Home
I picked up a Jarrett rifle in 280AI Remington. Any recommendations on a good 200 to 300 yard bullet for deer? Make, type and grain?

I used 140gn Nosler Accubonds & RL19 in my Ruger M77 .280Rem. No complaints here.
160 AB in mine, my partners us the 150 Swift. Either will work fine.
Originally Posted by dingo

I used 140gn Nosler Accubonds & RL19 in my Ruger M77 .280Rem. No complaints here.

Same here. Though mine's a Remington.
140gn partition, they work
Banes LRX or Accubond
I am not a Gunwriter, thus the disclaimer: I have not shot the selection of different bullets that some may have such as Mule Deer and other writers on this forum, likely some other shooters too.

So far the most accurate bullet in my 7mm RM, my 280's and my 280AI is the Nosler Partition 150 grain bullet. That bullet in the 280AI should be good for most* any North American game animal in the USA, in my opinion. It shoots sub-minute of angle in each of those rifles mentioned. The second best bullet for accuracy that I've tested in one 280 and the 7mm RM is the 162 grain Hornady BT SP IL: I have not tried it in the other rifles mentioned - yet. Both these bullets have performed well on game for me. Another accurate bullet is the 139 Hornady IL, but I won't recommend it for anything bigger than coyotes, in the 280AI, at full velocity, however others might. I've killed exactly one deer with that bullet in the rifles mentioned and in the 7mm RM - a shot just behind the skull. I've also used it in a 7x57 on antelope where it worked very well.

Mono bullets shoot well too, however I have found that animals shot with mono bullets have traveled further after being shot than with traditional bullets - that's my experience and please I don't want to start an argument with mono lovers..

*That Nosler PT bullet would not be my choice for the big bears, but likely someone has and it worked OK, I don't know?

150 Partition and Ballistic Tip have served me well.
I've used the old 140 gr Nosler sold base in the 280 on antelope and deer. I think the 139 hornady SP IL one of the best deer bullets out there in the 7mm Rem mag started at 3175 fps, also used the 140 npt with complete satisfaction. Hard to find a 7mm bullet that don't work. Mb
Have only used a 150 BT in my 280. It works.

I run either the 150 gr Nosler BT, or the 154 gr Hornady SST in my 280. Both are tremendous bullets out of my 280.
I've found the Hornady 154 gr SST or the 150 gr ELD-X with Varget or IMR4350 work best in the BAR 280 I load for
Barnes TTSX, Nosler Partition, Accubonds, Ballistic tips.
I use Nosler 140 grain and 160 grain Partitions and Accubonds in my two 7x57s and they are great. I would think they would be even greater stepping up in the 280AI. The Hornady bullets also seem to have a great reputation in the.284 caliber rifles. Good places to start your search!

CJ
You will have a hard time finding a bad bullet. The classic load used in 280 Ackley for deer was the 140 grain Ballistic Tip. I have used that bullet as well as the 150 partition and the 160 Sierra Gameking and 160 Accubond.

Also had great luck with the 139 grain Hornady Interlock. There also many fans of the 120 grain Ballistic tip and 120 Grain Barnes TTSX.

As long as you pick a bullet designed for deer size game,staying away from varmit bullets or target bullets,you can hardly go wrong.
I have two .280AI's one likes the 150gr NP and the other dotes on the 160gr. NP. Good powders are R22, IMR7828, and H4831. I suspect H4831 would be near perfect for the .280.
I've used lots of 140 grain Accubonds in my Rem 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle in .280. They have worked great for deer and antelope.

I've also shot a bunch of deer with 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and they worked well too.
If I recall correctly, I have used the 139 Hornady Interlock Spire Point, 140 Barnes TSX, 140 Nosler AccuBond, and 150 & 160 Nosler Partitions to take pronghorns, deer, black bear and caribou with both the standard .280 and Ackley Improved. All of them worked fine, and ranges ran from under 100 yards to around 350.

Will also comment that the standard .280 handloaded to .270-type pressures gets muzzle velocities very close to the .280 Ackley Improved, because the "improving" doesn't really gain all that much powder room.
I have 4 loads I use in my .280's:

1. 140 Barnes TTSX, RL19
2. 140 Barnes TSX, IMR4350
3 Older, factory Federal 140 Accubond
4. Hornady 150 ELD-X, RL26

Everything from antelope to moose, covered!
given the current situation, I would shoot hateevr 7mm bullet you can find
I have used most of the bullets mentioned.

In the Nosler manual #4, there is a load with the 280 with a 160g at 2930 fps, and it works like a champ. My deer bullet for close range is the Sierra BTSP, you get massive internal damage and complete penetration.

Old School hornady 154g Sp shoots holes through both shoulders of very large hogs, impressive bullet rated as a Elk bullet.

I an the family have shot a lot of 139-140g of various configurations with IMR 4350 and R#19, very small groups abound.

You get round 100 fps more out of the AI, and never any case trimming. The AI starts showing out with 175-180g bullets, Now Treat yourself and use Lapua '06 brass for both...the education begins.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Will also comment that the standard .280 handloaded to .270-type pressures gets muzzle velocities very close to the .280 Ackley Improved, because the "improving" doesn't really gain all that much powder room.

John:

Is there a rule of thumb that you use to determine how/when you've loaded to .270-type pressure?

Thanks
Originally Posted by RevMike

John:

Is there a rule of thumb that you use to determine how/when you've loaded to .270-type pressure?

Thanks

Not John but you work up a load in your rifle that gives you the same velocity that you would expect with that powder and bullet weight in a 270.

For examle,if you are using 140 grain ballistic tips and IMR 4350,you can work up to the same velocity levels that one would expect in a 270 or to within 50-100 fps of the velocity that one would expect in a 280AI. Remember to keep barrel length in mind,don't try to get your 22 inch 280 to equal the velocity of a 26 inch 270 or 280AI.

Start with published 280 starting loads and work up in one grain increments watching carefully for sighs of excess pressure. Stop when you reach the target velocity unless you see pressure signs before you get there.

As a rule of thumb,you can get within a couple of grains of the published maximums for the 280 Ackley without issue.

John:

Thanks

If loading a 140 grain in the 280, i look at 270 data for a 130 and use that data
Originally Posted by jwp475

John:

Thanks

If loading a 140 grain in the 280, i look at 270 data for a 130 and use that data

I have done the same thing but it's a very good idea to start with published starting loads for whatever bullet your using in the 280. When you reach the maximum load for a slighly lighter bullet in a 270,your are in uncharted ground,good idea to get there carefully
My hunting partner has excellent results in a Kimber Mt Ascent 280AI using 7828 SSC and a 150 TTSX.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

John:

Thanks

I have done the same thing but it's a very good idea to start with published starting loads for whatever bullet your using in the 280. When you reach the maximum load for a slighly lighter bullet in a 270,your are in uncharted ground,good idea to get there carefully

Sectional density is very close with the 130 grain 270 VS the 140, 280 so not totally in uncharted territory

John:

Thanks

Yap, that was eventually the same technique I used. The .280 is capable of a little more velocity than the .270 with the same bullet weights, due to the larger bore. One of my ballistic formulas, listed in both GUN GACK I and II, is used in calculating the approximate relationship. I arrived at it by analyzing published data, and it worked out to be another 4-to-1 ration, like powder capacity: Any increase in bullet cross-sectional area results in a potential for about 1/4 as much velocity increase in cartridges of the same powder capacity but different bore sizes.

7mm bullets have about a 5% advantage in cross-sectional area over .270 bullets., and 1/4 of 5% is 1.25%. Add that to the slight increase in powder capacity of the .280, due to the shoulder being moved a little further forward than the .270's (preventing .280 rounds from chambering in .270s) and the .280s advantage works out to be about 2 to 2.5% % in velocity with the same bullet weight, or the ability to push bullets about 10 grains heavier at the same velocity.

Dunno how much all this matters in the real world, though. Have killed a bunch of big game with the 7mm-08, 7x57, .270 and .280/.280AI, and have never noticed any difference in the way any of 'em killed big game, given the performance of different bullets.
Great info from all of you. Thanks for all your help.
The 140 grain Sierra pro hunter is a well constructed bullet. My son used it in his 7mm 08 and killed many deer with it and shot through every one except the one he Texas heartshot. I was having trouble finding an accurate bullet for my Ruger M77 280 until I tried it and it shot great.
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
140gn partition, they work

Speaking of, check this out.

These offers don't usually last very long. Well, except the .257 115's and 120's. They seem to have quite a supply of those.

The 180 gr. .30 cal. NPT's didn't last long. We'll see how long these last.

https://www.shootersproshop.com/loa...m-140gr-partition-spitzer-blem-50ct.html

DF
140 gr Nos Bal Tip or 140 gr Nos accubond

Nosler 280AI brass 56.2 gr IMR-4166, 3.34", 3110 fps
thank you DF, I got some 140gr NPTs.

I am one of 'those guys' who haven't had best of luck getting Partitions to shoot, but now I will be trying again with a 280AI and H4350 / H4831sc ....
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
thank you DF, I got some 140gr NPTs.

I am one of 'those guys' who haven't had best of luck getting Partitions to shoot, but now I will be trying again with a 280AI and H4350 / H4831sc ....

When they do, they do. When they don't they don't....

My .240 Wby HS Precision loves the 100 gr NPT. It's the best shooting bullet in that rifle, like half MOA at 400 yds.

Other rifles, the NPT is down the list regarding accurate bullets.

Seems to me, there's not much rhyme or reason, just is what it is.

DF
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I picked up a Jarrett rifle in 280AI Remington. Any recommendations on a good 200 to 300 yard bullet for deer? Make, type and grain?

Little bit of clarification .. the subject says .280, the text says .280 AI.

When I had a .280 AI, my bullets of choice were the 160 grain Noslers, partition and accubond. I wasn't thinking deer-only, it was more of a general purpose rifle, so deer, cougar, black bear, and elk. Much the same for the 7mm mag and STW.

I haven't loaded for the standard .280. Spent a lot of time with the 7mm-08. Mine liked 140s. For a standard .280 I'd probably split the difference and look hard at the 150 grain partition.

Some people like 140s in the .280, standard and AI. I lean towards heavier bullets .. I preferred 150s and 160s to 130s in the .270 when I was shooting one. My 130 grain ballistic tip load was screamin' accurate but it wasn't what I wanted to hunt game with so I saved the 130s for big varmints. Not meaning to get off track, just pointing out I'm biased towards heavier bullets.

Tom

Same way I worked up a load with the 160 TBT with RL26, using 270 data, QL and a chrony.

For deer, I like the 150 Ballistic Tip out of my 280, shoots great and last buck I shot was around 130 yards and dropped on the spot.
In my first .280 the 150 Partition shot more accurately than the 140 and 160 Partions, so that's what I ended up using.

But in general I have found Partitions more accurate when pushed hard.

Hornady, Interlock, corn pile
140 grain Sierra Game King. Cheap, accurate, and kills chit dead!!!
140 gr. BST.

About (30) Antelope and (5) deer. All 1-shot kills, but they're all small animals, so no surprise.

Bought some Federal Premium 160 gr. TTBBC for Elk, but haven't used them yet. I always seem to grab a 33 or 35 for Elk, but I'm sure they'd work just fine.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

140 SGK HPBT is the most accurate bullet in my 7-08 over Big Game powder. And, it's a deer and hog killer.

DF
For your application, I’d strongly consider the 150 Partition. That’s a great all-purpose bullet for the .280.
Had great success with 150 gr. Ballistic Tips and 160 grain Nosler Partitions.
I used a 160gr NP load for my moose hunt last year. I'll probably use either 154gr Hornadys or 150gr NBTs for deer this fall.

Anyone use 120gr NBTs with a 280?
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I used a 160gr NP load for my moose hunt last year. I'll probably use either 154gr Hornadys or 150gr NBTs for deer this fall.

Why not stick with the 160 PTs? I don't see a downside, and you have a load worked up and a rifle sighted in for them.

BS! Everyone knows you need expensive premium bullets to kill deer! Why, they can absorb them cheap cup and core GKs like they were BBs.
My first recommendation would be to call Jarrett and ask for the tuning info on your rifle...what loads they worked up for it. They retain all their records for each rifle IF they tuned it. Call Jay or Kyle there. Kyle tunes 90% of their rifles currently. My Jarrett 280 AI loves Nosler 150 grain BT’s and RL-19. You’re welcome to PM me for more info I’d you wish.
Originally Posted by Borchardt

BS! Everyone knows you need expensive premium bullets to kill deer! Why, they can absorb them cheap cup and core GKs like they were BBs.

Yep.

That cheap stuff bounces off.

DF
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Why not stick with the 160 PTs? I don't see a downside, and you have a load worked up and a rifle sighted in for them.

No downside is right but I won't be going moose hunting this fall for sure and when I do go again, I'll probably use a 300H&H.

I have lots of other 7mm bullets here I'd rather use up first.
I am a firm believer in ONE LOAD per gun.

Mine is 160 grain Nosler Partition @ 2857fps out of my Remington 24" barrel, no pressure problems, groups very good, taken multiples of antelope, mule deer, elk and haven't recovered one yet.

Send a PM to dogzapper, I think that's one of his favorite loads. He doesn't post much any more but I bet he'd have good info on that load and how it's worked for him.
I am using 140 gr NBT, bought a bunch of them off of here that were moly coated. Using Norma 204 powder. It is shooting them 1/2 MOA and son used this combo to take his biggest whitetail buck to date this past fall. It worked very well. It is a as 280AI
139gr interlocks in my brothers .280 has made him a happy hunter for years.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My first recommendation would be to call Jarrett and ask for the tuning info on your rifle...what loads they worked up for it. They retain all their records for each rifle IF they tuned it. Call Jay or Kyle there. Kyle tunes 90% of their rifles currently. My Jarrett 280 AI loves Nosler 150 grain BT’s and RL-19. You’re welcome to PM me for more info I’d you wish.

This seems like exceptionally good advice.

Cheers,
Rex
Here is one fairly comprehensive reply by dogzapper on the subject of 120gr 7mm bullets:

To summarize: I started using the Nosler .284" 120-grain Ballistic Tip several years ago. A friend of mine who worked at Nosler at the time told me that the bullet was a total flop with varmint hunters (duhhhhh grin), but that the rifle metal silhouette shooters used a zillion of them.

Nosler got complaints from the rifle silhouette shooters because the bullet was too frangible to consistently tip over the 500 meter ram. Because the rifle silhouette use was seemingly the only market for the 7-120, Nosler made the jacket considerably heavier than the original design.

This change was intended to satisfy the silhouette shooters complaints, but an inintended consequence was that they unwittingly made one heck of a big game bullet.

The first I heard of it was my friend at Nosler was shooting California wild boars through both shoulders (both gristle plates) with the 120 in a 7-08. Full penetration and very dead pigs!!!

Please bear in mind that the silhouette story above is purely legend, but if you will split a 7-120, you will find the jacket is waaaay heavy. Actually, it resembles the .338 BTs, which are heavy and are sure killers on larger critters.

Down to your question, "What has Dogzapper shot with the 120s?" Answer: A bit of stuff.

I've killed a couple of 6X6 bull elk. Not big ones, but around 290 B&C and decent bodies for five year olds. One was shot from above, looking away at 375 yards, the bullet entered the spine behind the shoulder and was found under the hide of the chest. Expanded to .75" or so and the recovered bullet weighs about 100 grains (it's around here someplace and it's a big lead and copper ball.

Second bull was 400ish. Not to be fancy, I shot the bull through the center of the shoulder. The bullet broke both shouders and was recovered under the far hide. The bullet is identical to the first bull's bullet.

Both of these were killed with the 7-08 Ackley.

Other kills with the gun and bullet were a large Montana mule buck at way too close, peeking though a juniper tree at first light. Horns were big and so was he and I had to hit the only open thing I could see ... an eyeball. And I did.

Bullet went clear through the head and didn't break the skull. Exited leaving a one-inch hole.

Another Montana mulie was probably the largest-bodied mule I've ever shot in Montana. He was aged at 9 1/2 years in Great Falls game stop (by a PhD professor of big game). I knew the buck intimately and had not been able to kill him the three previous years. I caught him in a herd of over 100 does, with head low and his dick hanging out. Saw him at over 400 yards in the dusk and made a running open field stalk ... closed to 205 yards and shot him a little too high behind the shoulder. Spined him, dead right there, bullet fully penetrated leaving a 2" exit.

There's a few more deer with the 7-08 and some antelope, but the tale is always the same.

I've also used the 120 in the .280 Ackley @ 3,370 fps.

Shot a moose one morning with it. Range was 91 yards and the three year old dumbly stood in the middle of a farm two-track. I shot him under the chin, slightly to my right, trying to break the spine upon exit. One or both carotids were broken, C-2 vertabrae was totally missing and the bullet exited leaving a two-inch hole. For all I know, it may still be in low orbit of the earth.

Mickey Moose died right there.

I've shot many antelope with the bullet in the .280 Ackley. Ranges from 100 to over 500 yards. Nver missed a got with it and never shot twice. Total penetration from most any angle, except for one old and large buck that I shot fully in the chest and recovered the bullet (deadliest mushroom in the woods) right next to his bunghole. I guess you'd call it full-penetration of a goat, minus one-eighth inch.

Lotsa mule deer and whitetails. Normally full penetration. Don't remember ever recovering a bullet from a deer. Exits usually rin one to two inches.

You ask about maximum recommended impact velocity on deer and elk. Heck I don't know, I just go out there and kill stuff.

I don't know that I'd recommend it on elk of moose. I have a habit of hunting deer with the tags for big critters also in my pocket. I carry 120s and sometimes magic happens. If I was purposely hunting elk or mooses only, I'd probably up-bullet to a 139 Hornady Interlocked in both the 7SGLC and the .280 Ackely.

Or for really big stuff, like the Asian water buffalo I killed a couple of years ago, I used the 154 Hornady Interlocked in my .280. I severed both carotids and created a buffalo blood fountain that was quite beautiful.

Anyway, I've written way too much. Use it or don't, it's not a matter of honor or pride. I use the 120 and am not prejudiced and find it kills the schit out of stuff without ruining a lot of meat.

In truth, the 120 Ballistic is considerably "harder" and in my experience will out-penetrate the 140 Ballistic Tip.

I also find the 139 Hornady Interlocked (plain, cheap cup-n-core) to be one heck of a great bullet.

Those of us who love medium sized 7mm cartridges are truly blessed with a plethora of excellent big game bullets.

I'm tired of writing and have to get to church. Hope this helps.

Steve
PS: He wrote that in 2009.

I had a Jarrett in 280 AI. Tiny little bug hole groups were the norm w 140 Nosler Accubonds and a full charge of RL 22.

My current 280 AI shoots the same load.

Nosler 150 Ballistic tips are excellent in this caliber as well.
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Godogs57

This seems like exceptionally good advice.

Cheers,
Rex

I do have 60/80? Kenny Jarrett's hand packed custom loads and they do shoot bug holes I am just getting into handloading and looking for other loads to work up. Please send me an email if you have some to give or sell that I could experiment with. Thanks to all of you.
Your stated application is not highly demanding, and you have what ought to be a very well built rifle. It should be quite simple to arrive at several good loads that are more than up to the task.

What die set do you have?
A 140 trophy bonded Bear Claw.
Originally Posted by hanco
A 140 trophy bonded Bear Claw.

For deer?
My 280 loves 139gr SSTs. 8 or 9 one shot deer kills, and very accurate

PS: not sure Sierra bullets qualify as "cheap" any more....
Originally Posted by mathman
Your stated application is not highly demanding, and you have what ought to be a very well built rifle. It should be quite simple to arrive at several good loads that are more than up to the task.

What die set do you have?

Will also need to look at dies since I am just starting to look at reloading. Any suggestions?
Your options are limited because of the cartridge and 2021 supply issues. I did a little looking around for in stock items and this is the one set I found:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101244296?pid=196260

It will get you started. I'd change out the supplied expander ball for this one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012654171?pid=872356
Originally Posted by southtexas
My 280 loves 139gr SSTs. 8 or 9 one shot deer kills, and very accurate ....

Good news on that - can you expand a little - typical distances, did they typically exit, will they punch through a shoulder at close range ?

I had excellent results from the old 139gr Interlock flat base under 200 yards, but BC = 'flying brick' which limits me at longer ranges...

I was looking at 139SST (maybe 154 or 162 SST) as a alternative . thanks
Closest was 60 yards, farthest was 210.All exited except two, One mature buck at 210 looking straight at me. Bullet was lost somewhere in the guts, The other was a buck at 97 yards. Bullet broke both shoulders and lodged under the skin on the off side, nice mushroom.

Only one runner: mature doe in a rare open area, so I went for a lung shot. She ran about 125 yards

MV is 2950ish..
Got about 400 remington 140gr SPs laying around.
Pops ran em in a 7mm 08 Striker.

I had a .280 #1 and shot the 150gr factory stuff.

No deer big enough to test it on last yr.
Another vote for 120 NBTs. They kill deer noticeably faster than the heavier bullets. Don't know why, but they do. Also killed a big bull caribou with them out of a 7-08. If you were going after elk or shooting past 300 I might suggest something else but for deer under 300 yards I don't think there is a better bullet. Sort of has to be seen to believed. Stuff usually staggers a few steps and falls dead.
Tag
donsm70

I'm using the 140 grain TTSX
Originally Posted by southtexas
Closest was 60 yards, farthest was 210.All exited except two, One mature buck at 210 looking straight at me. Bullet was lost somewhere in the guts, The other was a buck at 97 yards. Bullet broke both shoulders and lodged under the skin on the off side, nice mushroom.

Only one runner: mature doe in a rare open area, so I went for a lung shot. She ran about 125 yards

MV is 2950ish..

thank you !
Again members, thanks for all the great recommendations and suggestions..
I don't have a 280 anymore but do still have a 280 AI and for deer a NBT 140 GR has done me very well
Originally Posted by luv2safari

No downside is right but I won't be going moose hunting this fall for sure and when I do go again, I'll probably use a 300H&H.

I have lots of other 7mm bullets here I'd rather use up first.

In that case I agree. I've always liked the Hornady 139gr BT and 154gr InterLocks. They travel well and kill the same.

I use my old stock of them in my 7X65R drillings. The 7X64 and 7X65R are the 280's European cousins.
© 24hourcampfire