Home
When was this rifle made?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Is there a letter prefix in the sn?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Is there a letter prefix in the sn?
Yes, it is C.
XI is December ‘88. The “K” is an inspector or the stamp of the one that assembled it.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
XI is December ‘88. The “K” is an inspector or the stamp of the one that assembled it.
Yep, fairly early C gun.
Do a search for Remington date code. Some good stuff.

Thanks.
Do a search for Remington date code. Some good stuff.
I did and I wasn't sure. The symbol before the K is the anchor? The website showed a number for the inspector's mark and not a letter.
IIRC the employees used numbers, letters or symbols.

The different procedures (magnaflux, proof firing, etc) were marked at a specific place by the employee that performed that procedure. E.G. the REP in an oval stands for Remington English Proof and is on the right side of the barrel. I think magnafluxing is stamped on the right too.
Barm, Try this ... https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remington-barrel-date-codes-date-of-manufacture-2164.html
IIRC the employees used numbers, letters or symbols.

The different procedures (magnaflux, proof firing, etc) were marked at a specific place by the employee that performed that procedure. E.G. the REP in an oval stands for Remington English Proof and is on the right side of the barrel. I think magnafluxing is stamped on the right too.

Thanks. When I found the Remington Society info it only showed a number for an example, so I incorrectly assumed it had to be a number for the employee.

Thank you for the link.
I have a 700 without a letter preceding the s/n 568xxx. Does that mean anything?
George
There was a time Aug ‘99-Oct ‘01 that they didn’t date stamp rifles but that serial number (568xxx)would have been much earlier than that, maybe ‘68-‘69 time frame. Sometimes the stamps are below the wood line or on the bottom, especially rifles from the custom shop.
© 24hourcampfire