Home
I have a howa 1500 30-06 , can i replace the barrel with a 6.5 cm barrel?
Might or might not feed correctly--but there's an easy way to find out. There are also ways to help it feed correctly, some more complicated than others.
Take a 308 round or two and see how they feed…. The feed ramps on the bottom side of the action are cut back further for longer cases so they feed up at the right angle… unless you can get a shorter mag setup they might feed high and too soon…

IF… you could put a shorter mag well in it you might get away from it… or if you could replace the bottom metal with something that had a magazine becuase that’s where the feed ramp is.
Could always buy a new Howa rifle in 6.5 CM. You can find their blued std 22 inch w/.620” contour for around $500. That’s about the cost of a new chambered barrel installed on your 06. This way you have two rifles at your disposal.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Could always buy a new Howa rifle in 6.5 CM. You can find their blued std 22 inch w/.620” contour for around $500. That’s about the cost of a new chambered barrel installed on your 06. This way you have two rifles at your disposal.

I have a new Christensen Arms 6.5 CM Remington 700 Barrel and looking for cheapest set of action and stock.
Spotshooter,

Why test feeding with .308 rounds when he's asking about rebarreling to 6.5 Creedmoor?
Originally Posted by persiandog

I have a new Christensen Arms 6.5 CM Remington 700 Barrel and looking for cheapest set of action and stock.

Not sure of your intent. Are you trying to spin a Remington based barrel with its std cut threads onto a Howa receiver which has metric cut threads. If so, it won’t fly without extensive rework, also I doubt many smiths would wanna go there.

Not sure of your intent. Are you trying to spin a Remington based barrel with its std cut threads onto a Howa receiver which has metric cut threads. If so, it won’t fly without extensive rework, also I doubt many smiths would wanna go there.

my intent is to build a gun with my new barrel.
Then you will need to buy one of the hundreds of Remington 700 action/receiver clones on the market or buy a SA Remington 700 action/receiver from Brownells. The Howa LA won’t work for your intentions. You’re better off setting it up on a SA in the first place for function, feed and workability. It’s all about the threads and Howa is not compatible with a Remington 700 based threading.
persiandog;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day behaved itself down in Boise for you and you're well.

Please be careful when Mule Deer suggests you try to feed some cartridge through a rifle action which you're contemplating building.

The last time he did that with me it was my "walking around rifle" which is a 98 Mauser marked action which was a .270 and John suggested I try to run 6.5x55's through it....

Well..... grin

That cost me a bunch of money with the gunsmith up the valley - since indeed they did feed and if anything better than the .270 it was chambered for. wink

You've been thusly warned sir, try feeding some of the desired rounds at the peril of your cheque book! laugh

Anyways all kidding aside, as usual his suggestions are spot on.

I've done a .250AI on a Mauser 98 action and no, I wouldn't say that was the best windmill to tilt at, but yes it does now feed more or less acceptably and no I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else other than a lesson in personal patience building.

Good luck with the build, it sounds like a fun one.

Dwayne
I should have said 308 length cartridge or 6.5 if you have one…. I was in a hurry when I posted it I guess…

The ramp in the bottom of the action (side cuts on the action) extend further back on longer rounds… so with shorter ones they can nose up too fast if they are back further… if the new mag well is set forward enough it’s not a problem… but if it’s all the way back it can be can an issue…

A while back I posted a picture of 2 Remy short actions one was a 223, the other a 308… and you could see the feed ramp cuts extend back further on the 308 than the 223, not to mention they are wider… so it’s just to see if the action has such a thing…
Guys trying to get a 223 to feed 308’s have issues, this would be the other way around.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Spotshooter,

Why test feeding with .308 rounds when he's asking about rebarreling to 6.5 Creedmoor?

These pics - again this is a short action with 223 on one side, and 308 other the other…. But you can see the ramps cut into the action.
** the mag wells I put on there are both 308 mag wells…. (The 223 has a spacer to move the round forward )

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BC30cal
persiandog;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day behaved itself down in Boise for you and you're well.
Good luck with the build, it sounds like a fun one.

Dwayne

thanks , i will buy a remington action.
I put a 260 Remington Varmint Barrel on a 30/06 Long Action Remington.. it had no feeding issues.

same with a 6mm Remington.
I’m not saying it will be an issue - I just check things that can be checked before hand…

Low cost, nothing lost..
I have a howa 1500 30-06 , can i replace the barrel with a 6.5 cm barrel?
It might work OK because I'm guessing yours is a controlled feed. I'd make sure before I ordered parts.
I don’t think any Howa 1500 is controlled round feed.
Maybe to late but FWIW I re-barreled a Savage long action in 270 to a 6.5-.284 Norma and had no feeding problems.

It was nice to have the extra length to seat my 140gr VLDs to the lands.
Or conversely simply barrel it as a 6.5x55. Problem solved. Unless of course you seek the panache of a 6.5 Creedmoor....
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Or conversely simply barrel it as a 6.5x55. Problem solved. Unless of course you seek the panache of a 6.5 Creedmoor....

how does it solve the problem?

just called a gunsmith , can't do.
"Gunsmith" is not ! 6.55x55 requires a long action (look at any Tikka).
99.9% of 30-06 headsize actions will accept 6.5x55.
If any issue use Win or Rem brass that has .473 rim diameter.
Works just fine and with proper throat/twist is great with VLD bullets.
If building, go with 6.5x55 "AI" or 6.5x06.
Originally Posted by UpThePole
"Gunsmith" is not ! 6.55x55 requires a long action (look at any Tikka).
99.9% of 30-06 headsize actions will accept 6.5x55.
If any issue use Win or Rem brass that has .473 rim diameter.
Works just fine and with proper throat/twist is great with VLD bullets.
If building, go with 6.5x55 "AI" or 6.5x06.

ok , "a 6.5 CM can't be rebarreled to 6.55x55 "
Perhaps it's time to seek another "gunsmith".
I have a 6.5x47 Lapua on a long action Rem 700. Works quite well. No feeding problems.
like has been sad just buy a different rifle ,probably be easiest and maybe cheapest way to go ?
I have a .243 on a old 98 Mauser action. Feeds quite well
Originally Posted by pete53
like has been sad just buy a different rifle ,probably be easiest and maybe cheapest way to go ?

the barrel is brand new and light weight , it is from "CHRISTENSEN ARMS MESA 6.5 CM TUNGSTEN BLACK 22 CA10280-H13211 "
I barreled a 450 Bushmaster onto a Remington 700 30-06 action. The 450 wants to nosedive into the magazine instead of feeding into the chamber. Still haven’t tinkered with it yet but I suspect I can get it resolved.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a .243 on a old 98 Mauser action. Feeds quite well

Some years ago I bought an older custom rifle, probably built in the 1960s judging from the stock styling. It was a .243 with a 26" heavy barrel, built on an intermediate length Mexican Mauser action. In theory the shorter action should have fed .243s well--but did not. It took me half a day to get it to feed right.

Which is only one of many examples of how controlled-feed actions are harder to get to work correctly with certain cartridges than push-feed actions. But even PF actions can vary considerably with different rounds--which is why I suggested to the OP that trying a few 6.5 CMs would answer his question.
My son-in-law has built several Remington 700 long actions with 6.5 Creedmoor remage barrels and they all fed fine
Originally Posted by pete53

the barrel is brand new and light weight , it is from "CHRISTENSEN ARMS MESA 6.5 CM TUNGSTEN BLACK 22 CA10280-H13211 "

No reason a 6.5CM won't work in a LA. Had a 721 with a 257 Rob. 722 bbl on it worked fine.

But why waste a long action on a CM ? So many better otions.
Done a 260 in what was a 270 , no issues . Also 7BR ina short a tion with no modifications the mag ..
sell it and buy a Tikka in 6.5 CM
Or build a 6.5-06 and call it a day
Had a Win Model 70 redone to a 6.5x55. No feeding issues. Did have a 6 BR on a 700 LA that fed with no consistency. It was redone on a SA.
I’ve had mostly good luck rebarreling 700’s without modification. Though, I rebarreled a 30-06 to 6mm and the cartridges tended to pop out of the magazine on that 700. I’m not positive what the issue was, though I have an opinion. I rebarreled it again to 280 and it works fine.
I’ve rebarreled or rechambered to AI chamberings with no issue on 700’s - 280 to 280AI, 22-250 to 22-50 AI for examples.
Rebarreling a controlled feed with different cartridge shapes has been more of an issue for me. Going from a smaller diameter cartridge to a larger has meant removal of metal.
Not sure how going from a large cartridge to a smaller one would work on a controlled feed, I have not tried that. I’ve rebarreled 98 Mausers to 280 a couple of times with no issues or metal removable.
I bought a Winchester pre-64 chambered in 375H&H AI and it feeds fine with 375 or 375AI. Not sure what if any modifications the previous owner did to this rifle.
I bought a 35 Brown Whelen pre-64 Winchester that would not feed. Rather than removing metal I had the barrel set back and chambered 35 Whelen and it fed fine.

My recommendation is to re-read Mule Deer’s response, it’s spot on.
Tag
What a clusterfuuck. If you go through and figure out what the question really is, you can then go through and find potentially relevant answers! Nice! laugh
Might be Mtn Boomer but when a guy gets the 6.5 Creedmoor fever the easiest way to get it done is CASH rfn noooo downtime or wait...mb
I pulled my 6.5CM barrel off its Tikka action and replaced it with a 26" McGowen 6.5X284 Norma shoulder fit barrel.The barrel is throated for 156 grain Bergers.I filed the bolt stop to make it a long action and use Tikka LA Mags.It feeds just fine and shoots great.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What a clusterfuuck. If you go through and figure out what the question really is, you can then go through and find potentially relevant answers! Nice! laugh

I think it's this: He has a Howa 1500 action in hand. He has a new Christensen Arms 6.5 CM Remington 700 Barrel in hand. He wants to put them together.

No go. Rem 700 threads are 1 1/16" x 16 tpi and the Howa action is threaded metric.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I think it's this: He has a Howa 1500 action in hand. He has a new Christensen Arms 6.5 CM Remington 700 Barrel in hand. He wants to put them together.

No go. Rem 700 threads are 1 1/16" x 16 tpi and the Howa action is threaded metric.
Yes, however, it's doable on a long action Remington 700 with the correct boltface, and a short action too with the correct boltface, assuming you use a standard Remington recoil lug and it all goes well without lathework to achieve correct headspace, although not always does it work smoothly for SA cartridges in LA actions regarding feeding the SA cartridge, but, thankfully, it does seem to be okay with the wonderfully designed 6.5 Creedmoor (note, no 'e') cartridge, in the Remington 700 LAs, BTDT, so, indeed, without buying another compatible barrel for the Howa or a Rem 700 action, for the CA barrel, Idaho is sol, but by golly, Remington 700 two-piece scope bases work on the Howa 1500s so there is that, and double thankfully neither of these actions discussed are CRF or there'd potentially be, or surely there would be more fubar involved. LOL 😁

All in good fun.
© 24hourcampfire