Home
Hi,

I have a newer model 70 (less than 5 years old) in 270 with french walnut that is still scopeless and brand new sitting in the safe.

I have a 6x42 S&B LM PII P3 Mildot scope for it. (Still new in the box from a 24 hour campfire group purchase years ago).

What scope base and rings do I need to order for it? Like the right size and sku numbers if possible.

When I bring it to the LGS around here all they have are the leupold mounting system hanging on the walls and they want to go with that...

Thanks,

John
DNZ Game Reaper

SKU# 18600
What sorta mounts do you prefer?

I put the 1 piece Leupold Backcountry’s in my 6.5 PRC version of that rifle.
S&K rings and bases are classics.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

I was just reminded by a buddy about them.. They’re the cleanest set up.
Check Talley.
Originally Posted by beretzs
What sorta mounts do you prefer?

I put the 1 piece Leupold Backcountry’s in my 6.5 PRC version of that rifle.

One of my rifles has near mounts and rings and most of the others have talley light weights.

I guess with the gussied up supergrade I wanted something kind of pretty/classic but strong enough for the 30mm tube.

At the end of the day, I just want them to fit...
I’d likely go with the SK mounts myself. Those will look the best and they’re plenty strong. Not sure on height and bolt clearance but I’d bet mediums will work, if not lows since the 30mm version is a bit higher.
DD's are always a classic look on a nice Winchester model 70. No breaking the bank, rugged as hell and they look good. Yeah, there are other options like S&K sculptured rings and bases or Conetrols, but the DD's are a lot more bang for the buck.
I have 30mm S&K low rings on my 6.5-06 pre 64, so I would expect even more clearance on a classic. Scope is a Leupold 10x Mark IV. They would be a perfect match for your set up in my opinion.

Not the best picture but here is what the setup looks like:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
DD's are always a classic look on a nice Winchester model 70. No breaking the bank, rugged as hell and they look good. Yeah, there are other options like S&K sculptured rings and bases or Conetrols, but the DD's are a lot more bang for the buck.

The newest version of the DD’s are garbage. The Leupold logo, the extremely poor finish, and screw setup are horrible.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Have them on a 70 classic. Great rings unless you need to swap scopes.
I am not a gunwriter by any stretch though.
Originally Posted by Craigster
Check Talley.
I use Talley bases and vertical split rings on my M70 guns. Good looking, solid easy to use mount IMO.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

The newest version of the DD’s are garbage. The Leupold logo, the extremely poor finish, and screw setup are horrible.

Agreed, I broke 2 in one day just trying to spin the ring-bottom into place. I used grease and the Leupold ring-tool to spin them in, no joy.

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Check Talley.
I use Talley bases and vertical split rings on my M70 guns. Good looking, solid easy to use mount IMO.

Agreed, the Talley base and I like the looks and function of their "Screw-Lock" vertical split rings.
Go to midwestgunworks.com and type in Winchester model 70 bases. Good selection, including polished. Looks great on my polished supergrade.
Talley’s always look great
i used Burris Signature rings(the ones with the bushings) & standard bases (purchased 2006) on my baco 70 SG... with the available offset bushing kit i was nearly on zero without touching the turrets... They look good on a Super Grade & they don't barf up the scope... don't know where they're made now or even if available...
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Agreed, I broke 2 in one day just trying to spin the ring-bottom into place. I used grease and the Leupold ring-tool to spin them in, no joy.

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Check Talley.

Agreed, the Talley base and I like the looks and function of their "Screw-Lock" vertical split rings.

You are obviously doing something wrong if you "broke 2 on the same day". I'd look into that first. DD's always work well and look great.
PICATINNY MNTS.
Another vote for S&K.....especially for a classic
I just put Talley 2-piece rail on mine. I went with Burris Signature or Zee rings, but any slim/hunting ring looks period appropriate.

Click here to see a Pic of my mounts on my M70FW

B
Originally Posted by tnbillyearl
I just put Talley 2-piece rail on mine. I went with Burris Signature or Zee rings, but any slim/hunting ring looks period appropriate.

Click here to see a Pic of my mounts on my M70FW

B
That's a good option. Glad to see the mounts are not overhanging the ejection port or over the receiver like some mounts do. Those look like dog schidt. Don't know why anyone would do that to a rifle. Especially a nice one like a supergrade. I don't have any supergrades, but have plenty of Winchester model 70's of different vintages. I also like a steel warne style mount and Burris Zee rings. They are very strong and keep the scope where you want it for as long as you want it. Those and DD's are my pick, even though some of the other options may be a hair nicer. Here is an example of what I mean by a hair nicer:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Those are Conetrols and they look great in my opinion. However, they are a biotch to install. They have a bunch of small pieces. I ended up selling these and going with the tried and true DD's, which are a better bang for the buck IMHO. The Conetrol rings and mounts are similar to the S&K mounts and rings in looks, but use different parts. The S&K are kind of weird as well, as they use a strap type top ring, that can wear out over time. Ask my buddy that had a set and recently threw them away because they no longer held the scope securely. The scope would move under recoil. My buddy thinks they just wore out because he had removed them and stretched them out too many times. I can't say for sure on that one.

So, I like your simple weaver style bases and ring choice. They work well and are generally my first or second choice when scoping my model 70's. I'll use the steel Warne (weaver style) or steel leupold QRW/PRW bases though, as they tend to look a little better:

Here are some steel Warne bases with Burris Zee rings on top of my pre 64 338wm. Rifle weighs 7 pounds and those rings hold that scope very well:

Here's a newer mauser rifle, I set it up with gloss Burris Zee rings to go with the nice blued finish of the rifle:
Kind of similar to what a supergrade finish may look like. I have many other rifles set up this way, so I agree that these are a great match. Look great and are also very strong. Hard to beat for the money.

Leupold DD's:
Those are Conetrols and they look great in my opinion. However, they are a biotch to install. They have a bunch of small pieces. I ended up selling these and going with the tried and true DD's, which are a better bang for the buck IMHO. The Conetrol rings and mounts are similar to the S&K mounts and rings in looks, but use different parts. The S&K are kind of weird as well, as they use a strap type top ring, that can wear out over time. Ask my buddy that had a set and recently threw them away because they no longer held the scope securely. The scope would move under recoil. My buddy thinks they just wore out because he had removed them and stretched them out too many times. I can't say for sure on that one.

Now that's funny!
My Model 70s wear these... https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/screw-lock-detachable-scope-rings/
Originally Posted by MikeS

Now that's funny!

I don’t know how this would even be possible.
Today I prefer Weaver alloy bases with Weaver 4 screw rings or Burris Z signature (with inserts) or TPS hunter rings. Have given up on Talley LW and Leupold because of ugly stamping on top of rings.
Someone above posted his affinity for Conetrol rings and bases (http://www.conetrol.com/). I agree that these are probably the nicest looking rings for on a classic rifle like a super grade but again, they can be a real bear to install.
Talley bases and rings would look good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
OK I'm going to shoot a range in Alabama tomorrow and will see what the range shop has in stock.

I'm confused as to the bases I need..it's a new supergrade with pre 64 action in 270...I ordered a set from Midway earlier in the year and the holes weren't spaced right even after chatting with someone about it prior to the order...
If it’s a new rifle, what makes you think that the action was made before 1964?
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
OK I'm going to shoot a range in Alabama tomorrow and will see what the range shop has in stock.

I'm confused as to the bases I need..it's a new supergrade with pre 64 action in 270...I ordered a set from Midway earlier in the year and the holes weren't spaced right even after chatting with someone about it prior to the order...

Standard bases. You don’t want anything that says Express (Pre or Post 64).
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
If it’s a new rifle, what makes you think that the action was made before 1964?

I guess I'm using the wrong terms...it's not a push feed, so it's a pre 64 action? Mea culpa.

The range gunshop only had the same offerings.

I'll call S&K or Talley this week and see what they say, those pics look good.
Don’t ask for Pre 64 mounts. You will get the wrong thing. If it’s a post 64 Classic that’s what you need to tell them.
Talleys bases and split rings are great.

Make sure you get the right length front base:

Talley Steel all the way.
Originally Posted by pete53
PICATINNY MNTS.

Picatinny rails look like schidt on a Super Grade. You'd probably put all-terrain TAs on a Lamborghini.
S&K or Conetrol all the way. For all this talk of being difficult to install you only have to do it once. A beautiful rifle should have scope mounts of the same beauty IMO.
Originally Posted by hanco
Talley bases and rings would look good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This for the win.
Here some Conetrol's on my pre-war M70 270 Win.

I’m partial to Warne but there are a lot of good ones. The S&K or Conetrol are nice and clean but I don’t worry about that as much as I worry about toughness. My knock around hard hunting rifles all wear bedded pic rails with Warne rings.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m partial to Warne but there are a lot of good ones. The S&K or Conetrol are nice and clean but I don’t worry about that as much as I worry about toughness. My knock around hard hunting rifles all wear bedded pic rails with Warne rings.

Nothing is tougher than Conetrols.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Nothing is tougher than Conetrols.

Have used Conetrols quite a bit, and one of their other advantages is being windage-adjustable due to the opposing screws in both bases. But so are the S&Ks, as were Dave Gentry's rings, which were also 1-piece wrap-around rings, as opposed to the 3-piece Conetrol rings, and hence easier to install.

The S&K and Gentry rings are also a little lighter, if that matters. In fact when Dave was making his rings they were the lighest STEEL rings available, only slightly heavier than the Talley Lightweights. But apparently his son Dennis Gentry isn't making them anymore.
Pete Grisell thought they worked apparently. What did he know? I should have never sold this one, a 280 by Roger Green. It's #49 of 50 that Pete built.

Now you're just showing off... 😄

Awesome!
Originally Posted by MikeS
Now you're just showing off... 😄

Awesome!

Not really. Just a counter to a claim that S&K's begin slipping. Mine haven't nor did Pete's though I do not shoot 1000's of rounds out of my hunting rifles. I work up an effective hunting load and I'm done. That said, Pete was no dummy and co-created the Dakota action.
You won't get an argument from me on the S&Ks for certain.

I'm familiar with the Grisel actions. I would be hard pressed to ever give that one up.
While on this topic, which Conetrol ring height matches closest to Leupold DD/STD lows?
Not a super grade but I'm happy with good old Weaver's on my XTR Swede. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Burris Extreme Tactical two piece steel picatinny mounts, or the Warne steel two piece bases. Two scopes sighted in, or a scope and an Aimpoint Micro backup in a pocket. Warne QD rings of appropriate height.
My Super Grade has the Leupold DD bases and an older set of Leupold rings without the Nascar branding flattop.
© 24hourcampfire