Home
Posted By: 7mmJRS Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm still alive and well and still writing. I'm still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI magazine, Field Editor for RIFLE SHOOTER, and a regular contributor to BALLISTIC and AMERICAN FRONTIERSMAN (I do the food/wine stuff for the latter, and both food/wine and gun stuff for BALLISTIC. At 82 years young I'm still driving the Lambo like it's stolen.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Glad to hear that John. I greatly enjoyed your book
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Thanks, GSPfan. Good to hear.
JRS
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
You are the guy that got me into Ruger No. 1s. Still look for your name on articles before buying a magazine.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Good for you!
Glad you are still here. I've read a bunch of your stuff over the years. Enjoyed it all.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Glad you are still here Pard! I always enjoyed your writings in for the past several decades!
Talked me into my first 280 Remington. Thanks!
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Thanks for checking in. Good to hear from you.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Jon, I liked your book also. Curious did you stop in at Illion in the late 60’s?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Hi Jon,

Good to hear you're still writing, and driving!

Best,
John
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/24/22
Good to hear from you JRS...mb
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Good to know, John. Still recommending, based on your writing, 154gr Hornadys to friends with 7mms. And not one has been disappointed. Keep on truckin'!
Posted By: WAM Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Hi Jon,
You are an inspiration to us all!
Cheers
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Jon,
Glad to hear you are doing well.
Thanks for years of good material.
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
I've been to Ilion several times over the years. What happened to Remington is criminal.
JRS
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Welcome back 7mmJRS!
Posted By: 7mmJRS Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Someone asked me to post a pic, but I don't know how to do it. I used to know, but it asks for a URL and I'm so computer-challenged, I don't know what the hell that is.
JRS
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Keep writing! Have read a lot of your work over the years, and enjoyed it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Welcome and it'll be nice to read your postings. been a long time since I read any of your articles etc, as I quit buying gun mags long ago.
Most of the really good guys are retired or gone. How lucky can we all get having you and Mule Deer here to share your wisdom and experiences with we citizens of the masses...

cheers,
seafire
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Outstanding!! Thanks for the update & wonderful writing that I grew up pouring over. Keep the hammer down on that Lambo.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Jon, I bought a 284 Win around 1990 after reading one of your articles. It still is a favorite rifle. I also have two of your jars stocks. Glad to know you are still writing.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
Someone asked me to post a pic, but I don't know how to do it. I used to know, but it asks for a URL and I'm so computer-challenged, I don't know what the hell that is.
JRS
Imgur is a good one and easy to use.

Contributors here, me included, would be more than happy to post your pictures. Send a PM for details.

Good to hear from you. Been a fan for decades, not inferring you’re an ole fart or something. But I’m one, recruiting others.

DF
Posted By: Elvis Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Good to know, John. Still recommending, based on your writing, 154gr Hornadys to friends with 7mms. And not one has been disappointed. Keep on truckin'!

Which means Hornady will probably cancel them soon.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
Glad to hear you are still writing Jon.
Have enjoyed your work and looking
forward to more.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/25/22
7mmJRS;
Good afternoon to you sir, thanks kindly for dropping by for an update.

I am another long time reader of your writing and enjoyed both the content and the way the stories were told.

For sure the biggest thing I can recall from back in the day was the articles about 6X scopes and Ruger No. One rifles.

Your work was at least in part the reason why this thing was my saddle hunting rifle for more than a decade.

[Linked Image]

On it is a 6X scope - one of 3 that sit on my main hunting rifles these days and that sir was definitely due to your writing.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/26/22
Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm still alive and well and still writing. I'm still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI magazine, Field Editor for RIFLE SHOOTER, and a regular contributor to BALLISTIC and AMERICAN FRONTIERSMAN (I do the food/wine stuff for the latter, and both food/wine and gun stuff for BALLISTIC. At 82 years young I'm still driving the Lambo like it's stolen.
"That's good work, if you can get it." ;o)
I really enjoyed your latest book! Keep loving life Jon.
Rex
Posted By: GreggH Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/26/22
Jon
It’s great to see you posting again. Hope you hang around more. Just FYI the 7 REM Mag is as good as you said it was.

GreggH
Posted By: Partsman Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/26/22
Good to hear, we up in the frozen north enjoy your writing, not sure about your driving.

As an aside when I was a young man in my late teens I had a job in a bodyshop of a exotic car dealer, one night when everyone left I had Jensen interceptors, Jaguars, some race ready BMW's to play with, I chose to start up the Lamborghini V12, well to say it was awesome is an understatement, that was such a thrill to a young man, would have loved to take it out, but was not that stupid. Yet grin
I remember when you used to stop in the Federal Firearms shop and talk with Ole and Roy. Only 50 years ago!

Mike
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/27/22
I really like my Pre-64 M-70 with Krieger barrel, Jewel trigger in a Boyd Jon Sundra Classic stock. I glassed and free floated it. I finished it and had Errol Case in MO checker it in a classic pattern. That gun started off as a shot out .243 Win. It's come a long way since then.

That stock has just about ideal ergonomics, superior, IMO, to their current "classic" offering.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/27/22
I've been to Ilion several times over the years. What happened to Remington is criminal.
JRS

You’re right. Welcome back.
Posted By: 260madman Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/29/22
The real question is, are you still shooting Lazzeroni’s?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by 260madman
The real question is, are you still shooting Lazzeroni’s?
If a guy wasn’t careful, he could burn Lambo roof paint shooting over the top. Sure Jon never did that.

😲

DF
Posted By: ipopum Re: Hell, I'm still here - 09/29/22
Thanks for checking in and letting some of us know that you are here. Always liked your writing.
Posted By: hatari Re: Hell, I'm still here - 10/01/22
[quote=7mmJRS]Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm still alive and well and still writing. I'm still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI magazine, Field Editor for RIFLE SHOOTER, and a regular contributor to BALLISTIC and AMERICAN FRONTIERSMAN (I do the food/wine stuff for the latter, and both food/wine and gun stuff for BALLISTIC. At 82 years young I'm still driving the Lambo like it's stolen.[quote=7mmJRS]
Do you still have a taste for Amarone or are you on to another taste treat?

I’m still drinking Bordeaux I got when the dollar was strong and the franc was weak (and Bordeaux unknown to Russian and Chinese oligarchs)🍷🍷
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Hell, I'm still here - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I really like my Pre-64 M-70 with Krieger barrel, Jewel trigger in a Boyd Jon Sundra Classic stock. I glassed and free floated it. I finished it and had Errol Case in MO checker it in a classic pattern. That gun started off as a shot out .243 Win. It's come a long way since then.

That stock has just about ideal ergonomics, superior, IMO, to their current "classic" offering.

DF

Loved the look of them. Waited far too long to get one, so I haven't. Boyd's version is not like Jon's at all.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 10/02/22
Originally Posted by shootinurse

DF

Loved the look of them. Waited far too long to get one, so I haven't. Boyd's version is not like Jon's at all.
Not even close.

DF
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Hell, I'm still here - 10/05/22
Great to hear that Sir! I always loved reading your articles!

Ron
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
Jon asked me to post this picture.

Suave dude, down to his matching Lambo orange shoes...

But, he's always been an erudite and knowledgeable guy.

If you don't have a copy of his book, "Hell, I'm Still Here", get a copy.

Very well done, of course, and a play on Elmer's "Hell, I Was There".

DF

Posted By: bowmanh Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
Good to hear you're still writing and doing a lot of cool things!
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
Jon asked me to post this picture.

Suave dude, down to his matching Lambo orange shoes...

But, he's always been an erudite and knowledgeable guy.

If you don't have a copy of his book, "Hell, I'm Still Here", get a copy.

Very well done, of course, and a play on Elmer's "Hell, I Was There".

DF

Great pic!
Posted By: southtexas Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
JRS: Can't remember: What was the cartridge that you designed? 7mmJRS? Or something like that...
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
Whoever did the orange wrap on that Lambo, knew what he was doing.

Looks great.

DF
Posted By: Partsman Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
The next James Bond!
Posted By: 338Rules Re: Hell, I'm still here - 11/05/22
JRS

All too typical of our corporate finance world !

Your explanation of the sweet spot occupied by the 7mm was most enlightening.

Cheers !
© 24hourcampfire