Home
Posted By: czech1022 Husqvarna rifles? - 07/03/22
I'm looking at some Husqvarna rifles - a model 3100, 4100, 4000 and 5000. The 5000 is labeled "Tradewinds Husky". There's also a Smith and Wesson Model B that is also a Husqvarna.

Can anyone explain the differences?
Posted By: elkrazy Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I am also waiting to learn more about the Husky variants, etc. With multiple models, version, involving other manufactures it is complicated to me.

Anyone willing to share?
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I like the Husqvarna 640 models.
Paul B.
Posted By: RalphBeagle Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
http://www.rex.gl/search.html

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/husqvarna-actions.163353/
Posted By: hanco Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I like the 1640’s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
Originally Posted by czech1022
I'm looking at some Husqvarna rifles - a model 3100, 4100, 4000 and 5000. The 5000 is labeled "Tradewinds Husky". There's also a Smith and Wesson Model B that is also a Husqvarna.

Can anyone explain the differences?

Husqvarna came be confusing.

Tradewinds and S&W both imported Husqvarna rifles with their names and model designations. Tradewinds only imported Husqvarnas with the HVA action, while S&W imported them with both the HVA and later pushfeed action. Tradewinds sold their Husqvarnas as their Model 5000 and S&W sold theirs as their Models A thru E. A S&W B would have come with a classic stock comb and 21.??" lightweight barrel with open sights. The S&Ws typically have stock made of light colored walnut with a hard glossy finish. I've owned at least one of each of the S&W imported Husqvarnas, still have 2 As, 2Bs, 1 C, 4Ds, and 5Es.

Tradewinds also imported rifles from Krico and seem to have kept the Model 5000 designation for the Krico rifles with single triggers, not DSTs, and open sights, not slick barrels. So, if you're looking to buy a Tradewinds Model 5000, it could be a Husqvarna or it could be a Krico. A lot of sellers don't know the difference, but a picture will clear the ambiguity.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I have two pristine 146s. Undrilled/untapped. Like polished rubies.
Posted By: 79S Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I bought this husky 640 at a gunshow for $300 bucks it’s an 06. Ran some patches down the barrel doubt been cleaned in years, got some weaver bases mounted a 3-9x40 Burris ff2 on it. Shoots 190 hornady btsp very well. Couple yrs ago took it caribou hunting ended up harvesting 2 caribou with it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
czech1022;
Top of the morning or perhaps good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day is behaving for you.

We used to have a member here with the handle HVA and I believe it was he who was an expert on Husky variants.

The top link which Ralph Beagle shared is very good - thank you kindly sir.

Somehow we seem to have a bunch of Husky variants up here on this side of the medicine line, my guess is that they were at a good price point perhaps, but we see lots.

Over the years I've worked on a whole bunch as a result, about 2/3 of them the earlier FN made 98 type actions, then the remainder the 640/1640 Husky built hybrid of the 98 action length but small ring size action. I've seen and handled a couple of the last ones made with the 1900 action, but haven't worked on one.

The most common thing I've repaired is a cracked stock on them, the stock typically cracking at the tang first but some cracked at the tang and the recoil lug. I've only worked on one 9.3x62 so far and it was cracked in both places.

If I was to make a semi-educated guess on why they crack, it'd be that they're bedded too tight from the factory and that in combination with the beech and softer walnut stocks resulted in them cracking.

It's a really easy fix however so that's good.

The triggers on some of them are adjustable and some are not. Some of both have decent triggers and some less so.

I've read that one can make a commercial 98 trigger work on a 1640 action, but if I've done that I don't recall at present, sorry.

The metal work on most Husky rifles, but especially the 640/1640 and the few 1900's that I looked at was very, very good. I'd hesitate to say it's "the best" but I've worked on 98 actions made by Mauser, Steyr and CZ to name a few and the Husky fit and finish equals or exceeds them.

I'm not sure how they'd handle escaping gas resulting from a major case failure as opposed to a 98 action, so there is that.

Most of them that I've played with shot well after they were bedded. When the stocks are cracked a common complaint was that the accuracy was spotty and that makes sense.

Some people don't prefer the Husky bolt stop as opposed to the 98 system and I'll give them that. It's likely not as robust and certainly at least somewhat less easy to use than a 98, but I've never seen or even heard of one broken or failing to work.

Lastly the more I've gone down the rabbit hole of Husky rifles the more oddball rifles that folks seem to have, mainly with different stock variants though, not the actions or barrels.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

All the best whichever way you go with Husky made rifles.

Dwayne
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
[Linked Image]

1953 Tradewinds Husqvarna 640 30-06, I Bartlein rebarreled to 6.5-06, Dakota Arms safety, Parker hale bottom metal, Timney trigger, Bordon stock, Limbsaver recoil, drilled and tapped for 4 hole scope base system, Vortex Razor.

A month after the build in 2020 I drove 900 miles, sighted in until it hit the 1/2" bullseye at 200 yards, then I shot a mule doe...had to wear a mask in the hotel.
Posted By: SAM50 Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I think it’s the 1640 that Phil Shoemaker spoke highly of. That’s a pretty good endorsement
Posted By: Soup Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
I've got a Trade Winds Krico .243winchester.
A friend willed it to me, he was having some issues with his child and removed the bolt. Yes, I got the rifle NO I didn't get the bolt!!!!
I often wondered if I wrote to Krico , would they send me one? A real shame, he was a good friend and died way too young.
Soup
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/08/22
How about a FFV in 308?
Posted By: ttpoz Re: Husqvarna rifles? - 07/09/22
I have a 1640 in 270. Stock cracked at the tang in a horse wreck a few years ago. Shoots very well despite a trigger I would describe as spongy. Probably my favorite rifle.
© 24hourcampfire