Home
Posted By: RSherburne Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
Not sure where to post but maybe a gun writer has an answer.

I have been looking for some 35 Rem for my Contender, my supply has gotten a little low. Nada for months save multi dollar per round extortion on Gunbroker. Not even Buffalo Bore.

Have ammo companies just given up on the 35?

RAS
Posted By: Puddle Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
More likely its just in line on the priority train....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
Seasonal run. Might not even be annual. Gotta stock up when you see it.

About a month ago I handled a very nice Remington 141 at an LGS. Had the money in my pocket, but passed it up. When I got home I poked around on the WWW and found not a single round of ammo nor any brass. I guess stores and gun shows are the only sources for now.

IIRC, Mule Deer once suggested that a feller could find all the .35 brass he needed lying around the deer woods.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
Yes, stock up. If you shoot much or hunt a. Lot with it I would buy every box you see any place
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
I think most ammo companies are focused on the big sellers and getting that ammo out. The not so big selling ammo of some cartridges suffer and seasonal runs become non existent, esp 35 calibers. When there is availability, some are also buying it up to flip on places like Gunbroker. I don't think there's any on there for less than $100 a box.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
Reloading is worth the effort. Hawk makes a thinner jacket bullet in .358" that might be the ticket for your Contender
Ammo companies are well aware of how much ammo like 35 rem they sell. So when they produce it they might include a percentage over run ,might being a key word. Ordinary 35 rem users buy a box or 2 every year or 2. So when you have a panic first guy who sees that fresh stock of 35 rem on the shelf buys the whole fugging case and the once a year stock of 35 rem is gone. Makes the shop owner frown a little while his cash register goes ka ching. Then throw in people who hoard to scalp then good ole R Sherburn is screwed. Way it is you don't have to like it....mb
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Ammo companies are well aware of how much ammo like 35 rem they sell. So when they produce it they might include a percentage over run ,might being a key word. Ordinary 35 rem users buy a box or 2 every year or 2. So when you have a panic first guy who sees that fresh stock of 35 rem on the shelf buys the whole fugging case and the once a year stock of 35 rem is gone. Makes the shop owner frown a little while his cash register goes ka ching. Then throw in people who hoard to scalp then good ole R Sherburn is screwed. Way it is you don't have to like it....mb

This is your answer, both to the "only special runs" and the "me first, me last, and after that everybody else" mentality that is such a source of pride for some. What is interesting is that the thread has come this far without the usual sermons about not having had the foresight to have filled the attic with the given product during the good times being given by preachers who are dislocating their arms patting themselves on the back while delivering the sermon.
Well 5sdad that is the truth and could include the rest of your scorn as it is also the truth. Limited quantities of ANYTHING bring out the worst in alot of people from asswipe(tp) to anything normally bought and used. The smart answer to this is to be prepared best you can with the things you know you will need. The times have changed and buying what you want , when you want for how much you want to pay are gone. Got it?.mb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/20/22
For the price of a couple of boxes of Gunbroker .35 ammo, a feller could buy a basic press, scale, dies, etc to refill the brass he (hopefully) has saved from his factory ammo. Many of us started out like that to save money, when that really did save money. Now, it’s more about just being able to shoot. From what I hear from others who are out and about checking stores, primers do appear from time to time, though at a fearsome cost. Even one flat would help keep a gun in the woods.
Post a WTB ad for ammunition here in the classifieds, they have never let me down.

Just be diligent when dealing w people. Make sure you are getting what they claim to have.

I bought quite a few 35 brass here and some .358 bullets, 180, 200 and 220 grain. Stuff is out there you just have to dig.
PM invound
Posted By: Dinny Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Reloading is worth the effort. Hawk makes a thinner jacket bullet in .358" that might be the ticket for your Contender

People seem to either love or hate Hawk Bullets. Fury Bullets Company has gained alot of business from Hawk haters. I tested the Fury 220gr JFP in my 35 Rem and found it nearly a perfect fit for the cartridge.

Brass, bullets, dies, press, and powder can be more easily found than primers. One could post a WTB ad for a FTF primer transaction and there's a decent chance another campfire member will be close enough and happy enough to help out.
Posted By: bcp Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/21/22
Kind of hard to stock up on every cartridge you don't use in case you may buy a gun it will fit sometime in the future.

smile

Bruce
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
No Way Bruce, I've been doing that for years!
When my .250 Savage comes along, I'm set!
The 9.3x62 and .256 Newton got built AFTER the wealth of components fell upon me too.

;o)
Rex
Pre Covid I sold a 30/40 krag Winchester model 95 to a guy who was related to the Hornaday family.

He didn’t want any ammunition or components. But he stated at that time Hornaday would only run a few odd ball calibers a year. Then rotate to other ones the next year. I think it took them about 5 years to complete a cycle.
I do reload and have enough components to load a couple hundred rounds. However, no new ammo = no new brass. Maybe I need to figure out what cartridge can be used to form 35 Rem.

RAS
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
Rex,

I'm in the same boat. In the last month I've bought 6.5C brass from you and 45 Colt from another member and I don't have a firearm in either cartridge.

I do however load for family and Friday my brother told me he picked up a 6.5C. I'll load the 45 Colt for my son-in-law's dad for a Christmas present to use in his Henry lever carbine.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
Not loony enough, yet, to buy ammo on “approval” in case I buy a gun it fits, plus that would seem a bit selfish under the current situation. OTOH, if there’s one you know you want but just haven’t found “the One”, it makes perfect sense.

As someone said, there are a lot of .35s out there, but typically they don’t get shot a lot. The brass is somewhat unique, and I’m unaware of an easy path for conversion. That complicates manufacture too, I’d imagine. One reason the .350 Legend works commercially is that the brass begins with the same brass chunks as .223, up to the second or third draw step.

If I were thinking about a traditional medium-bore woods gun, I’d go for something based on the .30/30-.38/55-.375 Win case, or at least something Starline makes, so I’d throw the .444 on the pile too.
Originally Posted by RSherburne
I do reload and have enough components to load a couple hundred rounds. However, no new ammo = no new brass. Maybe I need to figure out what cartridge can be used to form 35 Rem.

RAS

.35 Remington brass can be formed from common .308 Winchester brass. I know this due to having done it with a Redding Big Boss Press and Imperial sizing die wax.
Posted By: JPro Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
I did not know that about forming .35Rem brass. Good bit of info there!

I deer/hog hunt with a group of 5 friends on my place and they've all been able to find the various ammo they need over the last few years, with the exception of .35Remington. I'm down to my last box of Leverevolution, so it'll be time to finally break out the dies and FTX bullets I managed to find earlier this year and get everybody set up. The .35 is such a low-volume shooter for me that I never thought I'd need to reload for it, but here we are.....
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
... that would seem a bit selfish under the current situation....

Now there's something you don't see every day!
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.35 Remington brass can be formed from common .308 Winchester brass. I know this due to having done it with a Redding Big Boss Press and Imperial sizing die wax.

Yep. Did so years ago on an RCBS A2 'shovel handle' press .

Good shootin' smile -Al
Posted By: rj308 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
I live in Romania now, but my brother still has some of my "gun stuff". I believe there is 2 boxes of 35 Rem.factory ammunition, 1 box of Remington 150 core-Lokt's and one box of Federal 200 grain loads. If anyone lives near the Newport, TN area and is interested in it. let me know and I will call him ans see if he still has it for sure. I will sell it for $30 a box picked up. RJ
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Pre Covid I sold a 30/40 krag Winchester model 95 to a guy who was related to the Hornaday family.

He didn’t want any ammunition or components. But he stated at that time Hornaday would only run a few odd ball calibers a year. Then rotate to other ones the next year. I think it took them about 5 years to complete a cycle.

I read something similar about Sierra and they only ran the .358 225 Gameking every three years, whether true or not, I know I haven't seen it for a while. Same with the 225 Partition.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/22/22

RAS

There's a bunch of brass on gunbroker right now, one seller has several listings and bids are around $20 for 100 right now:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/944374452

you never know, might be able to keep an eye on them and snag one somewhat reasonably, otherwise going without or reforming 308 brass might be your only options.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/23/22

RAS

Do you have to do any turning or similar stuff?

Good to know in case one wanders by……
Rim on the 35 is .460 in, on the 308 it is .4728. Gonna have some turning to do.

RAS
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/24/22

RAS

Here you go. With just a couple of forming dies and a propane torch to anneal the brass a guy could have all he wanted. I have been making 7x57 out of .270 brass and 8x57 out of 30-06 brass. It's not pretty but it works.

kwg
Originally Posted by M1Garand

I read something similar about Sierra and they only ran the .358 225 Gameking every three years, whether true or not, I know I haven't seen it for a while. Same with the 225 Partition.
I sent Sierra and email about their 35 caliber 225gr Game Kings and they told me that they only run them every 3 years and it wasn't on the production list at the current time, and this was couple months ago.

Is this Hornaday a new ammo company?
Posted By: Bugger Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/24/22
I suppose you could run a 358 reamer into your Contender barrel. You could still run at 35 Remington pressure. Forming 358 cases from 308 is pretty easy.

How much brass are you looking for? I tried to send you a PM but evidently you have not had enough posts to receive PM’s.

RAS
How many rounds of 35 do you shoot in a year??
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 08/28/22
My good friend has a Marlin in 35 we call the lightning bolt. Stuff just falls when it’s in the woods. And it’s very accurate inside 100 yds.
I have almost bought one twice trying to catch the “Lightning”, but passed both times.
This thread reminds me that I should have as both times there was Remington ammo available on the shelf.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
I just got off the phone with the LGS.

They showed 24 boxes online for 35Rem 200gr RN in stock. (17 FC and 7 R-P)

I bought 6 of the R-P.
.35 Remington isn't "tacticool", so it goes to the back burner.
Posted By: Fxs Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Nothing easy!!
Posted By: mathman Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by reivertom

Is it hard to get 30-30 ammunition?
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
I would have started loading for mine right off the hop, but components are scarce here.

I'm glad to find the ammo.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Rim on the 35 is .460 in, on the 308 it is .4728. Gonna have some turning to do.

RAS

Not really. It's only another (less than) six and a half thou for an extractor to snap over, probably wouldn't be noticed. Truth be known, I wouldn't be surprised if most commercial .35 Rem brass now is made from the same basic case as .308.
OP doesn't say where he's located. If someone is in the area of SW Idaho (Boise/Nampa/Caldwell) I could let go of a couple of boxes or so. I don't shoot it all that often but when I'm going through Canada that's what I take.
And I'm not interested in Shipping. Don't really have a feel for that and no interest.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Academy has Hornady 35 Remington in stock and they’ll ship to your home. $45 a box.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by mathman

Apparently.

I just got a Marlin in a trade. Picked up three boxes of Fiocchi online, the cheapest I could find at $28.99 a box w/free shipping. There wasn’t a lot to choose from at my usual online sites. This morning I looked again at “the big four”, and there was only some Nosler at $40 and Buffalo Bore at over $100. The place I bought the Fiocchi from is now out.

Just a moment ago ammoseek.com showed it available at a number of obscure sites, only one that I’m familiar with at all, but it’s out there, at $32 and up plus shipping. Locally, I can’t say, as I don’t go to Walmart and gunshops are all from 30-45 minutes away. I have enough for now and dies, plus some more coming from the trade.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/06/22
Hornady and Remington ammo was 35 bucks a box and Win brass was 30.

And last summer a couple shops around here had a decent amount

Of course some people thought that too high.
When other shops were 30 percent higher.

Most bambi slayers wait til the week or night before the opener to find ammo.

I saw it, and would buy a box or two every week or so.
Never emptied a shops inventory in one swoop.
Try to give folks a chance.
But the crap was just sitting there all spring and summer.

Historically, Graf and Sons in Mexico MO, buys that stuff, maybe even all of it. I drop in there every now and then, and have found 7.65x53 Mauser (Argentine) for my uncle's 1891 Mauser, 6.5 Japanese, 6.5 Carcano, 7.7 Carcano, and other stuff that isn't mainstream, and maybe never was in this country. It might pay to check with Graf's website, to see what kind of oddball stuff they might have. They are big fans of the Swiss 7.5 Schmidt Rubins, too. They even used to carry all manner of accessories for the S-Rs, including diopter sights, etc.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/07/22
Looks like Academy already sold out of the ammo that they will ship.
Posted By: MAC Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/07/22
This place has 35 Rem brass in stock.
https://www.dowdlesports.com/Hornady-35Rem-Unprimed-50_p_64351.html

I'd buy brass and get a set of dies and load it
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/07/22

..and Buffalo Bore at over $100.

I think I would enjoy seeing someone trying to convince me that any .30-30 ammunition is worth $5.00/round.
That batch of 100 35 Remington brass on GB sold for $132.00 ............WTF !!!!!!!
Posted By: JDK Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/07/22
A LGS found 2 boxes of 200 gr Core-Lokts for $125 per box for a client. The guy bought it. No way
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by cra1948

..and Buffalo Bore at over $100.

I think I would enjoy seeing someone trying to convince me that any .30-30 ammunition is worth $5.00/round.

Was curious about the price, so checked the BB site. $85.90, +shipping of course.

Must be the Larry Tax.
What is LGS and is it stateside? I'd really like to pick up some of that 35rem.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by Ricochet_Rabbit

It’s Campfire shorthand for “Local Gun Shop.”
Posted By: Windfall Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/12/22
Going through some old ammo drawers over the weekend and found 16 rounds of factory Super X 200 grain .35 Remington ammo for a long gone m141 Remington rifle. What does someone do with factory ammo without a rifle to shoot it? I'd give this stuff away to a good home.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/13/22
Originally Posted by Ricochet_Rabbit

LGS = Local Gun Store. Sorry, but this store is on the Canada side of the line.

A buddy picked that ammo up for me on the weekend. Saved me a 4 hr drive. When I got it from him tonight and he gave me another 2.5 boxes. With the 6, I bought, that will keep me going for a while. smile
Brownell’s has Hornady 200gr FTX ammo in stock as of this moment.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunitio...mo-35-remington-200gr-ftx-prod96408.aspx
OP here, been offline for a bit, bad plate of lunch had me offline for a bit.

Appreciate all the info/responses. Missed the Brownells stock, they are OOS now.

I did manage to score a couple boxes of 200g FTX bullets and 2 lbs of Hodgdon LeveRevolution powder so I at least can roll my own. I have enough brass to load ~100 so we will see how that goes.

Maybe the Brownells stocking suggests that Hornady is in the pipeline to other suppliers also, I just will not pay Gunbroker prices 4-5-6 bucks a round.

RAS
Posted By: hookeye Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/15/22
Insane prices.
I wouldnt pay it either.

Will make the loop this weekend, maybe, and check a couple of shops. If its there, proly 50.a box. And it will stay.
Hookeye if you find any cheaper it will be an accident. Everything is high thanks to the buttwipe bitme voters..mb
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/18/22
I just bought a JC Higgans model 45 in 35 Remington, has almost 4 boxes of shells with it. Have to shoot some up for brass.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/19/22
OP here, been offline for a bit, bad plate of lunch had me offline for a bit.

Appreciate all the info/responses. Missed the Brownells stock, they are OOS now.

I did manage to score a couple boxes of 200g FTX bullets and 2 lbs of Hodgdon LeveRevolution powder so I at least can roll my own. I have enough brass to load ~100 so we will see how that goes.

Maybe the Brownells stocking suggests that Hornady is in the pipeline to other suppliers also, I just will not pay Gunbroker prices 4-5-6 bucks a round.

RAS

You'll prob be able to find some after hunting season. 35 Rem has been tough for several years now. But factory 200gr ammo is pretty easy to beat with handloads, so I think you'll probably win in the end.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 09/20/22
Here's some 35 Rem brass for sale:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...-Lead-Tester-Case-Trimmer-J-Words-Dies-1
Was in a LGS yesterday and they had Hornady Lever 35 Rem for 39.95 box. Bought 1 for a friend. There was 4 left. Dan.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 10/01/22
Originally Posted by Bugger

Wow ... Buck a piece for used 35Rem brass. Wern't no deal there but it sold anyways.
You only get hosed if you let them. Last spring I bought 7 boxes of factory ammo for $200. Keep looking...mb
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 10/04/22
There is an interesting read in Ken Waters Pet Loads where he talks about walking into a gunstore and the owner hands him a new pre-64 M70 carbine in 35Remington. He took the bait and bought it.

What a find would that rifle be now, esp if the box was with it with proof that is was KW's rifle.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Why no 35 Remington ammo? - 10/08/22
I run the Hornady ammo.
My 760 loves it.
Ive got a dozen or more boxes in reserve, plus my empties.

Consequently, i dunno if Ill ever use my new WW brass.
Should have 2 bags of fifty, if I can find em LOL

Will put in classifieds later.
© 24hourcampfire