Home
Posted By: barm Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/27/22
Has anyone tried the sabots made for shooting 22 caliber bullets in your 30 caliber barrel? What were your experiences?
What difference does it make how fast something goes....if it doesn't hit the target? My experience however is limited to less than 20 rds of Remington Accelerator in .30-06.
Years ago, when they first came out (maybe '70's???) my brother got some Remington Accelerators for his .308. As I recall, the results were not very encouraging.
Posted By: memtb Re: Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/27/22

Never tried them, but in reading about them……don’t expect any reasonable accuracy! memtb
Originally Posted by cra1948
Years ago, when they first came out (maybe '70's???) my brother got some Remington Accelerators for his .308. As I recall, the results were not very encouraging.

Seems to have been the general consensus.
I acquired the tools and sabots to try them maybe 20 years ago, but never go to it. My idea wasn’t to make a .308 into a .22/250, but rather to make up some small-game loads at the .22 mag level or so. The commercial loads were all screamers and asked a lot of the plastic sabots IMO. I figger some flat-point Speers over a good cast-bullet powder like 5744 or Trail Boss might work.

Naturally, full-caliber cast-bullet loads or one of the chamber inserts for .32 caliber pistol cartridges can accomplish the same task in a different way.

Still on The List……

I tried some in 30-06 and they were accurate enough to be useful. At over 4,000 FPS they were certainly effective
300 WSM and case full of Superformance with a 50 grain Barnes TSX. My Chrony read 5k.
I shot quite a few in the .307 Winchester and .30-30AI several years ago. We had a good discussion on the old Beartooth Bullets forum.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
After trying a number of powders I came back to Hodgdon 4198.
Best accuracy, sometimes 5 shot groups under 1 3/4" , were when we put the sabot against the origin of the rifling. I used a mild crimp.
I tried lower velocity loads looking for accuracy the problem was each time I ordered sabots they were a bit different in slots depth and material hardness. There were three distinct sabots back then. E Arthur Brown which were hard and required a higher velocity to open up quickly and leave the bullet. There was another gray sabot that looked similar but with longer slots. This was a medium hard material that seemed to work well at velocities under 2,500 fps.
There is a brown sabot that is made of softer material and works well at 2.500 to 2,350 fps. Above 2,800 fps everyone who shared results reported plastic fouling that was hard to remove.

This was a lot of fun but did not amount to much. In the. 30 caliber leverguns it is hard to beat the 130 grain Speer bullet for varmints and light bodied deer
Originally Posted by cra1948

Same here when I bought a M94 30-30. The salesman threw in the two boxes of Accelerators he had on the shelf.
Posted By: barm Re: Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

I tried some in 30-06 and they were accurate enough to be useful. At over 4,000 FPS they were certainly effective

What kind of accuracy did you get with your rifle? Did you have to start with a squeaky clean barrel as suggested by the manufacturer? I wonder if some of the inaccuracies are from fouled barrels and/or rough bores.
Originally Posted by william_iorg
I shot quite a few in the .307 Winchester and .30-30AI several years ago. We had a good discussion on the old Beartooth Bullets forum.
Best accuracy, sometimes 5 shot groups under 1 3/4" , were when we put the sabot against the origin of the rifling. I used a mild crimp.
I tried lower velocity loads looking for accuracy the problem was each time I ordered sabots they were a bit different in slots depth and material hardness. There were three distinct sabots back then. E Arthur Brown which were hard and required a higher velocity to open up quickly and leave the bullet. There was another gray sabot that looked similar but with longer slots. This was a medium hard material that seemed to work well at velocities under 2,500 fps.
There is a brown sabot that is made of softer material and works well at 2.500 to 2,350 fps. Above 2,800 fps everyone who shared results reported plastic fouling that was hard to remove.

This was a lot of fun but did not amount to much. In the. 30 caliber leverguns it is hard to beat the 130 grain Speer bullet for varmints and light bodied deer

Thank you for taking the time to share all of your experience. I recently came across a barely used Remington 700 BDL Varmint chambered in 308 Winchester. The gun shop had it listed for a price which was too good to pass up, so I bought it. I don’t have a need for it, so I saw something about the sabots and thought it sounded interesting to try. The bore on this has barely been shot and it should be a tack driver based on previous experience with other BDL varmints. It has a 1-12” twist and I thought if any gun should be accurate it would be this one.
Originally Posted by william_iorg

My stuff came from Brown. Good info. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I acquired the tools and sabots to try them maybe 20 years ago, but never go to it. My idea wasn’t to make a .308 into a .22/250, but rather to make up some small-game loads at the .22 mag level or so. The commercial loads were all screamers and asked a lot of the plastic sabots IMO. I figger some flat-point Speers over a good cast-bullet powder like 5744 or Trail Boss might work.

Naturally, full-caliber cast-bullet loads or one of the chamber inserts for .32 caliber pistol cartridges can accomplish the same task in a different way.

Still on The List……

If you ever get around to it, I would love to hear how it turned out.
BYW, thank you to everyone who posted.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

Same here when I bought a M94 30-30. The salesman threw in the two boxes of Accelerators he had on the shelf.

I tried a box of those 30-30 accelerators in a Marlin 336 probably close to 20 years ago and the accuracy was somewhere between terrible and non-existent for me, too. The "group" was about the size of a basketball at 100 yards.
Well, my memory is faulty. EAB sabot on the right. Unkowns on the left.
The long slot work reasonably well with the Speer 75 grain flat noseat modest velocities.
Remington sent me some 55-grain .30-06 Accelerator ammo when it was introduced in the late 1970s. In the .30-06 I had then, a Remington 760, they averaged around 1.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Shot plenty of jackrabbits and a few coyotes with them, mostly running but some not.
I've got a couple of boxes of the 30-30 Remington Accelerators on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere. Never shot any of them, just one of those too cheap not to buy things that I keep doing. 'Can't resist a deal on something that I might someday have a use for.
Back in 1981 a guy I worked with had a 30-06 and tried the accelerator load on an antelope. Dead antelope. He was worried he might be breaking the law as at the time 22 centerfires were not legal to use on game in Wyoming.
Originally Posted by rickt300
Back in 1981 a guy I worked with had a 30-06 and tried the accelerator load on an antelope. Dead antelope. He was worried he might be breaking the law as at the time 22 centerfires were not legal to use on game in Wyoming.

Interesting! But probably all he would have had to do was show any game warden his rifle, and the headstamp on the ammo. Though you never know....
Posted By: barm Re: Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Remington sent me some 55-grain .30-06 Accelerator ammo when it was introduced in the late 1970s. In the .30-06 I had then, a Remington 760, they averaged around 1.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Shot plenty of jackrabbits and a few coyotes with them, mostly running but some not.

Mule Deer,
I was going to try it in a barely used Remington 700 BDL Varmint in 308 Winchester. Do you think it would be possible to break 1 MOA with this rifle and bullet/sabot combination?
I and my Model 94 liked the ones for the 30-30.

We bought some sabots to try to make some ourselves and for some reason they didn't shoot like the ready made ones.

Somewhere in my shop i still have several 100 hiding.
I had good experience with the Remington version, .5 at 100. Bought some EABCO version kits that were terrible and then had an idea. Based on what little I knew about lead slugs in rifles, marred bases do not shoot well, flared the case mouths with a punch, loaded and lightly crimped, and that was the secret. I cannot remember what powder was used and all my notes got flamed in a fire.
Posted By: barm Re: Sabots from 30 to 22 caliber - 04/30/22
Originally Posted by JDinCO
I had good experience with the Remington version, .5 at 100. Bought some EABCO version kits that were terrible and then had an idea. Based on what little I knew about lead slugs in rifles, marred bases do not shoot well, flared the case mouths with a punch, loaded and lightly crimped, and that was the secret. I cannot remember what powder was used and all my notes got flamed in a fire.

JDinCO,

What kind of dies where you using? How much neck tension do you think you had on the case? Sorry about your fire, they can ruin memories which can't be replaced.
Had some of the originals , at the time my deer rifle was a rechambered 99 Arisaka .
Surprisingly, even with the slightly larger bore the 30-06 accelerators were minute of quart oil can .
Made an absolute mess of groundhogs .
If I remember correctly, the two I shot with them were 60-80 yds .
Wish I had bought some more , they were fun .
See a partial box now and then .
Kenneth
in the 80's i got into them. my m70 30-06 liked them well enough that i used them to clear out the ground squirrels excavating my orchard. out to 60-80 yards they produced this spectacular red mist!
When grandpa took me to Diamond Jim’s gunshop in the desert outside of Apache Junction AZ around 1982 or 83 I got to choose from his inventory. I spotted a nice walnut stock that was on a Rem 788 in 30-30 and told grandpa that was the rifle for me so grandpa plunked down $125(iirc) and old Diamond Jim threw in a box of shells. He asked me if I wanted 150gr, 170gr or the 55gr accelerators. I didn’t know what to expect for recoil and being roughly 12 years old at the time I chose the accelerators because they looked cool. Grandpa bought me a box of PMC 150gr and I still have 1 round left from that first box of big game bullets…I still have the PMC box with the old Diamond Jim sticker on it too. That box and the single 30-30 bullet has moved with me countless times and I’ve never misplaced it because it reminds me of how lucky I am, what incredible adventures I’ve had and the people that have blessed my life beyond measure. I was into guns since I was about 3 when I got a BB gun to “hunt” with grandpa around the house. At 8 I got my .22 bolt action and at 9 I got a single shot 20ga. Those firearms will never get sold or traded but that 788 in 30-30 was my first big game hunting rifle and it’s the beginning of my foray into manhood….a journey that I’m still on…😁

ETA….Regarding sabots. I shot a couple boxes of accelerators but mostly switched to 150gr. The accelerators that I shot were accurate enough for me to consistently hit prickly pear buds/flowers and several jackrabbits. While I never shot them for actual groups I felt like within 100 yards I was as sure as one can be that the shot would be true.
© 24hourcampfire