Home
Posted By: RevMike Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Unopened. Think it's any good?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]img]
Posted By: mathman Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
That will depend on how it was stored. I've shot up a pound of what I believe to be similar vintage 3031 and it did extremely well in my 308 loads with 165/168 grain bullets.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Open it up and find out. I'm curious what kind of shape it's in.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
How much are ye askin' fer it?
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Originally Posted by mathman
That will depend on how it was stored.

Interesting that you ask. It was in a 1x1x3 foot steel powder magazine. There are two 4350s of that vintage, two in the current brown can, one 3031 as you see in the picture and two in the current reddish orange can, two three pound kegs (metal) of Green Dot (unopened) of the same vintage, a half pound of 4064, and - get this - five one pound cans of black powder, ffg and fffg. And there are a couple of odd half-empty cans of some other stuff. But here's the kicker: stuffed down amongst them were 500 209 shot-shell primers. Wow, talk about a bomb waiting to happen!

As for opening the cans to see if the powder is still any good, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. Open the 4350 I have on hand (about six months old) and compare the smell? Pour a little of each out and see how they compare? Dunno. I thought about mixing the old with some new, but am not sure that's a good idea since my current loads have all been loaded with the new stuff.

Dunno. I sure hate to use it as plant fertilizer if it's any good.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Open a can..if the can is nice and shinny inside, , I`ll give you 2 bucks apiece for the whole deal.

If oxidation has not occured inside the can, it`s fine. Shoot it, and consider yourself lucky you found it.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Dust and smell.

Only ever found bad powder once, and it wasn't real old.

Funny thing about old powder,
Everyone worries if it's bad. "Will it blow up my gun?)
But they will shoot ancient loaded rounds?

I have had bad Remington 243 ammo from the 80s.
Misfires, on inspection, their was corrosion at the bullet and primer edges.
I bought it new, stored in the living area of my homes the whole time.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Everyone worries if it's bad. "Will it blow up my gun?

Thanks, all. I suppose that's the real question: Even if the can is rotted away, but the powder hasn't turned to dust, what's the worst that can happen? I assume erratic pressure, but that's just an assumption on my part. I have nothing to back that up.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
Smell and rust colored dust.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Ancient Powder - 03/20/23
That’s some cool stuff!

I’d give it a sniff. If it still has the sweet powder smell like new stuff has I’d give it a shot!
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
First, does is smell right? Second, pour some powder on to a sheet of white paper to check for rust dust or anything else that shouldn't be there. If OK, work up your load.

FWIW, I still have some cans of the same vintage as your 3031 and it's fine.

405wcf
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Pour some on a sheet of paper.

Then if there is a rust colored powder it might be for the yard.

Look in the can and if there is rust on the inside it will be for the yard.

I have loaded some 3031 that had some rust colored powder and just added some graphite and it shot well.

Used it quick.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Have some fun with it. Just pour out a decorative design on your patio or driveway and light it off.

You will be reminded of your fun times for months
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Have some fun with it. Just pour out a decorative design on your patio or driveway and light it off.

You will be reminded of your fun times for months

Best to leave the holy black out of that pyrotechnic exercise!

The condition of the lids on those cans might make getting them open for inspection difficult.

Let us know what you find, Parson.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Bad powder loses power, doesn't gain it.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Pappy, I'll certainly report back. If this stuff is still good I'd really like to move it to a different container. The outside of the cans have a light coat of surface rust on the top. I know moving from one container to another can be dangerous, but no one gets near my loading stuff but me, so I might get away with it.

Just in case anyone is curious, here's how I came by it. The father of one of the fellows on our hunting lease died not too long ago. My friend doesn't reload but his dad certainly did. But the stuff is really old. In addition to this old powder, I have an assortment of equally ancient CCI and Remington primers (score!), several sets of reloading dies and bullets for things I don't load. I'm going to keep the .223 stuff, but I don't own a .30-06 - there's even what looks like the precursor to the Lee Loader - or a .44 RM or .357 Mag anymore, and I don't plan to ever reload .30-30 or 9mm since that stuff isn't all that hard to come by and I don't shoot mine often enough to warrant hedging against the next ammo shortage. Oddly enough, while there was a box of 7x57 reloads there weren't any dies or bullets (no matter about that; I have plenty). There's even a set of .32-20 dies, some brass, and some bullets. Ironically there's an article in the current Handloader all about the .32-20, but who shoots one of those anymore? And there are some other odds and ends - mostly old loaded ammo - in some very, very old Peter's boxes. The entire time I was sorting through all of this I was thinking to myself, "I'm going to make sure that by the time I've squeezed my last trigger I've gotten rid of all my stuff so my wife and daughter don't have to say, 'What the heck are we going to do with all of this'" Anyway, that's how I wound up with it.

Back to the powder. I'm heading to the lease this afternoon, but this week I'll pour it all out on white paper as suggested - I think Nifty-Two-Fifty did a post on rust left in a funnel - and check things out. If it's still good I'll use it up before I break into my new jug of IMR4350. If it's not, it'll go into the compost pile. What to do with the black powder is another question. I'm a little stumped. Hey.....

RM
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
I'am using the last of a Keg of 700 X that was purchased in the 1960's plus pounds of other powder that work just fine....
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Like others have said, the powder inside the cans will tell the tale. I've been tapping into a huge stash of handloading components accumulated (hoarded) by a child of The Depression who now spends his days reminiscing about his stint in the post-war Army and then working as a ranch hand in Wyoming right after WWII. Some of the powder cans looked exactly like the ones you pictured. Some of them, cans of 4064 made by DuPont in the 60's-70's looked worse. So far, no issues - I've shot a helluva lot of it and in the case of the 4064 I wish I had more of it, my .30-06's love it. There's even about a dozen unopened cans of various Herter's powders from the 60's that I'm very curious about but am a bit leery of only because data for that stuff is a little thin on the ground these days.

All of this hoard was stored in a decidedly un-climate controlled wooden garage, and has suffered three to six decades of wild fluctuations of temperature/humidity which only denizens here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay will understand. "Store in a cool dry place" warnings were completely ignored by the old gentleman, but knock on wood I haven't encountered any components yet that have gone sour.

As for "who shoots .32-20 anymore?" Well, I do and would surely love to have more components for it. Please keep me in mind if you decide to dispose of it!

Side note: there must be at least half a ton of #9 shot piled out there, the canvas bags rotting and the shot acquiring a lot of oxidation. I've tried reclaiming it by vibratory tumbling with fresh graphite powder mixed in, and that works but is time consuming and I don't shoot skeet anymore. I think I'm better off melting it into ingots instead.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by RevMike
Unopened. Think it's any good?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]img]

I have a friend that still has a supply of old surplus H-4831 and it is still good.

Has to be older than your powder
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
As for "who shoots .32-20 anymore?" Well, I do and would surely love to have more components for it. Please keep me in mind if you decide to dispose of it!

Do you have the April edition of Handloader?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ancient Powder - 03/21/23
Nope. I'll check it out but if it doesn't dispense more knowledge about .32-20's than what I've learned in 40+ years of messing with it I won't buy it!
Posted By: k22hornet Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
As others have said, check for dust on the powder.

I recently got about 10-12lbs of various powders, some of which are very old, from an estate. I dumped each can into a bowl and only one had dust on it. That can went onto the lawn. The rest will get used.

I have about 2lbs of AL-5 I am still using. I loaded shotgun ammo from that can back in the mid-60's. It works fine in 380, 38sp and 9mm.
Posted By: erickg Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had this sitting on the shelf for years, found it like this one day, had undergone some sort of reaction, orange stuff bubbled up, ate through the lid, smelled of ammonia.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Yeah, I probably wouldn't use that powder.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Update: I poured out each pound of powder on a white sheet of desk blotter paper, looking for any red/rust dust. Four pounds of IMR4350 and three pounds of IMR3031 all clean. Whoopee!! I didn't check the Norma 200 or the half can of IMR4064, but will if I ever use it. I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Like others have said, the powder inside the cans will tell the tale. I've been tapping into a huge stash of handloading components accumulated (hoarded) by a child of The Depression who now spends his days reminiscing about his stint in the post-war Army and then working as a ranch hand in Wyoming right after WWII. Some of the powder cans looked exactly like the ones you pictured. Some of them, cans of 4064 made by DuPont in the 60's-70's looked worse. So far, no issues - I've shot a helluva lot of it and in the case of the 4064 I wish I had more of it, my .30-06's love it. There's even about a dozen unopened cans of various Herter's powders from the 60's that I'm very curious about but am a bit leery of only because data for that stuff is a little thin on the ground these days.

All of this hoard was stored in a decidedly un-climate controlled wooden garage, and has suffered three to six decades of wild fluctuations of temperature/humidity which only denizens here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay will understand. "Store in a cool dry place" warnings were completely ignored by the old gentleman, but knock on wood I haven't encountered any components yet that have gone sour.

Side note: there must be at least half a ton of #9 shot piled out there, the canvas bags rotting and the shot acquiring a lot of oxidation. I've tried reclaiming it by vibratory tumbling with fresh graphite powder mixed in, and that works but is time consuming and I don't shoot skeet anymore. I think I'm better off melting it into ingots instead.

I’ve got two 32/20’s that I load for. A Smith M&P my grandfather bought about 100 years ago and a Ruger Buckeye convertible 😁
Posted By: Craigster Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by erickg

Had this sitting on the shelf for years, found it like this one day, had undergone some sort of reaction, orange stuff bubbled up, ate through the lid, smelled of ammonia.

Had the same thing happen with some IMR 4895 but had a strong bleach/chlorine smell.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by erickg

When you scrape the head off the top what's it like underneath?

Just kidding.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Ancient Powder - 03/22/23
Update: I poured out each pound of powder on a white sheet of desk blotter paper, looking for any red/rust dust. Four pounds of IMR4350 and three pounds of IMR3031 all clean. Whoopee!! I didn't check the Norma 200 or the half can of IMR4064, but will if I ever use it. I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.

Rev, find a group local that shoots BP. they will give you everlasting love for those cans of Holy Black.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I’ve got two 32/20’s that I load for. A Smith M&P my grandfather bought about 100 years ago and a Ruger Buckeye convertible 😁

A Browning M53 and a recently acquired Marlin M1894 that I'll shoot for the first time tomorrow.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Rev, find a group local that shoots BP. they will give you everlasting love for those cans of Holy Black.

Good idea. Everyone I know who hunts BP shoots those premeasured pellets (or whatever they are), but I'll ask one of the local game wardens. I expect he'll know.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
Unless it gets wet, BP doesn't go bad.
Posted By: Joe Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
Had a little over a half pound of surplus H-4831 go bad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
By coincidence I have some very old H4831 in cardboard containers Guessing from the 50's.

Opened one up yesterday....Looked like any H4831 I have used. Loaded up three rounds with 70 gr and 200MK. Velocities on my chrono averaged 2831.

Have six containers. Been stored in dry workroom.

I for sure will check any of it before using, but plan on using it.

Lefty
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
Dad bought a keg of H4831 as military surplus just after WW11.

He stored it in 1 gallon cans. I used up the last of in back in the mid 70's along with military surplus primers in wooden trays.

It worked just fine.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Ancient Powder - 03/23/23
I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.
Don't waste it, give it all away! GD & BD are fine for shotgun & pistol.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ancient Powder - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't need the Green Dot or Blue Dot, Pyrodex, or any of the black powder, so will probably turn the smokeless into fertilizer. Can the same be done with black powder.
Don't waste it, give it all away! GD & BD are fine for shotgun & pistol.

Good grief yes, don't waste it! Why would someone pour perfectly good powder on the lawn?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/25/23
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yeah, I probably wouldn't use that powder.

Where’s your spirit of adventure?😜

That’s some funky-lookin’ stuff. Not sure I even want that dumped on my lawn……
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/25/23
Dust and smell.

Well whippersnapper... 80s ain't old. I have shot and know a friend that still has some ww1 45 ammo. Worst part is now and then one won't go bang...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Ancient Powder - 03/25/23
This day and time dumping powder just because you have no use for it isn't smart at all. Any of that can be used for multiple purposes if the shortage and need is there.

FWIW I'm still running a case of Dupont black from 64.
Bought a big keg of surplus ball from the late 60 or early 70s. Its all still running just fine.

I just can't envision folks throwing away good powder. Primers or bullets. Heck I'd use 270 if I was forced to. And even with game kings if thats all I had.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ancient Powder - 03/25/23
Originally Posted by rost495
Dust and smell.

Well whippersnapper... 80s ain't old. I have shot and know a friend that still has some ww1 45 ammo. Worst part is now and then one won't go bang...

Oh hell, to me 80's is like yesterday. I acquired stupid amounts of 1920's-30's vintage Frankford Arsenal .30 ammo back when it was just dirt cheap old surplus ammo, before the "collectors" got their grubby mitts on the stuff. The stuff still goes bang reliably (God bless the old FA-70 primer), and 30's vintage FA brass is wonderful stuff to handload with afterward. (Just be sure to anneal first.) For that matter it hasn't been a terribly long time since I shot my last 1900-1905 vintage .30 Army (.30-40 Krag) ammo which all went bang too. I was curious to see if the vaunted Hudson tapered round nose 220 grain .30 Army bullet was all it was cracked up to be. (It was.)
© 24hourcampfire