Home
Posted By: CreekChub Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23
Something new and bizarre to me followed me back from a pawn shop yesterday. It’s a Rem 700 marked “US” above the serial number. The receiver, one piece base, and bolt all have the SN on them and matching. McMillan woodland camo stock, Leupold 10x with mil-dots.

It looks like an M40a1, but from my reading over the past 12 hours it seems there have been lots of repro’s.

The SN starts with an “E” Prefix. I’ll get a picture or two up shortly.

Does anyone here follow or collect these rifles?

Much appreciated
Receiver clip-slotted ?
Posted By: mathman Re: Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23
Originally Posted by SquibLoadMatch
Reciever clip-slotted ?

Were the M40 receivers clip slotted?

I believe the Army M24 had the clip slot.
M40's were M24's were not

ETA- I'd bet the farm it's a clone. I guess it could be a legit m40A1 that was returned to CMP and later auctioned off, but I seriously doubt the owner would be the type to have to pawn his rifle later on down the road.
Thanks, faulty memory here.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23
Since the date of manufacture was removed when the barrel was changed out. I’m not sure when the M40’s were discontinued. The serial number dating isn’t exact but:

I’m on my phone rather than a computer so I can’t get you the thread address but this info from another 24 hour post might help

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Receiver clip-slotted ?

Yes it is
Thanks Bugger. I’m googling wildly and it takes me to lots of forums with lots of contradicting information.

Figured I’d heap myself upon the altar of those more knowledgeable.
A well executed clone could be a very nice piece indeed.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23

ETA- I'd bet the farm it's a clone. I guess it could be a legit m40A1 that was returned to CMP and later auctioned off, but I seriously doubt the owner would be the type to have to pawn his rifle later on down the road.

True, but someone's inheriting relative might be the type to pawn a treasure for a pittance.
Originally Posted by horse1

True, but someone's inheriting relative might be the type to pawn a treasure for a pittance.

Agree, but I doubt there's more than a dozen true M40A1's in the wild.

Originally Posted by mathman
A well executed clone could be a very nice piece indeed.

The Leupold isn't the correct scope, but that doesn't mean the rifle isn't a well done clone

Originally Posted by CreekChub
Thanks Bugger. I’m googling wildly and it takes me to lots of forums with lots of contradicting information.

Figured I’d heap myself upon the altar of those more knowledgeable.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/m40a1-build-guide.107/

If there is anyone that has a real m40A1 it's this guy

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/need-help-deciding-m40a1-build-configurations.7153492/
Lots of good info, especially that last link. Thanks.
I’d love to see some photos of your clone! I always wanted one myself, but haven’t ever been up to parting with the cash. Congratulations!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice rifle! Definitely a clone.
someone went to a lot of effort in cloning this thing! So the "US" marked receiver isn't real? Just someone etched the US on there and had the rear bridge machined for stripper clips?
also, I want to say thank you all again for the time and information your spending/sharing. I'm not a member on sniper's hide, long range only, etc etc, which may have been a better landing spot for this sort of query. I was a bit sheepish about joining some of the hyper specific forums on the topic as I truly know nothing.
Originally Posted by CreekChub
someone went to a lot of effort in cloning this thing! So the "US" marked receiver isn't real? Just someone etched the US on there and had the rear bridge machined for stripper clips?

Definitely not a real US Property M40. First giveaway is the E-series action, long shroud, and then the textured grip areas of the McMillan stock. The scope isn’t right, this rings aren’t right either. Most all real M40A1s were a smear pattern and slick in the grip areas. That said, this is still a VERY nice rifle.
The biggest giveaway is the stock. The barrel isn't correct as well. M40A1s used Schneider rough finished barrels. The Marines like the rough finish on the barrels because it held paint.

The mount looks like the correct mount but its a repo. That mount is still worth a good bit probably $300-$400

There are a few builders that specialize in correct clones. I used Raven Rifles https://ravenrifles.wordpress.com (he is now retired) because he's well respected in the clone community and lives close by smile I had a hard time with shipping some of the parts across the country to have mine built. My M40A1 was built on one of the return stocks.
Here is a pic from the other thread discussing m40s
Thanks man. I bit the bullet and signed up on M40rifle.com , those dudes seem pretty intense on the topic. There are apparently some "E" prefixed receivers used around 1996 according to the folks sharing information over there, but I'm with you. This is most likely a pretty well done clone. Now to grab a case of black hills match ammo and let it to what it does best.
dang. those look incredible. Not sure if the pictures I posted come through well or not, but the barrel is pebbly to the touch.

Is your bring back one of these "smear" stocks I've been reading about since last night?
It's a return stock but not one of the early smears.

As for the barrel rough finish, it looks like it was turned on a lathe with the feed rate sped up.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23
I have a little more than passing knowledge about the M40A1's. Fairly certain yours is a clone. The stock with the textured grip is not correct. Someone said they should mostly be smears. Not correct. Most were the later woodlands. Early smears are more uncommon and are sought out.
E prefix could be correct as receivers were bought in batches over the years to replace worn out or damaged receivers.
It was also mentioned that the bolt shroud should be the early short shroud. Not correct. The M40's used the short shroud of the period. I've not seen a short shroud M40A1.
Lastly, it's hard to tell from the photos, but the metal finish appears to be sprayed on (cerakote?). That would not be USMC finish.

Lots of information on various sites out there. Some of it accurate and some not.
Originally Posted by ChrisF
It was also mentioned that the bolt shroud should be the early short shroud. Not correct. The M40's used the short shroud of the period. I've not seen a short shroud M40A1.
Lastly, it's hard to tell from the photos, but the metal finish appears to be sprayed on (cerakote?). That would not be USMC finish.

You do realize the M40 actions were used when the Marines upgraded to the M40A1 ???

Yes, the OP’s rifle appears to be baked a on finish, it should be a black oxide finish.
Yes I do...but the shrouds were replaced either during the conversion or over the years.
I see the rifle at hand is marked 7.62 NATO.

Is it safe to assume the originals were chambered to this 'loose' spec to accommodate any suitable ammo, field conditions and so on?

You do realize the M40 actions were used when the Marines upgraded to the M40A1 ???
I have a cool story about an old M40 that was still in service as an A1 when it was realized that it was the M40 that was issued to Chuck Mawhinney. It happened to be in the shop for work, and was immediately pulled from service and ultimately restored to Vietnam War era condition (including replacing the current shroud with an early short shroud).
Thought you were inquiring about the M40 from the days of my youth. AKA the 106mm recoilless rifle. My answer would have been "yes".

I'll leave you to it.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone have M40 expertise? - 05/19/23
Nice rifle. Any pictures of the bottom metal?
Sure, I can take a picture of the bottom metal.

Thanks again, everyone.

Regarding the slotting for stripper clips, is this a pretty straightforward task for a gunsmith, or would there a be concise group of smiths and builders that offer such modifications? Trying to pin down who built it
Correct term is lug slotting. A1s were slotted for the lugs on the Unertl scope base. Hand fitted. Original M40 receivers that had stripper clip slots would have been converted to A1 specs. There's a diagram out there showing how to mill one in the receiver. Don't believe it's too difficult as long as you know what to do as a smith.

Several different barrel manufacturers were used during the lifetime of the A1. Since this is a clone it depends on what timeframe they were looking to clone. Schneider would have been late 90s time frame. Basically rebarrels at that time before being converted to A3s. I have two rifles built on Schneider barrels and one actual contract barrel I haven't used yet. There is a difference in all three in regards to the rough finish he left on them. One of the barrels I cerakoted and it still can be used as a file. The other two are not as rough. The barrel used on my A1 clone looks like yours. Still some roughness on the barrel but whatever was used as a coating covers it up. It is not black oxided as it should be.
© 24hourcampfire