Home
In the market for a new rest for bench work. The rests I have now are not satisfactory for me at this point. Recently bought the Lyman “bag Jack” rest with the scissor mechanism to raise and lower…..about as unstable as it gets.

Thinking maybe a Sinclair benchrest style lightweight rest or something similar.

Any thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance!
I've been using a cast aluminum Bald Eagle rest and a sand filled bunny bag for about twenty years. The combination is not light, but is very stable.
Best deal around

https://www.grizzly.com/products/bald-eagle-triangle-plain-rest-aluminum/be1128

Or 2nd

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015040838?pid=348661
I've been using a Sinclair Lightweight bench rest for a number of years. It works fine for my purposes, although a heaver version would be a bit more stable if you want the best possible accuracy.
I use my lead sled with no weight to get close, double check off rest and bags.
You might have missed, Powdr started a thread a few weeks back, "Rifle rest for accuracy" here in the Gunwriters section.

When I was broke I made mine in the fab shop and added the Protector top, I enjoyed a Sinclair cast steel and a Grizzly cast steel but I removed the windage top..

Midway had the Caldwell Benchrest for $109 before Christmas which is fine for working up loads for my current needs.

A flat bottom rear bag that doesn't roll and wallow and Protector top bags have been a constant for me.
I've been loving life since I acquired a Sinclair years ago.
Lots of sand bags
I was going to start a thread, but this may do, without hi-jacking (Maybe).
If once a load is found using a certain rest - will that "sweet" load hold upon changing rests? I realize POI may differ. But will the load differ much?
Hunting loads developed using sand or bipod, vs backpack or sticks in the field.

Thanks
Sinclair front rest and bunny ear rear bag
What are you using to fill your bags? I’ve been using regular sand and it seems to absorb water and get way too heavy. Anything cheap and may be available locally?
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been loving life since I acquired a Sinclair years ago.

sinclair and Hart rests hard to beat
i use the earth. it's fairly stable
Boy am I a cheap ass....

A bipod and a sand bag seems to work just fine for me....
I have a Hart left to me by my brother. Heavy bugger, but solid. Just replaced the cheap rear bags I was trying to use with good, pre-filled Protektors. Makes a huge difference. Those Beany Babie lightweights don’t cut it. Tried a Lyman knock-off of a Bull Bag, and it’s unevenly filled, so the rifle won’t sit squarely.

I see people strugggling at the range all the time with cheap rests, no spotters, flimsy targets, and no stapler. They travel for an hour or more to get there, and then don’t have what they need to enjoy themselves.
This, and a rear bunny ear bag. You've got to really try to screw it up.

https://www.championtarget.com/all-products-2/gorilla-range-bag/CH-40467.html
Hart pedestal rest with leather Protektor 1 1/2" front bag; leather Protektor bunny bag for back rest.

That's is a buy right there....they look a little different than the Bald Eagle rest I had.

Still a good deal.
Something damn handy & helpful on sporter rifles when using a bench rest type rest is a fore end adapter. Take the fore end to a flat, slick 3" wide surface that rides the front bag well. They mount using the front sling swivel threads.

Sinclair used to sell a couple versions, or they can be easily made.
Sinclair heavy varmint rest ~ 300.00 - 400.00 , now can’t go cheap so Edgewood front and rear bags ~300.00. Rear speed screw ~ 70 - 80.00. Forearm adapter 40.00

Or go whole hog and junk the varmint rest and get the competition rest @ 659.00.

So if going option 1, 800.00 and you are guaranteed to reduce the groups out of any rifle by 50 - 60%
Option 2, ~1100.00 you are guaranteed group reduction out of any rifle by 70 - 80 %

In other words 800 buys you guaranteed 1/2” groups out of any rifle. 1100 gets you guaranteed ~ .1 or better out of any rifle. 😳
Originally Posted by gunzo
Something damn handy & helpful on sporter rifles when using a bench rest type rest is a fore end adapter. Take the fore end to a flat, slick 3" wide surface that rides the front bag well. They mount using the front sling swivel threads.

Sinclair used to sell a couple versions, or they can be easily made.

I've been using them for years...nothing better for testing a sporter stock from a rest. smile

The second best part is seeing the 'Ah-Ha' look in their eyes when they use one of mine and connect the dots..... -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Being a Tool & Diemaker I made my own rest several years ago, used it for zeroing and load development for many years. For the last several years I have been using an inexpensive Midway plastic front rest with Protector bags front and rear. I can see no difference in group size using either rest.
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” forend instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?
Dr. Mann used a wooden V block with sand bag IIRC. Ever tired that.
I have been through a lot of rests over 30 years, and have decided to use for target practice whatever the rifle will be hunted with.

That is dog-gone-good shooting bags for rodents.

That is a bipod and light rear bag for ruminants.
I bought Sinclair's version of the "accuracy asset" and sold it. Not needed if you get a front bag that fits your rifle's stock / fore end and it works much better than the gizmo.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” fore end instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?

The adapter fits virtually every fore end and gives amazing stability to sporter style stocks. Why have a bag that's a compromise for everything you put in it? You have to buy a bag anyway so why not get a 3" and the adapter? Trying to do meaningful testing with a stock that fits in the bag like a saddle on a sow is like pushing a rope...lots of effort and with no repeatable results. wink

They used to start cars with cranks, too. eek

This 3" bag is what gets used with the adapter. The black bag and top is for 2.25" fore ends and will go about 1/4" each way and still work decently.

Good shootin'. -Al

Nice AL you learn something every day....
I need a new top for my old Hart rest
Al,
my compliments to the range chairman. That bench looks mighty stout.
Looks well secured to the Earth.
Bull bag filled with non scented kitty litter.
I use a Buddy Bag for the front (cradles the whole front end) with a Rabbit Ear leather sandbag rear. I have a smaller home made sandbag that makes fine adjustments under the forearm. I can put this on a truck hood, tailgate, corner of a truck bed, heck, about anywhere and my zero will still be on when I just use the Sit or Shooting Sticks, etc.
Hey Al, all the bullsh*t aside, going back to the OP question about the rest you used, my pick was the Bald Eagle as best value Per se on the market today. Funny how in a previous post you came to the same conclusion. Now it’s cow dung.
Hey Al, all the bullsh*t aside, going back to the OP question about the rest you used, my pick was the Bald Eagle as best value Per se on the market today. Funny how in a previous post you came to the same conclusion. Now it’s cow dung.

Yep...the Bald Eagle BE1128 rest is a fine choice. As a matter of fact, on page 2 of this recent thread , I recommended it:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16732421/1

Where did you get the idea I didn't think so? confused -Al
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” fore end instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?

The adapter fits virtually every fore end and gives amazing stability to sporter style stocks. Why have a bag that's a compromise for everything you put in it? You have to buy a bag anyway so why not get a 3" and the adapter? Trying to do meaningful testing with a stock that fits in the bag like a saddle on a sow is like pushing a rope...lots of effort and with no repeatable results. wink

They used to start cars with cranks, too. eek

This 3" bag is what gets used with the adapter. The black bag and top is for 2.25" fore ends and will go about 1/4" each way and still work decently.

Good shootin'. -Al

+1

The forearm adapter mitigates the torque effect on the stock when firing a rifle. A round forearm on a rounded bag is like a drunk trying to stand up in a canoe... grin

IMO the aluminum rest is a compromise. They were designed by F-Open (F-Class) shooters who flew to matches (especially international travel) to save weight on their checked baggage so they could bring their ammo along with them on the flight.
The Other Al.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The forearm adapter mitigates the torque effect on the stock when firing a rifle. A round forearm on a rounded bag is like a drunk trying to stand up in a canoe... grin

IMO the aluminum rest is a compromise. They were designed by F-Open (F-Class) shooters who flew to matches (especially international travel) to save weight on their checked baggage so they could bring their ammo along with them on the flight.
The Other Al.

Yep...when it comes to a front rest, the heavier the better. I think the aluminum Bald Eagle is a pretty good compromise for the majority of shooters. A good pal of mine uses one for his hunting rings and lays some steel shot bags across each leg...actually works pretty good.

The classic Hart cast iron like I have is still available. It comes with a top and pillow-style bag that works pretty decent on most guns and the price is pretty reasonable since the bag is included. I have one of those tops/bag setups also and use it in certain situations.

https://www.hartcustomrifles.com/product/competition-1-front-rifle-rest-with-bag/

The adapter really is nice on narrow fore arms like on my Mini Mark X:

Good shootin' -Al
I use a Ransom rest.
I don't use a rest with metal ears or any metal on top due to heavy recoiling rifles. What goes up, must come down, and I don't want any stock damage when it does. I have some sort of rest I forget the brand that I throw a few sandbags on and lett'er buck. Hardly feel a thing. Seems to work.

You guys need to pay attention to Al. He has been around several turnip patches and hasn't fallen off the turnip truck.He ain't one that got his knowledge on the "innerneck".
I have had several rests through the years and like the cast iron Bald Eagle best and I use my own rest top that I mfg and sell.
www.shadetreeea.com.
If you are serious you will have a heavy and stable base. You need a top and bag that securely holds your rifle and resists torque. I did chuckle at the feller that went from one rest to another and shot .1xxx groups.
but can you guys use your fancy rests to change a flat in the parking lot afterwards?.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
but can you guys use your fancy rests to change a flat in the parking lot afterwards?.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Chuckle chuckle Does a rifle fall off of it like a car does?
Caldwell The Rock BR. Get smooth leather bags for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Adj...l+the+rock&qid=1641691363&sr=8-2

A rabbit ear rear bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Protektor-Model-Rabbit-Rear-Bottom/dp/B006MFYQ5C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2HWDALFZVNDVW&keywords=rabbit+ear+shooting+rest&qid=1641691525&sprefix=rabbit+ear+shooting+rest%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-4
Owl ear front:

https://www.amazon.com/Protektor-Model-Owl-Front-Medium/dp/B00JD56CFA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A6X9LVX8SXB9&keywords=Protektor&qid=1641691612&sprefix=protektor%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1
Armednfree,

I've been using the Caldwell The Rock Benchrest rifle rest, in combination with a Caldwell, rabbit-ear bag for the rear for a decade now. It's similar design (and weight) to some other heavy front rests, and have shot many 5-shot (not 3-shot) groups less than .2 inches off it using my 6mm PPC bench rifle, and a number around .15.

On the other hand, my everyday front rest is the standard Caldwell Rock, which is a basic tripod rest weighing less than 1/4 as much. Partly as an experiment, I used it with the 6mm PPC rifle last year when I forgot to take the "big rest" to the range. Was trying a new bullet and powder, so seated the bullets a little shy of the lands (usually seat them touching in this rifle) just to see what velocity/pressure was before proceeding further. Turned out all the groups had four shots in around .16, with one "flier" that opened them up a little.

Was that due to the lighter rest, or seating the bullets a little off the lands? Dunno, because testing conditions and my schedule haven't coincided since. The weather went from windy, dry and very warm(a new 70-degree local record for December in this part of Montana) to well below zero within two weeks.

But might have to compare groups off both rests this spring....
Caldwell Rock. Jr. front rest and rear Protektor rabbit ear bag.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Armednfree,

I've been using the Caldwell The Rock Benchrest rifle rest, in combination with a Caldwell, rabbit-ear bag for the rear for a decade now. It's similar design (and weight) to some other heavy front rests, and have shot many 5-shot (not 3-shot) groups less than .2 inches off it using my 6mm PPC bench rifle, and a number around .15.

On the other hand, my everyday front rest is the standard Caldwell Rock, which is a basic tripod rest weighing less than 1/4 as much. Partly as an experiment, I used it with the 6mm PPC rifle last year when I forgot to take the "big rest" to the range. Was trying a new bullet and powder, so seated the bullets a little shy of the lands (usually seat them touching in this rifle) just to see what velocity/pressure was before proceeding further. Turned out all the groups had four shots in around .16, with one "flier" that opened them up a little.

Was that due to the lighter rest, or seating the bullets a little off the lands? Dunno, because testing conditions and my schedule haven't coincided since. The weather went from windy, dry and very warm(a new 70-degree local record for December in this part of Montana) to well below zero within two weeks.

John, I commend you on this post. Thanks.
Thats almost like coming out of the closet on live TV.
Naw I tried in another thread to get JB to disclose that little tidbit, nope buy my book. 👌 Got too damn many now.
Anyhow about 6 or 7 years ago I got into an online postal match or something like that for 22 rimfire. Rules were simple use an ARA type target @ 50 yards. 50 shots for score. No bench guns or machine rests allowed. You could use sandbags or any solid non adjustable front plus a standard rear bag. My solution was a Mann-Niedner type v-block with a small sand bag filling the v notch and a cheap Caldwell bag stapled to it, It actually worked very well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Conclusion was that while not as easily adjusted or bag stable 😂 , it was still solid enough to get good accuracy.
A friend of mine picked up a '70s LH 700 BDL in 25-06 that had a very cr@ppy scope mounted on it. We were at the range one day shooting some guns and he offered me a chance to shoot it. Moving over to the bench he was firing on he had a 4"×4" with a straight sandbag on top under the forearm. I got behind the gun and put five shots into a sub ½ moa group at 100 yards shooting Remington Core-Loks. Last time I talked to him no one has been able to duplicate the group, honestly I doubt I could do it again myself.
We had a Factory Class at our club benchrest matches. Ole Mr. Wright was pretty strict on the rules governing what constituted a factory gun. The rifle had to have a factory barrel, stock and trigger, no forearm adapters or lead sleds allowed. I shot a 700VS in .223rem that would agg in the mid .3s, I got my a$$ handed to me by a very good shooting Cooper in 6ppc.
If doing load testing I prefer to use the most stable rest setup available...
We had a Factory Class at our club benchrest matches. Ole Mr. Wright was pretty strict on the rules governing what constituted a factory gun. The rifle had to have a factory barrel, stock and trigger, no forearm adapters or lead sleds allowed.

I met Dick when Randy Robnett and I traveled to Holton, Mi. for the IBS Score Nationals in 2010. Dick and Jeff Aberegg took us to dinner one evening and we enjoyed a few adult beverages together.

Good shootin'. -Al
There used to be some fellers from Arkansas that came to our F Class matches.....

Backed up to the bank opened up his tail gate got a bag of deer corn.....walked to the mound threw it on the ground and proceeded to kick everyone's azzz.....

Got to love it.
I use the Caldwell BR also, with heavy sand bag on the rear stock. The Caldwell BR is decent, better after some polishing and lubricating on the metal parts. https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/
We had a Factory Class at our club benchrest matches. Ole Mr. Wright was pretty strict on the rules governing what constituted a factory gun. The rifle had to have a factory barrel, stock and trigger, no forearm adapters or lead sleds allowed.

I met Dick when Randy Robnett and I traveled to Holton, Mi. for the IBS Score Nationals in 2010. Dick and Jeff Aberegg took us to dinner one evening and we enjoyed a few adult beverages together.

Good shootin'. -Al

I quote this only for the AJ300 comments.
That was basically the rules in factory class since I started shooting score about ~91. But as all things change in match directors who was a full blown BR shooter whose word was gospel fugged it all up. How many factory deer or varmint rifle have fixed 36x or higher target scopes?

Good shootin'. -Al

Al, Dick and I used to have Berkley cars. He shot a lot of 2015BR powder and I traded him 8lbs. We shared a love of walnut stocked customs. Old Jeff, he still likes a good beverage. We still talk or email. If you have an email address for Mike Bigelow would you share it.
Naw I tried in another thread to get JB to disclose that little tidbit, nope buy my book. 👌 Got too damn many now.

Swifty,

I don't recall that thread.

Do recall mentioning a thread where I mentioned a more involved test I'd done with various rests, including shooting off a piece of ponderosa pine firewood with a trapdoor Springfield .45-70, to test various long-time beliefs in how forend rests affect accuracy and point-of-impact. I wasn't about to put all the details in a Campfire post, primarily because most Internet readers won't read more than three paragraphs. But it was published in RIFLE.

And yes, if there's a lot of information on some subject, I do prefer people to read my longer essays on the subject, rather than guessing.

Lately just a couple sand bags and an old towel. Tried all the lead sled set-ups and don't care for them. Will sometimes use small camera tripods.

Phil
I had a buddy bought a lead slead....biggest piece of crap I ever tried to shoot off of.

If you can shoot a good group off that thing you'd probably be a world class shooter off a good set up.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Armednfree,

Ordered a Rock BR model today. That “climbing” Lyman (sorry) is a piece of junk. I thought it was a neat idea at first and then watched my groups go inconsistently to hell….I rubbed both brain cells together and noted the higher you Jack it up, the more wobbly and unstable it becomes. Just what I needed to shoot little bitty groups. I’ve got two Caldwell shooting bags, where your rifle rests in between two rolls…..pretty decent, but I can do better.
© 24hourcampfire