Home
what slug are you fellas fond for in this behemoth. gonna work up a white tail load for culing this summer
I don't own one, I did have a .338 A2 which is a close cousin of the .338/378 Wby. In the A2 I used a 250 grain Nosler Partition IIRC at about 3120 fps from the 26" barrel.
This reminds me when taking a 338 WM on a cull hunt in Australia. It didn’t last long but the 243 sure worked great!
I'm getting good accuracy from 285 ELD-M in my 340. Not sure how they hold up at 3000 fps
To me this is a no contest category 300gr SMK.......................
225 E-Tip
225 TTSX in my sample of one rifle.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
what slug are you fellas fond for in this behemoth. gonna work up a white tail load for culing this summer

'Merica!
Originally Posted by smallfry
This reminds me when taking a 338 WM on a cull hunt in Australia. It didn’t last long but the 243 sure worked great!

I used mine to cull in Oz as well but the problem with this cartridge is that there is no such animals directly suited to it that cannot be taken with more or less, a lot less, especially in Oz.

I used 7 bullets from 200gn to 300 grain in this cartridge which did not seem to kill any better than the standard .338 but tended to roar and recoil more like its parent, the .378 Weatherby. Today, I would more likely suggest a 225gn bullet and IMR 7828 as a likely combination for general usage. The Barnes X range is likely the best match for this case and powder volume.
LOL, damn! if you're serious, you best hurry over to shootersproshop and get a dozen bags of the 338 cal 180gr Accubonds ordered, that'd make a dandy lower recoil deer bullet, no need to drive it over 3K.

I shoot 300gr Accubonds in mine at 3K with Retumbo, too damn much of a good thing for cull work, here or in Africa.
© 24hourcampfire