Home
Posted By: powdr Whelen barrel - 04/27/21
You guys have more experience at selecting different kinds of barrels. Thinking about building a Whelen. What is the lightest barrel I can get by with? powdr
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Whelen barrel - 04/28/21
I would not want anything smaller than ~.660 at the muzzle. I like my 35's to be at about .700 at the muzzle at about 20-22" What length are you planning on going with? Will you be using a break? will You be using the correct length of pull. I need about a 14.5 LOP or the shorter lighter barrel is alot less enjoyable. Having said that when I have to have the longer stock I feel like anything less then 20" is kind of akward looking and feeling. YMMV
Posted By: powdr Re: Whelen barrel - 04/30/21
06, going to be 22in and really do want it as light as I can. I have a 14in LOP and will be using a fiberglass stock. Thanks for the feedback. powdr
Posted By: Judman Re: Whelen barrel - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by powdr
You guys have more experience at selecting different kinds of barrels. Thinking about building a Whelen. What is the lightest barrel I can get by with? powdr

I went Remington sporter contour @22”, light handy and shoots great
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Whelen barrel - 04/30/21
Powdr, you may plan to stick with lighter bullets, and it's your party....but.the Whelen can thump you a little when shooting 225s and 250s. Stock fit matters, no doubt, but a little more weight might not be so undesirable.

Remember, that barrel is going to have a pretty good sized hole in it from stem to stern so it'll be lighter than a similar barrel bored .277" or .284".
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Whelen barrel - 04/30/21
Have owned three.35 Whelens, two the standard and one an Ackley Improved. All had Remington standard-contour sporter barrels, though one was a .30-06 rebored by JES. All grouped three shot into an inch or less at 100 yards. And the rebore was am old 760 pump.
Posted By: powdr Re: Whelen barrel - 05/01/21
Thanks guys. Much help and it is appreciated. powdr
© 24hourcampfire