Home
I could not find a topic header to list the question, so I'll post here. Have any tried Ostermayer Jagd Gun Stock Finish, If so, what are your opinions?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Tung oil
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Tung oil

This Ostermayer Jagd supercedes tung oil by a mile. I'm looking for any who have tried the product as I have and seeking their opinions.
I like their Weiner wagon and baloney......
Originally Posted by huntsman22

* Based upon your assertions, what evidence do you have?

Ingredients:

Mixture of the highest quality oils
Without dye
Without silicones, fats and petroleum products
Contains high quality lignin and protective terpenes
There’s a warning on the label about the possibility of spontaneous combustion of the rags you use. Believe it, I’ve seen it with other oil finishes.
I'd love to have some Ostermayer gun oil,
That is what I'd truly like to see,
'Cause if I had some Ostermayer gun oil,
All my guns would be in love with me!
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Tung oil

This Ostermayer Jagd supercedes tung oil by a mile. I'm looking for any who have tried the product as I have and seeking their opinions.

Please share your experience with it.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You think he missed it? 😁
Whoooshhh......

Poor synoptic, it'll be WEEKS before he gets that Oscar Mayer jingle outta his head......
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There’s a warning on the label about the possibility of spontaneous combustion of the rags you use. Believe it, I’ve seen it with other oil finishes.

Not at all uncommon with any oil finish.
Upon purchasing Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish through Amazon, there were no directions given and/or to follow. The first coat was applied and wiped down within four hours. I could not determine any significant difference. Upon applying the second coat, I allowed the Ostermayer JAGD Oil to sit for seven (7) days.

I decided at that point to rub or polish the AAA French Walnut on a “New” Winchester Super Grade chambered in a .308 caliber. Prior to polishing, I touched the surface with my finger and moved it slightly across the wood. I found the oil to be somewhat tacky (gummy). As I proceeded to polish, I noticed the process of polishing was very difficult: leaving smudge marks with immaterial staining. Again, it was more than a task to polish the French walnut. I will state that the finish on the gunstock was a matte or satin finish (Original): ‘Right from Winchester’. My intentions were to bring out more of the grain, trying to enhance the French walnut to a sheen. Any oil will bring out the grain, so this facet was irrelevant. I did not really care for the properties contained within the aforesaid product. In applying, if one applies the Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish and wipes it down within three to four hours, there is no issue with the above. However, I made mention in my initial synopsis, I found the Ostermayer JAGD Gun Stock Finish/Oil to be slightly tacky. Actually, that should have been a signal as to how the product may perform. I dislike tacky or pasty oils to apply on firearms, especially collectible items. Some may not pay attention to such facts, yet they are imperative in keeping expensive wood in its ‘original’ condition.

Actually, I exchanged the product due to the exterior of the can having two dents (dings) with intentions of ordering another. However, after seeing the results after seven (7) days, I have no intention, none of ordering any more of the Ostermayer JAGD Gun stock Finish. The company refers to the Ostermayer Jagd as “Gun Stock Finish” not oil. In this respect, the terminology is somewhat vague and ambiguous as exactly what the product should be used for. Can we recommend this product? That is entirely the choice of any to try the product, ‘at their own discretion’.

* After posting this comment, Amazon dropped the price $2.00.
I'm using the Howard's, have not seen anything better.

Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Tung oil

Please share your experience with it.

See # 17842197
Sounds like a product for raw wood, not for previously finished sealed wood. And that Howard Feed stuff is liquified with mineral oil, a wood contaminant. Once that is in the wood good luck getting anything to adhere.
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Sounds like a product for raw wood, not for previously finished sealed wood. And that Howard Feed stuff is liquified with mineral oil, a wood contaminant. Once that is in the wood good luck getting anything to adhere.

That is what I thought, yet Ostermayer stated it could be used for 'finished sealed wood'. Apparently, that is not true with the test I conducted. I'm using the Howard's on "sealed finished wood (French Walnut), so the oil is staying on the surface as protection. I cannot see Howard's or any other oil as a detriment sitting on a finished wood surface.
I'd like to know what is in that Ostermayer product. It sounds like just a tung oil type stuff. Which can be gotten a lot cheaper.
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I'd like to know what is in that Ostermayer product. It sounds like just a tung oil type stuff. Which can be gotten a lot cheaper.

The properties are not listed. It does state in general what the product 'does not' have and a few vague ingredients: "terpenes" and "lignin", whatever those are. Actually, the oil/finish smells like shoe polish, turpentine, and fragrant pine.

The Only Things I Could See:

https://ostermayer-jagd.com/products/waffenpflege-schaftoel?logged_in_customer_id=&lang=en

* I may have spoken incorrectly here: #17830131. Knowing not the properties nor its usage, I stated the Ostermayer supersedes (surpasses) Tung Oil by a mile. In this respect, my words were incorrect.

Supplement:

I believe that the reviews of Ostermayer JAGD on Amazon are fake/fictitious for ‘Amazon’ is fulfilling the product. Naturally, Amazon does not wish to have negative reviews on something they’re “fulfilling”. I posted my initial review to Amazon, as the 'review' did not post to Amazon nor did Amazon notify me that the review “was not posted”: according to their policy. I believe the content of the Ostermayer Jagd smelling like shoe polish, turpentine, and fragrant pine were a flag to them. As stated earlier, I posted a second review which Amazon allegedly accepted, yet did not inform me that the review was posted. Anytime a positive review is posted, Amazon always notifies the person writing the review. This is commonplace with Amazon as I have been conducting business with them for at least ten years. *Again, as Amazon accepted my second review, they have lowered the price of Ostermayer JAGD to $2.00.
For someone just looking to spruce up their stock a bit, the Gunslick wax works well. Safe for wood and metal. I rub some on my Citori now and then after shooting clays. That’s oil finished and sweaty hands take a toll. Spiffs it right up.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For someone just looking to spruce up their stock a bit, the Gunslick wax works well. Safe for wood and metal. I rub some on my Citori now and then after shooting clays. That’s oil finished and sweaty hands take a toll. Spiffs it right up.

I've heard of it. I was looking for a wood preservative. It makes no mention of wood, yet appears to be impressive. I use Breakfree 'Collector' on all my metal. Is this the suff you're speaking of (Pic Inserted) ? By the way, who's the girl in your avatar, quite stunning.

https://www.bereli.com/gunslick-ultra-lube-gun-oil-2-25-ounce-85002/

* I just ordered some from Amazon for GP. Intentions are to try on metal. There is no mention of wood, none at all. I paid $5.59 for 2.5 ou.

I use Ballistol gun oil on everything.Steel to bare or coated wood.Can be used as a bore cleaner or The Krauts claimed it to be good for stomach problems.Velvet wood oil is probably about the best oil I have ever used for touching up stocks or finishing bare wood.I have used Tung oil,Danish oil,boiled lindseed oil and nothing touches Velvet.
Old post...

I have been using this for a couple years.
Mostly on other things besides gun stocks. Like hammer and hatchet handles and its holding up really well.

Couple days ago I began a re contour and finish on a Boyds laminated stock.

Im liking the color and oil like finish. Im currently @ 6 coats with no build up. (Coats @ about 6 hours ea)

Previously I needed to allow days for finish to set. O thats what Im at here Im gonna allow this to set now for a goodly time. (Week or so) then come back with OOOO Wool then tack cloth and final coat and see how it looks. So far Im pleased.

CW
© 24hourcampfire