Home
Posted By: woodmaster81 Powered case trimmers - 12/18/22
After several years, my Frankford case trimmer finally gave up the ghost. Naturally, it died in the middle of prepping cases for a prairie dog shoot next summer. I'm now in the market and looking for recommendations for a new one that hopefully will be as easy to use as my old one.

I would invest in a WFT but I have several cases that are obsolete and likely not available from Crow River. Plus the cost to get my main ones would be higher than I can afford at the moment.

I've looked at the Lyman trimmer that is similar to the Frankford but I would like something a little easier on the thumb. Plus, I think I decreased the Frankford's life being a bit aggressive on the case.

Ideally, price would be under $300 but am able to go double if necessary. I can get by in the short term with my drill powered Lyman but it is kind of awkward to use and takes up a lot of room. It works well for smaller batches but it takes a bit of time when trimming a couple thousand or more 223 cases.

Thanks for any suggestions, I hope to get back to prepping after Christmas.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
After several years, my Frankford case trimmer finally gave up the ghost. Naturally, it died in the middle of prepping cases for a prairie dog shoot next summer. I'm now in the market and looking for recommendations for a new one that hopefully will be as easy to use as my old one.

I would invest in a WFT but I have several cases that are obsolete and likely not available from Crow River. Plus the cost to get my main ones would be higher than I can afford at the moment.

I've looked at the Lyman trimmer that is similar to the Frankford but I would like something a little easier on the thumb. Plus, I think I decreased the Frankford's life being a bit aggressive on the case.

Ideally, price would be under $300 but am able to go double if necessary. I can get by in the short term with my drill powered Lyman but it is kind of awkward to use and takes up a lot of room. It works well for smaller batches but it takes a bit of time when trimming a couple thousand or more 223 cases.

A WFT2 setup would likely come in well under your budget.

After you get a new one, let us know how it compares to the Frankford Arsenal. That is what I use and don't have any issues with it at all. You must prep a ton of brass/year. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it still runs like a top. At most, I'll run 500 pcs of brass through it per week. Most times about 2-300 pcs.. However, I have ran batches as big as 1,200 pcs a couple times. I like it as a case prep center, but do realize there are other trimmers out there that are quicker. Now, whether those are going to be easier on your hands and "thumb". I don't know. I hear you on that, but I highly doubt you'll find one that is totally easy on the hands/thumb. Let us know though, I'm sure you are going to get a schidt load of suggestions, but how much better are they going to be than the FA?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Maybe 7-8 years ago I lucked into a used Gracey trimmer, which came with the "shell-holders" for several of the varmint cases I loaded. Back then I was shooting a LOT of ground squirrels and prairie dogs, and using a Giraud cutter (which also fits in the Gracey) it trimmed AND chamfered cases faster than anything e;se I've ever tried--and I have tried a bunch, including some suggested here as just as fast, and actually timed the output.

Of course, a Giraud would trim as fast, but this Gracey happened to be there at the right time. Don't load as much "burrowing rodent" ammo as I did back then, but that's partly because it was easy to trim so much brass so fast that I ended up loading ammo that I'm still shooting....
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

After you get a new one, let us know how it compares to the Frankford Arsenal. That is what I use and don't have any issues with it at all. You must prep a ton of brass/year. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it still runs like a top. At most, I'll run 500 pcs of brass through it per week. Most times about 2-300 pcs.. However, I have ran batches as big as 1,200 pcs a couple times. I like it as a case prep center, but do realize there are other trimmers out there that are quicker. Now, whether those are going to be easier on your hands and "thumb". I don't know. I hear you on that, but I highly doubt you'll find one that is totally easy on the hands/thumb. Let us know though, I'm sure you are going to get a schidt load of suggestions, but how much better are they going to be than the FA?

Which FA are you using?
Posted By: g5m Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
The Dillon works well.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Which FA are you using?

I'm using their platinum prep center, I believe.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
I decided I was old enough and deserved a powered case trimmer to ward off carpal tunnel syndrome. So I kind've retired my Forsters and bought the new Lyman powered trimmer. The jury is still out but so far I like it.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
RCBS TrimPro with 3 in 1 cutter powered by Dewalt.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
I'm fixing to sell to RCBS power trimmers one of them has a universal shell holder one of them has all the plates of shell holder types for three-way cutters total and a whole [bleep] of pilots. going to turn this all into one Henderson trimmer....
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Thanks MD, I would love to stumble across either of those on the used table but so far they have avoided me. I really like the idea of chamfering and deburring while trimming. I've been turning as many components into ammo as I can when I can to lessen the chore later. I was about half way through the third 50 caliber ammo can of 223 brass when the trimmer gave out.

BSA and Paul,

I too, have the Platinum case trimmer prep tool. The problem is the trimmer freezes up if anything more than slight pressure is applied. Turn it off and it starts right back up. I took it apart and it appears some of the teeth are rounded. Not positive about that but it kind of looks that way.

I've kind of abused the machine over the years, I've been known to trim some reformed cases to size when it may have been better to use a saw or grinder. Oops. I don't do marathon trimming sessions much but I will set up the trimmer and trim a few handfuls every time I let the dogs out, feed them, or whenever I'm in the basement. That can add up to a bunch in a short time.

I've looked at the WFT but I have something like 50 rifle cartridges I load to one degree or another with many of them not likely being available. At $70 apiece that would be cost prohibitive even if I could get it for the obsolete ones.

Thanks for the ideas, so far I'm either going to try the Lyman due to cost or maybe the RCBS as it also chamfers and deburs while trimming. I'm not definite on those choices and can be easily swayed to something else.
Posted By: cotis Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Does the motor stall out under this pressure, or can you still here it running? If running it sounds like a gear problem you described, if motor stops it could be worn brushes against the motor commutator.

https://www.topdealsonline.shop/blogs/blog/when-to-change-your-power-tool-carbon-brushes
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Definitely a gear problem as the motor keeps running with a high pitched squeal/whine. Some of the teeth appear to be worn though I did not take the machine apart enough to get a detailed look.
I probably could find new gears and repair it but I kind of want a different trimmer. I'm not buying guns like I did so have to find a different outlet for my excess cash.lol
Thanks MD, I would love to stumble across either of those on the used table but so far they have avoided me. I really like the idea of chamfering and deburring while trimming. I've been turning as many components into ammo as I can when I can to lessen the chore later. I was about half way through the third 50 caliber ammo can of 223 brass when the trimmer gave out.

BSA and Paul,

I too, have the Platinum case trimmer prep tool. The problem is the trimmer freezes up if anything more than slight pressure is applied. Turn it off and it starts right back up. I took it apart and it appears some of the teeth are rounded. Not positive about that but it kind of looks that way.

I've kind of abused the machine over the years, I've been known to trim some reformed cases to size when it may have been better to use a saw or grinder. Oops. I don't do marathon trimming sessions much but I will set up the trimmer and trim a few handfuls every time I let the dogs out, feed them, or whenever I'm in the basement. That can add up to a bunch in a short time.

I've looked at the WFT but I have something like 50 rifle cartridges I load to one degree or another with many of them not likely being available. At $70 apiece that would be cost prohibitive even if I could get it for the obsolete ones.

Thanks for the ideas, so far I'm either going to try the Lyman due to cost or maybe the RCBS as it also chamfers and deburs while trimming. I'm not definite on those choices and can be easily swayed to something else.

Thanks for the explanation. I always eyeball the 3 way cutters. I like the idea of trimming and chamfering at the same time as well. Keep us posted on what you end up with. If it's better than the Frankford Arsenal, I'd be willing to give it a try as well. Good luck with your decision.
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Forster case trimmer with power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutter attachment works great for large jobs.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
I’ll point out that the WFT2 uses one main trimmer body with different shouldered inserts for various shoulder geometries. No need to spend $70 per chambering, and those that share shoulder geometry use the same insert.

https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/WFT2-Trimmer-&-Chambers-c31512829
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Forster case trimmer with power drill adapter and 3 in 1 cutter attachment works great for large jobs.

With all the poor corded drills out there that aren't being used, that would be a good way to put them back to good use. I'll be most of us here have a corded drill that they don't use anymore..
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
+10 and Lyman makes a power drive cutter for theirs also
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Drill press with a Forster collet case holder and three way cutter. Gracey and Giraud and perhaps others would be faster but the drill press, especially with a foot switch, is fast enough and easy on the hands - an important point as well as handy to have around for the money. I don't have three way cutters for all possible cartridges but the available piloted single cutter means there's nothing I can't trim and cheaply. I also have a couple of Forster bases and a deluxe micrometer L.W. Wilson with assorted case holders for low volume easy setup. The drill press is very good for 5.56 range scrap that after full length, even small base, resizing needs a lot of metal removed.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
THIS.....is what I use as well.

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: 163bc Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Best money I ever spent on a piece of reloading equipment was on a Giraud trimmer.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Giraud>Henderson>WFT>RCBS Powered unit with tri-cut>your choice with a drill.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
I sold my Forster lathe type trimmer and bought these. Trims, chamfers and bevels all at once. Couldn't be easier or less expensive.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011223336?pid=742287
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016216580?pid=416162
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
I chuck a Crow WFT into my drill press. I have trimmed thousands of .223 with the Crow trimmer. I also use my drill press to chamfer cases after they have been trimmed.

kwg
Posted By: horse1 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
+10 and Lyman makes a power drive cutter for theirs also

I have the Lyman Universal w/an old "junk drawer" corded drill. It works well.

I had a Dillon with a bunch of trim dies that I ended up never using and sold it. I didn't want to have to chamfer a bunch of flat-trimmed cases.

Within the last year I bought a Giraud which I much prefer because you only have to handle each case once. Length and both inside/outside chamfers all done @ the same time.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/19/22
You have a drill?

Giraud Tri-way.
http://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html
Posted By: horse1 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Unless you're only doing a couple cartridges, their powered version is less expensive and more user friendly in the long run IMO.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
I bought a Lyman case trim express last year & really like it.

I've only cut about 1500 cases on it so far but's been great.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
horse1 has it correctly.

Started out with an RCBS crank model with collets and pilots, which worked great when I didn't load more than 50 cases at a time. But even then, I noticed it was not a quick job and was rather labor-intensive. (Read that as I didn't like to do it.)

Then came an M1 Garand and loading 200 cases (minimum) at a time. Enter the WFT and an RCBS Trimmate. I noticed that it was not a dreadful job to trim, chamfer, and deburr those 200 (and sometimes more) cases. Then an AR entered the picture, same answer. WFT and the handy-dandy Trimmate. I also bought extra batteries for the drill motor....

I liked that method so much I bought WFTs for rifles I normally did not load and shoot in quantity.

Then came Giraud tri-ways. The Trimmate was going unused because I was also using wet tumbling. I come and go on that, other than cleaning the primer pockets and the inside of cases, I see no real advantage and it can be a lot of labor, so the Trimmate stays in occasional use.

Now, I have a Giraud machine with conversion kits for different cartridges. I just did 50 .30-30 cases in a very small fraction of the time normally taken.

I shoulda went straight to the Giraud when I got into the M1 thing.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by 163bc
Best money I ever spent on a piece of reloading equipment was on a Giraud trimmer.
+ 1

Dave
Posted By: 1234 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
have had a number of trimmers . lyman brass smith is the best so far. fast set-up and change over.

Ed
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I sold my Forster lathe type trimmer and bought these. Trims, chamfers and bevels all at once. Couldn't be easier or less expensive.

I have a bunch of those in my cart at Midsouth, but need a little more info on them. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by horse1

Unless you're only doing a couple cartridges, their powered version is less expensive and more user friendly in the long run IMO.
How so?
I do my cases in batches of 1,000 at time. I just prop the drill on something so I'm not holding it up the entire time.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Mine was pretty worn from use. I bought another on E-bay. Took the handle off the old one and put a battery-operated drill on it for when I form cases that need serious trimming. I use the battery operated on to get close and switch to the "new" one for finish work.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22

How so?
I do my cases in batches of 1,000 at time. I just prop the drill on something so I'm not holding it up the entire time.
I'm thinking he meant just a couple different kinds of cartridges.
Out of curiosity on the Giraud Power Trimmer, to avoid adjusting between cartridges does one need to buy the cutter head with blade and case holder for each?
Posted By: devnull Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Buying my Giraud was the absolute best money spent on my bench. That is if you value your time.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Out of curiosity on the Giraud Power Trimmer, to avoid adjusting between cartridges does one need to buy the cutter head with blade and case holder for each?
I do not own a Giraud so somebody May correct me. but to my understanding they recommend buying a new cutter head for each caliber you're going to trim , that's the way Henderson is and that's the easiest way RCBS 3-way cutters are set up the easiest.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
I use the FA Platinum prep center too, & it works very well for my needs & eliminates multiple handling of the same case & will normal trim stock, it's fast enough to suit me.

I typically will stage different caliber brass such that I run as large a lot of a given caliber as possible so as to minimize the setups on the trimmer & will run at most 300 or so on any given day, if I have a large lot of brass like 5.56, I'll leave it set up for days on that round or until I get a fairly lot finished.................reloading is more work than fun anymore, just a necessary evil & a means to an end.

MM
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
I don't want to hijack this, but I have an additional question. I need to trim about .140" off of 308 cases for a 375 Raptor. My Lyman Universal powered unit was gonna be too slow so I got the Brass Smith model. The Brass Smith model is faster and more accurate (in terms of length), but still I anguish in trimming 500 cases that much shorter. Will this tool (http://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html) make the job go faster?? Easier?? Yes, I have several unloved corded drills.
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I don't want to hijack this, but I have an additional question. I need to trim about .140" off of 308 cases for a 375 Raptor. My Lyman Universal powered unit was gonna be too slow so I got the Brass Smith model. The Brass Smith model is faster and more accurate (in terms of length), but still I anguish in trimming 500 cases that much shorter. Will this tool (http://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html) make the job go faster?? Easier?? Yes, I have several unloved corded drills.
Have you looked into a mini chop saw and jig instead? I've not used one so can't comment.
Posted By: hanco Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22
RCBS with adapter and drill
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/20/22

That's what I've done for years with a Forster lathe type trimmer. Works just fine.

Just get the right height, turn the drill upside down, activate the trigger with your thumb & just slide it back & forth to trim & remove the case. Works fine, other than having to handle the same case multiple times for trimming, deburring & cleaning primer pockets.

And that's why I like the FA better.

MM

Cutter heads can be adjusted for each caliber. I do .30-30, .308, .30-06, .300 Ham'r with one cutter head, changing the case holders for each cartridge. I also have cutter heads adjusted for other diameters, changing the specific case holders within that diameter as needed.

I also put lock rings on the case holders, reducing set-up time.
The mini chop-saw is popular with the .300 blk crowd, quite handy in making .300 Ham'r, too.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
The other factor in all of this is how much you have to handle each case to get everything accomplished--which takes time. And a LOT of handloaders don't analyze case-handling time in their technique, whether in trimmed, sizing, seating bullets, or whatever.

Which is one reason I eventually bought a used Gracey--though would have been happy with a Giraud as well. When set up for a certain case (which doesn't take much time) I have a bowl full of sized cases close to the "insertion" end of the tool, and an identical bowl on the far side of the first, just about touching. It takes VERY little time to pick up a sized case, push it into the spinning cutter, and drop it into the second bowl, because my fingers only move a few inches.

This can also be accomplished with a single-case drill-trimmer--and I have several different brands. But each costs a LOT more than the array of much simpler shell-holders I got with the used Gracey, which happened to include the cartridges I primarily use for my high-volume varmint shooting.

Time-and-motion studies are a common (even essential) part of modern manufacturing. Yet many handloaders never really analyze how much time they spend on each step--partly because many handloaders actually prefer to spend MORE time the loading room, to get away from what some call "ordinary life." But I have been handloading for a considerable part of my living for over 30 years, and long ago started actually timing stuff. I also own several types of power trimmers, and some mentioned here in various posts are pretty slow compared to what can be accomplished with others.
Thanks ldholton and Vic.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The other factor in all of this is how much you have to handle each case to get everything accomplished--which takes time. And a LOT of handloaders don't analyze case-handling time in their technique, whether in trimmed, sizing, seating bullets, or whatever.

Which is one reason I eventually bought a used Gracey--though would have been happy with a Giraud as well. When set up for a certain case (which doesn't take much time) I have a bowl full of sized cases close to the "insertion" end of the tool, and an identical bowl on the far side of the first, just about touching. It takes VERY little time to pick up a sized case, push it into the spinning cutter, and drop it into the second bowl, because my fingers only move a few inches.

This can also be accomplished with a single-case drill-trimmer--and I have several different brands. But each costs a LOT more than the array of much simpler shell-holders I got with the used Gracey, which happened to include the cartridges I primarily use for my high-volume varmint shooting.

Time-and-motion studies are a common (even essential) part of modern manufacturing. Yet many handloaders never really analyze how much time they spend on each step--partly because many handloaders actually prefer to spend MORE time the loading room, to get away from what some call "ordinary life." But I have been handloading for a considerable part of my living for over 30 years, and long ago started actually timing stuff. I also own several types of power trimmers, and some mentioned here in various posts are pretty slow compared to what can be accomplished with others.

Exactly & right on target about minimizing number of times to handle a case...............& I've been in manufacturing all my life.

And that's why I'm using the FA center...............couple aspects of it are not exactly ideal, IMO, like the RPM of of the unit, & the fact that the cutter is not carbide, but that's likely a cost issue.

MM
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
And the price is pretty good--also a factor!
FWIW,
I bought the Giraud .50 BMG in the summer of 2008. I've never regretted the purchase. I certainly did not NEED the big unit, however, I paid less then than what the current regular unit runs now PLUS a few case holders. Oddly I also came across an estate sale and bought six or seven Wilson Ultimate Trimmers(SS Micrometer). All but one were completely stainless and all were mounted to a Sinclair Wilson Delrin Base(now unavailable). I need to put them up for sale as they are in the way. That said I am keeping the three the Ti coated cutter. To say nothing of the extra steel cutters. I did not know the man, however, he really liked his Wilsons... I like both and use both as volume dictates the setup...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In your position, I would look hard at a Giraud's base unit. That being said the Tri-Way Trimmer could be ideal. I just try not to paint myself into a corner...

Regards, Matt.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

I have a bunch of those in my cart at Midsouth, but need a little more info on them. Thanks for the post.
I have one for .223. The problem with .223 is they are too short for the cutters to make solid contact with the brass. I use a Crow WFT for the .223 but I have to chamfer the inside of the case mouth and clean up the outside edges after it's been trimmed. Although, the Lee does leave a really nice inside and outside chamfer on the brass. I want a Lee trimmer die for the .308. I keep forgetting to put it on my wish list at Midway. Mine is also the hand crank. I give the crank 8 or 10 turns and the brass is finished at the mouth. It's a 2 step solution but it does work.

kwg
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I've never used the Giraud to make other cases.

I use a RCBS Trim Pro with the 3-way cutter and a power drill to cut down cases like you are doing. The best part of the Trim Pro is it's shell holder. It's fairly quick because all you do is lever a handle and slip the case rims in/out of the shell holder.

I only do a max of about 100 cases at a time, so it's not hatefully slow. I'm taking off ~.2".
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
I use a RCBS Trim Pro with the 3-way cutter and a power drill to cut down cases like you are doing. The best part of the Trim Pro is it's shell holder. It's fairly quick because all you do is lever a handle and slip the case rims in/out of the shell holder.

I only do a max of about 100 cases at a time, so it's not hatefully slow. I'm taking off ~.2".

Thanx, I'll look into that.

Have you looked into a mini chop saw and jig instead? I've not used one so can't comment.

Only for the 300 Whisper. I don't know if .140" is enough to get a clean cut with a chop saw.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by ldholton

How so?
I'm thinking he meant just a couple different kinds of cartridges.

Correct, what I should have said was unless you're only trimming just a couple of chamberings.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/21/22
Wthanks for all her suggestions and comments.

I just purchased the Lyman power trimmer even though it appears to be very similar to the Frankford trimmer I had to replace. Part of the reason is it should work for the obsolete cartridges I load but the over riding reason was cost. I found it on the "odds and ends" table of a gun shop for the princely sum of $35.

Being the weather is turning nasty for the next couple days, this unit will get me back in business to finish off prairie dog rounds. It also takes the pressure off of having to make a decision in somewhat of a haste. I'm still looking at the Giraud, it might be a future option for 223 though I'll have to make room on the bench for a drill press. If there are cutters available for 22/250, 250 Savage, 300 Savage, and 35 Remington I might look much harder into one.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/22/22
I now have 300 plus cases through the Lyman Case Trim Express and can definitely say I don't care for it.

Like the Frankford Arsenal machine, one needs to press the case against the cutter manually. What makes the Lyman unit worse is one also has to push against a spring making it even harder on my thumb. It also seems to be harder to keep trimming cases to same length harder as I tended to press less as my thumb grew weak. PI'm going to see if I can mount it vertically so I can use my hand but that may cause issues with the brass shavings.

The motor is variable speed but I find it needs to be set at the max for decent trimming. An on/ off button would have worked as well. The motor is quiet though that probably is a result of its seeming to be underpowered. The cutting area seems rather fragile as it is mostly plastic and light metal. I'm not sure how well it will last under use.

Besides the quietness, I do like the ease of adjusting the cutting depth. It is much easier than the FA unit. I also like the Lyman's case bushings more than the FA inserts but the trade off is there is a little more case wobble with the Lyman unit.

All in all, I can say I'm glad I didn't pay full price for the Lyman. It will get me by for the moment but it will probably end up with my stepson. He loads 22/250 only and not much of that to begin with. The search for a replacement will resume.
Woodmaster, have you tried using the palm of your hand to keep pressure on the case as it's being trimmed? I do this a lot with my frankford arsenal. It saves on the thumb.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/23/22
Woodmaster, have you tried using the palm of your hand to keep pressure on the case as it's being trimmed? I do this a lot with my frankford arsenal. It saves on the thumb.

With the Lyman the case tends to spin in the hand unless it is gripped tightly, so using the palm isn't likely to work. I like the Lyman, but I don't trim huge volumes of cases in a single session. I do 40 or 50 and move on to another task.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Powered case trimmers - 12/23/22

To use my hand rather than thumb and fingers is why I'm looking to mount the Lyman vertically. In the horizontal position one needs fingers and thumb to hold and apply pressure on the case. The cutting portion is far less solid feeling than the FA unit which is one reason I don't care for the Lyman.

When I could I would use my hand with Frankfort but most of the time I needed to use my thumb and fingers. I might just try to find replacement gears for the Frankfort, the chamfer and debur heads have frozen up twice now. If I can, I wonder if a different tooth count would give me more torque and/or speed on the cutter? That might help with cutting speed as well as longevity. Or, I could learn to be less ham fisted when cramming the case into the cutter.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

With the Lyman the case tends to spin in the hand unless it is gripped tightly, so using the palm isn't likely to work. I like the Lyman, but I don't trim huge volumes of cases in a single session. I do 40 or 50 and move on to another task.

Sorry, I was asking about the Franford Arsenal. Even though it may have appeared I was asking about his new one. I know with the FA, that is how I do it, if my thumb and finger gets tired. The Frankford Arsenal supports the case well though..
© 24hourcampfire