Home
Looking back, have you ever looked at or handled a gun and laid it back down and walked away only to wish later you had grabbed it? Either a good price or a hard to find piece.
Yes, now if they wink at me their coming home with me.

You can always sell them if they don’t workout.
A few years ago, I found a Holland and Holland , .30 Super Magazine Rifle at a gun show on a Sunday, far from home, for 2,500 in pristine condition. I tried everything under the sun to round up 2,500 bucks on a Sunday afternoon, to no avail. Returned after raiding every ATM in the town, and the guy had left. Oh well, lesson learned, never went to a show again without a roll.
Pretty much all the under $300 Smith & Wessons I passed on back in the day still bother me.Two examples would be a M1937 Brazilian contract for $250, and a post-war pre model # 38/44 Heavy Duty for $300. Neither were minty, but they were nice.
Closeout Steyr Professionals for $300 just prior to the release of the Steyr SBS. Late '90's.

A 20Ga Merkel 47 for $1,200 circa 2002-2003

2 or 3 unfired M70 SS Classic 375 H&H's for $400 when Gander Mountain opened in the early 2000's.
A M70 Classic featherweight 6.5x55 sat at my LGS for a few years with no takers. I kept looking and looking. Went to the store two days after I learned of New Haven closing, and it had disappeared. frown
Remington 7600 carbine chambered in 35 Remington
Remington 760 chambered in 35 Remington
Winchester 64 chambered in 30-30

Those are the three that I think about the most.
A Colt Cobra in 32NP for $200. At the time I wasn’t interested in Colts or 32s.

A 6.5” 38/44 Heavy Duty for $400. I had bought a 4” earlier that week for the same price and though I had the money I didn’t have any interest in a 6.5”. Now I wish like heck I’d have bought it.
The only ones I can think of those that showed up after i bought something else or didn't have the money for another reason.
Biggest Regret

Colt Delta Elite SS, 10 mm.... $ 400.00

@ 1990
I would have loaded to 40 S&W spec.

I bought a S&W 6906, I still have.

Jerry
Currently I am eyeballing an HK SL-7... I'll likely head back in a couple of days so we shall see.
i could say the same thing about cars , land , jobs and ladies too its all part of a learning curve in life
Originally Posted by JDK

Yep - any of those would be pretty sweet to own
Why yes, there's one regret from about ten years ago: What I am now convinced was a Mauser type B .30-06, but at the time thought was some sort of nicely done sporterized mauser. For all of about $500 at a shop far away while I was traveling for work. Ugh.
Back when sporting goods stores actually carried firearms, there was a small shop in a mall in CR that carried Ithaca 37s. They were going out of business at that location and had things on sale. There was a beautiful English model 20 gauge that I didn't think I should spend the money on. I should have.
How about a Mannlicher-Shoenauer MCA .358 Winchester Stutzen? He wanted $1100 and I didn't want to put more than $1000 in it. Bullheadedness triumphs again!
Back in the late 1980's I was offered 6 NIB Savage 99s for $4500, 3x PE and 3x DE, 1 of each style in 243, 284, and 308.

We had just finished grad school and had a combined income of only $62K per year, just not enough discretionary income to justify buying them. Exercising 20/20 hindsight about what might hve been is just a waste of time. Coulda, shoulda, woulda is meaningless bullchit.
Several old Sako L-61’s
Many. I simply didn't have the money at that point in life but I'm still regretting their escape.

1) Ruger .357 Maxi .. 7-1/2" barrel.
2) Ruger 10-1/2" super blackhawk with the tapered barrel and ramp front.
3) Dan Wesson 10" (?) .44
4) McMillan single shot .50 BMG
5) S&W 16-4 8-3/8" .32 mag
6) Browning and Marlin lever actions in .218 bee, .25-20, and .32-20
7) Never saw one, but I should have ordered a Marlin 336 Cowboy in .30-30 when they were available
I should’ve grabbed a Winchester model 71 back before they went out of sight. And even though I’m not much of a shotgun man, I had several chances at a few Ithaca 37 Deerslayers that were in excellent shape, and dirt cheap.
Only two, and coincidentally both custom Mausers.

One years ago right here on the Classifieds; an incomplete custom .257 Rbts with most of the work already done, good looking walnut, barrel still in the white, just needed bluing and assembly. Giveaway price. I thought about it for 15 minutes too long.

The other was even longer ago at a show; a beautiful .308, matte oil-finished stock that would have ranked XX or XXX, action and barrel matte finished before matte was cool. Guy was in a bad situation and was selling it for half what it was worth. I was much younger and still short by about $100. Should have borrowed the money from my dad or a friend.
About 20 years ago, and well before I knew better, an A Grade Fox in 20 gauge with 32 inch barrels for $1,000.

I can remember thinking that my Ithaca pump had 28 inch barrels and that they were plenty long. I left, talked to a few guys and went back the next day and it was gone.
None, I cannot think of any gun I should have bought and didn't.

A few I probably should have kept, but water under the bridge. I do not lose sleep over any of them. Just guns.
Yup. A late model 721 .300 H&H on consignment. Now if it had been a same period M70 in the same condition .... well, name your price ...
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
Looking back, have you ever looked at or handled a gun and laid it back down and walked away only to wish later you had grabbed it? Either a good price or a hard to find piece.

My BIG regret was a Westley Richards Double rifle in 7x57, AAA grade wood, pristine condition for $6999...and I had the money at the time, and a green light from my wife. Didn't do it.

Instead I built a little machine that I step out of bed onto each morning, and it kicks me in the ass to remind me.
Boxcarman;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's behaving for you wherever this finds you and you're well.

Thanks for the thread as these are always interesting reading when they come up from time to time.

Although the old timers here have likely read this many times from me, I'll offer the following tales of woe.

In the winter of '82 I was freshly married, we were farming and I was doing some gun repair on the side to feed my addiction which was firearms but specifically I was really, REALLY getting into handloading.

The chap I was doing work for would come back from Bud Hayne's auctions with everything from factory Colt Richards conversions, Hakim's, C96 Broomhandles, Whitney Kennedy, Bullard, Ballard.... and Henry...

He brought back a really clean Henry which he offered to me for what he'd paid which I want to say was $1500. I didn't have it in liquid cash then and besides had my eyes on a new press, dies and a powder measure, so I passed. frown

About '83 or so I'm wandering through a gun show in Yorkton, SK and there's a well used New Service in .45 Colt - complete with lanyard too mind you - with NWMP - North West Mounted Police - stamped down the backstrap. The guy who has is is asking $400 which isn't nothing as I'd paid less than $200 for a new .357 Blackhawk a couple years previous. Besides as the guy said, "I'm not sure it's original issue as the stamping look like the guy who did it was drunk"...

Years later I'm at the local gun club and buddy says to me, "Hey you'll like this. Bet you've never handled one before" as he pulls out a New Service in .455 Eley/Colt, complete with lanyard and stamped on the backstrap with NWMP like the guy who did it was drunk.

A couple years after that I was talking on the phone with one of the authors of this book about it and we laughed about that and another story...

We were moving a nearly 100 year old pool table at an elderly ladies house as a favor a buddy was doing for her. On the wall is a straight sword - plain basket guard of steel, not a dress sword - and it's stamped NWMP!!!

Cautiously I asked her about it and she said her late husband got it from a former family member who was a NWMP Constable.

I offered what was then "way too much money" for me, but I wasn't going to let this one slip by me, no sir, not this time!!!

Of course she said she couldn't part with it yet but said she'd call me first if she decided to sell.

She's been gone now for decades and every time I drive by the house where she lived - did that yesterday heading up on a coyote calling run - I think about where that sword might have ended up. frown

There's more, but I'll leave it for now before I become despondent. wink laugh laugh

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne
Every time I go to a gunshow.
A few years ago, my go to LGS had Fieldcrafts in stock. I fondled a 7-08 at their counter on a few visits. “Nah, $1700 is a lot of money for a factory rifle…..”

Hindsight….:
Savage 99 284
Remington 600 35 Remington
American Arms 32 gauge O/U
Sako Left hand 375 H&H
Cooper left hand 22 Hornet

All could have been had really reasonable. Passed on each and have regretted it. I’m sure there were many others but these are the ones that come to mind.
The one that got away was a Ruger 77 Express in 270 that was for 850.00 about four years ago. I still kick myself for that. You never see those Ruger 77 express models anymore.

I should have had Al and Roger Biesen make me a Jack O'Connor No. 2 clone while they were still working about 10 years ago. But I was young and dumb.

A Remington model 7 rolling block in 25/20 Single Shot I saw on the used gun rack at Dixie Gunworks in the late ‘70’s. One of the neatest little rifle I’ve ever held. I think they they were asking right at $1000 which was a pretty good chunk of change at the time.
Pre-64 M70 Winchester .22 Hornet, $75 in a pawn shop, 1965. I was young, and wanted a .222 Remington. Face palm.

M94 Winchester made in 1956, $300. I asked myself "Why do I need a .30-30 lever? Hindsight.
1990-91 ish, Old Fort Gun Show Ft Smith Arkansas, Browning Olympian 338 Win Mag, long extractor, heaven sent carved walnut stock, light contour barrel, no sights, had the box and engraved rings and bases, 2000 bucks cash, i thought it to pretty to hunt with, and i was too damn young to be a collector, i still think about that rifle!
Years ago. I never had then money for none of them back then.
Nylon 22 RF with fold down forearm
Model 600 Remmington in .244
Remington Rolling block action to make a 45-70 or 38-55
Model 95 Winchster in 30-40
Original Ruger Bearcat
Browning 9mm
About 10 years ago in different shops.

One an early Ithaca 37 16 gauge in excellent condition for $300. Went back the next day to get it and it was gone.

77/22 with some rough wood but nice bluing for $200. I like refinishing wood, should have got it as a project.
Very early 2000's I think, a NIB Browning Low Wall with really nice wood. Reasonable price too. I passed because it was a 243 and I didn't yet acknowledge how good of a deer round it is.
I don't regret passing on many but have a few I wished I wouldn't have sold, including the below:

1. Kimber Montana .25-06 (long-story)

2. Kimber Montana .223 my dearly departed friend, JMSSI, was after it and eventually worked a multi-gun trade to get me to cave.

3. Older Citori Lightning 16 gauge with 28." Also part of the above multi-gun trade.

4. Citori Sporting gun that I shot extensively for three years (same situation and long-story as number 1).

5. Weatherby Ultra-Light Mark V 7mm Weatherby that shot Federal 160 Trophy Bonded factory loads into 3/4" at 3200 FPS. It was bought from Cabela's. They had a bunch of Ultra-Lights in the used department that were Shot Show display guns and gun writer test guns. Weatherby had swapped the stock for a black Fibermark stock for some reason. I sold it to fund one of the NULAs I've owned. Every time I've bought a NULA, I've sold other rifles and end up liking the rifles sold much better than the NULA I bought.

6. Winchester Featherweight Model 70 .270. 2008 reintroduction with beautiful wood. That I sold to fund yet another NULA. NULA is long gone and not missed but wish I had kept the Featherweight.
Remington Model 7 Predator, two of them actually............one in 17 Fireball, the other 221 Fireball, at Gander Mountain in Paducah, KY. Decided to go back and get the 221, and it was gone.

Remington Model 7 in 260. It was at Whittakers and was sitting in the sale rack. Got home, thought about it a day or so, and decided that I needed it. Called to make sure it was still there before I made the drive, and of course it was gone.

Remington 700 244 Rem. It was in a local pawn shop, and of course I decided to let it sit there and go down in price before I bought it. It, too, was gone when I went back.

The 260 and the 244 were something I didn't lose much sleep over, but those Predators in 17 and 221 Fireball were marked at a price that I still think about.
Too many to list!
Originally Posted by pete53
i could say the same thing about cars , land , jobs and ladies too its all part of a learning curve in life

Indeed.

At a time long ago and far away, I chanced upon an exquisite pre-war Springfield sporter, barreled by AO Niedner and stocked/prettied up by Bob Owen. Jesus, that gun could've been had for $500, and would be worth something not far south of $10K today. But no, I had my eye on an insanely cheap Jaguar E-Type too (couldn't afford both, and truth be told I'd have had to sell some guns to swing the Jag), and while I dithered they both were were snatched up by others.

Don't even get me started on the dynamic women I could've married but didn't.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Years ago. I never had then money for none of them back then.
Nylon 22 RF with fold down forearm
Model 600 Remmington in .244
Remington Rolling block action to make a 45-70 or 38-55
Model 95 Winchster in 30-40
Original Ruger Bearcat
Browning 9mm

I recently picked up an original, unconverted Bearcat .. 1966 manufacture I think. It's nice, about 6 ounces lighter than the current ones. Does not quite shoot to point of aim. I improved the accuracy a bit by fire lapping it. Looks like it was carried a lot and shot very little. Once I find a 5-1/2" barreled single six I'll probably sell the Bearcat.

Winchester 95s in .30-40 were the family go-to for a my great grandfathers', grandfathers', and father's generations. My father has 4 of them. He doesn't shoot 'em much. I bought up a small pile of WW and Rem brass over the years knowing that either I'll inherit them (no rush, please) or maybe borrow dad's dad's rifle and work on it. Couple of them are older guns with a military background and are somewhat shot out. That one was a commercial rifle, is in good shape, just needs the fore-end repaired a little 'cause it's loose .. probably too much oil on the wood softened it and the screw has sunk past the wood.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Back when sporting goods stores actually carried firearms, there was a small shop in a mall in CR that carried Ithaca 37s. They were going out of business at that location and had things on sale. There was a beautiful English model 20 gauge that I didn't think I should spend the money on. I should have.

I had one of those English Ultralights and swapped it for a Mini-14. I still regret that bone-headed move.
As far as guns I should have grabbed, but walked.
When I was about 19 my neighbor's wife passed away. Old German lady, she was a hunter, fisherman etc. I had just started deer hunting the year before, so her husband called me & asked me to come over. We had never been allowed to even walk on the sidewalk in front of their house without getting yelled at so I was a little apprehensive to say the least.
Anyway, he has a 6 gun cabinet in the front room and offered me all the guns and the cabinet for $200. 200 DOLLARS!
I had never had that much money in my life ad I figured it was just a bunch of old stuff, so I passed. I can only imagine what was in there. Old Winchesters, Parkers? I still kick my own butt over that deal.
700 bdl 7mm/08 standard barrel (not varmit special) was $475 on a table at a gun show and i didnt buy it dumb dumb dumb 586 smith and wesson 6" barrel mint no box $400 had it in my hands and passed cause i already had one 338win mag model 70 classic stainless $400 sitting on a rack in a gun show passed caused i thought it was too much gun (with 458 win mag and 375 h&h mags in the stable now)
I forgot about the Ithaca 37's. I dreamed of a20 gauge back then.
A 7x57 in Featherweight - got my 30-06 instead tho 🤷🏻‍♂️
a Savage model 99 in 22 Hi power. Very nice shape . $125 dollars. gun shop talked me out of it as he said you can't find shells for it. This was back in the 80's. Still hate that guy
A Marlin 1894 41mag. in a pawn shop, thought he was asking too much for it so I passed on the deal.
Traded a Beretta BM59 for a Savage 99C in 284 Win and a few days later went back and tried to buy the Beretta back and the guy just laughed.
Bunch of years back at a gun show I missed out on a S&W Triple Lock . Fellow had several in the $475-$650 range but I was low on cash . I offered to trade a two tone Colt 70 Series 9mm with an extra barrel in 9x23 Winchester . He liked the the Colt but said he didn't know enough about them to be comfortable trading . Never saw him again and now TL's bring thousands instead of hundreds .

Also messed up on the .250 Savage carbines Ruger made a few years back . Went in the local gun shop one day and they had six , three in 6.5x55 and 3 in .250 Savage . I left with a 6.5x55 intending to go back later in the week for a .250 . Bad move , should have put one on hold as they sold out in two days and never got any more . Don't regret getting the 6.5 first but I sure wish I hadn't missed the .250 . Wish they would make another run in .250 Savage and some in 7x57 also .
Biggest regret, Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 45 Colt for 550. I wanted it to complete the trio of 41/44/45 5.5"

Didn't know at the time it was an extremely small production run. Last time I found one it was 1500 with bids still climbing
A used NULA in 308 with a stainless barrel. I could see copper in the barrel and the stock paint was worn smooth in spots. Plus I had just bought a Fieldcraft.

But it was only $999 on the used rack at Cabelas...
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Biggest regret, Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 45 Colt for 550. I wanted it to complete the trio of 41/44/45 5.5"

Didn't know at the time it was an extremely small production run. Last time I found one it was 1500 with bids still climbing

Did they make a 5.5" in 357 magnum? I've seen Redhawks in 357 but it has been a long time since.
Remington Model 7 KS and FS. I looked at racks of them figuring I'd find used after a while. Never happened. Should of bought one in every chambering.
New on the gun store rack Remington 700 LVSF in 7mm08. I passed on it because the same thing in 308 was on sale right next to it. I should have bit the bullet and gone home with both.
2018 Shot Show Browning long range left hand 6.5 CM At SAS’s shop. Handled it three times. But passed. Have never seen another one like it.
There have been a few, but the one I still think about occasionally was pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester .375 H&H I could have purchased for $375 around 1975. Simply could not come up with the money then, as $375 in 1975 is equivalent to around $2000 today, and I was young and a $200 rifle was about all I could afford, and not often.

Haven't passed up on many for a while now. This is the latest, a Griffin & Howe Springfield made in the early 1930s. Have wanted a G&H Springfield for a long time, but all I ran across had pretty plain wood. This one doesn't.

[Linked Image]
Not buying all of the SS Mountain Guide rifles @ the local Gander when they closed them out for $449. I got a 7-08 for myself but left several 243’s and maybe one 22-250.
List is too long to type out, needless to say there have been a few
The only shotgun I truly wanted was never available to me.

I wanted Burton Spiller's 20 gauge Parker gifted to him by Gorham Cross IIRC written about so wonderfully by William Tapply. When I heard the gun had sold at auction I rued not having researched its whereabouts and obtaining the wall of money to outbid the competition.

Thought it might be fun to have Spiller's little 20 laying across my lap blanket as I read Evans, Spiller, and Granpa Grouse whilst sipping a little amber liquid with a splash of water.

I regret my misspent youth. Cheers to whoever owns it!
I left a Mauser in 8x68S in a gun store once. Asking price was $275. Went back later that day to grab it and some guy was doing the paperwork on it when I walked in. Passed on a Husqvarna in 9.3x57 once on a road trip and the asking price for that was less than $200. Passed on a Darne 12 Ga with the sliding breech once. Should have grabbed all 3.
Walking a small local gun show, I spied what was obviously a 700 ks. It had a West German Ziess 3x9 scope.
I looked at the tag of 950.00. The caliber was 7 mag. At the time I had 3.
Asked the dealer the back story on rifle. Now I know you hear all kinds of tales. He was pretty green. Told me he was selling for a widow, whose husband had recently passed away.
Believing what he told me, I told him what he had and at the time the scope alone was worth at least half of his asking price.
Never saw a tag removed from a trigger guard so quickly and a rifle removed from the table. Hasbeen
A Paul Jaeger / Dietrich Apel customized Sako in .270 with a really beautiful stock for what was basically a steal, and in great condition, too. Thought it over a little too long.
Smith and Wesson Model 18 with a King Sight for $500.
In 1965 my old gun guy neighbor offered me his mint condition pre-war M70 .30-06 for $125. and I bought a push feed ‘65 M70 instead for that same $125.00. Later I thought that I might like a Dakota M10, but had never even seen one. I went into a gun shop and they had two of them on the used rack. A.250-3000 and a .270. I’ve put a moratorium on selling anything because history has shown that I could be the poster boy for buy high and sell low.
FN Hi Power for $389
Consignment original Ithaca, NY Parker DHE 16ga on #1 frame w/28" barrels. One ejector didn't work but other than that "really NICE". My friend was looking for a Parker 16ga so I called him up and sent photos. Price tag was $3999. My friend said to offer $3600 so I did. I wanted to say screw it and me pay the $3999 but I didn't feel right cutting out my friend.
The shop told me they would contact the buyer the next day then call me. I didn't hear from them all day so called late afternoon. Gun was SOLD!

I kick myself for not buying it. I do remind my friend he screwed up because it was a steal and he will NEVER find or buy one for that money again.
A Remington African Plains Rifle from the Remington Custom Shop in 375 H&H. Came with the box of Remington ammo he bought with it....4 rounds remaining unfired. It had the green McMillan stock on it rather than the laminated one and the metal was Parkerized. -Al

Kabuko

I have a never fired like new Biesen p64 M70 270 just like JO’C’s. Interested?

Jeffery 450/400 3” which had been rebuilt and stocked by George Hoenig. Oh the pain.

Oh geez, where do I start..........
Originally Posted by RinB

Jeffery 450/400 3” which had been rebuilt and stocked by George Hoenig. Oh the pain.

Damnit! sick
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by JDK

Yep - any of those would be pretty sweet to own

are early 760's in 35 rem very valuable?. I always thought that the were fairly.common.
I inherited one from my father in law and have only used it to take one deer.
Mauser ES.350B made in Oberndorf in 1937..

I didn't want the hassle of importing it from France.. but I remember it was well within my budget.
I think its the only one I regret..

[Linked Image from dorleac-dorleac.com]

Kabuko

I have a never fired like new Biesen p64 M70 270 just like JO’C’s. Interested?

Aww, jeez. That could be my dream rifle.....

And what was the price? :-)

Most people don't have much use for a .450/400 3"--though I considered buying one or two, back when I was hunting Africa more. Both were Mantons.

Of course, actually using (or imagaining a "need") for a lusted-for rifle isn't always part of the equation....
Valmet 412 .375 Win
Many, but the ones that stick in my mind are:

1) Post war(?1948) FN commercial mauser in 6.5 x 57 with some engraving built for an Army Captain with the original order and receipt paperwork. $275 at the Davison Gun Show by the original owner. Perhaps my worst walkaway mistake.

2) Ruger No. 1 in .270 at Ebels shortly after they opened the new shop. $700 IIRC. I thought it was a lot of money but had not priced No. 1s recently. Not there the next time I stopped by.

3) Ruger No. 1 in .223. Varmint weight Lilja SS barrel. Being held by a dealer at the Midland Gun Show while the owner browsed elsewhere. I waited a half hour and had to leave for family obligation.

4) Ruger M77 tang safety in 7 x 57 at LGS. Clerk called me because he thought I would like it. Reasonable price but I didn't have the cash. Never occurred to me to pull out the plastic. Decades later I obtained one at the Novi show in a 3 way trade that involved a M700 6.5 x 55, some nice knives, and something else...cannot remember. At the same show there was a Czech version of the G33/40.....seller did not know what it was. But only in fair condition and I wasn't sure it would clean up, especially below the stock line.

John,
$20,000 was the price. Same story as you with that 375 H&H.
Rick
Remington Mountain Rifle in blued walnut chambered for .257 Roberts. Back in those days I thought I wouldn't own more than one rifle in each chambering, so passed it up as I already had a Roberts.

I've never seen another in almost 25 years.
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Too many to list!

Same here, RJ
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Walking a small local gun show, I spied what was obviously a 700 ks. It had a West German Ziess 3x9 scope.
I looked at the tag of 950.00. The caliber was 7 mag. At the time I had 3.
Asked the dealer the back story on rifle. Now I know you hear all kinds of tales. He was pretty green. Told me he was selling for a widow, whose husband had recently passed away.
Believing what he told me, I told him what he had and at the time the scope alone was worth at least half of his asking price.
Never saw a tag removed from a trigger guard so quickly and a rifle removed from the table. Hasbeen

Oh, you're one of those people. At least it helped a widow.
A guy standing in front of me was looking at a delightful Mannlicher double trigger Sporter in 6.5 for only $250. I was eagerly waiting for him to move off of it when instead the jackass told the Shop owner that it was worth a lot more than $250 and the Shop owner removed the price tag.
Not exactly a gun, but at the Harrisburg, PA show back in the 80's a fella had a complete, and I mean complete, Armorer's Chest for the M1903 Springfield, circa 1920's. Everything was there - all the tools, gauges, and spare parts, in a chest about half the size of a coffin. The price tag was $1000 as I recall and I didn't have that much folding money in my pocket. After thinking about it (obsessing on it) as I continued on down the aisles, I decided to go back and see if he'd take a check, installments, title to my car, left nut, anything, etc. Sure enough, a new owner was loading it onto a dolly...
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I forgot about the Ithaca 37's. I dreamed of a20 gauge back then.

I picked up a 1924 Remington model 17 20ga, the precurser to the 37 a few months back.
Originally Posted by Elvis
Remington Mountain Rifle in blued walnut chambered for .257 Roberts. Back in those days I thought I wouldn't own more than one rifle in each chambering, so passed it up as I already had a Roberts.

I've never seen another in almost 25 years.

There was one in the classifieds a few months back, 1200 if I'm not mistaken. Went quick.

I've always wanted a 257bob.

I've picked up a couple wood/blued mountains lately for really good prices locally, they thought they were the plain jane bdl. One was a 280 with leupold vx2 for 550. No brainer.
A Marlin 1894 41 mag. for $300.00 in a pawn shop back in the 90's
.303 Brit double rifle around 1998.

Wasn't yet into doubles and had no idea how rare it was. Actually found the seller a decade later and asked about it but it was long gone by that point.

Honorable mentions...

Sold a HK P7 when they were going around $500, now they look to be $3000+

Would have loved one of the used McMillan M40 stocks from the USMC but those shot up before I could find one.
A couple of years ago I was perusing the used shotgun rack at the local Scheel's. Found a very lightly used Benelli 20ga. Montefeltro priced reasonably. Perfect wood, metal was 99% and fit like a glove. Set it down and walked thru the store a while making my way back to the rack 2 or 3 times. ALMOST pulled the trigger and was going to put it on the credit card. Decided to wait until the next day and come back with the cash and of course, it was gone! F$%K! I knew that was gonna happen! Took a week or so to get over that dumb decision.

Elk Country

One can’t buy everything
Savage 99 octagon barrel in 30-30

Rem 760 in 35 Whelen

The most painful one and not really my fault, Searcy double rifle in 375 flanged. Local shop had that and several other doubles as part of an estate they were asked to consign. Asked shop owner the pricing and he said he needed time to research value and pricing. A friend and I left numbers for him to contact and he said we had the first right of refusal and would call us when he was ready.

A couple months go by and he still hasn’t priced them. I contacted Searcy and gave him the info on the rifle. He said in good condition it should start at $5400. Meantime, there was a fire at the shop but an employee said the rifles and our numbers survived the fire. We made sure to check that out.

A few weeks later heard from a UPS driver that all the doubles sold. Not having received a call I contacted the owner and he said our numbers were lost in the fire. He told me he sold the Searcy for $1900 and the Army Navy 470 nitro my friend wanted for $8000. My only shot at owning a nice double came and went.

JM
Countless beautiful Damascus shotguns sitting on store shelves when I was a kid for extremely low prices. Getting dumped as they could not handle modern loads. Those were the days though where I was earning about 75 cents an hour. It one even sees such today it fetches top collector dollars.
Back in the early 1990s a local (but high volume) sporting goods had Russian laminated stock SKSs for $69.99. Had cases of them. The ones I saw were either as new or very close. Neighbor told me I should buy some even if I had to take a second mortgage. Said buy all I could. I just didn’t see anything there worth having so passed. Dang.
Ruger #1 in 45-70. I had just bought a #1 in 35 Whelen. I got talked out of it by a couple of people here. Ended up buying a left handed Win M70 in 270. We figured, what the hell am I ever gonna shoot with a 45-70? Up until recently we had to use a shotgun in my county. Last year they made it legal to use straight wall rifle cartridges for deer. I sure wish I had that 45-70 now.
$1200 ULA 308 Winchester.
Young, newly married, just making ends meet - came upon a Winchester model 64 Deluxe rifle, $600. It was immaculate. I really did try to come up with $600, but we just didn’t have it. I wish now I had just called my Dad and said, “I need $600, I’ll pay you back when I can” and bought that rifle. I guess I was just too proud to do that. I’d sure like to have that one to do over.
At a show, early 2,000's, I was in the market for a Rem 700 .22-250. Checking a table a guy walks up with his departed dads Dirty Harry S&W 29 and the partial box of cartridges. Does the deal with the vendor.
$500. I didn't know the value of that gun so I just stood there watching, but my spidey senses were telling me that $500 was a steal.

There were only 3 rds. out the box. Gun was really, really nice. It also came with box, papers, etc. Should have listened to my spidey's.
A 3-gun set of Sakos; 26” .375 H&H, 24” .30-06, and 20” full-stocked .308 for $2,200. Pristine 2” S&W M10 for $350.

You HAD to bring those up.
Mid 90’s I walked away from a Dakota in 270. It was freaking beautiful. Was buddies with the shop owner and he even offered it at a price I’m embarrassed to mention.

I was 19 or 20 and about flat broke. Still, I shoulda swung it.
Ended up buying a Springfield 45 that may be the biggest POS I’ve ever bought. That only adds to the regret. Lol.

Traded it in on a Security Six 357 that was great. Like a dummy, I sold it😳
A couple decades ago I should have loaded up on the $79 norinco SKS type 56 carbines.
At my LGS I could have taken an original Rigby in .416 from the hands of a proffesional hunter for the price of the new Brno in .458 he wanted.

KYNOCH, the only ammo maker producing cartridges for the .416 had closed their facilities some time before and he could not find one single cartridge at that time.

But what would I do with such a gun, stupid of me thought!!
Pre-64 Model 70 in .358 Winchester for $799. Went back after sleeping on it and guy ahead of me bought it.
I was about 22 years old, just a young fella. The seller had two nice Smith & Wesson revolvers, A model 29 with a 6.5- inch barrel (44 Mag) and a Smith & Wesson model 57 with a 6-inch barrel (41 mag) Well I bought the 44 Not sure why? The 41 mag. had a really nice action job, it was really nice. I still wish I had bought the 41 mag.
Crazy stuff you do.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
A couple decades ago I should have loaded up on the $79 norinco SKS type 56 carbines.

Me too. I did buy one, and it was really quite accurate, and had a decent trigger for what it was. Milled metal. Did sell it eventually.
Several years back I saw a Marlin in 375 Win at a gun show and passed on it. It was $500, so really kicking myself in hindsight.
About 50 yrs ago this fall, a guy I went to school with needed some $$.
Came to me with an 1886 Winchester in a walnut case felt lined with
a cleaning rod, brushes an oil can and bullet moulds.Stock was xxx
walnut, action all factory engraved. Caliber was 40-82. Gun was
custom made at factory for his uncle who had passed and left it to
him. I had recently got a new 270 and wasn't interested in a gun
that had a trajectory like a big rock. He went to a gun dealer who
gave him $600 for it. Oh the LITTLE screw ups in life, eh?
Plenty of guns I should have bought. 2 that stand out were a push feed mod 70 7x57 and a Browning upland O/U 20 ga. They were cheap enough at the time, but I was pretty broke up until not too many years ago. That plus the fact that todays dollars are NOT what 90’s dollars were.

But I still shoulda bought the .45 Colt mountain gun for $800 back in 2018……😢
The one that hurts the most was an original Automag in .41 JMP that I came across at a little shop just at closing time. I fondled it and while it was a great price, I was newly married and not making a lot of money so I walked out without it. On the way home I kept thinking about it and called my wife and got her advice since it was a big purchase for us and she said go ahead and get it. The shop was closed when I called them but they said they would hold it for me until I get off work the next day. Well I got a call from them the next morning at work that was work related. I worked at the Police department. They had a burglary over night and a bunch of handguns were stolen and the Automag was one of them. That one hurt bad
Way too many to account for, and I bought a lot over the years!
was in Jensen's Custom Ammo in Tucson in the early 1980's.

In the used gun racks, there was a model 94 winchester carbine, marked SEARS, rebarreled to .25-35

I think they wanted $105 for it.

It wasn't there the next week.
Too easy: Ruger number ! 458 Win, Berretta single stack 380 Engraved from prior to WW 2. two colt 36 snubbies sequential serial numbers, S&W 38 squeeze cocker snubbie new in the box,.
Back 2005 was at a local gun show and came across as NIB Remington 700 VSSF II-220 Swift. Guy wanted $900. Rung my hands for the next hour or so as I walked the aisles. Ultimately, I talked myself out of it. Biggest regret ever when it comes to gun purchases. The price those things are going for now(if you can find one) is 3-4x than 2005. What a dummy!!! I'm getting pissed again just writing about it.
Buddy of mine had a Ruger 77 tang in 338winmag. He bought it back in the late 90’s for $400 at a gun show. The stock cracked on it. He contacted Ruger and a long story short he got a new stock for it. The stock was some of the nicest wood I’ve ever seen on a Ruger. I could have bought it a couple years ago for $600 and I passed. Long gone now.
I should have bought the Fieldcraft 7mm-08 that I checked out a couple years ago, but I really didn't care for how it felt. Could have made a few $'s on it. I much prefer Montana's.
A M-1910 Ross sporter for a $100 . I thought I may run across another. I already had a P-14. So who needs two 303 sporters.
Thought I could wait a couple of weeks on a ruger blackhawk convertible in 10mm. Shouldn't have. Gone by the time I got back to it. Most of my regrets are the guns I sold or traded.
The most recent idiocy on my part:

2017 right after MN firearms deer. St. Cloud Scheels. Nice Glenfield Model 30A in the used rack for $299.99. I had it in my hands and set it down. What a dope.
too many to count
45 years ago a Sako FInnwolf pair , 243 and 308 for 750 total. At that time 750 dollars to me was just too much.
Argentine FM Hi Power Detective.
At a gun show about 20 years ago....a Remington 40X in .222, NIB for $600. A dealer a few tables from me had traded for it right at the end of the show. Unfortunately being the end of the show I had already spent all the gun buying money I had, on less desirable stuff of course. Had to walk. Another was a Marlin Mountie in trapper configuration, also at a gun show. Looked at it, liked it, but wasn't sure what is was. By the time I figured it out and went back to get it was gone. $300. These are two I always remember.
A custom 6mm rem 700 in McMillan a guy built for sniper matches and sold before he really used it for 1 grand.

Rem 700 .222 sporters (looking for 1 now)

Browning bar .22 I bought for a song and sold for 2 songs.
I have walked away from more than one butt kicker, but the one that hurts the most was not exactly a walk away. Growing up my step grandfather had a SAKO RIIHIMAKI L46 in 222. He and I would go coyote hunting together in his ford ranchero. when I got my drivers license at 14 he let take it and hunt coyotes with it. When I was done I would clean it and take it back to him. He always told me that when he died I would get that gun. Fast forward to my senior year in high school and he was diagnosed with lung cancer. During my first year of college I would come home every other weekend to see him in the hospital. In the spring he passed away and after the funeral my grandmother told me that I had better go up and get that rifle and to take his gun case that all of his guns were in. I had finals so I told her I would get it next trip down. So when I went home I stopped by my Grandmothers and told her I was there to pickup my gun and gun case, she told me that my step uncle had come and took all the guns and gun case with him. She said that she requested he leave the 222 but he responded that I did not deserve it as I was not blood. My Grandfather had been married to my grandmother since my mom was a soph. in high school and he was the only grandfather I had. Both of my real grandfathers were killed in separate farming accidents.

So I went to my uncles and explained to him that grandfather wanted me to have the Sako and he gave me the same response as he did to my grandmother that I did not deserve it because I was not blood. So fast forward 45 years and I run into my cousin and in conversation I ask him if he would be willing to let me have the Sako that was Grandfathers. He did not even know what I was talking about. He said he had never seen any of Grandfathers rifles. He said he would go to his mom's and get in the safe and see if he could find it. The next day I get a text from him with the pictures of the Sako asking if that is the rifle which I confirmed. About an hour later I get a text asking me if I know know the value of the gun which I said yes, but I want it for other reasons. Now my cousin lives extremely comfortable and does not shoot guns very often if ever anymore, but his response to me was no he would hang onto it because it is a family heirloom and I am not family. Timing is everything.
Ruger 77 Varmint in 6.5 BR, this was back during the late 90's. It had the laminated light brown stock. The barrel looked exactly the same as the factory Ruger stainless. Just didn't feel like doing the brass work.
In high school, I was at a local hardware store and they had a new Winchester 61 in .22 WMR. Man, I wanted that gun, but it cost $125 and I couldn't come up with that much money.

Price one today....

DF
When I was active at Ft Carson years ago I went to a local gun show and spied a custom Mauser rifle. Great clean stockwork and just a great all around rifle in an old classic style. $450, and by the time I was able to get the cash, it was gone. Years later I read the Petrov books and learned that an excellent custom stock maker named Minar lived in Co Springs, and the rifle I saw was a dead ringer for the few examples in the book….would have been a wonderful rifle to have and study, not to mention use.
I got a few most regrettable being a stainless LH winchester mod 70 in 300 win mag for a very good price.i also passed with intention of hopefully going back for a jap 8mm Nambu just kinda thought was a cool little piece.and back in the day passed on some python's and anaconda's if i could go back for those i could finance another rifle build
I just walked away from a really nice Marlin 336SC "waffle top" in .35 Rem. for $700. Might regret that someday
Swedish AG42b Ljungman 6.5x55
A Coltsman Sako for $350 in the 90's.
A Sako in 223, same.

A S&W M-15 about 2007 for $125.
PD trade, it had been then stolen and used in a home invasion in Baltimore.
The returned to the LGS it was stolen from. Scratched a bit, wore,
perfect mechanical, bore. A user's dream. Stupid.

The biggest mistake investment wise though.

Remember those crates of SKs, and AKs at the shows in the late 80s
early 90s? I was buying the occasional nice user Sako for $500.
That would have bought a case of Skis. Or several AKs.
The spam can cases of ammo for them? Can't remember, but it was cheap.

If my Sako money would have been spent on that "junk", I could trade them
for a lot more SAKOs today.

Who,
In the Hell
Would have ever imagined that!
NAGW, but
Back in the late 70’s or early 80’s I frequented Harry & Joe’s gun shop in Philpot, Ky. quite often. That’s where I bought my first Redhawk and a Roy’s Hidden Thunder holster to carry it (which I still use). They had a good selection of handguns and rifles to browse through, and I did a lot of browsing, especially at a Browning M92 lever action in 44 magnum to compliment my new Redhawk. That rifle was on the rack for several months for, IIRC, $450. It had beautiful wood and bluing, and called out to me on every visit. When I finally decided it was time to buy, it was gone with no more available. Still a regret to this day………….. Oh, did I mention that they also had the first stainless Colt Python that I ever saw?
Winchester M70 Featherweight in 280 Rem, made before they went to the FN plant.
I should have walked away more often than I did🥴

They only one that really sticks in my mind was a deluxe 1873 Winchester in .38-40 that a guy wanted to sell me but the $$ amount was just too much for me at the time. I had a few friends that could afford it and one bought it. That was/is a cool gun and I keep after my friend on this one……so maybe I’ll still have a chance not to walk??!!

PennDog
M71 Winchester.

I answered an ad in the paper that read, "hunting rifles for sale". The gentleman had a Pre64 FW in 308 and an M71 - I could not afford both. Took the featherweight. Both were a bargain....
Remington 600 in a 6.5 for $600
"I should have walked away more often than I did🥴"

Ain't that the truth!
My problem is impulse buying.
Boxcarman: Yes!
In my 60+ years of gun buying/gun trading I have done that at least 1,000 (one thousand!) times.
So many guns - so little time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Teeder

Ain't that the truth!

Used to be my problem. Not anymore
Another one was one that I should have grabbed was at LL Bean’s store . They had a mint H&K 630 in a 223 for $400

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922390742
Several years ago I passed on a mint condition HK P7 for $600.
Originally Posted by zcm82
Several years back I saw a Marlin in 375 Win at a gun show and passed on it. It was $500, so really kicking myself in hindsight.

[quote=zcm82]Several years back I saw a Marlin in 375 Win at a gun show and passed on it. It was $500, so really kicking myself in hindsight
Had a friend of mine who is now dead and gone help nudge me into buying the same marlin 375 It was on a table at a show $400 with 4 boxes of ammo He told me the way you are looking at that if you don’t buy it you WILL regret it Steve has been gone 18 years now I still have the marlin and those same 4 boxes of ammo Never forgot him pushing me into getting What are friends for Steve Thank you again I still miss you buddy
Probably 20 years ago I did it twice in one day...........

Two buddies and I picked up my uncle and did about a 450 mile gunshop roadtrip one day. We ended up in central PA. At Shuman's, I almost had a spotless Weatherby Athena Grade III 20 gauge to the register and I put it back. I believe the tag was $850. Today they're north of $2k. Then at the Walking Quail, they had a, likewise, spotless A-Bolt Medallion .375 H&H for very good money. Again.......... I left without it.
A boatload of JM stamped Marlins to resell in todays market.
About 20 years ago, I picked up a Marlin 336A 30-30 waffle top with either (can't remember for sure) a Redfield or Lyman receiver sight. It was all original, untapped and VG+ condition. Price was $179.00. Even back then that was a good price. For some ignorant reason I put it back on the shelf. About a week later a co-worker was talking about a 30-30 he almost bought. It was the same gun. When we run into each at retirement get togethers, we always bring that gun up.

There has been others, but that one always stands out in memory.
Originally Posted by Nailbender59
Winchester M70 Featherweight in 280 Rem, made before they went to the FN plant.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924180902
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Two buddies and I picked up my uncle and did about a 450 mile gunshop roadtrip one day. We ended up in central PA. At Shuman's, I almost had a spotless Weatherby Athena Grade III 20 gauge to the register and I put it back. I believe the tag was $850. Today they're north of $2k. Then at the Walking Quail, they had a, likewise, spotless A-Bolt Medallion .375 H&H for very good money. Again.......... I left without it.

Damn, that one even hurts me. I love my old SKB made Weatherby Orion in 12 gauge. Bought from a fellow Tennessean who had it listed here years ago. We met at a gas station/truck stop as he was driving through town.
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Another one was one that I should have grabbed was at LL Bean’s store . They had a mint H&K 630 in a 223 for $400

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922390742

That is an goofy assed rifle IMO. Why are they worth so much? I know it's an H&K so they are expensive, but damn - do they shoot that good? I do like that QD scope feature, excellent German engineering there.
LGS a few years back had on consignment two Ruger NO 1s. 45-70 and 7x57. $750 each was the asking price. Stupid!!!!!
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Damn, that one even hurts me. I love my old SKB made Weatherby Orion in 12 gauge. Bought from a fellow Tennessean who had it listed here years ago. We met at a gas station/truck stop as he was driving through town.

Trust me................ "Athena 20" is one of my saved searches on GunBroker to this day. But at current money, I'm likely to just run to the end of my chain and bark forever.
Easy peasy. A new gunshop opened up nearby. 20 miles from where I lived. He had some beautiful remington mountain rifles chambered in 270 and 280 and one in 30-06. He wanted $350 each. I should have bought them all and said nothing, but told him that they were worth much more than that. He was ignorant and I was stupid for not buying them, but I don't like 700's.. . Damn...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Easy peasy. A new gunshop opened up nearby. 20 miles from where I lived. He had some beautiful remington mountain rifles chambered in 270 and 280 and one in 30-06. He wanted $350 each. I should have bought them all and said nothing, but told him that they were worth much more than that. He was ignorant and I was stupid for not buying them, but I don't like 700's.. . Damn...

You're one of those guys too I see. I don't want it so screw the next guy
Haha
Any 1st generation Colt SAA when they could be had for $800-$900.
Couldnt afford it then, but wish I could have.
[u][/u][b][/b]
Originally Posted by Northman
Mauser ES.350B made in Oberndorf in 1937..

I didn't want the hassle of importing it from France.. but I remember it was well within my budget.
I think its the only one I regret..

[Linked Image from dorleac-dorleac.com]

#15653990 01/14/21
Online Content
Northman
Campfire Ranger
N
At least 3 GOP House members has been implicated in helping the Terroists who attacked last week.

One was even tweeting where other House and Senate members where hiding.... so the terrorists could find them.
Sure have but there are some I should have walked and not grabbed also.
A Winchester 21 16 gauge 26" skeet/skeet. Amazing wood. Just couldn't at the time pull the trigger. Pun intended.
First year of college I walked into a gun shop just to kill time. After speaking with the owner found out he would do layaway. I put a
25-06 Remington BDL on layaway. It was my most wanted. He ordered it the next day. After 6 weeks I had paid it off and he had not been able to find one with his distributors. A few weeks later still no go. After getting impatient I told him to get whatever he could. A .270 Win promptly arrived. Over the years I have acquired multiple 25 chamberings and even a 25-06 but in a Ruger. Still don’t own that BDL. Sometimes I think back and wander if the wonder lust in rifles would have been prevented if I had waited for my dream rifle to show up.
GreggH

I really regret not buying one of several Marlin 39A’s that I thought were just a bit too expensive at the time (~$250 — $300!) and I also regret not buying one of the Springfield ‘O3s or 03A3s from the CMP when they had a huge bunch of them for sale a while back (8 — 10 years?). 😖
Remington Model Seven XCR
In a gun shop about 50 miles from the house I grew up in there was a Rem 700 mountain rifle in 7x57…. Decades later I still wonder what if….

Then there was a Ruger#1 in 218

And a sako bull barrel 222mag…

I think the 7x57 hurts the most though.
1. I should have picked up a couple of LH Weatherby Classicmarks when the wholesalers were dumping them in the early '90's.

2. I bought two LH Sako AV Classics in 1995. Wished I'd kept those and bought a couple more.
Grice gun shop Clearfield, Pennsylvania in 1998, I held in my hands a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless 270 Weatherby Magnum, If I recall correctly , the price was $649 or $699. At the time, that kind of money was hard to come by , they even offered me layaway and I walked away.
A Ruger M77 RSI in .250 Savage for $500 in 2010.
There's been alot more that I did grab that I had absolutely no need for buying and later turned around and sold when I came to my senses.
Got a couple of those right now.
Every Gun Show.
Originally Posted by vixen
Every Gun Show.

Going to another one tomorrow! grin
All of those cheep close out Ruger Hawkeyes and Marlins! I'd be rich now.
There's been alot more that I did grab that I had absolutely no need for buying and later turned around and sold when I came to my senses.
Got a couple of those right now.

I’ve got a couple of those myself. I have a Savage 99 .243 I searched high and low for, and finally found one, but the previous owner cerakoted it. I absolutely hate the trigger in that thing, and it’s not worth much after the cerakote job either.
Manton Double in 405 WCF for five grand...
Back I 1995 I was in a small town and was offered a matched pair consecutively seria numbered unfired set of Long branch numbet 4 mk 1 s for 500. Dollars. They also had beautiful dark walnut. I like the stupid fool I often am turned the deal down. They would be worth at least 3000 today. I also have a list of other stupid deals I have missed because I am to slow to pull the trigger.
Originally Posted by moosemike

Ain't that the truth!

Used to be my problem. Not anymore

Really not a problem for me as I’d rather keep my $$ in guns that anything else😁

PennDog
I certainly wish that I'd bought new Remington 7600s in .270 Winchester and .35 Whelen
Originally Posted by hunting1

That's what I was thinking. Those Ultralight Hawkeyes at CDNN were crazy good deals.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by hunting1

That's what I was thinking. Those Ultralight Hawkeyes at CDNN were crazy good deals.

Aren't you the one who can't get a damn Ruger to run right?
Remington 700 BDL's in 350 mag, 35 Whelen, 8mm mag.
I have them in the Classic series but miss the glossy finish. Just my thing.
Jimmy's gun and chainsaw shop. New Sweden Maine. 1989 a new Colt Sauer African in 458 win, $1200, drool. Not on E5 pay.
It was some years ago, but I was offered a pristine Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win for $550. He was also throwing in a box of shells. Like a dummy, I passed on the deal.
Walked into Gun City in Nashville one day in the mid 80's and they had three long racks filled on both sides with double barreled shotguns . Not junk , the good guns , all in excellent condition but not the engraved hiigh grade versions . A collector had died and they had his stuff on consignment and 90% of them were priced at $250.00 with the rest in the $350.00 range . I should have counted and gone to the bank and got the money to buy the whole lot but didn't . I did buy a near mint LC Smith 20 gauge with 30" choke bored barrels for the $250.00 I had in my pocket at the time . I came back a few days later to buy the rest and somebody had beat me to it .Should have paid somebody to stomp my ass for being that stupid. That's the day I applied for my first high limit credit card , been ruined every since.
Cz 550 in 9.3x62 with beautiful wood.
Went to hit buy after 5 minutes of fighting with my self. Missed it.
Plus it was only $600. FML

Pains me to say this. Nearly pristine Winchester M70 Westerner, for $800 at a gun show. Probably 20 years ago now, but about $900 out of my price range in those days. I've never seen one as clean, nor as cheap since.....

Kaiser Norton
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

Pains me to say this. Nearly pristine Winchester M70 Westerner, for $800 at a gun show. Probably 20 years ago now, but about $900 out of my price range in those days. I've never seen one as clean, nor as cheap since.....

Kaiser Norton

That would have been a steal!

I bought a Westerner about that time that was well-used about that time for $600, and thought it was worth the price. It shot very well.....
Just today, a 3" RB M65 Smith. I am heading back in the morning.
Last week, Worland Gun Show, NIB Ruger #1 (S) 300 H&H.

Still kicking myself.
Ruger 77 RSI in .308 at a store in Wells River, VT about 10 years ago. They were asking $800 for it which was steep, and I should have pounced, but didn't. It was gone the next day....
A Ruger 77 RSI stainless I don’t remember if it was stamped 275 Rigby or 7x57, either way same thing. I can’t think of a handier feeling rifle plus I like the wood/stainless combo plus the factory open sights.
Every sub $100 Nylon 66 I ever walked by. mad
When CDN Sports was dumping discontinued Ruger stainless syn 338 RSM's for $499 or when discontinued Remington 700's in 35 Whelen could be had for under $500 and I didnt bite..

But worst was at a gun show in Glendale CA, at the time I had not heard of a 358 Winchester and walked away from one in a nice Savage 99 for $575
An original AUG when they first came out. I handled it and it felt "natural" bringing it up. It was $800 back when Colt ARs were 600.
Originally Posted by old_willys
When CDN Sports was dumping discontinued Ruger stainless syn 338 RSM's for $499 or when discontinued Remington 700's in 35 Whelen could be had for under $500 and I didnt bite..

But worst was at a gun show in Glendale CA, at the time I had not heard of a 358 Winchester and walked away from one in a nice Savage 99 for $575

The CDNN closeout FN PBR/SPR/Winchester M70 short 308Win barreled actions with the old-style open trigger for $400 look like quite the bargain right about now. I bought 1, should've bought 10.
There was one of these NWTF 270 WSMs for sale here in classifieds for 700.00 a couple of years ago, could have doubled my money now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1991 Winchester Model 70 Super grade in 30-06 750.00. I just didn't have the money. The walnut on that rifle still haunts me. It had the kind of grain and figure you see on 5000.00 custom guns.
SKS back when you could purchase nearly a crate full for the cost of one today.
I have the reverse problem, that is regretting selling some guns. Examples would be Kimber custom classic in 22H, custom Sako in 20 VT, Sako A1 in 222, and 223, grade III citori in 16 ga, and many more.
One regret would be not buying a boxcar full of M1 carbines 25 years ago, for resale these days.
So you walk into a gun store and the only used bolt rifle on the shelf is a Weatherby Mark V in 340, synthetic stock, leupold VX2 3-9x40 on top. Looks barely used, but used. $725. Walk away or walk out with it?
Cherry XP100 Fireball, 400.
8 inch Ruger Mark 1 custom upper, 350.
Push feed mod 70 7x57 for $280 back in ‘99.
Red pad #1 .375 for $1,200 back in ‘18
Very nicely done ‘03 sporter for $200 back in ‘98

I’d have missed some meals if I’d have bought every gun I wanted, but those are the 3 that hurt the most.
I recently returned to one of the LGS's having decided I really did need the Ruger 1S in 9.3 X 62, appropriately scoped (don't remember specifically what scope, but remember it was appropriate), 5 boxes of factory ammo (again, don't remember the brand, but remember it was good stuff) and reloading dies that was on consignment with an $1100 asking price. It had only had a few rounds (from one of the boxes) fired through it. It looked brand new. Of course, it was gone when I returned. Just as well. I'm saving up for a new sporting clays gun I know I will use.
If you are a recoil junkie you will LOVE it.
A recent thread reminded me of a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 7mm08 that I didn't buy.
Originally Posted by jaksny
So you walk into a gun store and the only used bolt rifle on the shelf is a Weatherby Mark V in 340, synthetic stock, leupold VX2 3-9x40 on top. Looks barely used, but used. $725. Walk away or walk out with it?

How much 340 ammo or 300/340/375 brass do you have feretted away ?
If you have 340 Ammo, why didn’t you learn your lesson ?

Of course the MkV accompanies, for that price, get a Wby case and sling !
Ruger Stainless Laminated 338 RCM with sights , kept thinking ammo / brass
A tang safety Ruger M77 in 7x57 for $325. At that point in time I had never heard of the 7x57.

Since that time, I have had 7-08, 280, 7 SAUM, and 7 Rem Mag.

I have often lamented, if I had bought that rifle, I could have saved myself some money.
I have never walked away from a good gun at a good price. I define good price as 20% off retail if I need it, 50% off retail if I dont need it but want it, and 70% off retail if I dont need it and dont want it, but can flip it for twice what I paid. I have walked away from dozens of guns I like and want but dont need at retail prices. Of course, my paradigm fails when it comes to 5 figure and up guns. Cant afford them to begin with.
I missed a barely used WBY UL in .240 that a buddy grabbed when I said no at a steal of a deal. I setup the rifle for him with glass and a custom load and it shoots lights out. He has let me hunt with it a few times and I really enjoy it. I kick myself for passing on it and will get one at some point.
Just recently at Guns Galore.....30-06 Husqvarna with commercial large ring action for $399. Thinking what would I do with another 30-06?

Went back a week later and it was gone.

Last year a Ruger M77 stainless .338 WM in a boat paddle stock. Don't recall the price but it was within my trading/purchasing power.
Too many. Way too many to list.
A 77 RSI in 270 for $400, a Rem 721 in 300H&H for $300, and a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm for $500.

Oh well.
All the ak's that used to be 250 bucks and the barrels full of sks's that were 75 bucks..............
© 24hourcampfire