Home
We often talk about why one brand of dies or press is better than another...then someone disagrees. Then the discussion changes to why Brand A is better than Brand B. And the thread devolves. Which will likely happen to this one, but...

I would be interested to hear about your first set of dies and press. How did you end up with them? I know that most people have a mix of brands now, due to later purchases.

What about your first? Why did you buy them? Were they new or used? Bought at a gun shop, or a gun show, or out of the back of a van somewhere? smile

My first was a Lee Loader. My press was a wooden hammer. smile I bought it because a friend showed me his 243 Lee Loader, so I went to the LGS and got one. I don't remember the price. I do remember getting 100 primers, 100 bullets, and a pound of 3031 though. No cases. I couldn't afford it.
First dies were Lee Loaders, for the 7.62 "Russian" (my "war surplus Mosin-Nagant) and 20-gauge for my bolt-action Marlin.

First press was the cheapest single-stage model Herter's offered. Wore it out within about 3 years, then purchased an RCBS Rockchucker--which I finally gave to a much younger handloader about 15 years ago. It was still working fine....
Lee Loader for the win!
1969 Herters 223 dies and Pacific C press, dies new, press used. I did start loading shotshells 1963 with a 16ga Lee loader and built a press to use with it instead of using a hammer.
Lee Loader for 30-06.

A friendly neighbor strongly advised that I use hollow points for hunting deer.
My one and only press a RCBS JR2.
Lyman Spartan press and die combination kit in 243 in1966 I believe. I got it for Christmas. I don’t remember if it came in the kit but I got a Lyman scale (D-5?) which I still use on occasion. I built my own bench and still use it.
Lee loader in .30-30 that ws purchased from Gander Mountain for less than $5 in approximately 1971.
Around age 20, I owned two rifles. A Ruger 280 and a 700 BDL 30-06. I traded the 700 for a RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit. It had the scale, powder measure and a bunch of other stuff. I still use that kit today, over 30 years later. The only real upgrades were an electronic scale and a chronograph. I sorta miss the 700, since it was the first gun I bought, but in a way, I’ve still got it. Many dozens of rifles have come and gone since then. I think I should have just kept the 280. MOA with Hornady 139 grain bullets and max load if IMR 4831. You never forget your first.😄
Ha ha! Lee Loader 300 Sav circa 1976 for me. I was 10, and my dad taught me how on a cork mat that he would put on the wood kitchen table. That was over 44 years, 35 +/- cartridges, at least 6 presses, countless accessories ago :-). While I haven't used one in 30+ years, I have a collection of over 20 of the Lee Loaders in various cartridges. Reminds me of dad. -Tom T
I bought a Lyman kit with a 'C' type press at a local gunshop owned by a neighbor. We worked out a deal, he wanted some 9mm dies and I needed 270 dies. So he ordered the kit in 9mm and a set of 270 RCBS dies.

That was about 43 years ago when I was 18, said press and other gear is in my parents basement and I still use it for certain cartridges. I have a second set up at my house for most of my reloading with a Lyman O press. The 270 dies are still in use.

Dale
A Lee Loader in 1965 in 32 Special. Still have it and the 1894 Rifle, still use both.
Lyman T-Mag Turret press Kit from Gander Mountain and .270 Win and .38/.357 Lyman dies
Does it still count if my first press was actually a Texan shotshell reloader? I bought it when I was 17 from a friend who owned a gun shop! Paid $50 and loaded many 100’s of shells with it. Kept me in trap loads all through high school and college.

My first cartridge press was an old “C” style press given to me by a family friend and he threw in a set of old RCBS 30-06 dies. I bought a lb. of IMR-4831 from the same store owner I got the shot shell press from and a box of Hornady 180gr bullets! I had a 12ga. Browning BPS and a used Rem 700 BDL ‘06 and thought I was set for life! Didn’t take long for the “bug” to bite me and now it’s a way of life!

Elk Country
First press was a Lyman Spartan and dies were Lyman All-American .38/.357. The press is still going, though I use it very little. The dies are long gone.
Hollywood press that I ordered direct and I’m fairly sure my first dies were Pacific .270 Win.
Lee Loaders
Lyman Spartan
RCBS Rock Chucker
Lyman & RCBS dies.
Lee Loader for .38/357 in 1968, then a Lyman 310 tool with dies for .38/357 and .30-30. Got a Lyman C press when I got out of the Army but a friend sprung it out of alignment trying to resize a batch of .300 Win Mag brass fired in a grossly oversized chamber.

Got an RCBS RS - Reloader Special - press when I graduated college in 1978 and that's the one I still use today.

RCBS JR press and RCBS 30.06 dies. That was in 1979.

Since then, I have also owned a Lee turret press and a Dillon 550. Gave the Lee to a youngster getting started and sold the Dillon when I realized I was no longer interested in reloading handgun ammo. I am primarily interested in rifles, and the JR has loaded thousands of rounds over the years in many calibers. I think I'm up to about 35-40 sets of dies.I occasionally consider adding a T7 or similar high quality turret press, but that old JR seems to keep perking along (slowly) turning out excellent ammo...
I bought my Rockchucker press in a kit with powder measure,lube/pad scale,powder funnel and the choice of dies.

This was back in the 70's and i still have it all.

The press has a lot of wear in the ram but it still makes some good ammo.

Forgot about the dies,they were for the 270 Win,still use them as well.
Herters then RCBS junior.
A rock chucker I think 25/06 or a 5.56, now I have three rock checkers one partner press a lee press and load for 17 calibres now.
I started with a Lee Loader in .22-250. Soon after I went with a set of Lyman dies in .22-250, because I was shooting a Ruger #1 and the neck sized cases were sticking in the chamber. I used my uncle's Lyman Spartan press. A year later I bought a Rockchucker press.
Lee C frame press. I started doing pistol single stage. Lee scale and dippers. IMO this press gave me problems doing '06 size bottleneck rifle, so I spent the money on a RockChucker. RCBS dies.

Still use the RockChucker for all rifle loading. Have a collection of RCBS, Redding, Lee, Forster dies. Lee collet/Redding bump for 308 Win & 223 Rem for the target guns. Tried Redding bushing dies, did not like them.

Invested in a Lee turret for pistol, though I only do 2 stages at a time. Size, bell mouth. Seat primers by hand, drop powder by hand (old Bair rotary pistol measure), back in press seat boolit, crimp w/Lee carbide die.

Had a Redding turret press for rifle back in the day. Didn't like it.

All sorts of stuff I have, lube sizers, powder measures, concentricity gages, TruTool, measurement tools, DNA anneal lamp, scales, home made power rotary case prep device for mouth trim indexed on mid-shoulder, inside/outside chamfer, cup with 3M pad in it to debur mouth, clean primer pocket, and so forth. All sorts of do-dads that have an assigned function. Home made gages to measure bullet seating indexing on bullet ogive to allow accurate control of bullet jump once I measure MAX coal where ogive is kissing lands. Home made gages to use with dial caliper to measure shoulder to case head to optimize and ensure proper headspace of case in chamber. Some of these tools can be bought commercially these days, not so much years ago.

I have a collection of old Handloader Digest, Gun Digest (oldest one 1946 2nd annual addition), Gunsmith Kinks vol 1-4, Cartridges of the World, 1952 Stoeger "The Shooters Bible No. 43, bunch of other gun related manuals and texts. I page through these old books now and then. Lots of interesting tools and projects the old boys created. Wood & blue steel guns. AND back issues of Hand Loader & Rifle magazines for throne duty.

One article about casting pure zinc bullets. Plans & schematic to make a chronograph. Amazing stuff.

So, all this sarted with a Lee C frame press loading for a 32 S&W Long and 38 Special. Then figuring I could load for Dads old Remington Model 30 cloned from a 1917 Eddystone battle rifle. Still have that rifle.

Great topic Steve.
Lee Loader .410, then a RCBS jr, finally about 20 years ago a Rickchucker which is still going strong. Jr still functional but used mostly for depriming.
Also, a Pacific 105 for scatter gun ammo. Works great.
I learned as a kid on my dad's RCBS A2.
Used it at his place until I was married and had a basement, bought a Lyman Spar T off a bud (loaded .44 mag and .243 win off it- left the dies in all the time).
Finally had room LOL

Currently have a Lyman Mag T

My dad had about 60 presses before he died.
Baer, Lyman, RCBS, Herters, MEC, Pacific, Dillon, Redding, Lee, Star, and others.
Some were NIB, others like new, some restored.....and some needing parts.

Measures, scales and trimmers too.

Nobody wants the old stuff, don't blame em.
Hell I have 3 Herters in my garage, C, O and Turret, w the adapters.
Freakin need 3 jon boats to use em as anchors LOL
First dies were RCBS 8x57. I loaded my first ammunition on an RCBS Jr. press. I still have that rifle and dies.from about 1963 or 1964.

After college I was in the USAF stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina. I ordered my own first press and other reloading equipment through the base Rod And Gun Club. That was probably about 1970. I still have and use that same equioment today.. I bought my first handgun dies then too. A set of steel RCBS 357 dies. Carbide dies were very expensive. Most people used steel dies.
Lee Loader in 30-06

First press was a RCBS jr with RCBS 44 mag dies.
30 yrs later and my turret still .44 and .243 dies.
LOL
Same .44 dies too (Lyman All American).
First press was a 20 ga MEC 600 Jr as was the next except that one was a 12 ga. First was bought in 1977, the second in '78. Still have both presses.

First metallic cartridge press was a Lee 1000 kit set up for 38 Spl. I wore the press out fairly quickly when I was on the local police department's shooting team but still have and use the dies.
Another Lee Loader. 32 Special. It got me started down the reloading path. Shortly after I bought my 788 6mm I graduated to an RCBS Junior.

My first shotgun loading was on a Lee Loadall. I still have it and use it on occasion. It turns out great loads for an inexpensive press.
Lee loader in 1974, .308. With it a box of 150 grain Hornady spire points, box of CCI 200s, and a blue can of 4064. In 1978 after helping load railroad ties for a couple days, I used my wages buy a Rockchucker which I still use. Looks like a lot of us started with Lee loaders. I bought one of the Lee Classic loaders last year, for a caliber I have dies for. Nostalgia.
Initially, mid-60's, a couple Lee Loaders. 1968 saw a big box from Herter's arrive containing a honking big heavy cast iron C-press, a couple die sets, gauges, powder measure and scales, and a bunch of brass and bullets - for the princely sum of $70, with shipping. My Dad and I grinned ear to ear, and we were off and running.
Concurrently with the arrival of the Care Package from Herter's I realized I could shoot one helluva lot more if I made my own bullets too.That idea spawned my first mold, and then another, and another. First lead (scrounged wheelweights) was cast and poured into that first mold via a Campbell's soup can with a pour spout crimped into the rim, held with vicegrips, and heated with a propane torch. Bullets were lubed via the pan method (after first discovering empiracally the need for lube in the first place, but that's a story for another day), and sized with a simple push through die in the Herter's press that my Gramps made for me in his lathe. I wish I knew whatever happened to that die - I would pay serious money to have it back.
Gnoahh, you brought back a memory. For me Lee loader, my Dad made me a hammer by cutting a 4" piece of pitchfork handle for the head, then drilled it for a 3/4" dowel handle. I later got a weighted plastic head hammer and the homemade wooden one is long lost. Wouldn't ming having it to hang over the bench....
RCBS 38/357 mag dies... Bonanza press... When i was 18 my older brother gave me an 8" colt python for Christmas... He had a 40+ ft handgun range in his basement... Max loads of Hercules Unique would almost bounce the furniture off the floor upstairs (or so he say's)... He'd yell, Back Them Fuggin Loads Off Before U Ruin That Thing !.. I would shut the lights off so i could see the flames blast out past the cylinder.. Thank god i wore Silencio muff's...40 yrs later we still have and use the python, dies and press...
KYHillChick gave me a Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit and several sets of RCBS dies for Christmas in 2000.
Mec size master for 12ga at age 15. Great loader but it’s long gone. I had no need to load shotgun anymore.
RCBS rock chucker at estimated age of 24. Great loader, still have it. RCBS 45 colt dies.
The first die set would be a Lee Loader in 12 ga. Dad was the actual owner, he upgraded to a MEC, showed me how to use the LL, and I helped make up trap loads. This would have been in the mid-70's. It still lives with me and even has the crimp starter. I thought I'd lost it until my cat at the time found it in the basement. Apparently they make good cat toys.

The first press was a LEE Challenger 2000. That was a Christmas present in 1988. The last time I used it was to swage the crimp out of some LC brass. It was a relaxing thing to do after shoveling out the driveway this morning.
My first die set was 300wby RCBS fl 2 die set. I still have that die set. Bought my press in the mid 90's. Still have and use that Rockchucker press. Still works great after 100,000+ rounds I've loaded on it. I don't have the same 300wby from back in the 90's that started my handloading career, but I still have a good one. Pre 64 model 70. That rifle is old, but I wanted to see how new bullets would work in it. That old die set still works pretty good:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
First press 600 Jr Mec 20 ga in 68. A RCBS JR and rcbs 7x57 dies in 69 followed by 7 mm mag dies in 70. 75 sets of dies since then and mostly using a Ammomaster press now but have 10 others to use and 2 dillons. Cast bullets since 1975. 3 presses in the pole barn, 1 press in my dog kennel bldg, 1 in the kitchen , 2 in the reloading room a 1 on my big desk. Yeah I like to load ammo no I am not married anymore. Guy that don't load his own ammo doesn't have jackshit...mb
My first press was an RCBS Partner that I got back when I was in high school... I've had a few others come and go since, but it is still my main press that I do 99% of my loading on now. It stays bolted to my kitchen table most of the time for concenience.

First set of dies was a Lee 3 die set in 44 Magnum. I haven't had a 44 in years, but till use them occasionally to punch out some ammo for my hunting partner for his Ruger.
Well scratching around in my RUSTED memory it was either 1972 or 1974 ??

I had 'just' started to seriously deer hunt and didn't know much about other brands of dies/presses. I had seen them in
mag ads but that was it.

I bought a new RCBS Jr press, RCBS 243 dies and # 2 shell holder. I used that press until @ 1990 -- and I still have it,
my son uses it.

I acquired a Rem 700 BDL in 8 mm RM so I got the RCBS Rockchucker press for the larger inside dimensions.

Looking back over 49-50 yrs of service I have no regrets.

Jerry
Lee Anniversary set with .223, .243, and .38/.357 dies. Would be WAY ahead if I had just stuck with that combination... laugh
Lee Loader for a .44 mag in about 1977, I think. And you haven't lived until you've had a primer pop and scorch the side of your hand from one too many whacks with a mallet. shocked
IIRC, it was a RCBS Rockchucker and the dies were RCBS .270 Win.
Around 1955 traded a 16ga pump and a heavy barrel 22 rimfire and a few dollars I had to a gun shop in Michigan for a C&H C press 2 sets of dies 30/30 for me 348 for my dad 100 primers, 1 lb of 3031.
Herters no.3
Its was my brothers, I started watching and helping a bit in the 60's. It became mine in the 70's and the only press I've ever used. Not sure how many rounds it has done but a bunch.

A RCBS Jr kit. Received it for my birthday in 1973. Still use the 505 scale often, and use the press for seating ( even though the Jr has a pretty short opening I became used to holding the bullet and case between my thumb and finger and sliding the bullet first into die and then the case into the shellholder).

And I can’t believe the prices Jr presses are selling for on eBay…….
The one I still use, RCBS Rockchucker, I’ve loaded thousands with it in the 47 years I’ve owned it.

It looks like hell, but works like it did when I bought it.

First set of dies was 7 mag, still use them too.
Lyman 310 tong tool with a set of .338 Win Mag dies. A Redding powder scale, a pound of 4320 and a box of 200 gr Speer. Guns powder funnel and 100 primers. This was the fall of 1961. I still have and use the dies and the scale and funnel.
Some neat stories. Do you think the ammunition you made from that old equipment was worth it? Was it better, worse or the same as the store bought stuff?

It must have been fun to start assembling your own cartridges and using them to take game or shoot at matches.

Most importantly perhaps, there are the good memories made with family members or friends. A wonderful sense of pride and accomplishment too.

This was the most important and lasting thing - especially if you did it with someone who is no longer here.
The ammo I loaded was much more accurate than the factory .22-250 ammo available during the early 1970s. Maybe not so much more accurate than current factory ammo. I don't know how I remember it, but my first batch of components were CCI large rifle primers were $.99/100, Hornady 55 grain SX bullets $3.12/100, and a can of Dupont IMR 4064/$5.86. And yes, I shot a lot more than I would have if shooting factory loads. Still to this day I have not killed a deer with factory loads.
The same one I still use............

Lyman single stage C-press bought from the Herter's showroom in Mitchell, SD in the summer of 1976. 2 sets of Lyman dies at the same time............ 308 Win and 30/40 Krag
The ammo I created with those old Herter's dies was none too straight, a condition I discovered later when I got my first concentricity gauge. It shot ok but nothing to write home about. Those first couple years I persisted in using only factory ammo for hunting. Subsequent equipment purchases opened my eyes to the possibilities of making truly first class ammo. The important thing was that early gear taught me the basics, for which I'll always thank old Mr. George L. Herter.

As for memories, I can't smell cherry blend pipe smoke without flashing on my Dad sitting in the shop/reloading bastion cranking out (half crooked) .30-30's. "Fire hazard? Not unless you're an idiot and get ashes in the powder." He could be a hard head when he wanted to.
1979, RCBS Rockchucker. Only single stage press I own still today. Bought on Katy Fwy Carters Country, Houston TX
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Some neat stories. Do you think the ammunition you made from that old equipment was worth it? Was it better, worse or the same as the store bought stuff?

The ammo is definitely worth it for me, given I've shot an assortment of oddball and obsolete cartridges over the years, and still now. Botique ammo for old/obsolescent cartridges is ludicrously expensive. I also like fiddling with bullet/cartridge combos you're unlikely to find commercially.
Lee, challenger and the lee 3306 dies. still have and use both of them!
Lee Loader first, then a Rock Chucker.
C&H 4 station press, powder measure, scale with 38/357, 44 and 45 dies all at the same time. Took almost a year of saving.
Still use the scale and dies today - wish I still had that little press!
1988, RCBS master reloading kit, that was a hell of a time, also a time i needed to stay in shape, a green canvas pack with heavy shoulder straps loaded with three 35lb plates and using a drop tube for every round even when not needed, trickle up charge, stand from bench with pack, pour powder, sit and repeat, to be that young and stout again with the constant high and amazement of shooting and building ones own loads, then filling freezers with those loads left a permanent mark, it's a damn great hobby we enjoy ladies and gentlemen!
Lee loader 6.5X55. Same in 303 Brit. Then a Rock Chucker and a multitude of die sets. First being a set of RCBS for the Swede. Been a good ride. The RC is used for sizing cast now. A Dillon 550b and a Redding T7 make the ammo.
The first press I loaded on was my Dad’s RCBS partner press. Bought in the early 70’s I believe. My first set of dies were RCBS. Then as a teenager I received the Lee Anniversary kit for Christmas. I used the press from it while I attended University. Now the powder cup that sits on my lab grade scale is worth more than that press (I still have it and those dies).

In 1977 I bought 3 Manuals (read them first) and a Balance Beam scale with the Lee Loader (.280). The Rock Chuker came about 6yrs later plus RCBS .257 Roberts then Redding 257 Roberts Ackley Improved dies. Still using the RC! smile
Inherited a Lyman Spartan and three sets of cardboard boxed RCBS dies 270, 30-06 & 243. Still have them but upgraded the press.

Better ,don't think I ever rested on mediocre results. A major factor is even if you had a lot of money you still can't buy a lot of loads you might use everyday. Honest to god mid range loads featuring lyman's 429421 swc for example who sells them or 357's loaded with lyman's 358156 hollow point mold? What of all the custom loads for my black powder rifle cartridges with paper patch bullets? For that matter #5 shot in my 20 and 16 gauges because some marketing turd doesn't think they are necessary? Sometimes I actually buy and use some factory ammo , it has gotten better over the years. I'll give it that but will count on my own made exactly how I want it....mb
Lyman 310 tong tool. Dies were for the .38 Spl., 30-30 and 30-06. The year was 1954.
Paul B.
Hornady 007 kit . Was my starting point, early 80's
My first press was a Pacific Tool and Die 12 gauge kit.I shot more shotgun sports including Trap,duck and goose hunting,pheasant hunting.When I had picked up a couple rifles and handguns I bought an RCBS RockChuker kit in the late 60s.308 Win was my first metallic cartridge.
Steve;
Good morning, I hope you're all keeping warm enough and all in your world are well.

Thanks for the interesting thread, it looks like a few here of my vintage started in a similar way.

The first reloads were done with a Lee Loader for the '06, then quickly after that a .308 and .357 Lee Loader followed.

Maybe a year into my reloading I picked up an RCBS Reloader Special press - the one with the over center knuckle and no compound linkage.

That was replaced by a Reloader Special with compound linkage and then I picked up an older Rock Chucker which I still use.

Thanks again for the thread and Happy New Year all.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Better ,don't think I ever rested on mediocre results. A major factor is even if you had a lot of money you still can't buy a lot of loads you might use everyday. Honest to god mid range loads featuring lyman's 429421 swc for example who sells them or 357's loaded with lyman's 358156 hollow point mold? What of all the custom loads for my black powder rifle cartridges with paper patch bullets? For that matter #5 shot in my 20 and 16 gauges because some marketing turd doesn't think they are necessary? Sometimes I actually buy and use some factory ammo , it has gotten better over the years. I'll give it that but will count on my own made exactly how I want it....mb

Yeah, a low brass #5 would be dynamite rabbit load !
First reloading was with a 12 ga Lee Loader when I was still in college. Got away from it for a long time and then bought a Lee Anniversary kit to start on metallic cartridges. Still have it although the press is only used for depriming these days. First dies were an RCBS set for 30-06. Many other sets (mostly RCBS and Redding) have joined them on the shelf.

Jerry
Around 2007 my Uncle Johnny passed away and left us enough to pay off our mortgage and all our bills. My wife said I should buy something to remember him by so I bought an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit and a set of RCBS 30-06 dies. I still have/use them. I so glad I became a reloader before this latest shortage came along.
Start reloading they said, you'll save a lot of money they said. HAH! laugh crazy
RCBS Dies and RCBS Partner Press. Had if for over 30 years, still using it. Have loaded thousands of rounds with that rig.
Circa 1967 Lyman press, Lyman and RCBS dies, Lyman 55 powder measure, Lyman beam balance scale, Lee powder dippers, etc.

I've owned a few Ideal, Lyman, and Winchester "nut cracker" presses,
Right after I got home from SEA in 73 got a Pacific single stage press and dies to feed my 77V in .25-06 (best woodchuck cartridge ever…lol). Soon RCBS .222 dies followed for my 788. My sons are still using that press along with the Redding powder scale and measure and Forster case trimmer that soon followed. Today I do all my rifle/handgun loading with a Redding turret press, mostly Redding dies and support equipment.
I bought that Browning .348 and down the rabbit hole I went. Dies from Lee (only ones that were in stock) and a Rockchucker II.
My first one was a Pacific C type press in 1962.. I was 15. My first dies were .222, follow by .30-06. Still have the press, and both sets of dies. Press is retired, but the dies are still in use. I bought the press and dies used from a friend who ran a hole in the wall gunshop. One of the best friends and best shots I have ever seen. Sadly passed more than 50 years ago.
My first one I bought was a RCBS Jr. in the Army PX at Ft. Richardson Alaska in 1975. I owned it for a year before I got back home and broke it out. I bought a RCBS 5/10 scale, powder measure and 38 special and 7x57 dies at the same time. I still use the press almost daily.

kwg
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

First press was the cheapest single-stage model Herter's offered. Wore it out within about 3 years, then purchased an RCBS Rockchucker--which I finally gave to a much younger handloader about 15 years ago. It was still working fine....

How did you manage to wear out the Herter's press so quickly?

I bought mine in the mid-60s and still use it. It works fine, and I have a bunch of shell holders. I keep it clean and lubed and never use it to deprime, so it doesn't get all the grit.
Lee Loader and hammer also.
C&H press and a set of Lyman.308 dies
RCBS 30-06 dies to load for my only centerfire rifle, a 1917 Eddystone. RCBS JR press, military brass and a 1lb can of Dupont IMR-4895. I still have the powder can, some 45 years later. If I recall correctly the price on the can is $4.35. Graduated to a Rockchucker at some point and still use it occasionally. In all my years of reloading for dozens of different chamberings, nothing has surpassed the feeling of accomplishment I experienced from loading those first 40 30-06 cartridges.
First dies were Lyman in .243. First press was the RCBS Partner Press kit. However, I found it hard to full length size .243 cases. It just didn't seem to have the leverage to slide the case up into the die. I bought a Lyman Orange Crusher (when they were orange in colour) and that's been my main press for 25 years. I use the RCBS Partner Press for loading the .222.
I started loading for my father when i was around 10 years old. He handed me a Lyman 310 tool. After using that tool till my teens, I could crush a Cadillac with my bare hands, LOL
I was lucky and my uncle helped my mom.pick out a Lyman orange crusher kit from Midsouth shooters supply and .45 colt dies from rcbs for my 15th birthday. Went to a garage sale and picked up an Ohaus scale to replace the plastic one that came with the kit. I still stick to RCBS for most of my dies, just cause. Still run the same press and have a Dillon 550 for my bulk stuff. Load for 58 cartridges and 4 gauges. My first shotgun press was a Lee load all for 12 gauge. I have them in 16 and 20 gauge now. Added a 28 gauge mec Jr and life changed wink so I have mecs in 16 and 12 too.
My one and only press , a Rockchucker in 1986 . It was $95 bucks. They were out of the kits so I went and got a Hornady scale and powder measure. My only caliber was .270 Win. Still have it all but dont use it much. Now days I shoot my bow and my muzzleloader . I make my own patches and cast my own roundballs.
Rockchucker
RCBS dies
22-250
Old Lyman press
RCBS 30-06 dies.

I was 11 and tall and skinny and that 06 kicked the HECK out of me!
I shot old pre interlock 150’s and 4064 I bought from the hardware store.

Ben
First was a Lee loader for 30.06 in 1975. Used that setup for several years. Now I use a Rockchucker
Prices, 1974. Lee Loader, $9.95. 1 lb 4064, I think about $6. 100 CCI 200s, $0.69. 100 Hornady 150 grain .308 spire points, $4.99. 4 years later in 1978, Rockchucker II press with one set of dies, on sale for $54.99. All purchased at a Buttreys grocery sporting goods counter in Glendive MT.
My first dies was RCBS 30-30. FIL reloaded, so I bought dies for my rifle and he worked me up a load using his equipment. Bought my only press, a Herters Super Model 0, at a garage sale in the early 90's.
1980. Rockchucker kit, press, 1010 scales, lube pad, 357 dies, powder trickler.

Loaded for my first centrefire which was a S&W Mod 28. When I moved interstate sold it to a mate except the scales, he still has the press etc.
NAGW, but my first was a RockChucker by RCBS, and dies were 243 and 270 Winchester, also by RCBS. I used it for years, and it remained in great shape until I finally gave it to a friend when I got my current press, a Redding T7. I still have and use the original dies and have added many, many more in both RCBS, Lyman, and Redding. My favorites are Redding and RCBS.
Hornady press and a set of RCBS 444 dies
I started with a Lee Challenger set up as we were extremely fiscally challenged at the time. Replaced the scale right off the hop with a Hornady/Pacific beamer that I still use and trust. Everything else has been replaced or upgraded over the years. Current press is a Lyman Orange Crusher.

1st two sets of dies were RCBS 22-250 and 7mm Mag. Moved from RCBS to Lee Collets and Forster Seaters.
Lee Loader then went to the present Rock Chucker about 1970.
I had loaded some with older Lyman 310 tools and a sizer that squeezed the brass into a tube using a large vice, but the first actual press I owned was an RCBS Rock Chucker and the first dies were .44 magnum. I still use that die set though I've replaced the FL die with a carbide die. I've loaded easily 50K rounds with that set of dies.
Thanks for the responses!

For those who did not say, were you mentored, or did you stumble through the learning curve on your own? In my case, I had outside influences help me learn. My father was not a reloader. He was good at many things, but wasn't mechanically inclined.
'70 RCBS 308 Winchester,243 Winchester dies and a RCBS JR press
12 ga. with a Ponsness/Warren press.
Lee Loader in 12 ga about 1969
Lee Loader in 25/06 1974
RCBS full length 25/06 dies and Rock Chucker 1975
I started with 310 tools and dies . First press was a Tru line of which I now own 5 . My modern press is a Lyman All American that allowed me to use standard size dies . Never felt a need to use anything newer . My grandfather talked me through the learning process starting when I was about 8 years old . He taught me to mold and size my own bullets ,process my cases , set my Ideal #5 powder measure and finish a properly loaded cartridge . My equipment at that time consisted of a 310 set in .357 Magnum and a Lee loader in 8mm , Ideal / Lyman molds , Ideal #1 sizer with dies and nose punches to match my molds, stamp pad and STP to lube cases , Ideal #5 powder measure and a SAECO lead pot. My powders were IMR 3031 and Red Dot . Later added Unique , Bullseye and 2400 and a set of .44 special and .45 colt dies and a #55 measure . Been adding every since . Pap ( grandfather ) was blind by the time he started teaching me but he was still a good and thorough teacher .
Lee C style press, bought the kit, only use the hand-primer these days. Bought it around 2003, so about 18 years under my belt. Wow lot of you guys got an early start, wish I would have started much sooner.

2nd, Lee 3 hole turret.

Now RCBS Summit, still have them all.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
12 ga. with a Ponsness/Warren press.

NVhntr jogged my memory.....

I actually started reloading 12 and 20 gauge shells a few years before I started reloading rifle cartridges. Started reloading shotgun shells in 1978. Bought the 30-30 dies in about '85 and my press in about '94.

A friend started my reloading for shotguns, my FIL started me reloading for rifles. I used his press and other equipment until I bought my press.
Lee Loader in 270 and 22-250. Thousands of rounds. First press was a rcbs and still is. Edk

About 1971 (ish), a Lyman All American Turret Press with Lyman dies. I think that my first die set were in 38/357! memtb
RCBS 30.06 dies and a rock chucker press which I am still using today ( 30 plus years and counting). I don't think you can wear one out.

For those who did not say, were you mentored, or did you stumble through the learning curve on your own? In my case, I had outside influences help me learn. My father was not a reloader. He was good at many things, but wasn't mechanically inclined.

Learned on my own referencing and reading load manuals. Reading magazines was useful. Eventually years later bought a Pro Crono that caused me to realize that book loads/velocity listed were not necessarily what could be achieved in a rifle with a generous chamber and bore. I also started measuring for concentricity (bullet alignment). It has been a science project since then, learning from testing.
First die was Lee Target hand die set for 270, to feed my new Ruger #1, sometime in the 1970's, I think.

First Press was RCBS in the 70's, feeding Winchester Highwalls in 219 DW and 22-30-30.

Bruce
Lee Loader for 30-30. After about 3 months, I said F' this and bought an RCBS Rock Chukar. 1977or'78. Still use the RCBS, still have the Lee Loader in the shop.
First press I owned was a RCBS Rockchucker, ironically I bought it when I worked for Mike Dillon on the 550 line when I was a kid.
I did my first reloading with a Lyman 310 tool for 30-30 and 30-06 for my Father under his tutelage.
In 1970 I moved up to a RCBS Rock Chucker and a 243. Still have the press and the set of dies
but no longer have a 243
First press was a Pacific Power C press and Pacific .30/06 dies from my folks at HS graduation.
Bought RCBS dies as needed, that is what the local stores carried.

It has been my only press for almost 50 years.
Redding #7 c frame press, Pacific 303 British dies, Herters balance beam scale. About 1970 from the Aledo Ill. gun show

For those who did not say, were you mentored, or did you stumble through the learning curve on your own?

I was mentored by a distant cousin who was actually older than my Dad. Used his equipment but my 270 dies for about 3 years before I bought my own gear. Which means my original post about swapping dies with the gunshop owner isn't quite correct, maybe he ordered the kit in whatever caliber he wanted and he just kept the dies. I don't remember for sure.

Dale
RCBS Rock Chucker kit with 270 WIN die set, bought new in 1978 from B&B pawn on Yadkin Rd in Fayetteville NC (near the 82nd ABN DIV gate). Bought a Speer #9 and a Lyman #45. Bought a Redding #3 powder measure and a RCBS 5-10 scale from Cumberland Knife & Gun on Bragg Blvd. about the same time I bought the press. I'm a self-taught handloader with those two books opened as I worked my way through the process (I did find books written by John Wooters and by Bob Hagel that helped with my education as well. I still have and use the press, dies, manual, and powder measure. I also kept one square carton of the original powder I loaded (H380) and one pack of the CCI 250 primers I bought to get started, none of the bullets are left though.
1981 Simplex O frame press and Simplex dies in 308Win. Still have em. The primer arm return spring broke a long time ago - never fixed it.
There used to be a company in Canada that imported Simplex equipment. I haven't heard that name in years. Are they still in business?
There used to be a company in Canada that imported Simplex equipment. I haven't heard that name in years. Are they still in business?

Yes. It did go through some rough spots but is still going

https://simplexreloading.com.au/about/
In 1960 or so, my first press, at age 15, was C-H, C frame, and a set of C-H dies, for .303 British, to start loading for a Lee Enfield No1 Mk 3, that I got for Christmas. These were purchased at a local gun store in Nanaimo BC. I still have that press, along with a couple of others, and use it occasionally. It seemed to be pretty good quality equipment at that time, and still seems pretty good now.
At the same time, I purchased a Lyman reloading manual, a Redding scale, still in use, along with other powder measures, some CIL 150 gr PSP .303 bullets, 3031 powder, and some primers.
As there was no one else that I knew that was reloading, I was self taught, along with some help from the good guys in the local gun store.

Lee Loader .38 Spec. When I got an RCBS Jr press and some RCBS dies I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Lee Loader .38 Spec. When I got an RCBS Jr press and some RCBS dies I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven.

My second Lee loader was .30 carbine that FL resized. It was a real pain hammering those cases in. Took two pieces of hardwood and used the shop vise to squeeze the case into the die. Bit slow but worked fine. But life improved with a Rockchucker.
RCBS rockchucker 1999.

308 or 44 mag were then first RCBS dies.

Back then it was a clean reloading bench.

The same "Uncle", that helped my mom pick out the set came down and helped me set up the dies the first time. Hes not really a relative but he's my uncle just the same. Took me under his wing and helped me out a lot. He lived up the hill from us and after my dad left took it upon himself to look after me. After the first time I just made sure to take my time and read the directions. If I ever got stuck he was a phone call away. I now do the same thing and have mentored dozens in their reloading set ups.
mauserand9mm,

I'm glad they are still afloat. When I read at the link you provided about cheaper import equipment appearing in Oz, where was it coming from?

Originally Posted by Bushwacker
...The same "Uncle", that helped my mom pick out the set came down and helped me set up the dies the first time. Hes not really a relative but he's my uncle just the same. Took me under his wing and helped me out a lot. He lived up the hill from us and after my dad left took it upon himself to look after me. After the first time I just made sure to take my time and read the directions. If I ever got stuck he was a phone call away. I now do the same thing and have mentored dozens in their reloading set ups.

That's great. I had a close friend who helped me for many years.

It's nice to have a personal connection. It seems some people are dependent on youtube or webboards. While both are nice, the personal touch is best. Being able to ask questions and get immediate feedback is a plus. The hands on approach is number one. As are stories told around the reloading press or at the club. smile
Old Lyman single stage press with Lyman dies for the .44 and .30 Carbine. May 1970

Nobody took me shooting and absolutely no interest in what I was doing. Learned it all from books and magazines. Didn’t shoot a real rifle until I bought my own when 18.

Been a long learning curve since 1979, and still learning!
mauserand9mm,

I'm glad they are still afloat. When I read at the link you provided about cheaper import equipment appearing in Oz, where was it coming from?

Believe it or not but I think it was the American imports - our dollar was strong against the USD during the 1970s and early 80s.

I didn't hear much about them from the late 90s onwards and only recently also discovered myself that they were still going.

I think their "hey day" was the 60s and 70s.
Started with my FIL's Pacific press that he bought in the 50's.Bought my own Rockchucker early 70's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Believe it or not but I think it was the American imports - our dollar was strong against the USD during the 1970s and early 80s.

I didn't hear much about them from the late 90s onwards and only recently also discovered myself that they were still going.

I think their "hey day" was the 60s and 70s.

That doesn’t surprise me. There was a time when we had more European stuff and less US goods. We also had more Cdn made products as well. Our dollar was at par, and for a while it was worth a few cents more than the USD. smile

I’m glad Simplex has hung on.
Lee Challenger press and a set of Lee 30-06 dies. The press is long gone, but the dies are still in use. Self-taught.
This has been an enjoyable read for sure. Another Lee Loader here… late 70’s bought my first in 308 from Hills in north Raleigh, N.C. Guy in there by name of Bobby got me started with scales and all to get started. Shot my first big buck with a handload and can count on one hand all the factory loads have ever bought. Have Lee Loaders in 308, 243, 30-30, 22 Hornet and others…. used one few days ago. It is amazing to watch a kid just getting started in reloading and see him go thru all the stages and years later he still at it and will always remember his first reloads and who helped him. I have hundreds of 308 brass cases up in barn that have been reloaded with that Lee Loader and cans of 4064 in the safe….oh how time has flown by.
Originally Posted by Blueboy
This has been an enjoyable read for sure. Another Lee Loader here… late 70’s bought my first in 308 from Hills in north Raleigh, N.C. Guy in there by name of Bobby got me started with scales and all to get started. Shot my first big buck with a handload and can count on one hand all the factory loads have ever bought. Have Lee Loaders in 308, 243, 30-30, 22 Hornet and others…. used one few days ago. It is amazing to watch a kid just getting started in reloading and see him go thru all the stages and years later he still at it and will always remember his first reloads and who helped him. I have hundreds of 308 brass cases up in barn that have been reloaded with that Lee Loader and cans of 4064 in the safe….oh how time has flown by.

Blueboy, you said a mouthful. Feel like I can use a clock as a fan nowadays.
My first was called Echo. Made up from E. C. Herkner Co. Prior to that 3 of us had one of a brand I can't remember the name of. As soon as we got a little more affluent we split up and this is the one I bought. At the time I was loading either 2 or 3 calibers.

The problem with this loader was that the shell holders screwed onto the ram instead of snapping into place. I found extra shell holders were no longer being manufactured. I think I replaced it with an RCBS. I gradually up graded with higher end presses of the same make. I don't know how many here still remember the E.C. Herkner Co.

Jim
Lyman O-Mag press and RCBS 280 Remington die set.
Pacific 007 press with RCBS dies
My first "die" set was a Lee Loader in 45-70 that I bought in the late 70s. It made very accurate ammo for a Navy Arms Rolling Block. My first real press and die set was a Lee Challenger Anniversary kit with their 30-06 dies. I was pretty clueless about lube for bottle necked brass and managed to stick a case really good.

Lee handpress and Lee .357 carbide dies, a set of the yellow plastic scoops and the cardboard sliding chart that converted weight to volume for a bunch of different powders. Loaded thousands of revolver rounds on that thing and only got a bench mounted press when I decided to try loading bottlenecked rifle cartridges. That was too big a chore on the handpress.

In my first response to this, I listed the Lyman All American and Lyman 3/357 dies as my first.....I neglected to mention that at 15 I bought a Lee Loader in .308 Win. It was 4 or 5 years later before I got an actual press! memtb
Lee Turret and Hornady Custom grade dies at the age of 13. Still using the same press over 20 years later.
Don't recall the name on the press, but it was sold by Minnesota Shooters' Supply. Looked similar to the Herter. Massive. I recently found the invoice in my reloading papers dated when I started reloading. I paid $26 for the press, a beam scale and a set of 30-06 dies in 1956. Many years later I was talking to a guy at Brownell's who collected old presses. He wanted mine and I sold it to him for about what I had paid for it some 40 years earlier. He collected old presses. After that first one I bought most of them but mainly used a Lyman Orange Crusher, an RCBS Rockhucker and my go to press which is a Forster Coax. Had a Lee to try loading at the range and may still have it. That didn't work out too well.
Doubt there's 4 pages of gun writers here so [bleep] it I'll chime in... Mine a Lee Anniversary single stage press.. Blows my mind how easy it is to develop less than MOA loads. Had it 8-9 years now. Most WAY overthink reloading. It's pretty damn simple. Never an issue with RCBS dies and my Ohaus scale. Anywho enjoy the crap outta which ever way you go!
RCBS Jr press, RCBS 30-06 and 7mm Wby dies, Belding & Mull powder measure, Pacific standard scale and powder funnel, and I trimmed with a Pacific deburring-chamfering tool, and measured with one of those old "horseshoe" Maximum Case Length Gauges".

That was 61 years ago, and I still use everything but the Pacific scale. I've added a good powder measure, case trimmer, hand primer, etc.
RCBS Rockchucker Kit and an RCBS .280 and 22-250 die. Still have and use all of it, of course I only started 20 years ago. Previous to that, I used my dad's stuff. I didn't have a pot to p1ss in when I bought my first gear, but I'm sure glad I scraped together enough money to make it happen. Now I load for just under 3 dozen cartridges. Great thread!
Does anyone remember when Lee advertised their Challenger press as the 2001? Guaranteed until 2001.
Started reloading back in the late 80's and bought a RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit and a set of .357 / .38 Special dies.......still have and use both.
How many of you guys can remember when a 1" group at 100yds was "varmint accuracy"? ha I can and still feel that way. Sure, I love a 1/2" grouper, but its just to make me feel good about my handloads/shooting. some platforms just ain't made for tiny group shooting, of course. But bolt guns "should" be able to get to 1" fairly easy.
like so many others, lee loader 30-06. the load was 47 4320 165. worked like a champ. first 'real press was a rockchucker, 1972. still in regular use today.
Like some others here, my first press, bought in 1966, was a Lyman Spartan with Lyman .243 dies, both of which I still use. I bought a lightly used Rockchucker many years ago from a friend who decided reloading wasn't for him. I use the RC for heavy-duty work and still use the Spartan for loading pistol ammo and seating bullets in bottleneck cases where I feel that less leverage is an advantage.
Lyman press. 38/357 Lyman dies.

Ron
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
How many of you guys can remember when a 1" group at 100yds was "varmint accuracy"? ha I can and still feel that way. Sure, I love a 1/2" grouper, but its just to make me feel good about my handloads/shooting. some platforms just ain't made for tiny group shooting, of course. But bolt guns "should" be able to get to 1" fairly easy.

Yes, I think that Kleinguethner was the first company, or one of the first, to offer a 1 inch @ 100 yd guarantee.

Back then, I think handloaders were able to accomplish that with most varmint rifles.
RCBS Jr. Came with a RCBS Ohaus scale, some RCBS 308 dies and Lyman 357/38spl carbide dies, lee hand primer and three vintage reloading books from Speer and Hornady. Loads good ammo still...... with more than a few updates in the die and "other necessities" departments. Still grateful to the friend that sold me the box of stuff when he was getting out. Its been very nice to have ammo this whole time the last two big shortages.
First loading I did was with my dad's Herter's press and IIRC Herter's 30-06 dies. First press of my own was RCBS Rockchucker kit given to me by my brother who was a design engineer at RCBS at the time.
First press I bought was a RCBS 4x4 when I used to shoot competition and ended up with 2, each set up for different cartridges that I was competing with at the time. Gave one of the 4x4's to my other brother when he started getting serious about reloading, still have the rest and mostly RCBS dies.
My first set of dies was a Lee Loader in 7mm Rem Mag. My first press was an RCBS that I got from my brother and .308 dies since I'd just started shooting High Power Service Rifle.
Lyman spar T with 30-06 dies and scale. Purchased used out of the newspaper when I was13 or 14 in about 1978. Dad was long dead so I taught myself by reading everything I could find on hand loading. Still do that!
My first press was an RCBS Rockchucker purchased as part of a kit in 1995. I bought that one after my brother purloined our father’s Rockchucker when he left for school. In truth, my father never reloaded and it was my brother who set up the kit in the basement after my father died. We both used the gear, however, until my brother took it with him.

No one taught me to reload; I read the Hornady manual and followed the steps in there. At first I just loaded for my 30-06 using RCBS dies I bought with the kit. I’ve bought several die sets since then, almost all RCBS, but really only reload for a few cartridges, all rifle at present. I have loaded some pistol in the past and might get back into that someday. I still have all that gear, but have added other bits over the years. I bought a Lyman 8 station turret press last summer and I really like it a lot. It is faster than my old single stage RCBS and produces ammo that is just as accurate. I also bought a Chargemaster Lite electronic powder dispenser and like it too. I rarely use anything else anymore.

In terms of manuals, I’ve used the Hornady manuals extensively because I use a lot of Hornady bullets. I also have used Nosler, Lyman, Barnes, Speer and Sierra manuals and still read them all for both knowledge and fun.

I’m not sure why I got into reloading, probably to save money. It probably does that, but it takes a while to amortize the cost of the gear. And I’m not really sure I’m saving anything when I keep buying gear and gadgets! Now it is an interesting hobby in which I can find a little solitude. And it is fun to see if I can make slightly better round for whatever I’m contemplating hunting. Mostly I think I still do it so I can shoot more.
First press used was a C-H owned by a friend, later started using Lee
loading kits. Still have them - first press I owned was RCBS Rockchucker.
I bought in 1972 at local gun store for $79 including set of '06 dies. Still
using it about every week.
Old Cuss
Lee Loader for my 16 guage in 1972, followed by an RCBS Jr press and RCBS .44 magnum steel (not carbide) dies in 1975.
Steve Redgewell: My family was poor when I was a child and yet I fell in love with shooting Rifles.
I taught myself to "re-load" Rifle cartridges starting when I was 12 years old (1959)!
My mentor was a fellow at the local sport shop in Renton, Washington (Stan Hickoks then he moved to Seattle Sporting Goods).
He gave me a set of "hand dies" (Lee IIRC) in caliber 30/06 which was the only centerfire Rifle in my family at the time.
I do remember my first pound of surplus powder cost me 99 cents!
Anyway handloading was even cheaper back then than the very affordable prices (compared to today!) of factory ammo.
Started out with and stayed with Nosler Partitions in that family 30/06.
"Handloading" has been a very rewarding, relaxing and at times necessary "hobby" for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Still have it. Old school Lee Loader for my 243. Bought the dies at the Gibson store in Sidney MT, must have been around 1977.

I had a Winchester 670A in 243, with a Tasco 4X scope. My first rifle.

First press used was a C-H owned by a friend, later started using Lee
loading kits. Still have them - first press I owned was RCBS Rockchucker.
I bought in 1972 at local gun store for $79 including set of '06 dies. Still
using it about every week.
Old Cuss
My first press was given to me by my mentor in handloading. It was something from Herters that represented the total daily output of a foundry somewhere. My first dies were from RCBS.
RCBS partner press and mixed Lee and RCBS dies. I got into reloading by buying a batch of equipment and components off of someone getting out of it. Still have the press but rarely use it for anything except my universal decapper.
I bought this press when I came back from overseas. It still works. These days, I just use it to deprime cases.

This is an old ad for the Lee 2001 Challenger that was guaranteed until the year 2001.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Mine was a Dillon press for 45 acp, but I sold it off years ago.
MontanaMarine, we had a Gibson's in Glendive too, but my Lee Loader came from Buttrey's grocery store. They had a great sporting goods section.
Originally Posted by 300_savage
MontanaMarine, we had a Gibson's in Glendive too, but my Lee Loader came from Buttrey's grocery store. They had a great sporting goods section.

Good stuff. I left Sidney in 1979 right after high school when I joined the Marines. Visited back in Sidney in 1983, but haven't been back since.

Passed through Glendive a few times along the way when taking leave from Camp Lejeune or Quantico, and heading to Montana.

Nowadays, live near Helena, and don't get too far east other than Glasgow area for the Icebreaker now and then, or spending some time on our property near Cat Creek.
My first press was a Cougar and Hunter, not to be confused C-H. Cougar and hunter was a Weatherby dealer in Flushing, MI that had their own line of reloading equipment. The store sold motorcycles by all the Japanese brands along with guns and sporting goods. Even had a cool under ground range and a test track out back for motorcycles. About heaven for a young country boy.
Unfortunately they went out of business when the owner passed away.
Sadly I do not know what happened to that press. I would sure like to find another. My grandfather's tool and die shop actually did machine work for them and applied and baked on the crinkle paint to the presses.
Bair press, powder measure and scale. Probably the dies also. I still use the powder trickler. I got them in 1970.
Lee Loader in .30-30 and .45 Colt at age 12. First powders were IMR4895 and HP38, with Sierra .308 125 FNHP's and Lee .452 250 SWC's. This was in 1982.

Then Lee Turret Press and RCBS dies in .22-250 at age 14, followed closely by RCBS 30-30 and Lee .45 Colt dies. .22-250 got the same IMR4895, and Sierra .224 55 BTHP's. This was 1984.

In all cases, that's what the LGS had on hand.
A used RCBS single stage from about 1970 that I picked up at a local gun range. It is now used for all my rifle bullet seating with Forster dies as it is dead nuts straight with no slop to this day.
First rifle die set was for .30-30 from Redding.
First revolver pistol die set was .38 / .357 mag from RCBS.
First auto pistol die set was for .45 acp from Lee.

Still have all of the firearms they were bought for and still have all the equipment.
Rockchucker bought in '72 with '71 stamped on the casting. 22-250 dies I think are still on the shelf. The second set was 300 magnum and they are still on the shelf. I have more than a few sets of dies in the old green RCBS plastic case. I got to where I don't get rid of the dies with a gun. Be Well, RZ.
First ever loading tool was a Lee whack-a-mole for my .30-30, seemed to load mildish loads but they did kill.

First press was a Lee Challenger. I broke the linkage on it within the warranty period, called Lee and they sent a new linkage with a nasty-gram showing in detail how it was to be installed....to avoid breaking the linkage.....

Meanwhile I replaced the Lee with a RockChucker. I still use it 30+ years later. It still loads straight ammo, according to the concentricity gauge. I gave the Challenger to someone I disliked.

First progressive was an RCBS Piggyback II, loaded about 1000 rounds of .45 ACP with it, tired of its' fussiness real quick and put it on the shelf, it's still there 23 years or so years later, hasn't been used since.

Present progressive is a Dillon 550C, use the hell out of it for 5.56, 45 ACP, and .30-06 for my M1 and 03A3. Separate toolheads and standardized loads expedite cartridge changeovers.

I don't know where the Whack-a-mole is, probably got thrown away. Clutter irritates me and sometimes things go in the garbage can.
RCBS Jr. & RCBS 22-250 dies. 1974

My 505 scale is tan & marked Ohaus, just before they were green & labeled RCBS. Still using it as a primary.
Lee Loader in 30-30 for a pre-64 and 308 for a Savage 99. That was in 1973.

A year later a RCBS Rockchucker loading 270's and a 6mm Rem for a pair of 700 BDLs.

Ohaus 10-10 of which I still have and use.
My first one was a single stage from Herters, that I picked up in the early 60"s, dies were 30:06 from RCBS. I still have both. Except that I now have three of the press's and several more dies, most RCBS
RCBS Reloader set with 243 dies , since then its Redding dies and my latest set of custom dies is Whidden which are expensive but worth it .
Rockchucker, with .264WM and .338WM dies,

I was in love with the western skyline and mountains!
First does bought with my own money, Lee Loaded 30-30. My dad watched to make sure I was safe and said stay under the max load is hismanual, I did and I also shot a ton of rounds, lot of fun was had!! First press used was dad's Lymao True Line Jr. I saved up and bought a set 7-08 does to go with the ten 788 I got for my 16th birthday.
Like many others', mine was a Lee Loader. A classic.

I bought it altogether with 1lb of IMR4198, a brick of CCI400 primers, and a couple hundred 50gr Sierras.

All for my 222 Rem. A Mohawk 600 carbine with a full length stock.

Good ole days.
I started reloading to feed a custom wildcat with no factory ammo options. aka 585 Nyati dies from CH-4D and a RCBS Rockchucker press.
RCBS Rock Chucker and Redding dies either in 25-06 or 7mm RM. Wouldn’t change a thing.
First press was a MEC for 12 gauge shot shells around 1975. First metallic press was an rcbs rockchucker in 1978. First set of dies were rcbs 220 swift. Still have both and still use the press.
XL 650, 223 Rem. Up until then, my Dad's Rockchucker and HIS dies.
I was given a RCBS Rock Chucker with a set of RCBS 7mm-08 dies and .22-250 Lee RGB dies that got me started a little over a year ago.
My first reloading press was a RCBS Jr, still have it, still use it. My first reloading dies was 22/250 for a Ruger #1........I still have the rifle too.
I bought a rock chucker with Hornady dies. Along with this purchase was a stainless Ruger m77mk2 chambered in a 280 rem. This was the fall of 1995, I believe.This was my first rifle that I purchased with my own money and I’m not sure how I managed to save enough money considering how much fun I had back then.

Anyway, The rifle is gone but still have the dies and press.
RCBS Jr, and a set of RCBS dies in 270 Winchester bought in 1979 and both were used as recently as yesterday…..
Same Rock Chucker I use right now....

and the same RCBS die in 30/06 I still use....

but a lots been added in the way of dies, and a used Rock Chucker bought for $50 at a local gunstore 20 years ago or so...
Defunct Aussie brand called Simplex Turret press.
Die threads were out of square and it bent the necks when neck sizing only, as it wasn't strong enough for full length sizing.
Taught me a lot though...........
My first press was a hammer and a short piece of a two by four. My first set of dies was a Lee Loader in .444 Marlin caliber.
RCBS Rockchucker press and Redding titanium carbide dies in 38/357. Still using both 30 some years later.
RCBS, 30-06, 300wm, 250, 223. Late 80’s.
Bought a Rock Chucker press kit.
And an RCBS Master Reloading Kit.
Dies, lube/pad, deburr tool, scale, Uniflow, funnel, manual.

1987. I believe it was around $210 total.
Still have everything in the reloading kit, and the box.

Remember those good sturdy boxes that you could store stuff in?
My first was a lee loader. For shot guns went to a mec, neighbor had one. Rcbs rock chucker now.
My first metallic cartridge reloading press was a "C" press that I bought from Herter's in 1967 or 68, along with their .30-06 dies. I later replaced that press with RCBS Rockchucker, and I still have those dies.

My first shotshell reloader was a single stage Honey Bair in 12 ga that I bought in 1971. It still use it for hunting loads and is on my reloading bench next to my 4 Pacific/Hornady 366 progressive presses that I use for my 12, 20, 28 ga and .410 target loads.
My first press was a Lee 1000 progressive with Lee 38 special dies. I spent a frustrating weekend getting it all set up, but it finally worked just fine.

To anyone starting out, I do NOT recommend starting with a progressive press. Get a single stage and learn how to reload first.
A set of Lee dies for my 250-3000, and a hammer. Pound them in, pound them out.
First rifle press was a Herters, in fact used a lot of Herters stuff. Learned a bunch tho, finally went to RCBS.
Mec Jr. for shot gun.
A Lee Loader for my Remington Model 788 in .243 Win. Loaded the hell out of Hornady 100gr SPTs.
© 24hourcampfire