Home
Did we already discuss small rifle primers, in this case Remington 6-1/2, in place of small pistol primers for 9mm and 38/357?
Numerous times.

Fear not.
Copy.
I would NOT substitute rifle primers with pistol primers, nor would I do it the other way around.
Chronograph results covering the 9mm and .38 Special in this thread. Bottom line is yes, it's fine.

Testing Pistol Ammo Loaded With Small Rifle Primers vs Small Pistol Primers

Dunno why some people make a big deal about doing this, as if it were "dangerous."

As has been pointed out elsewhere, some "small pistol primers" are actually the same as some "small rifle primers." The CCI 400 SR primer is also the CCI 550 Magnum SP primer.
Me too. My experience turned up about the same results as the link Jim posted. I was using rifles, the .22 GTC and the .30 Sneezer. The spread was in the 35-50 FPS range
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno why some people make a big deal about doing this, as if it were "dangerous."

As has been pointed out elsewhere, some "small pistol primers" are actually the same as some "small rifle primers." The CCI 400 SR primer is also the CCI 550 Magnum SP primer.

I don't remember when I got them but it was decades ago, I have thousands of Federal 200 small rifle primers.
I have used them in 222 Rem loads and 9mm/357 Mag loads, they always seem to work great. now days Federal 200's are small pistol magnum primers
Only possible problem I see is with possible light strikes in some revolvers, especially when fired DA. A tough SRP might be a problem, might not. One good way to find out.
I have no concerns about small primers unless the shortage continues for another few years. My beef lies with large primers. I wish they had coordinated the heights of LP and LR primers. I like to use LP's in certain rifle cartridges with light cast bullet loads and live in fear of pitting the breech faces of my vintage High Walls and Ballards with them. That fear may well be somewhat unfounded but I've heard enough warnings about it to give me pause.
Video on the topic.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jKb9Eey6Mc
There was some good discussion here David:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...le-for-small-pistol-primers#Post16005297
Thx Paul
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Only possible problem I see is with possible light strikes in some revolvers, especially when fired DA. A tough SRP might be a problem, might not. One good way to find out.

Most likely probable , I have some "k" framed SW 's that have been turned to.light for 100% DA reliabilty.. mb
© 24hourcampfire