Home
Posted By: Bugger Dyna Bore again - 10/27/21
I thought I'd actually "test" how well Dyna bore would work on a rifle. It was my 300 H&H pre-64 Mod 70. I cleaned the bore to the metal. Then I fired 30 rounds through it. I cleaned it to the metal once more - a grievous process that took quite a few patches, JB cleaner, some good brass remover. I finally got it clean, it took quite awhile and work. Then I coated it with Dyna Bore treatment. Shot 20 rounds and I cleaned it again. 15 minutes and it was clean. I had not tried this "before and after treatment" and to say the least, I was impressed.

I went to their WEB site and was surprised that the site was mainly about treating bullet molds no mention of bore treatment. Anyone have experience with Dyna Bore and bullet molds?
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/27/21
Did you see any change in accuracy? Just curious if it would help a rifle that I just can't get to shoot up to its potential. It seems to shoot better with a dirty bore and I have thought about the DBC treatment to see if it would help.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
DBC might or might not help.

It's helped my barrels the most when they tend to copper-foul quicker than other barrels. In general, I've found that barrels which shoot better when somewhat fouled tend to not copper-foul much. Instead they seem to be more sensitive to powder fouling.
Posted By: pullit Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
I tried it on a couple of barrels myself. As stated cleaning a barrel back to metal is a job but I did it (and I keep my barrels fairly clean to start with) I applied DBC and shot it about 15-20 time, it was easy to clean with just a few patches and some Shooter Choice. I saw no difference in accuracy.

The next barrel was brand new so just a few patches to clean it up and I was good to go. I applied DBC and did the barrel break in. When I was cleaning between shots, there was nothing coming out on the patches. Super easy to clean. As far as accuracy goes on that one, I have nothing to gauge against but it was very accurate.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
I have put DBC on most of my rifle’s bores. This was the first one that I cleaned to metal, shot it, cleaned to metal, DBC, shot it and cleaned it again. I am very impressed!
As far as comparing accuracy, a couple of things: I glass bedded the action at the same time as the DBC so accuracy test would not be valid. I didn’t think of that test. Besides in the past two weeks we’ve had over 8” of rain and it’s been cold, muddy and windy. Part of my range was under water for a week.
In another rifle, I found that accuracy deteriorated the first couple of groups, then shot as well as before after that (maybe better). I’m thinking on my prairie dog rifles it has to help as I might put a few hundred rounds down the barrel before cleaning.

But the question I asked regarding bullet molds; anyone try this?:
What is the purpose?
Does it help releasing the bullet?
Does it help fill out the mold?
Or is it for rust protection?
Or is it a combination of a couple things?
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
"Shot 20 rounds and I cleaned it again. 15 minutes and it was clean."

15 minutes? One minute, two patches would be impressive
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by 5thShock

Which is what usually happens after I install it. Though it would also depend on the solvent and cleaning technique.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21

15 minutes because of the solvent(s) I use: I let it set in the bore for a while to let it work to get the copper out. I wasn't cleaning it for 15 minutes with continuous patches. I have most different solvents on my bench, including some that were I remember as the sweet hearts for the shooters in the 70's and 80's. (Sweets, Butches Bore Shine, Shooters Choice and newer copper removal and residue removal solvents). I even have Hoppe's Number 9, because it reminds me...

What the first patch looked like was black from powder residue and a very slight hint of blue. I don't think DBC installation eliminates powder residue so much as copper fowling. But the powder residue was removed very easily too.

The previous cleaning was over a few days, I let the solvent I used set over several nights and I cleaned it every few hours during the day. Yes, the improvement was significant and impressive.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
Good, I'm gettin' some.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/28/21
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Did you see any change in accuracy? Just curious if it would help a rifle that I just can't get to shoot up to its potential. It seems to shoot better with a dirty bore and I have thought about the DBC treatment to see if it would help.

I've not seen Dyna Bore "helping" innate barrel accuracy. A barrel will do what it's gonna do; it is what it is.

DBC does seem to help cut down on copper fouling, which can disrupt accuracy.

So, it won't make a barrel more accurate, IME it does keep an accurate barrel performing well for longer strings of shots.

Agree that some barrels shoot better with powder fouling, not likely though, with a lot of copper build up.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
DF,

Exactly my experience as well.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
I've used it on more than a dozen barrels, including stainless AR's & it definitely reduces copper fouling & the barrels clean very easily.

I will keep using it on any new barrel & will be doing another AR barrel this weekend.

MM
MontanMan,

As I have mentioned before when discussing DBC, I like shooting rifles a lot more than cleaning rifles!
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

As I have mentioned before when discussing DBC, I like shooting rifles a lot more than cleaning rifles!

+1000
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
MontanMan,

Yup! I’m betting that not many guys would say otherwise.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21

the stuff is amazing when used on a front stuffer… I used to get 2 shots with not swabbing, I can get nearly 6-8 now…. Crazy.

Same for shotguns, no powder ring or melted wad derbies.
Spotshooter,

Which is why more than one muzzleloader company started installing DBC at the factory.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
Is Brownells still the pace to buy DBC?
Got a prefit Proof that’s not been test fired so I want to coat it before the first round.
Both Brownells and Midway list it in stock.

When I last talked to the company that makes DBC, a couple years ago, they confessed that it was such a small part of their business that they wanted to have some other company market it. I suggested Brownells and Midwayas good candidates, but they had already had great luck with both companies--and apparently followed through on their experience....
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
Spotshooter,

Which is why more than one muzzleloader company started installing DBC at the factory.

I did not realize that… thanks.

After I coated my Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 cal. When I would run my swab down after 1-2 shots the rod would bottom out and I’d let it go to change my grip to pull it up, and the thing would fly back up / out because the bore was so slick - the compression pressure caused it because I leave the used cap on when I run my cleaning pass. It sure surprised the heck out of me.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/29/21
MontanMan,

For sure. When I go to the range, many times, it's with 4 - 6 rifles & tedious cleaning of those guns becomes a real chore.

But simply running a few wet patches through a gun makes it pretty quick work.

MM
Posted By: GSSP Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/31/21
I've got two, new, LBT molds i've yet to try yet. This is something I'm going to look into.

Bugger, do you have the exact link to their website?

Thank you,

Alan
Posted By: Bugger Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/31/21
https://www.dyna-tek.com/
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Dyna Bore again - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by Bugger
I thought I'd actually "test" how well Dyna bore would work on a rifle. It was my 300 H&H pre-64 Mod 70. I cleaned the bore to the metal. Then I fired 30 rounds through it. I cleaned it to the metal once more - a grievous process that took quite a few patches, JB cleaner, some good brass remover. I finally got it clean, it took quite awhile and work. Then I coated it with Dyna Bore treatment. Shot 20 rounds and I cleaned it again. 15 minutes and it was clean. I had not tried this "before and after treatment" and to say the least, I was impressed.

I went to their WEB site and was surprised that the site was mainly about treating bullet molds no mention of bore treatment. Anyone have experience with Dyna Bore and bullet molds?

🤣 Been that way for 2 years now.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dyna Bore again - 11/01/21
Bugger,

Might mention that DBC has indeed resulted in better accuracy in some rifles, primarily those with pitted bores. In good bores there's never been much change, but it has especially helped in older rifles with lead bullets. One example would be the .25-20 Winchester Model 92 I had for a while, which had noticeable pits, probably from corrosive primers. It would NOT shoot cast bullets worth a darn until I DBC'd it, and groups shrank from 3-4" to 2" or less with the factory open sights.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Dyna Bore again - 11/11/21
A while back, a friend gave me a muzzleloader he said was ruined. It had been shot and left to rust. The bore was pitted pretty badly. I took it home, cleaned it to bare steel, swabbed the bore with acetone to remove all chemicals, treated it with DBC, put it away and forgot about it. Six years later I thought about hunting the muzzleloader season. I took the rifle out and shot it. It shot accurately, cleaned easily, and I could shoot 10 or more shots and still have no problem loading a bullet. The bore stayed slick.

I haven't tried DBC on a rifle, but I will soon. I just ordered a bottle from Midway.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Dyna Bore again - 11/11/21
i used DBC in my Ruger #1 257 Weatherby mag . that has a Brux barrel on it, i installed DBC 2 years ago and have not cleaned the barrel yet ,mainly because i shoot less than 10 rounds a year in this deer hunting rifle .
in my 257 Creedmoor i shoot plenty i did put DBC in that Brux barrel and this barrel stays cleaner i have noticed when i do clean this barrel , i do use patch - out cleaner all the time too. i feel its a worth while product to use in a barrel , never have used DBC in a muzzle loader but that sounds like a great ideal too !
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Dyna Bore again - 11/12/21
Does a plastic sabot in a muzzleloader or shotgun slug barrel do the tight job to “set” the DBC? I’m assuming the friction snd heat if firing work together to “set” whatever compound is in the DBC.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dyna Bore again - 11/12/21
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Does a plastic sabot in a muzzleloader or shotgun slug barrel do the tight job to “set” the DBC? I’m assuming the friction snd heat if firing work together to “set” whatever compound is in the DBC.

The primary source of heat is the hot powder gas.
© 24hourcampfire