Home
Posted By: powdr Thinking about my first McMillan - 09/15/21
Guys, help me out. Should I go thru Rick? How much can I expect to pay and of course how long is the wait? Kinda scares me throwing that much money at a custom stock. Help. powdr
Originally Posted by powdr
Guys, help me out. Should I go thru Rick? How much can I expect to pay and of course how long is the wait? Kinda scares me throwing that much money at a custom stock. Help. powdr

What rifle are you going to throw it on?
Remington 700 in 6mm or 358. Looking at Remington Sporter. powdr
Someone here may have a used one you can buy at a much discounted price. That's what I always did when I was looking for a good mcmillan stock. They are very nice. Rigid as hell and light, some more than others. I've found used Mcmillans here for around $350.00. That way you can try one out and not get hurt too much if you decide you don't like it. Selling a used one is pretty easy too, as there are always guys looking for them.. Good luck with it..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Someone here may have a used one you can buy at a much discounted price. That's what I always did when I was looking for a good mcmillan stock. They are very nice. Rigid as hell and light, some more than others. I've found used Mcmillans here for around $350.00. That way you can try one out and not get hurt too much if you decide you don't like it. Selling a used one is pretty easy too, as there are always guys looking for them.. Good luck with it..

Great advice. The fact you’re looking for a stock for a 700 makes it that much more likely you’ll find one here sooner or later.
Remington 700 in 6mm or 358. Looking at Remington Sporter. powdr

Never ordered through Rick, but it seems like he has a good deal with them. I have typically ordered direct since they offer a decent veterans deal.

I'll echo BSA's thoughts, McMillan has been excellent for me and I'll continue to use them on rifles that need to work and function on tougher hunts.
Had a good deal.

Originally Posted by RickBin
McMillan was bought recently, and the new owner decided he didn’t want to do business with Internet retailers anymore, is what I was told.

So, after a good run, we are now out of the McMillan business, except for an order or two still in production.

Manners and Grayboe are in play soon.

I know this goes against the wisdom of the 'fire but I'd think hard about it. McMillan makes a perfectly wonderful product, and I'm sure after the nuclear holocaust a McMillan stock would still be in serviceable shape.

That said, they are expensive as hell, you'll wait a long time for one. If you were 25 years old and had enough sense to buy and use that one gun for everything, McMillan is your huckleberry, cause it will last a lifetime.

Otherwise theres a slew of other stocks out there that will give you great service at a fraction of the price...for a looooong time. JMHO...YMMV
^^ that's great advice.
You`re right...there was an article recently in one of the gun magazines I get..can`t remember which, but 4-5 composite stocks were tested, including the above mentioned, for accuracy etc, using the same barreled action in each, Mag-Pul won.
There are many choices.
Originally Posted by ingwe

I know this goes against the wisdom of the 'fire but I'd think hard about it. McMillan makes a perfectly wonderful product, and I'm sure after the nuclear holocaust a McMillan stock would still be in serviceable shape.

That said, they are expensive as hell, you'll wait a long time for one. If you were 25 years old and had enough sense to buy and use that one gun for everything, McMillan is your huckleberry, cause it will last a lifetime.

Otherwise theres a slew of other stocks out there that will give you great service at a fraction of the price...for a looooong time. JMHO...YMMV

Agree 100% with the Poobah. I've never had a rifle shoot better just by putting in a McMillan, plus the new owner is a complete jackwagon.
For a factory 700 SA sporter contour (likely the easiest and most common to find) and you're not terribly fussy about the color or color combinations, I'd put a WTB in the classifieds. Expect to pay $400-$475(ish) for a used stock with standard fill and $500-$550(ish - maybe more) for a used stock with Edge fill.

But as mentioned above, McMillan is far from being the only game in town.

If you do put a WTB for a McMillan in the classifieds, you're not going to find one for $200 no matter how many times you bump it, so perhaps pick up the first decent offer you get. wink
I just sold a l unused Mountain rifle stock for $550.00, that's what I think is the current market for a used 1. The Remington 700 sportster is a copy of The SAKO AIII classic stock & feels great.
Since the McMillan changeover I don't think you can go through Rick any longer.

I may be mistaken.
Originally Posted by Ky221

I may be mistaken.

Yeah, somebody quoted Rick previously.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Ky221

I may be mistaken.

Yeah, somebody quoted Rick previously.

Doesn't show up for me. My mistake.
I havent bought a McM for a while because I haven't needed one.

What are the correlative alternatives beyond Manners? HS Precision that I've seen have been way heavy. Havent actually had a Law/Bansner in hand. What are the others, especially those more affordable?
Have a few and love them all. Ordered almost all directly from McMillan and have had no issues with any of the custom features I requested. My least favorite was the Remington Sporter but probably just me. Classic, Game Scout, A5 have all been great for various purposes. Many of mine required 0 bedding and shot very very well.
What other stocks are comparable to McM that are being sold. powdr
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15603777/1

Dave
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You`re right...there was an article recently in one of the gun magazines I get..can`t remember which, but 4-5 composite stocks were tested, including the above mentioned, for accuracy etc, using the same barreled action in each, Mag-Pul won.
There are many choices.

Sadly the only thing that proves is the action fit in that stock the best with the least amount of movement and stress on the receiver/barreled action. That doesn't mean it's going to be that way with every rifle. Also a very good reason to glass bed your rifle.. Had the barreled action been properly glass bedded into each stock, there would have been no difference in accuracy between any of them.
My advice, skip the McMillan. Have had some really bad service from them in the past few years. Stocks that were not made properly to my order and sent back more than once to be done correctly. I made the mistake of giving them more than one shot to build stocks for me and unlike so many McMillan fans didn't have a great experience. Long story but I can summarize it by saying their QA sucks and when you call them out on it their customer service was worse.

You want a nice stock and are willing to spend the money, my advice is to buy a Brown Pound'r. 100% opposite experience with Mark than with McMillan. YMMV
Originally Posted by 30338
Have a few and love them all. Ordered almost all directly from McMillan and have had no issues with any of the custom features I requested. My least favorite was the Remington Sporter but probably just me. Classic, Game Scout, A5 have all been great for various purposes. Many of mine required 0 bedding and shot very very well.

This I am interested in. I have a Defiance Deviant and was planning to order a Rem Sporter from McM. What didn't you like about it Kurt? I wanna keep the rifle light and planned on EDGE'ing it!
Last 3 McMillans were delivered in a month and a half....or less!!!

Check to see if Rick is still able to get them....McMillan went through a big turnover in ownership.
I only have about a half dozen McMillan stocks. The one directly through McMillan was a terrible long awkward ordering process. They called me back many times for he same into and never got it right. And a terrible stock.

The other ~5, I ordered through Stocky's.
No BS on the phone there. They took care of business. Those stocks were perfect.
© 24hourcampfire