Home
Posted By: Old_Tucson Remington coating - 06/08/22
Remington used to apply a clear coating that was supposed to be for rifles used in inclement weather. It was applied with a vapor mist. Does anyone remember the name of the process and what shop did it?
George
Posted By: Bugger Re: Remington coating - 06/08/22
They started using it when DuPont owned Remington, I believe. DuPont had Remington build the multi-lug rifles like the 788 also, maybe other thing too, though I canโ€™t recall any other things.
Posted By: BradFord Re: Remington coating - 06/08/22
In later years, the classic Remington coating was Rust! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

From you description of the vapor mist, it almost sounds like the anti-fog coating sprayed on glass,
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Remington coating - 06/08/22
Are you speaking of the coating that they applied on the XCR?
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Remington coating - 06/09/22
It very well might be the XCR. Just remember it being very effective.
George
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Remington coating - 06/09/22
Certain (not all) XCR's are the the ones most commonly seen with it.

But there's nothing always set-in-stone with Big Green. A pal bought a new 700 CDL SF (stainless fluted) in 257 Weatherby and brought it to me (still in the original box) for bedding and restocking....it has a satin coating on the receiver and barrel.

Good shootin' -Al
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Remington coating - 06/09/22
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
It very well might be the XCR. Just remember it being very effective.
George

XCR(clear) and XCR II(black) which are trnyte finishes and are better then any cerakoat or anything else along those lines.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Remington coating - 06/09/22
Trynite
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Remington coating - 06/10/22
One of the few good things that came from Remington about 20 years ago. Google'd it and seems to be proprietary to them. With Remington in the crapper, will probably never see it again.
George
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Remington coating - 06/10/22
Weโ€™ll always have nitride, preferably over stainless steel, and technically not a coating, but wonderful stuff. Wish more factories used it. CZ and one or two other Yurrupean ones are the only ones using it on bolt actions that Iโ€™m aware of.
© 24hourcampfire