Home
Posted By: powdr Good deer bullet for 22Creed - 01/22/22
Anybody killed one or have 2nd hand knowledge? powdr
This site has many references to deer killed with fast twist 22-250 rifles, Improved and regular. How different is a Creedmoor going to be?
Originally Posted by powdr
Anybody killed one or have 2nd hand knowledge? powdr

Not a deer, but I did whack a caribou with a 62gr TSX out of my .22-250AI. It was a 350yd shot, quartering towards me. The bullet entered on the near shoulder and exited just behind the far shoulder. The 'bou dropped immediately, and I was impressed at how quickly the little TSX put the animal down.

My 22 Creedmoor arrived in June, but I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet. I'm sure it will perform admirably, though, launching 62s at Mach 3.2!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Good deer bullet for 22Creed - 01/22/22
First hand I know the 75 amax is good. I know the 62 tsx is good. That is all I’ve used in 22-250AI and the amax is all we’ve used in it for years now.

Second hand information the 88’s are good along with the Berger’s and tipped 77’s.
Posted By: hanco Re: Good deer bullet for 22Creed - 01/22/22
62 Bear Claw or 62 TTSX is what I use for pigs in a 22-250 and 223’s. If they will kill 200 lb pigs, I think they take a deer easy.
Anything that works in the 22-250 with a fast twist works well.
Lots of threads on it.

I've used 75 amax, 88 eld, 77 tmk, 62 tsx, and nosler bonded with fine results
The one Eileen and I have been using in the .22-250 for a few years now is the 70-grain Hornady GMX, which has worked great out to 350 yards.

Of course, Hornady just discontinued the GMX bullets--and replaced the line with their new CX bullet, which is all-copper and features their heat-resistant plastic tips. But so far they're not listing any .224 CXs. Luckily, I have a good stash of 70 GMXs!
Posted By: powdr Re: Good deer bullet for 22Creed - 01/22/22
Thanks for the comments guys. Damn, Mathman I just love your subtle posts. powdr
Kaleb, what are the tipped 77's? powdr
I just bought a box of 70 grain hammer hunter bullets for my 1:8 22-250. I haven't loaded them yet, but they look great and i'm sure will kill deer no problem

they have 73 grain and 83 grain available as well

Sierra Tipped Matchking.
i can't see a 75gr amax/eld-m being a good combo inside of 300 yards. it's splashy inside of 125 yards with a 2875 launch from a 223.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Sierra Tipped Matchking.

But, But, it is a target bullet
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
i can't see a 75gr amax/eld-m being a good combo inside of 300 yards. it's splashy inside of 125 yards with a 2875 launch from a 223.

Elds dig a little better than you’d think, samples of deer and antelope
i shot a mule deer in sodak in the crease at 125 yards and it didn't make it past the first lung. shot it again in the neck and it dropped. it was a big gaping hole on the first shot.

another mule deer i shot at 100 in the spine and it barely exited.

same with a MD doe at 26 yards. hit her just right of throat. no exit.

all deer died, so it didn't fail but.... i've had a lot better success at similar ranges with 77gr tmk.

now at distance, bullet upset with the 75gr eld-m is very good. plenty soft. good exits.

i'm only shooting 7-12 critters a year nowadays now that i'm only hunting sodak/wyo. i can't kill 10 goats in a morning from point blank to 800 just to test bullets like i could in my nzed days.
Pass through under 200
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not a “ pass through “ guy, but just for conversation. I rather enjoy bullets entering and blowing the fuuck up personally

Bigger than average there
Originally Posted by Judman

Bigger than average there

That’s a nice piece of train track.
Hell ya 👍
Originally Posted by mathman
This site has many references to deer killed with fast twist 22-250 rifles, Improved and regular. How different is a Creedmoor going to be?

CM : Minimal taper .462” diameter at 30 degree shoulder ,
AI : A tad more taper, .454” +/- at 40 degree shoulder ,
.22-250 Standard Lots of taper .414” with 28 degree shoulder angle

All similar, but subtly different shapes.

Will the 22 CM clean up a 22-250 Rem Standard chamber ?

Will that CM chamber fire form Standard brass to CM ?
Or does it need a step in the neck for forming ?
When I addressed the OP my comment/question was with respect to terminal ballistics on deer.
Got that mathmegician,

My point is that I’m looking at building a 6 mm CM, with bushing dies ,it might well be worthwhile to convert a 14” twist 22-250 for brass forming for a 22CM instead of rechambering to AI . All good fun and hypothetical at this juncture.

In Alberta we can’t legally hunt big game with a .22, so not really necessary for my coyote rig, Yet …
© 24hourcampfire