Home
Posted By: carbon12 S&G Mechanical lock question - 09/08/22
Previously (probably several months ago), there was a gun safe thread where the Sargent & Greenleaf mechanical lock was mentioned. It was advised not to spin the dial to reset and lock the safe because something bad could happen to the mechanism.

I have always spun the dial after the door handle is closed to lock the safe. What am I missing?
Posted By: Biebs Re: S&G Mechanical lock question - 09/08/22
I always do that with my big Browning Medallion safe....no problems.
From my Liberty manual with S&G manual lock.

Never spin the dial rapidly back and forth as this may cause damage to the lock.
You have to remember that you are dealing with a precision mechanism. A gentle twist is all it takes to move the dial off of the last number.
There is NO need to spin the dial, just gently rotate it!
If you spin your lock, and the wheel(s) change position, you will have an unknown combination.

No need to spin the dial. Just turn 4 times in any direction.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: S&G Mechanical lock question - 09/09/22
Mine developed an audible squeak when turning. That was about 25 years after purchase. Read up on them, then decided to get a locksmith to do the servicing. Guy was very reasonable and talked me through it as he cleaned and lubed the parts. Basically, alot of important stuff made of brass. Spinning accelerates movement of lube away from where it's needed. So best to turn the dial less aggressively.

Few important points: when it starts getting stiff or noisy........get it resolved. If you get to the point where it will barely operate, or is stuck after opening, do not close the safe.
Thanks for the replies. Might have dodged a lock out because of the information.
This is great information. I am going to stop spinning.
IF your mechanical lock does change the combination, locksmiths have a device that mounts on the safe and dials every combination possible until it unlocks the safe. The old way is slow and tedious.
I might have participated in that old S&G thread. I suppose you could dislodge or misalign things by spinning too fast or violently if a lock has worn parts or is not assembled properly. FWIW, I spin mine.
IF your mechanical lock does change the combination, locksmiths have a device that mounts on the safe and dials every combination possible until it unlocks the safe. The old way is slow and tedious.
I've heard of such devices that cost thousands of dollars. There are better ways to get in (I'm avoiding using the "C" word) and they're probably quicker than the gadget referred to. Most locksmiths lack the skills and will offer to drill the lock and replace it. I've not seen one with the gadget yet.
Auto dialer is the gadget
A close friend is a locksmith and has an auto dialer. He doesn't have to damage the safe to get in.
Dave in WV, curious how much that auto dialer ran? I don't doubt that a brute force auto dialer gains you entry without damage. But so does an appropriately skilled smith...and probably quicker.

I got a chuckle out of this;
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...252813/re-gun-safe-question#Post17252813
The auto dialer my friend uses doesn't damage the safe. It just goes through every combination possible until the safe opens. When it does the combination is saved by the auto dialer.
Hey....thanks for posting that! I've always wondered what the innards looked like. smile

Good shootin' -Al
I’m a locksmith auto dialers don’t always work I’ve never had the need for one I’m old school
Lol! Dave in WV “brute force” in combo locks is exactly what the auto dialer does. (FYI, same principle is applied to computer hacking to get a password and is also called “brute force”).

Ya’ll carry on…I guess the inventors of the auto dialer’s gotta eat too.
Have nigh on 20 years experience with S&G mechanical locks. Lots of good info in this thread. If you maintain and don;t abuse your S&G, it will have the best MTBF of any I have experience with.
I have an S&G lock that’s about 20 years old and works perfectly. I just shut it and twist. It never occurred to me to go Wheel of Fortune on it.
© 24hourcampfire