Home
....on www.riflesandrecipes.com, for those Campfire members who subscribe.
Good news, ready for a new read.
JB,

Will you roll those new Remington 308s on your runout fixture for part of your test?

m
Thanks for the reminder. I'll try to get to it this week despite being in the middle of deer season preparations and moving a ladder stand to a new spot on a friend's property. It's always a good read and looked forward to.
mathman,

Funny that you ask. Today I did just that with a random sample of 10 rounds. Only one had more than .003 run-
out....
I'm pleasantly surprised. That's pretty darn good for mass market ammo.
Yeah, was surprised as well!

It will also be interesting to shoot some in our .308s, all of which are quite accurate, and then measure the brass.
Good stuff, as usual.
Kudos to you and Eileen; great issue, as usual.

BTW, you mention that since you've been maturing you've started to "downsize" your rifles. What are you hunting with most nowadays?

Mike
Just checked my hunting notes, and the last 10 cartridges I used on big game animals were the 6.5x57R, .30-06, 7mm-08, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmoor, ..22-250, .308 Winchester, .257 Roberts and .243 Winchester. Took more with the .308 than any other round, partly because some of the hunts have been hosted by rifle manufacturers, and partly because I really like my present .308, a Merkel K1 break-action single shot. The animals included feral pigs, pronghorns, whitetails, mule deer and elk.

Have recently reduced my centerfire rifle collection down to 37 from 50, and several sold have been chambered for cartridges at the top end, including a .338 Winchester Magnum, .375 H&H and .416 Rigby.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have recently reduced my centerfire rifle collection down to 37 from 50

Sweet Baby Jesus!! I'm sure there's a 12-Step program somewhere.... laugh
I'm askeered of commenting after that buck pic article laugh
© 24hourcampfire