Home
Question is what is the most accurate hunting rifle and caliber you ever purchased or tested directly out of the box without doing any trigger work or glass bedding. Not specifically present rifles but past and present, with either factory or handloads. Mine was Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 30-06 purchased some 15 years ago, it was true under an inch rifle with Federal Blue Box 150 gr ammo and around .75 with various handloads.
Savage, weatherby vanguard

Cartridge...probably 204
Tikka T3X 6.5 CM
Amazingly, a Remington cheapo syntethic stocked 7600 pump in 270 Win. Never monkeyed with much factory stuff in it, but it loved H4350 with various 130 grainers.

Thing was a tack driver straight out of the box, but absolutely nasty to shoot. That narrow stock comb beat the hell out of my cheek. I never did squat to it, other than putting sling swivels on it. Ended up selling it after I moved down here to finance one of my slug gun purchases.
easy peasy - Tikka

I have owned a half-dozen T3 (223 - 3 ea, 243, 308), T1x - 2 ea, and 595 (223, 243 - 2ea)

The only thing I did to any of them was adjust the trigger pull weight, install a scope and start shooting nice groups, varmints or big game.

They sure changed my outlook on expectations of a factory rifle. Why don't other companies produce out of the box rifles that perform this well?

drover
I've had the pleasure of shooting quite a few different accurate factory rifles. One that stands out is a Bergara in 7mm Rem Mag. The handloads I put through it were high velocity and very accurate, using Hornady's 150 grain ELD-X and IMR 8133. Here's the 100 yard target:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Helped a new shooter/hunter sight in her 308 Win, a Weatherby Vanguard "Camilla" - and I was amazed that it was shooting sub 1" groups at 200 yards! From the bench, with Federal factory 165 grain hunting ammo! Not every group was that small, but several were. Really nice rifle right out of the box.

That's just a couple that worked out very well. Have also had great results with Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, Savage bolt actions, and more. Have the distinct impression that most of today's hunting rifles can produce very nice accuracy right out of the box, or perhaps with minor tuning.

Regards, Guy
Blaser or Steyr.
Remington 700 in 25.06. A Winchester pre-64 in .270. A Vanguard in .243.
I've had a few do great out of the box with no mods or bedding jobs.

Sauer 100xt in 8x57, out of the box with factroy ammo. 3 Shot group at 100 yards.

Ruger M77 FTW in 30-06 with cheap federal 180gr. 5 shot group.

Ruger African m77 338 win mag w/ Factory Federal 250gr Nosler partitions.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1kONYbg.jpg?2[/img]

Zastava m70 9.3x62 285gr PPU reloads. Two sets of groups of 3. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. No bedding job or trigger work.

Stock Ruger M77 scout with 2.5X power scope at 100 yards. Norma Factory ammo.

Stock Ruger m77 SS in 338 Federal with factory ammo.

I have also had good results with weatherby vanguard, tikka and winchester. Lots of good options these days.
Ruger M77 MK II Sporter (stainless, laminate stock) in .25-06 Rem, 24" barrel.

The first load I developed was with 75 grain Hdy V-Maxes. Five shots, half grain increments, vertical string 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" high. That looked promising.

Came back the next day with the max load. Five shots, .38" group. Nice.

I subsequently fired three more groups with a fresh target on top of the original target. No individual group ever exceeded .55". That original target has a 20 shot group that measures .72" at the widest part.

It was my long range jackrabbit sniping rifle, back when I lived around jackrabbits.
Bergara B14 in 6.5 CM. Was a .5” gun with multiple factory loads. Never could warm up to the cartridge so the gentleman who bought it got a tack driver.

Rem 700 SS Mountain Rifle in .308. Bought it used at Scheels at a ridiculously low price with the intent to sell it and the scope separately. Shot it for the heck of it before selling. It was accurate with the only round I tried. Scraped together a test lot of 8 different factory loads to get a better idea what I had. The largest group of the 8 was under 1.5”. Most were sub MOA. The best 3 loads were in the .4’s. The 3 most accurate were 150 TTSX, 165 AB and 178 Terminal Ascent so lots of versatility. These are only 3-shot groups, but still impressive from a pencil-barreled lightweight. I never really had a need/want for a .308 but now would have a hard time letting this one go.
used rifle
Savage m340 in 222 Remington 50gr Hornady SP and H322 gives me around 1/4" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench)

new rifle
Remington m7 in 7-08 139gr Hornady FN (discontinued) with IMR4320 (discontinued) gives me 1/4 - 1/2" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench)
Ruger #1 (1973) in 270 Win 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with IMR4320 (discontinued) gives me around 1/4 - 3/8" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench

i haven't shot factory ammo for about 30+/- years.
Tikka T3 in .260 Rem (1:8")
A bit of a tie between my 30/06 Cooper model 52 and my present Proof Research Elevation in 300 Win Mag with the Barrett Fieldcraft 30/06 nipping at their heels.
A few stand out. A Rem 700 Varmint in .243. A Savage 12 in .22-250. And a Tikka T3x Varmint in .223. Of course, these are designed as varmint hunting rifles.
Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard in 6.5PRC and a Marlin MR-7 in .280 Remington.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A few stand out. A Rem 700 Varmint in .243. A Savage 12 in .22-250. And a Tikka T3x Varmint in .223. Of course, these are designed as varmint hunting rifles.
Mine was also a Savage 12 in 22-250. 1/2 to 3/4 capable rifle pretty easily
Rock River AR 223, less than a 1/2 inch with 62 grain Barnes, 3/4 with 62 Bear Claws.
Model 7 Remington Predator in 223, and a Model 700 LVSF 243, amazingly accurate right out of the box. A pair of Walmart clearance priced 700 ADL's in 243, one a Youth Model, the other a 24 inch barrel rifle. Not far behind, another 700 ADL in 6.5 Creedmoor. I also have a Howa in 6'5 CM that shoots every bit as good as the 700's do.
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Tikka T3X 6.5 CM

This for the win.
TIkka T3X lite in 30-06
Weatherby Back Country in 6.5 RPM has been a great shooter. Also a Bergara B14 in 450 Bushmaster.
1971 Rem 700 .17 Rem.

Bugholes then, bugholes now... Factory ammo

Never been bedded or had a trigger adjustment. 50+ years it's maybe been out of the stock 4 or 5 times, just to look it over...
Tikka 695 7mag
Tikka T3 7-08
Tikka T3X 6.5CM
Sako S20 6.5 PRC
Ruger American 243
I have a new Tikka 223 that is right up there with an old Rem 700 varmint in 222 I sadly sold.
Tikka T3 Lite in 308
Ruger American in 308
A 1986 700 VSSF in 308
All shoot the same load of 165 Ballistic tips on top of Varget into a half inch or less groups.

Sold the Ruger to my gunsmith and gave the Tikka and VSSF to my son.

A 1979 Remington 700 in 7MM Express, 139 Hornady's and H4831SC into 1/2 inch or less
A Win 70 in 270W, circa 1998, 1/2 out of the box with Hornady Spire Points, 140.
Not sure I should post this.

Savage Axis II in 308 winchester.
I can tell you which one isn't.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .300 Win Mag.
Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. Not the most esthetically satisfying rifle but it shoots!
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. Not the most esthetically satisfying rifle but it shoots!

Bargain accuracy for sure!

Guy
Originally Posted by strosfann
Bergara B14 in 6.5 CM. Was a .5” gun with multiple factory loads. Never could warm up to the cartridge so the gentleman who bought it got a tack driver.

Rem 700 SS Mountain Rifle in .308. Bought it used at Scheels at a ridiculously low price with the intent to sell it and the scope separately. Shot it for the heck of it before selling. It was accurate with the only round I tried. Scraped together a test lot of 8 different factory loads to get a better idea what I had. The largest group of the 8 was under 1.5”. Most were sub MOA. The best 3 loads were in the .4’s. The 3 most accurate were 150 TTSX, 165 AB and 178 Terminal Ascent so lots of versatility. These are only 3-shot groups, but still impressive from a pencil-barreled lightweight. I never really had a need/want for a .308 but now would have a hard time letting this one go.

Kinda hard to warm up to a cartridge that will put several different factory loads into 1/2 " groups in a decent rifle. 1st world problems!
4 different Marlin X7 bolt guns:
.30-06

Now that I think about it, no other NIB rifle I've ever fired, from any mfgr, shot anywhere near as well as any of these 4 have. Whether with Federal Blue Box or handloads, they were consistently excellent shooters.

Just my experience.

FC
Accuracy is relative. I have rifles that shoot 1" groups all day long that will consistently shoot to point of aim better than some rifles that shoot 1/2 moa but tend to migrate or produce the occasional flier. I will say this, budget accuracy doesn't impress me. It's too inconsistent.

I like the consistency of Tikka rifles
Originally Posted by Trystan
Accuracy is relative. I have rifles that shoot 1" groups all day long that will consistently shoot to point of aim better than some rifles that shoot 1/2 moa but tend to migrate or produce the occasional flier. I will say this, budget accuracy doesn't impress me. It's too inconsistent.

I like the consistency of Tikka rifles

Same scope in both situations?
Tikka HB in .222. In a hunting rifle, new model Winchester Super Grade in .300WSM

Jim
Remington VSSF 22-250. Shot in local varmint match. 39.5 grains H380 over a Barts 52 gn bullet. 50-5X on a 100 yard NBRSA hunter rifle target
Sako 85 260
Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 Creed
Tikka T3X Lite 270
Tikka T3X Lite 308
Ruger M77R in .300 Win Mag bought new in 1975. Consistent 0.5 MOA shooter with several different loads, 0.375 MOA with a couple different loads with 190 to 200gr Sierra boattails.

Ruger M77 Mk II All Weather in .270 Win with the boat paddle stock. Freaky accurate (sub .5 MOA) with several different factory loads, including blue-box Federals, and handloads. One ragged hole groups with Hornady 150 gr SST's and H4350.

Just about same accuracy with a CZ 550 in .270 Win. Sold this one to Mule Deer.

First year of production (1963) Sako Finnbear L61R Magnum in .300 H&H Mag - shoots consistent 0.3 to 0.5 MOA with 180 gr Swift Scirocco II's and Mag Pro powder (at least with the lot numbers I have now). Can stay below 0.75 MOA with several other loads using bullets 180 gr and up.

A Browning BAR II Safari Grade in .30-06 (without BOSS) that would shoot sub-MOA with several different factory loads with 150 to 165 gr bullets, and a couple of those got below 0.75 MOA.

About a dozen and a half Browning A-Bolts in .270 Win that I sighted in for friends and customers back in the 80's and 90's. Almost every one of them was able to shoot sub-MOA with at least one commonly available factory load, and some shot better than that.
Blaser r8. Tikkas are really good
Blaser K95.

I have owned twenty something of them, and currently own 11, and all of them have shot well with almost anything you fed them with the only exception being a 25-06 that would only shoot 120gr VLDs. With those it did unbelievably, but not liking their terminal performance I got rid of it soon.

6 shot groups in the 0.7-1.0 in range at 110 yds are the norm with about 40% of them being able of cutting those groups in half with chosen ammo.
Sako Forester L579 .243 followed very closely by Remington 700 BDL 30-06. The Remington was purchased in 1977
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
4 different Marlin X7 bolt guns:
.30-06

Now that I think about it, no other NIB rifle I've ever fired, from any mfgr, shot anywhere near as well as any of these 4 have. Whether with Federal Blue Box or handloads, the were consistently excellent shooters.

Just my experience.

FC

My experience as well with a couple of 243’s.

That and my Ruger American ranch in 300 blk. Had to clean up the crown and tighten up the headspace on that one, so not right out of the box. It looked like the barrel had the mandrel pulled through to rifle it after the crown had been cut. It had little thin pieces of metal “flowing” out of the end of the barrel before I touched it up with lapping compound. Now it is my favorite tree stand rifle and shoots way sub moa.
Remington 700 classic 35 Whelen. Best shooter of all my rifles.
Remington 700 BDL 30-06. It shoots anything I put in it MOA.
Kimber Longmaster .308 I bought in 2005.

Scary accurate with handloads.
A limited run V2 in 6.5 CM that Weatherby made for Cabela's before they added the 6.5 CM as regularly cataloged item. It is the most accurate straight out of the box centerfire rifle that I've yet to own.
new once now a 40 year old Remington 700 Varmint BLD 222 Remington shoots 2`s and 3`s some 4`s right away . was too easy wish more rifles were so simple , this rifle shoots like a bench rifle .
Remington 700 270 adl and a bdl300 mag were both sub moa . Savage 22-250 also. Remington 673 in 6.5 rem mag. I shot it at 300 yards with 10 shots under 2 inch group. Good enough for me. Edk
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Kimber Longmaster .308 I bought in 2005.

Scary accurate with handloads.

My deer camp mate has one of those from then, maybe a little before. It has been very accurate with my handloads, and with a pile of vintage Lake City match ammo he inherited.
Mine is Remington 700 Varmint Special in 25-06. It will clover leaf 3 shots with factory ammo. Next is a Remington 700 in 7mm mag when the barrel was stainless but looked blued. Those are my most accurate common calibers. I also have a Remington 700 sporter in Rem 300 Ultra Mag that is sub MOA at ranges to 500 yards with factory Nosler partitions in 180 grain. My gunsmith told me all 300 Rem ultra mags are very accurate. I will not ever sell my top two.
Have had a pile of lemons in my life , but have been blessed with some real shooters
700 Varmint 243 , it shot everything from 70gr-100gr with excellent accuracy
H4832SC setting under 100 SGK would shoot .25”-.5” groups consistently, Nikon 4.5-14 buckmaster , once zeroed , never had to touch it again
It was hard unloading that gun , hope the new owner appreciated what he got

Then there is the Ruger American compact 308 , friggin hammers

Ruger Ranch 300 aac , another very accurate rifke , stuck a el cheapo 4x Tasco on it when I first got it just to see how it would preform , shot so well and scope was really clear , never changed it

Browning hi wall 45/70 , flat ass shot everything excellent

Savage 20 gauge slug rifle , easy to shoot 1” and sometimes less

British 303 with Tasco 3-9 Japan that would often clover leaf with core lokts and stayed in the 1” group and that was with full length original stock

Olympic Arms AR , 20” heavy barrel , bought it 30 yrs ago and still shoots consistently under and inch and often under .5” with right ammo , 1/12 twist

T/C icon 243 , another hammer and good looking too
T/C predator 308 another great one

T/C Venture 30-06 , one sweet 06 right there

Cooper 17HMR

Been a bunch of them , but seen a pile of lemons too
I had a Ruger 77V & a Model 54 Winchester in 220 Swift that were both outstanding with handloads, a 700 RS in 280 was amazing, a 700 Classic in 257 Robts. & another in 250-3000 that were reliably sub 3/4" rifles, a limited run pushfeed Model 70 in 300 H&H, & a 35 Whelen in a 700 Classic that wern't too shabby.

A shame about that boating accident.
A Remington Custom C in 270 Winchester, circa 1978, produced 1/4" groups from the get go.

The other that was equally accurate was a Savage Model 14 American Classic chambers in the 250 SAV. Foolishly I let go of the Remington, still own the 250.

With factory ammo, two of the best were Weatherby Mark Vs in 300 and 340. Both would cloverleaf with ammo they liked. Multiple Tikkas and a Sako in 7mmSTW were the easiest to find accuracy handloads in.
2007, 2008, don't recall exactly, bought a Tika T3 Lite 270 Winchester. 1/3 minute rifle with Federal Blue Box 130 grain. Very smooth bolt operation.
With a Tikka T3 .300 WSM, straight out of the box, after scope mounting and a shoot-and-clean barrel break-in session using factory ammunition, I full-length resized that brass and used Sierra 168 gr MK bullets in front of RL-19 powder, starting at 67.0 gr and working up to 70.5 gr (Fed 215 primers).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have been thinking about this, and while most OTB factory rifles I've owned required a little tweaking, here are several that didn't:

CZ 452 .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire. The first 100-yard 3-shot group was around 1/4", and thousands of rounds later it still puts five into .5" or so.

CZ 527 .17 Hornady Hornet. It's first 5-shot 100-yard group with Hornady factory ammo went into .48" at 100, and the next two measured .55 and .60.

Ruger American Rifle in .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum. It's the best-grouping .22 Magnum I've ever owned, and have had some costing $1000--and groups five rounds just about any ammo into an inch or less at 100 yards, some of them much less.

Ruger No. 1B in .22 Hornet. Bought this directly from the factory around 2000, and with the right handloads would put five into around .4" at 100 yards.

Winchester Model 70 Jack O'Connor Tribute .270. It's very first 100-yard group with a handloaded featuring the 130-grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock measured .41 inch. has grouped well under an inch with almost all handloads and even factory ammo ever since I "won" it at a fund-raiser auction at the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center in Lewiston, Idaho in 2014. (It might be argued that this wasn't exactly a mass-produced "factory" rifle, but they built quite a few during a short period.

Pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester .30-06. Bought it lightly used maybe 15 years ago, and it hadn't been altered in any way. Made sure all the screws were tight--including the forend screw, usually consider a hindrance. Took it to the range with a box of 150-grain Winchester Silvertip factory loads, and it averaged around 1/2"--with a 4x scope.
Best right out of the box has been a couple of Sako 338's, a wood stocked AIII Deluxe version & an AV Fiberclass version.

Both would cloverleaf 3 shots on a regular basis, day in day out.

Can't find a pic of the wood stocked Deluxe, but the Fiberclass is below.

MM

Wby Fibermark in 257 Wby.

As long as I avoided partition bullets, the only real difference was whether I would get 5 under a dime at 100 or only 3. With my best handloads, using a WW bullet designed for a 25/06 I could put 5 under a dime every time I shot it. Still have the rifle, still have about 1 box of those WW bullets left. It shoots pretty much every non-partition factory load well, likes Barnes bullets a lot also. I have owned it since new, 30+ years but try not to shoot it too much anymore as I do not want to shoot out the barrel.

RAS
price points be damned. the little Ruger Americans will hold their own compared to anything..
Originally Posted by ldholton
price points be damned. the little Ruger Americans will hold their own compared to anything..

Yep!
Those Stevens/Savage did pretty good. Had one in 243 and still have a 223. Very, very accurate

The 223 was / is lights out with that Winchester white box ammo. It shoots most everything well but really likes that Winchester stuff...
Originally Posted by Lorne
Those Stevens/Savage did pretty good. Had one in 243 and still have a 223. Very, very accurate

The 223 was / is lights out with that Winchester white box ammo. It shoots most everything well but really likes that Winchester stuff...

If you are talking about the Steven's 200, I partially agree. They shot exceptionally well and were budget friendly, but the triggers are horrible!!! I had to put a Timney in the one I had. It was chambered in 22-250 and would bughole 10 shot groups routinely. That rifle was also glass bedded. However, the OP's question was more in regards to a bone stock factory rifle. He also asks about what "caliber". Hence the reason for my answer:

Rifle: Tikka
Caliber/cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor
T/C Compass Utility in 308 Win. I got it on sale for $241, including tax. Topped it with a 4X Nikon scope I had on hand. 100 yard groups. And yes I know I spelled Barnes wrong.
The Bottom load is my go to hunting load. In the last 2 years this rifle has taken a black bear, 4 whitetail, 3 big hogs and a 46 inch bobcat. Not bad for a $241 rifle.
Savage 110 in 270, an early 2000s Wal-Mart special, right after the accu-trigger was introduced. Shoots 3/4" groups with Remington 130 grain factory ammo, and that's for five shots, not three. It shoots somewhat larger groups with other factory loads, but three-shot groups have still been an inch or less. I have never bothered to handload for it, even though I have 270 dies. I eventually bought two more 110s from Wal-Mart in 30-06 when they were still $349.99. The 30-06s were good but not great in the accuracy dept, so I rebarreled one to 35 Whelen with an Adams & Bennett barrel and the other with a take-off 30-06 heavier barrel. They both shoot very well, but still not quite as well as the stock 270.
My ancient BDL in 270 Win. Shoots 150g Partitions at 3000 fps lights inside of a nickel, same for Sierra 90g HPBTs at 3400 fps. 2nd best my 500 Jeffery with 570g TSX's at 2300 fps. Well under 1 MOA
I recently picked up a used Savage Model 11 in 223. Crappy old sighter loads (50gr R-P SPs with 3031) for lining up the scope shot into 1" first time out.

I think I'm going to get along with this rifle.
For me it was the Remington 788 in 223. Used it for a lot of years as my only coyote rifle without any fancy triggers or anything. Has always shot one inch or smaller groups for me. It wasn't til a couple years ago that I got around to replacing the trigger with a Timney.

I even used it in the Predator Masters egg shoot against all those fancy custom hunting rifles with match triggers and I don't know what all.
Took third place
Tikka CTR and a Steyr Scout. Both in .308
my fieldcraft rifles
Originally Posted by MAC
T/C Compass Utility in 308 Win. I got it on sale for $241, including tax. Topped it with a 4X Nikon scope I had on hand. 100 yard groups. And yes I know I spelled Barnes wrong.
The Bottom load is my go to hunting load. In the last 2 years this rifle has taken a black bear, 4 whitetail, 3 big hogs and a 46 inch bobcat. Not bad for a $241 rifle.

Can't go wrong with the TC Compass!
Bought mine at about the same price in 6.5 CM----shoots GREAT!

Wish they still made them, I would buy a FEW MORE!

Hip

P.S. Still/Always favor the Model 70 type safety!!!
Sako L691 n 300 Wby.
The best shooting guns for me have also been some of the least expensive. I have a Remington 788 in 22-250 that can probably light matches, A Savage 110 F I bought in 1986 in 7 Mag was a real shooter, The first synthetic stock rifle I ever bought. I have a Ruger American 22lr with the short threaded barrel that is a one holer. It shoots circles around the Ruger 77/22 that cost 3x the price.
Walmart POS Rem 770 $400 "special " , I replaced no name scope with proven Tasco 6X40 World Class. MOA, with any factory ammo since tested.

I have rifles equal or better, but they have been worked on - and/or loaded for.

I don't remember if I tweaked the now excellent trigger, but other than that, no mods.
It is close for sure. It's either a Kimber Mountain Ascent 300 WSM shooting Hornady 200 grain ELD-X. Or my Tikka T-3 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Hornady 143 grain ELD-X. Or, last but not least, my Remington 700 VTR .223 shooting Black Hills remanufactured 55 grain V-max. The Remington is the most accurate now for sure. But I did put a Timney trigger in it. Not sure which one would have been the best before that. The best thing is, I still have all 3 of them. They all wear a Zeiss Conquest V-4 6-24x50 scope. I also have a Browning BAR 300 wsm with the same scope and a new muzzle brake! I'll be getting it dialed in soon enough when this surgery sheeeaaat is over!
Tikka T3X own 5 all LH all accurate with most loads.
Tikka.

I've had 30-06, 308, and 6.5CM and a T1x in 22 LR. No longer have the 30-06 but it was a shooter. I had a 308 CTR for a while. It was accurate as well, but no more so than my 2 lb lighter T3 in 308. I let it go.

The 6.5 is the most accurate but even the others outshoot everything else I've ever owned. The T1x is the most accurate 22 I've ever owned by a wide margin.

The Ruger American Predator centerfire is a close 2nd. When they were $350 I'd say they were accurate enough to crown as the most accurate for the money. But anymore a Tikka just isn't that much more expensive.

I was disappointed in the Ruger American in 22 LR. In fact my 10/22's were more accurate and more reliable.
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
a Kimber Mountain Ascent 300 WSM shooting Hornady 200 grain ELD-X.

My fillings hurt reading that
Not new, but 2 of my most accurate were a Remington 513-T and a CZ 550 American 6.5x55 SE.

Tikka T-3 25-06 with Hornady interlock 117 grain bullets.
Out of the box accuracy? You're asking a refugee from Planet 4 MOA?

Back on Planet 4 MOA, it ain't the rifle, you see. Whatever the group, "I hits where I aim." You say that, and everyone know that whatever you did to mangle the 5 gallon bucket out in the yard will transform into a magic laser beam come the Opener.

I have one rifle that came from a dear friend, O.T. O.T. sold it to me after he went blind. He needed the money, and so I bought his magic custom 25-06. He told me he'd been able to hit anything at any range, and it didn't matter what grains you used. 100 and 120 grain Remingtons did equally well. I first began to suspect something when I tried to shoot it as-is and the old Aimpoint sight had a bigger than 4 MOA dot. I pulled that off and threw on a nice Bushnell Trophy 4-12X that's still on it.

But getting it to group? I tried 4 bullets and 3 powders. I finally put it aside about 5 years ago.

This year, I finally found the ticket: 100 grain Speers over H4831sc. O.T. was right. It was a good shooter, but I doubt he ever saw what it could do.

But back to the question at hand. See, as a refugee from Planet 4 MOA, I question all claims of inherent accuracy. You tell me this or that gives best out-of-the box performance or best-in-class this or that, I think back to all the guys I knew and respected and saw what they called "MOA" accuracy. I'm not saying y'all are lying or anything like that. Quite to the contrary, I just have these faces bubbling up in front of me.

Let me make a claim. No, I'm not going to step on the Pillar of TRVTH. It's just a simple assertion that's open for debate. I will assert that the best out of the box accuracy is a serendipitous matching of the rifle, the shooter, and whatever ammo he puts in it starting out.

The most accurate rifle I ever shot straight out of the box was my Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. Mind you it was also the first new deer rifle I'd actually pulled out of its box in 40 years. Actually, I restocked it with a walnut stock and ground the bottom of the magazine a wee bit before shooting it the first time. Does that count?

On the other hand, I got about 4 MOA accuracy out my TC Compass in 7mm-08 3 years ago, and figured it would handle a deer at 100 yards. It did. I then restocked it to fit my somewhat eccentric frame. I finally found a load I can live with this summer. It's accurate-- one of my best. It's just my loads weren't.

. . . and see here's another issue. Being a walking landform, I've always had a hard time getting things to fit. This goes for everything from boots to hats. I seldom grab a rifle without needing a tweak. My Winchester 670 was by no means new. It looked like it had been dragged behind a truck when I got it, but it fit me like a glove. Of all things, the M1 Garand felt like the hometown whore when I shouldered it the first time.

Once I got my Ruger American Predator in 223 REM settled into a new stock, a Boyd's AT-One with all the adjustments and all, it shot much better. It wasn't the gun. It was me.
My buddy has a Tikka in 6.5x55. Three bullets in the same hole just over caliber and 5 in 1/2". That's with Hornady 140 grain interlocks. A fancy bullet is not needed for a deer.
Anything relatively heavy that shoots low recoiling cartridges from a savage axis 223 to Remington/Winchester/Sako varmint rifles in cartridges up to a 6mm Rem ime
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Lorne

If you are talking about the Steven's 200, I partially agree. They shot exceptionally well and were budget friendly, but the triggers are horrible!!! I had to put a Timney in the one I had. It was chambered in 22-250 and would bughole 10 shot groups routinely. That rifle was also glass bedded. However, the OP's question was more in regards to a bone stock factory rifle. He also asks about what "caliber". Hence the reason for my answer:

Rifle: Tikka
Caliber/cartridge: 6.5 Creedmoor

Yes the Stevens 200 . They did have a crappy trigger, but , even with it shot very accurately.

So ok : Stevens 200; 223
Probably a Winchester M70 XTR push feeder in .270 Win. Picked it up at a fun show for a fair price. Next day I stoped an Walmart and picked up a couple of boxes if Wincher 150 gr. power Points and went tp the range. I usually shoot the first group at 25 yards but I'd asked the seller if it was sighted in and said it at 3" high at 100 yards. So I gambled that he wasn't lying and carefully shot the first 5 shot into a half inch. shocked I let the barrel cool and shot another 5 shot with the groups only slightly larger. Long story short, I shot four 5 shot groups and the largest groups was .80".

I've since tried my two pet loads running the 150 gr. Sierra Game King and 150 gr. Nosler Partition over a max load of the long gone Winchester WMR powder. Winchester standard primer and brass as well. Interesting thing about those two loads. I can shoot shoot either one without having to resight the rifle. Either load is .75" alone but if I mix and match, the combine groups is slightly less than 1.5". What was a rifle destined to be either a loaner or trade material turned out to be a real keeper.

Frankly, I've never shot any 130 gr. loads in that rifle and probably never will. I swore off them years ago because that messed up too much good eating meat. Maybe I ought to load up a few rounds and see how they shoot in that rifle. Probably quite well. I've always found the .270 an easy cartridge to accurate ammo on paper. My worst shooting .270 is a Ruger #1 and runs 1.25 tp 1.50" on average. Maybe not my most accurate .270 but I've never seen a bench rest out when hunting.
PJ
Savage 12FV. 22-250.

IMR-4064 or 4895.

Any 40-60 grain bullet whether Hornady, Sierra or Nosler a d the old white box Winchester 45 grain HP.

The rifle never shot over 1/2" and if you would mix any combination of different bullet or powder and shoot a group it would stay under 3/4" and generally only have to move the scope 2, maybe 3 clicks to zero if changing loads.

Dumb move in a moment of weakness when I swapped that one off.
I have had 2 brands stand out for accuracy, being a John Rigby and Sons (which you would expect) and 3 Winchester Model 70's.
These rifles shot some amazing very sub MOA groups.
The cartridges so chambered, were .275 Rigby, .30/06, .300 RUM and 7x57.
The best out of the box were Tikka 3x lights: 223, 6.5 Creedmore, and 7mm-08. All three shot three shot groups of less than 3/4 of an inch, occasionally less than half an inch on my good days.
In my gun safe, the T-C Icon in 243 and a 1963 Sako L461 in 222RemMag.

The Sako gave back-to-back .178 and .331 (3 shot) groups with 2 different loads, and consistently shoots sub-MOA, as does the Icon and the Icon did 10 shots of Winchester factory 80gr loads into just over 1".

I was gifted the box of 243 ammo and was only interested in fire forming the brass, and was very pleased with the accuracy.
I had a T/C Icon .223 Remington for a while, and it was also very accurate OTB.
I sold my T/C Icon .243 stainless weathershield yesterday. I hope I don’t come to regret it. It was a vary accurate rifle, bought it off the ‘fire here in April 2013.
My most accurate rifle out of the box is a J.C. Higgins Model 50 in 30-06. It was my first centerfire rifle, purchased used at a gun show in 1987 for the princely sum of $250. It has an FN Mauser action, a chrome lined barrel by High Standard and was sold by Sears in the early 50s for $100 new.

It shoots 150 grain Winchester Power Points well under an inch. It made me wonder what all the fuss over sub 1 inch rifles was about. It wasn't until I'd bought some more rifles that I realized how special it really was.

I was once at the range next to a guy who had the complete benchrest setup; a rifle and scope combo that cost more than my car, wind flags, a reloading press at the range, the works. At the break, he looked at my targets, complimented the sub-one inch groups and asked "What are you shooting?". You should have seen the look on his face when I answered: "Winchester hunting ammo from my Sears 30-06."
Blaser R93 Luxus 257Bee shot almost everything to the same POA also. Only problem was it was to nice to hunt with:(
Cooper .243----Bloody Mary

Rio7
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Tikka T3X 6.5 CM

Same here. Kind of ugly and a lot of plastic parts but it shoots like a heavy barrel target rifle.
I don't care about fractions of an inch. As long as a rifle hits where I aim out to my limit, I'm fine.
Originally Posted by duke61
Question is what is the most accurate hunting rifle and caliber you ever purchased or tested directly out of the box without doing any trigger work or glass bedding. Not specifically present rifles but past and present, with either factory or handloads. Mine was Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 30-06 purchased some 15 years ago, it was true under an inch rifle with Federal Blue Box 150 gr ammo and around .75 with various handloads.
My Blaser R93. No trigger work and the barrels are very smooth. It’s shoots both magnum calibers I have less than MOA. Of course it’s not a cheap date.
Several Tikka's and a couple of Vanguard II's will shoot 1/2" or less groups
Tikka Super lite in 30-06, hand loaded 165 TSX's shot .525 groups at 200 yards.
Allterra arm in 300PRC
My TC Icon in 3006 is any easy sub MOA shooter at the bench.
For me it is a toss-up between the Kimber Montana and the Tikka T3x. For price point, the Tikka is the winner but for those who like the three position safety, CRF and US made, the Kimber.
© 24hourcampfire