Home
Picked up a few red boxes of'em for the Ruger African, along w/ an assortment of other .366/286 gr. bullets.

[Linked Image from safarioutdoor.co.za]

Norma - has started re-brandin'em as .366.

Any problems runnin'em through the Ruger 9.3x62mm?

TIA.

GR
Pretty good thread here... although not your caliber specifically.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15067454/norma-oryx-bullets

Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Pretty good thread here... although not your caliber specifically.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15067454/norma-oryx-bullets

Was wondering if the .365 dia. was for a different 9.3mm cartridge, or if it is just European convention resulting from rounding the metric to inches.

GR
[/quote] Was wondering if the .365 dia. was for a different 9.3mm cartridge, or if it is just European convention resulting from rounding the metric to inches.[/quote]

I doubt it. I have a box of the 286 Oryx bullets, and on three different calipers (two digital and one dial) they just measured .365".

Out of curiosity, at the same time I measured two other brands of 9.3mm bullets, and they also went .365".

All three shoot very well from my CZ 550 9.3x62.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was wondering if the .365 dia. was for a different 9.3mm cartridge, or if it is just European convention resulting from rounding the metric to inches.

I doubt it. I have a box of the 286 Oryx bullets, and on three different calipers (two digital and one dial) they just measured .365".

Out of curiosity, at the same time I measured two other brands of 9.3mm bullets, and they also went .365".

All three shoot very well from my CZ 550 9.3x62.

Thanks MD.

Maybe w/ the increase in popularity now on both sides of the pond, they have settled on the American .366/286 convention.

Will load'em w/ confidence.

Looks like a hell of an energy dumper.

Thanks again.

GR
Has anyone used the 325 gr Oryx on a 9.3x62 on very large game such as grizzly, moose, cape buffalo etc. If so what kind of results have you gotten?

Here is a video on penetration on water jugs with some 9.3mm bullets. The 325 gr one seems to be a cut above. I know water jug test are not the same as real game animal. But it gives a place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwFAVZmk7u4
This got me curious too, so I got out the calipers and micrometer and checked all my 9.3 bullets. On the calipers both Euro bullets (Lapua and PPU 285s) looked spot on at .365; the micrometer showed them as .3652-.3653, so I made the subsequent measurements with the mic.
Both the Nosler bullets (250 AB and 286 PT) mic'ed .3655ish.
Both Hornady bullets (250 GMX and 286 InterLock) mic'ed right at .3659 to .3660
The Speer 270s also measure .3660.

Don't know if this means anything, just adding some more data to the discussion regarding diameter.

Rex
Originally Posted by TRexF16
This got me curious too, so I got out the calipers and micrometer and checked all my 9.3 bullets. On the calipers both Euro bullets (Lapua and PPU 285s) looked spot on at .365; the micrometer showed them as .3652-.3653, so I made the subsequent measurements with the mic.
Both the Nosler bullets (250 AB and 286 PT) mic'ed .3655ish.
Both Hornady bullets (250 GMX and 286 InterLock) mic'ed right at .3659 to .3660
The Speer 270s also measure .3660.

Don't know if this means anything, just adding some more data to the discussion regarding diameter.

Rex

Thanks, good to know.

Have and shoot the SPEER 270 gr. as well, and the HDY 286 gr. (for load development for the 286 gr. A-Frames).

GR
© 24hourcampfire