Home
Posted By: TheKid CCI 400s - 03/21/22
Can the CCI 400 be used in standard pressure 223 loads? A buddy ran onto a bunch of primers and bought me a couple bricks. But I just found out they’re 400s. I don’t have anything smaller than a 223 and don’t plan to buy a Hornet. Are they okay if I don’t try to hotrod it?
Posted By: Sniggly Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
Yes.
Posted By: beretzs Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
I wouldn’t have a bit of a worry with them in a 223 myself. I use those, along with the BR4’s quite a lot and have never had a single issue myself.

You also might get someone to swap you for 450’s or similar as well but if 400’s is what you’ve got I’d drive on with them.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
Those are the only thing I ever used in the .223
Posted By: TheKid Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
Good deal, thanks guys. He found a bunch at last year’s prices and grabbed us two bricks apiece. Should keep us in the pig ammo for a little while.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
I've never had a problem with them in bolt guns or ar's.
Posted By: beretzs Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
Good deal, thanks guys. He found a bunch at last year’s prices and grabbed us two bricks apiece. Should keep us in the pig ammo for a little while.

That’s like finding gold in my opinion.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: CCI 400s - 03/21/22
What about WSRs? Same answer or no?
Posted By: Elvis Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
Can the CCI 400 be used in standard pressure 223 loads? A buddy ran onto a bunch of primers and bought me a couple bricks. But I just found out they’re 400s. I don’t have anything smaller than a 223 and don’t plan to buy a Hornet. Are they okay if I don’t try to hotrod it?

That's a really good mate you have there.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
Originally Posted by beretzs

That’s like finding gold in my opinion.

Bingo. I've used 1,000's of CCI400's and BR4's. They are excellent for bolt actions and AR's. Never have had an issue using them. I'd be pretty ecstatic about finding 2 bricks. At last years prices or a couple years ago prices, I would have loaded up a wheel barrow full.. Great score!!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
Originally Posted by BKinSD

I've never had an issue in anything I've run WSRs in. My pet load for 222 Rem uses WSR primers.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
CCI400 are all I use in my .223s.

P
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
Is this a trick question?
Posted By: TheKid Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
No I looked and the cup thickness was the same as the Rem 6 1/2 and they’re for low pressure loads as I understand it. I had a slight worry that they weren’t a good match for AR loads.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: CCI 400s - 03/22/22
Let the dead hogs tell you they ain't worth a fug.
Posted By: ldholton Re: CCI 400s - 03/24/22
Cases that utilize small rifle primers and operate at moderate pressures(40,000 psi) should use CCI 400, Federal 200, Rem 6 1/2, or Win SR. Such cases include 22 CCM, 22 Hornet and the 218 Bee. These primers are also used in heavy handguns such as the 9mm., 357, etc. Other cases that use the small rifle primer can use the above primers only if moderate loads are used. Keep to the lower end of reloading recommendations.

- Cases that utilize Small Rifle primers and operate at higher pressures (55,000 psi) should use CCI 450, CCI BR4, Fed 205 and Rem 7 1/2.

Above is copied right of James Calhoun's primer experiment write up . I have used 400s and 556 bolts and ARs and also 204s and I have pierced some . I started digging for information to come up with this not trying to start a fight but just interesting reading. I googled "CCI 400 pressure" it was down there not very far the whole article.
I would also add I have heard way more than once CCI 400s small rifle and CCI 550 small pistol magnums are the same primers in different packaging all of Calhoun's findings above are correct that would be very possible
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: CCI 400s - 03/24/22
Just me- I don't use magnum primers in anything I
load. The only failure I've ever had was with factory
loaded Winchester white box 44magnum 240gr
soft point. They split up through the primer pocket
and halfway up the case. I was lucky in that I was
using a rifle with a strong barrel and receiver at the
time. No damage to rifle or myself at all.
No problems at all with the same rifle and my own
loads, and no case or primer failures.
A couple of my 223 loads for a single shot rifle are
near max with 400 primers, and I've had no kind of
failure ( so far- It might shuck the very next time)

Good Luck
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
I have noticed flattened primers with the CCI 400 loads which may cause someone to think the load was at or near maximum pressure. Just a little thinner primer cup will easily flatten with standard rifle loads. Eggspurts say some AR guns may cause an accidental detonation with the bolt impacting the more sensitive primer during cycling between shots. Don't know as I've only loaded these in single shot and bolt action rifles. CCI 41's or 450's are supposed to be the primers for AR's. I don't reload ammo for any gun that sprays brass. Seems like too much work having to play pickup.
Posted By: hanco Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
They are all I use, bolt and AR’s
Posted By: grovey Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
As written above CCI 400's aren't intended for use @ 223 pressures, but yes some guys still use them.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
I've used CCI 400's in thousands of 223 loads for both AR15's and bolt rifles. NO ISSUES at all
Posted By: Potsy Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
I’ve read where you’re not supposed to run not only 400’s, but 205’s in an AR as well.
I’ve run a lot of both without incident, but then I run my AR more like a bolt action and I keep my gas pretty well tuned.
It always seemed like a silly proposition for manufactures to even make a thin cupped primer for lower pressure rounds. No one goes around squalling you shouldn’t use Fed 210’s in a .25-06, those are for .45-70’s and .30/40 Krags!
Posted By: TheKid Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
I’d never heard that about 205s in an AR. In fact I’m working on a brick of 205ARs right now in a maroon and black box that say Federal 205M AR15 primers on it. Who knows what manufacturers come up with sometimes. I’m going to use the 400s until or unless they give me any issues but I’m doubtful there’ll be a problem now.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
I’ve been running CCI 400’s in AR’s about 30 years with no problems. Ran them in a Mini-14 for 20 years before that, no problems. Run them in my.223 bolt gun, no problems. Most loads close one side or the other to “book max.”
Posted By: horse1 Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
Originally Posted by BKinSD

I've used WSR's in ~a dozen AR's, about the same number of Min-14's, and a whole host of bolt rifles from Sako, Rem, Win, Kimber, NULA, Mini MK X, CZ 527, Ruger 77's, Wby/Howa 1500's, and probably some I'm forgetting without ever any issue. The vast majority w/55gn soft-points and ball powders. 748, BL-C2, H335, Ramshot Tac, WCC 844 and 846.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: CCI 400s - 03/30/22
FWIW, I emailed this question to CCI last year:

"Are your #400 small rifle primers safe to use in AR type rifles? I know they are safe pressure-wise, but is there danger of accidental discharge when the bolt closes? I know you recommend #450 and #41's and I use them when available, but these have been impossible to obtain for quite some time. Thank you."

I received this in reply:

"There is indeed a higher risk of slamfire with the CCI 400. Although it is very unlikely the risk is still greater there than it is with your other options as you stated."

Interpret that as you wish.
© 24hourcampfire