Home
Posted By: jwp475 Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
For sharing his knowledge here with everyone! Even as rude as some posters are.

Thank you for your generosity with your industry knowledge.

I only have Federal 215 primers and I asked if they would work in the 22-250 and JB told me that they would but probably require a grain or so less powder. Loading with CFE223 Hogdon listed a top charge of 39.2 grain with WLP primer for 3857 FPS I topped out at 38 grains for 3827 FPS..
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
JB always makes himself available to share his life long experience. I have benefited from his knowledge many times.

Thanks again JB
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Yep, +1
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Yep,+2
Posted By: bwinters Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
+3.
Posted By: gbear Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Yeah Muley, thanks for sharing your wisdom, providing direction, and suffering the occasional fool gladly….
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Well said. Couldn’t agree more. Thanks, JB!
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Yep, thanks to John and his writings and advice I own a 6.5x55, (3) 7x57’s, (2) 250 Savages and a 204 Ruger. Before that I was happy with one M77 30-06 tanger. Never knew how much I was missing out on. Thanks MuleDeer!
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
His book on cartridges and loads is my first go.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/16/22
Thanks very much, guys!

But must admit I get far more out of the Campfire than I could ever provide. It's a great place to find out what shooters/hunters are interested in, along with varied reports on different stuff.

John
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
I’ve contacted him in private a couple times with questions. Because I knew if I asked the questions on here in public I’d get 100 different responses. Some would be right I’m sure and some would have been wrong. But the main reason was so the dickheads wouldn’t have gotten involved. Thanks JB/MD
Edit: perfect example in big game rifles right now.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Yes, Thanks Mule Deer.

Everyone should subscribe to Rifle Loony News to show our appreciation.
Posted By: Deans Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I’ve contacted him in private a couple times with questions. Because I knew if I asked the questions on here in public I’d get 100 different responses. Some would be right I’m sure and some would have been wrong. But the main reason was so the dickheads wouldn’t have gotten involved. Thanks JB/MD

^^^^^^^^^
This
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
I’ve been a fan for years. I have sure appreciated him taking time out to answer questions and share his expertise.
That’s a lot of years of experience and research that he’s accumulated from all parts of the world. I’ve learned a lot.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
What y'all said.
Rex
Posted By: hanco Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Thanks for your time and knowledge your share with us!. Thank you jwp475 for starting this! Overdue
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Can't add anything that hasn't already been said. JB is a resource of inestimable value and we are fortunate to have him.
Posted By: boomwack Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Mule deer has been a mountain of help and knowledge for me since before this 'interweb' stuff got going....

Thanks a bunch John!!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Agreed. Along with his generous sharing of time and expertise with us, his writing is interesting to read. The first paragraph of his first bore scope article still makes me laugh when that issue makes it back to the top of my reading pile of old gun magazines.
Posted By: fshaw Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Always enjoy what he writes, knowledgable and to the point.

Thank you.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Thanx.
I enjoyed you on Gun Talk a few weeks ago too
Posted By: GreggH Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Enjoying Gack 3 right now. Hope for more sequels.

GreggH
Posted By: jwall Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
My Thanks & Appreciation Too.

It’s a great benefit to get info from someone with connections
inside of the firearms & ammo industries.

Thanks Again

Jerry
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
... Yes... Thank You MD... I have always considered this place as "OZ".. and Mule Deer the "Wizard"...
Posted By: PennDog Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
What the others have said - many times over. Generous with his knowledge and time and much appreciated from my perspective!!

Thank you,
PennDog
Posted By: Old__School Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Always appreciate the responses JB has given to my posts.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
...and he's a pretty decent writer for a gun hack. (intended as a well deserved compliment)
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
I always enjoyed JB's writing. I was directed to the Campfire through several gun related Google searches before I joined. It took me awhile to figure out who Mule Deer was, but when I did is when I joined.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge JB!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by PennDog
What the others have said - many times over. Generous with his knowledge and time and much appreciated from my perspective!!

Thank you

And another!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
He's good people.

Not many around now days.
John is always a straight up gentleman and clear and concise with this info..
One of the true treasures of this site.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Thanks, Mule Deer. I always give your posts substantial weight.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Yep he turned me on to the greatest load ever! .22 Hornet case full of Lil Gun and a CCI Small Rifle Magnum primer.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
I like Eileen.

Slave

P.S. JB is solid, but you won’t starve with Eileen.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
As the others have said I appreciate your input here. You helped me turn my #1 450/400 into a deer rifle LOL. I've read the first 10 years of Rifle Looney News more than once. Your writings in Sports Afield are the first thing I read.
Posted By: OGB Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Yep. Writes from experience not theory and is entertaining to boot. E. F. Hutton of the Gun world.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Thanks again, guys! It's hard to comprehend that I've now been a Campfire member for over 20 years...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
JB gives us info not readily available else where.Much appreciated Amigo!!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
John , Thank you so much you keep things simple to understand . also put me down for Gun Gack # 4 Pete53
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
My start with JB was the optics column in Petersens hunting if I remember correctly. That was like 40 + years ago? Is that right JB? Bee following you ever since.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
That was right around 30 years ago. Craig Boddington was still editing the magazine then, and hired me. We'd already known each other for a decade!
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by gbear
Yeah Muley, thanks for sharing your wisdom, providing direction, and suffering the occasional fool gladly….

Fixed it. grin
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/18/22
My favorite forum has always been Ass, the gunwriters. smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by gbear

Fixed it. grin

Yep! :-)))
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/18/22
I have stacks of magazines going back years with JB articles. He’s also answered many of my questions in PM’s. Thanks John.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I have stacks of magazines going back years with JB articles. He’s also answered many of my questions in PM’s. Thanks John.

If you don't have it, my personal favorite is the
"Anything but bolts " article ( Handloader/Rifle?)
if you can find a copy.
I need to find another myself after loaning it
so many times. Needs more tape to hold it
together
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/18/22
Yes, I enjoy your posts and the info you readily share!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
Thanks to John sharing his experiences and knowledge in optics and reloading I now load more accurate ammo and have made correct selections in scopes for my needs.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
Always trust what John has to say.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
... Yes... Thank You MD... I have always considered this place as "OZ".. and Mule Deer the "Wizard"...

Perhaps not.

The wizard of oz was a phony!
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
Another JB fan here !
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

Perhaps not.

I did not know that as i never watched the the whole movie... Anyway, I meant it as the highest compliment!...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/19/22
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: OGB Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by mod7rem

If you don't have it, my personal favorite is the
"Anything but bolts " article ( Handloader/Rifle?)
if you can find a copy.
I need to find another myself after loaning it
so many times. Needs more tape to hold it
together

Reminded of a article of his about "other bolt actions".
Discussed the merits of a-bolts, rugers and CZs. Great one.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
It's comforting to know not everyone in the asylum is a patient.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Good to know how many like my articles--even if I can't remember some of the articles!

Good hunting!
John
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Evnin Yep no BS, honest tests no hedging, no everything shot over 600yr, like fresh air!!!!! Another one is Steve Tim in varmint hunter always go to his charts first and then read the article. Thanks a million, keeps most on here somewhat honest. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: saddlering Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Have enjoyed your writing and books for years John, please Don't retire on us!
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good to know how many like my articles--even if I can't remember some of the articles!

Good hunting!
John

If you wrote it, it's an article I'm interested in reading. I appreciate your availability to answering questions members have as well.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yep,+2

Plus 3. Every time I've asked JB a question he's given me good information that's not available just anywhere.

Even though I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm a dick.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
HA HA!

One thing I've been happy to do is answer questions asked by PM, because that often avoids dealing with the real dicks....
Posted By: Deans Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
HA HA!

One thing I've been happy to do is answer questions asked by PM, because that often avoids dealing with the real dicks....

Yep
Posted By: GeoW Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
Yep, thanks for being here!
Posted By: LowBC Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
I often refer to previous conversations and load recommendations, to the point of having some saved in a file. The information on the load data for 9.3x62 was amazing when I first bought one, and bang on too. Thanks MD from the other side of the world.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
HA HA!

It's those Canadians Jordan and Dwayne again, isn't it?

LOL.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

Perhaps not.

I did not know that as i never watched the the whole movie... Anyway, I meant it as the highest compliment!...

I knew how it was intended. Just that JB ain’t a phony.

Happy for your contributions John.
John, it must have been around 30 years ago I read one of your articles in Rifle or Handloader, you commented that you had kept a detailed record of every game animal you had shot or seen shot. That made a big impression on me and I started watching for your articles and paying attention to them.

I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge here.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/22/22
I have always appreciated John's accessibility as well. Good guy, and a benefit to all of us.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/22/22
Yup. Agree.

The stuff John B has taught me through his articles and books... I just picked up some more info on an article about setting up dies for straighter case necks & better accuracy... Stuff I sure didn't know.

Thanks John, keep it up! You've got a loyal fan base here for sure.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/23/22
Thanks JB, always solid info and gentlemanly delivery.
Posted By: Geeman Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/23/22
I have been a member of the Fire for many years but rarely post. MD/JB has shown time and time again over the years that he is a true gentleman and when he posts I pay attention. Many, many years ago I was looking to purchase some good quality binos on a tight budget and on his recommendation I bought some for Doug at Cameraland - I am still using them and I just got back from a trip during which I used the binos plenty and remain grateful for the good advice. Thank you JB and to the others that have and continue to share their knowledge and experience (Scenarshooter, Dogzapper, Mackay Sagebrush etc.).
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/23/22
DFQ's must make mule deer tired some days. I do not know how he does it ! He actually knows what he is talking about. Not just arm chair theory and BS.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
JB always makes himself available to share his life long experience. I have benefited from his knowledge many times.

Thanks again JB

This. Thanks John!
Posted By: deer1 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
He is one of my favorite posters!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
Thanks again, guys!

Have learned many lessons from older gun writers over the years, including both Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor. Both wrote from extensive personal experience, and while they disagreed about "adequate" cartridges, they also knew how to take the reader along on their hunts--which I suspect is at least as important as technical knowledge.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
Thanks as the others have said.

That was right around 30 years ago. Craig Boddington was still editing the magazine then, and hired me. We'd already known each other for a decade!

Just read in the newspaper today that my dads local gun club where we skeet shoot at is getting much of Craig Boddingtons trophies and other memorabilia for display as they convert an old downtown 3 story JC Penney store into a museum/store/indoor range. They’re excited about it. Not sure his connection to a Independence, KS but found it interesting to read today and then stumble in his mention in this thread.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
Craig was born and raised in Kansas.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
I too wish to convey my appreciation for your contributions here. The amount of technical knowledge that JB shares here is only outshined by his practical knowledge and “real world” experience.

I also appreciate the decorum and patience he has with us. After answering the same questions a thousand times I’d expect a certain level of impatience or annoyance but he still politely answers the questions and freely shares his opinions and experience.

John….thank you! You are a great asset to this motley group. 👍
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
I'm not one to jump in on the usual "stroke the other campfire member" threads. However, I don't consider this one of those threads. It's not very often when someone in John's line of work takes the time to correspond regularly with the "regular guy". I for one, on a couple of occasions, have taken the opportunity to correspond with John. I can say that on each occurrence it was to my great benefit. What little I do know of John, he is a generally humble guy. I personally want to take the opportunity on this open public forum to say "Thank you John, you are a credit to your profession and to those of us who partake in our joint areas of interest".
Posted By: Winchester21 Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/27/22
Another BIG thanks to John (and Eileen). I have been a fan almost from the beginning.
By the way, Rifles and Recipes is the best $10.00 you will ever spend.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Another BIG thanks to John (and Eileen). I have been a fan almost from the beginning.
By the way, Rifles and Recipes is the best $10.00 you will ever spend.

Thanks!

But am guessing you meant a $10 yearly subscription to Rifle Loony News. Have been working for the past week on my articles for the May edition, which have so far been approved by the editor-in-chief.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/28/22
I too have benefitted greatly from the knowledge that John shares! It's been a real help to me, especially in improving my reloading skills.
Posted By: elephantrider Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/28/22
Your Knowledge and the time you impact here are forever appreciated.

Many thanks, Muley.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/28/22
Between John and Eileen I am a better shot and eat at a much better level. Can't thank them enough.
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/30/22
Ditto!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by stantdm
Between John and Eileen I am a better shot and eat at a much better level. Can't thank them enough.

Thanks very much from both of us! Can we quote you on that?
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 02/02/22
Just reupped my subscription as well. Much enjoy it!
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Thanks To Mule Deer - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by jwp475
Even as rude as some posters are.

I too appreciate MDs contributions here, but it's rich for you to refer to other posters as rude.
© 24hourcampfire