Home
Posted By: dave284 Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I come across some new Star Line nickel brass in 45/70. I know their regular brass is good to go, what about the nickel stuff? I normally avoid nickel brass because some of it has had a reputation for the nickel to flake off, or so I read many moons ago.

What say ye?

Thanks.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
Theirs aren't immune to those maladies or shortcomings.

Better than many, still not immune, especially with cartridges getting repeated roll crimps.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
Originally Posted by HawkI
Theirs aren't immune to those maladies or shortcomings.

Better than many, still not immune, especially with cartridges getting repeated roll crimps.

This +1

I've used it in 45 Colt, 32 H&R Mag, and 327 Fed. The 45 Colt and 32 H&R hold up decent, but the 327 brass started flaking off from the first/second firing.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I bought a bunch of cheap Federal .38+P years ago, and about 1-10 or 15 cases split upon firing. Sent some samples to Federal and they blamed the “pickling” process for weakening the brass. I don’t buy nickeled brass, but might if I were going into the tropics or other harsh environment, for corrosion resistance. I’d consider that brass as a one or two-shot expendable. Probably wouldn’t choose it for ammo that was going to sit around for long either.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I have used their nickel .45-70 brass without any problems, but I've not loaded it a large number of times, either.
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I prefer the nickel cases for whatever reason. I've got a supply of new Starline brass cases which I also use. If you're interested in trading, drop me a msg.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
Nickel plated brass is suceptable to what is called "hydrogen embrittlement", therefor the cracking. I loaded nickel plated brass in .257 Roberts and .35 Whelen, one thing to be aware of is that due to it's porous nature nickel plating can retain abraisive grit and scratch your dies. After experiencing this with my dies I no longer load nickel plated brass. I have loaded nickel plated brass in handgun calibers without any issues, mainly because of using carbide sizing dies. I have experienced cracking issues in handgun brass due to the hydrogen embrittlement, I don't seek out nickel plated handgun brass but don't hesitate to use it if some comes my way.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I've used Starline nickel .44 Special brass for years because it makes it simple to sort it from .44 Magnum brass. I've cases that have been loaded 10 times or more and never an issue. Admittedly, the .44 Special isn't hard on brass, but I'm very satisfied with their performance. Regarding other posts, I only roll crimp and use carbide dies. I've not experienced flaking or other failures yet, but for the ease of sorting I'm willing to suffer those issues should they arise.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I've used Starline nickel .44 Special brass for years because it makes it simple to sort it from .44 Magnum brass. I've cases that have been loaded 10 times or more and never an issue. Admittedly, the .44 Special isn't hard on brass, but I'm very satisfied with their performance. Regarding other posts, I only roll crimp and use carbide dies. I've not experienced flaking or other failures yet, but for the ease of sorting I'm willing to suffer those issues should they arise.

That's why I still use them for 32 H&R. They last long enough in that and it makes them stand out from the 32 Longs and 327s in regular brass.
Posted By: mart Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/12/23
I’ve got some nickel Speer 480 brass. Some of it has been loaded 4 times and still seems to be holding up.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Star line nickel brass - 10/13/23
I use nickel Norma brass in my 223 bolt rifles .Has had about 12 loadings so far. I use nickel in the bolt rifles to make sure I do not use 5.6X45 in my bolts,only in my ARs.
© 24hourcampfire