Home
In the next few days, I am going to Llano Tx to visit Ms. Berit Aagaard Pace. I am going to be reading a lot of Finn's unpublished work. Journals, notes, records, etc. Possible some things I may see, may be the first anyone other than Finn has laid eyes on. This type stuff has always interested me. What really happened/worked, compared to what suited for an article. I'll make a report if I find something interesting if ya'll want to know.
Charlie
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
In the next few days, I am going to Llano Tx to visit Ms. Berit Aagaard Pace. I am going to be reading a lot of Finn's unpublished work. Journals, notes, records, etc. Possible some things I may see, may be the first anyone other than Finn has laid eyes on. This type stuff has always interested me. What really happened/worked, compared to what suited for an article. I'll make a report if I find something interesting if ya'll want to know.
Charlie

That's great Charlie! I know you knew Finn.

Give my best to Berit and wish her a Merry Christmas from Brad in Bozeman. We corresponded a bit a couple years ago. Such a nice lady.
I would be very interested! Finn was likely my all time favorite outdoor writer with much practical knowledge and experience.
I will try to follow this closely.
Les
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I would be very interested! Finn was likely my all time favorite outdoor writer with much practical knowledge and experience.
I will try to follow this closely.
Les

+1!
Please do. He’s one of my favorite writers. Plain spoken and knew what he was talking about.
This is exciting!
tag

This will be very interesting
Very looking forward to what you have to share to us "Finn" fans.
I for one would certainly be interested. He absolutely was a rare breed among writers with the type of background he had.
I would be very interested in your findings.
Be interesting to see what you come up with. Finn was a favorite.
OUTSTANDING !
Finn was a favorite......
Our regards to Berit.
Great Offer!
I'll just have to hurry up and wait.
Finn was one of my favorite gun writers.
Hi Charlie,

Please give Berit our regards! We were very sorry to hear about Bill.

She brought some of that to the event you held on the ranch near Uvalde in 2006. She particularly pointed out where he mentioned one of my articles favorably in his ballistic notes, which was very neat! Unfortunately, Finn and I didn't get to spend as much time together as we'd hoped...

I also remember how Berit and Eileen hit it off instantly, and started yakking about cooking big game! We gave them some of my SH oryx meat--which of course they reported was excellent.

Also let Berit know I would happy to help with Finn's notes in any way.
He was a great gun writer. I envy your access to this material. Please keep us up to speed on your findings.
👍👍👍
What an exciting opportunity, Charlie! I’d love to follow your discoveries as you uncover those treasures.

Tim
charlie,
this should be interesting
i very much look forward to reading about what you learn
I met Bill and Berit shooting black powder silhouette. Both were wonderful people to be around. One day Berit had Finns .375 at the range, She was preparing to hunt a water buff, I believe. While I didn’t get a chance to shoot it, I did get to hold it. What a well used piece of hunting history!
Great ! 👍👍👍
His articles were always informative and his writing honest. Be great to read something that hasn’t been published before.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Also let Berit know I would happy to help with Finn's notes in any way.

I'd be happy if you and Charlie collaborated on this.
Yes, please share!!!
Is there going to be something published? His readership still lives.
I always enjoyed reading his articles.
It would be great to read more of his works and please ask Berit to write more as well, she has a nice insight to hunting as well!
I would love to read anything you may find and thanks for informing us.
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Is there going to be something published? His readership still lives.

True, that
Charlie, I have all my letters from Finn and contain a lot of his thoughts on the shooting & writing industry as well as many of its major players. We need to reconnect anyway, it's been awhile .
Oh, your 375 Ruger has been a camp favorite since I received it.
I too will be watching for this. Finn was my absolute favorite. If he said it, it happened. RJ
Phil
We do need to talk some time. I’d like your input on some things I am developing for the DoD.
I’m glad to see as much interest in Finn’s work. I’ll be there today early afternoon. I’ll keep ya’ll posted.
Charlie
Phil
We do need to talk some time. I’d like your input on some things I am developing for the DoD.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you two have a conversation...

And, I really hope some more of Finn's work sees the light of day!
Finn still has a lot of fans, myself included. He has a "matter of fact" delivery that always came across, at least to me, as the best way !!
Thanks for the heads up, Charlie. Looks like an awful lot of us, including myself, are waiting to see what comes of this. And thanks in advance for the update.
Every now and then, you hear a bit of news that really makes you smile. This is one of those times.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Thanks for the heads up, Charlie. Looks like an awful lot of us, including myself, are waiting to see what comes of this. And thanks in advance for the update.

+1
Very interested here! Finn always seemed to me to be the personification of practicality and reason.
Phil
Give me a call at 936-258-4984. Berit and I would like to talk with you.
Thanks
Charlie
So far I haven’t found any new unpublished articles. But I have found a lot of bullet tests. Several different cartridges, bullet weights, types, brands , etc. Finn had spent a lot of time on this.
Berit and I talked with John last night a good bit. John is going to work a strategy to use all this. Unknown exactly how, but I think he will figure it out.
I caught a few good mentions that Finn made concerning Phil Shoemaker. I’ll post them in a few days.
Charlie
Thank you, Charlie Sisk !

I have an Oxford file of Sir Saint Finn Aagaard's work starting with his NRA pubs in 1983,
and all of his published books and audio tapes that I could find.
I met Berit Aagaard at the 2008 NRA Convention IIRC.
Got her to autograph the book RIFLE BULLETS FOR THE HUNTER -- A DEFINITIVE STUDY.
It was dedicated to Finn, and she wrote APPENDIX A: FINN's ROLE WITH TROPHY BONDED BULLETS
Sweet lady.
My kind of woman.

Sir Saint Finn Aagaard is an honorary member of the "Knights of the .458 Winchester Magnum Brotherhood."
Posthumously awarded with canonization, of course, for one so approving of the .458 Winchester Magnum as he.

Here is the slightly edited picture you put up in the Image Gallery:

[Linked Image]

BTW, Sir Phil is a Knight too, and Sainthood is assured whenever he goes to the Happy Hunting Ground.

May much more come of your trip to visit Berit Aagaard.

Salaams
So far I haven’t found any new unpublished articles. But I have found a lot of bullet tests. Several different cartridges, bullet weights, types, brands , etc. Finn had spent a lot of time on this.
Berit and I talked with John last night a good bit. John is going to work a strategy to use all this. Unknown exactly how, but I think he will figure it out.
I caught a few good mentions that Finn made concerning Phil Shoemaker. I’ll post them in a few days.
Charlie

She was the epitome of class and dignity through Bill's last months and the service itself. A great lady.......
Would love to see anything from him, hw was a great writer
A few years ago I did several articles for Sports Afield on historic hunting rifles, all old M70 .375s used by Wally Johnson from Africa, Pinnell & Talifson from Kodiak and Hal Waugh from Alaska. During that time frame I was looking for other similar rifles that I thought there would be an interest in as well. Finn's .375 was a logical choice. So I contacted Berit: obviously I was a stranger to her, but she was so gracious to me and ended up sending me a huge amount of info re: Finn and that rifle: she made copies of so many things re: the rifle, loads that Finn had put together for it, etc. But alas, Diana Rupp was not interested: she had published Berit's article "The 50th Buffalo" a few years prior and didn't think there was sufficient justification for another piece on the rifle. I obviously did not agree but she was the editor and I just a lowly freelancer so it never saw the light of day. I got to handle and even shoot Morris's Talifson's .375: what a thrill that was, but never had a chance to see Finn's .375. That would have been a thrill as well. So I too would really enjoy seeing any info from what I consider one of the finest shooting writers I've even read.
Love reading anything Finn!!!
Looks like I may be able to work something out with Wolfe Publishing (RIFLE and HANDLOADER) on the notes, but will need to see the notes before getting a handle on how to approach it.
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
A few years ago I did several articles for Sports Afield on historic hunting rifles, all old M70 .375s used by Wally Johnson from Africa, Pinnell & Talifson from Kodiak and Hal Waugh from Alaska. During that time frame I was looking for other similar rifles that I thought there would be an interest in as well. Finn's .375 was a logical choice. So I contacted Berit: obviously I was a stranger to her, but she was so gracious to me and ended up sending me a huge amount of info re: Finn and that rifle: she made copies of so many things re: the rifle, loads that Finn had put together for it, etc. But alas, Diana Rupp was not interested: she had published Berit's article "The 50th Buffalo" a few years prior and didn't think there was sufficient justification for another piece on the rifle. I obviously did not agree but she was the editor and I just a lowly freelancer so it never saw the light of day. I got to handle and even shoot Morris's Talifson's .375: what a thrill that was, but never had a chance to see Finn's .375. That would have been a thrill as well. So I too would really enjoy seeing any info from what I consider one of the finest shooting writers I've even read.

Diana Rupp was dead wrong.
© 24hourcampfire