Home
Posted By: Heym06 Replacement needed for imr 4350 - 03/28/23
I'm looking for a replacement powder, with a burn rate close to imr 4350. Any suggestions, of powders that are available in todays powder shortages! Thanks in advance. Someting that works well in, .243W, .243WSSM, .270W, .284W, .338-06AI. Also used in .375H&H. and .375-8mm Rem. What do you folks suggest.
Try A4350 or H4350.Those two will get you close enough with a little tweaking to get you similar results you were getting with IMR4350.They are not the same,but seem to run within about a grain of one another.
PV has 8 pounders of IMR4350 in stock.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/imr-4350/

A4350, H4350, A2700, N150, and N550 are roughly in the same ballpark, and those have all been in stock pretty regularly lately.
Powder Valley has 8# in stock right now. I've been able to pick up a few pounds in the last few months.
I recently switched to Ramshot Hunter due it's characteristics when reloading (ball powder)being a little more friendly in .260 Remington. I really like it a lot and it's usually a bit cheaper and easier to find. Take a look at it and see if it might fit your bill.
Thanks guys. I'll look at whats available of those suggested.
Heymo6,

Originally Posted by 351WSL
I recently switched to Ramshot Hunter due it's characteristics when reloading (ball powder)being a little more friendly in .260 Remington. I really like it a lot and it's usually a bit cheaper and easier to find. Take a look at it and see if it might fit your bill.

I would suggest the same--or Ramshot Big Game, for the same reasons.

Big Game is a little faster-burning than IMR4350, and Hunter a little slower.

Just checked a couple of websites, and the Ramshot powders are considerably less expensive.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Heymo6,

Just checked a couple of websites, and the Ramshot powders are considerably less expensive.

Hunter gets excellent velocity and accuracy in 30/06 with 165/168 grain bullets with lower pressures than other powders.
Heymo6,

I am a late comer to Ramshot but they are good so far. Plus they're less money than anything IMR or H these days.
Went through the same thing a while back and ended up grabbing H4350 (available) and like it even better.

Since then that too has been impossible to find so I went to Accurate 4350. Development doesn't seem as easy with it but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer due to shortages. While doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.
Heymo6,

You 'aint kidding.

Just stocked up locally on Big Game for a project and it worked out to less than $34 / lb.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Went through the same thing a while back and went to H4350 and like it even better. Since then that too has been impossible to find and went to Accurate 4350. It does not seem as amenable to creating loads but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer. I have been able to get two calibers pretty dialed in with it but while doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.

crazy.

I've generally found it easier to achieve tight groups with Sierra bullets.
I started with Ramshot TAC several years ago for 6.5 Grendel. It fit the bill in every way (costs$$, velocity, flows like water in a progressive press, pressures, etc.). I still burn some IMR, H, and WIN powder, but I find myself leaning more towards Ramshot and Shooters World stuff. I know Shooters World is hard to come by right now, but I stacked it pretty deep a few years ago. SW Long Rifle is pretty good if you find it, and really actually cheaper than Ramshot Powders. I've had good luck with it also in medium size cartridges. Their Tactical Rifle is supposed to be remarkable, but I have yet to test any. I love the Auto Pistol and Clean Shot!

These are the reasons that I suggested Ramshot Hunter earlier.
Originally Posted by Puddle
Heymo6,

You 'aint kidding.

Just stocked up locally on Big Game for a project and it worked out to less than $34 / lb.

That is the nice thing about that powder. $34 is a little steep. It's $31 at Scheels, and was $26/pound 2 days ago, when it was 15% off. That's when I would have been buying it. However, I'm stocked up, so I just bought CFE223 and StaBall 6.5 for $33-34/pound.
Originally Posted by mathman
Went through the same thing a while back and went to H4350 and like it even better. Since then that too has been impossible to find and went to Accurate 4350. It does not seem as amenable to creating loads but that could be because I also had to switch bullets from Sierra to Speer. I have been able to get two calibers pretty dialed in with it but while doing some tested I found in at least one sampling the load I had for Accurate 4350 gave me identical POI's to my load for H4381sc.

crazy.

Ditto. Switching to speers is just asking for inaccuracy. I'd use Hornady interlocks and Winchester power points way before going to Speers. Those worked well for indians though.. Just about as accurate too, in my experience.
I've generally been able to squeeze pretty good accuracy out of Speers 🤷‍♂️ I have had issues with a lot of them feeding like crap in various rifles, though.

I've used a lot of them as plinkers/steel dingers since they've always tended to be fairly cheap.
RL26 and Hornady Interlocks works in 243....if you can find it.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

crazy.

Ditto. Switching to speers is just asking for inaccuracy. I'd use Hornady interlocks and Winchester power points way before going to Speers. Those worked well for indians though.. Just about as accurate too, in my experience.
Hotcors have always shot well and performed just fine on deer for me.
RL-17 fits in there with the 4350s. My favourite for the 9.3 x 62, and now giving it a try in the .375 H&H as well as the .35 Whelen.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Either H4350 or W760 will fit the bill.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

crazy.

Hotcors have always shot well and performed just fine on deer for me.

It's true they can shoot very well, I've had them do so. The odds favor Sierras.
Originally Posted by dingo
Either H4350 or W760 will fit the bill.

Here in the U.S., Big Game costs less than either--and is very available.

It also has just about the same burn-rate as 760, but burns cleaner and is just about as temperature-resistant as H4350.
I'm using AA2700 in my .243. Accuracy seems to be good. I don't have a chrono so I don't know what the velocity is.

kwg
Like everything else...depending on availability...Norma 204 loads just about identically to H 4350. Have only used it so far with 243 Win, but same charge, same bullet, and same velocity. Got 8# from PV a few years ago when any 4350 was unobtanium.
Originally Posted by kwg020
I'm using AA2700 in my .243. Accuracy seems to be good. I don't have a chrono so I don't know what the velocity is.

kwg

Accurate 2700 is the same powder as W760 (and the "discontinued" H414) in a different canister.

crazy.

In 62 years of hand loading I've found Sierra bullets to be the most accurate bullets on average.
I’ve had good results with IMR 4451 in a couple of rifles.
Unfortunately IMR4451, while a great powder, has been discontinued, at least for the time being. This was announced several months ago.
Use one of the higher listed powders in your load book.
Hunter works excellent for me in 243Win W/85’s and 270 Win W/130-140gn bullets. It’s not on your list, but, another use for me is 75’s from a 1:8 22-250.
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Same powder as H 414 and W 760 in case ya didn't know...
Was in our local Sportsman Whorehouse this weekend...

Don't know the price ( as there were 2 guys waiting on 12 people who were there wanting to buy guns ), but they had H4350, IMR 4350 and AA 4350 all in stock.. If they had it in southern Oregon, its got to be available everywhere on the planet ( that's sarcasm)...
© 24hourcampfire