Home
A couple of recent threads in the Hunting Rifles forum got me to thinking about this, thought I would post my thoughts here where there might be a broader range of participant in the discussion.

Remington has gone to putting Timney triggers in all the 700's now. I think that makes sense for several reasons and benefits both companies.

The issue of push feed vs CRF has pretty much died out and, for the most part, everyone is happy with push feed rifles. What everyone is not happy with, re: the 700's is the fact that the safety doesn't lock the bolt handle down. There are aftermarket safeties for the 700, probably most notably the David Gentry three position, that solve this problem.

As far as I know, or can recall, going to (and identifying/promoting) an aftermarket component in their rifle is a first for any of the big US gunmakers. I'm wondering if the next thing we might see is an aftermarket 3 position safety. It wouldn't be a big trick to insert the necessary cuts in the bolt's CNC machining program to accommodate the part. Going a little further, might we see something like we see now with cars and trucks: custom builders collaborating with manufacturers fore premium versions of their products (think Rousch, Saleen, Shelby).

What do you think?
I think a custom rifle would be a great idea. It would be a niche market for sure. Being able to pick and choose which stocks, triggers, bedding, barrels etc might improve their standing in the gun community.

It would be an improvement on their old custom shop and in theory at least, should be a little cheaper than going to a small shop for a similar build.
The new Ruger American Gen II is coming with a 3 position safety. I could see Remington moving in that direction. OR going back to the original 2 position safety that locks the bolt down. Since they are no longer using the Walker trigger that would be a good option. Tikka uses that system and I've not heard of any complaints.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I think a custom rifle would be a great idea. It would be a niche market for sure. Being able to pick and choose which stocks, triggers, bedding, barrels etc might improve their standing in the gun community.

It would be an improvement on their old custom shop and in theory at least, should be a little cheaper than going to a small shop for a similar build.

Steve, I wasn't thinking so much about a menu of custom options, although that would be a great idea, to be able to order one like that. I was thinking more along the lines of a whole package, ie a Rousch F-150 or a Saleen Mustang.

Originally Posted by JMR40
The new Ruger American Gen II is coming with a 3 position safety. I could see Remington moving in that direction. OR going back to the original 2 position safety that locks the bolt down. Since they are no longer using the Walker trigger that would be a good option. Tikka uses that system and I've not heard of any complaints.

Yes, my Sako 85 is like that, the same location and style as the 700 safety, but locks the bolt down and has a little lever/button in front of it to unlock the bolt but leave the firing pin blocked. Works great and solves the problem.
A man could just buy a Model 70 Winchester and get a good trigger, three position safety, and controlled round feed.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A man could just buy a Model 70 Winchester and get a good trigger, three position safety, and controlled round feed.

But But muh 3 rings of steel!
Most don't consider the MOA trigger to be a good one. Of the 8 newer model 70's with the MOA trigger I've had in the recent past and still own a few, only two came close to living up to their advertising hype. I've found them to be very inconsistent in creep and range of poundage adjustment.
Originally Posted by bushrat
Most don't consider the MOA trigger to be a good one. Of the 8 newer model 70's with the MOA trigger I've had in the recent past and still own a few, only two came close to living up to their advertising hype. I've found them to be very inconsistent in creep and range of poundage adjustment.
I stand corrected. I only have older model 70s and they have excellent, yet simple triggers. I am not familiar with the newer triggers.
I shot an 80s model 700 today then shot a Weatherby Vanguard with a Timney in it. The Rifle with the Timney was easier to shoot well. The 700 trigger hasn't been fooled with. It isn't near as good as the Rifles I have hunted lately with Timney triggers.
I have a bunch of Rem 700's with original Walker triggers and only one had a trigger that was around 4.5 lbs, rest were all around 2.5 to 3 lbs.
If I'm not mistaken the Colt Light Rifle came with a Timney three position safety. Could that not be adapted to the Rem 700?

> this is what i did Winchester model 70`s and i also went with Ruger #1`s too. no more Remingtons for me.
The colt light I had the safety wouldn’t stay on. I am right handed but carry on my left.
I think it makes sense too. Smartest thing Remington has done in years in my opinion.
I wouldn’t mind paying a few extra dollars for a 700 with a Timney trigger in it because if I bought a new 700 the first thing I would do would be to put a Timney or Triggertech in it anyway.
All of my 700’s have Timney’s except for one and I ordered a Triggertech for it from Red Hawk Rifles on Black Friday but haven’t gotten a chance to put it in yet. Anxious to see how I like it.
I know they are not a “big gunmaker” as such but when Knight Muzzleloading first introduced their In-line muzzleloader’s, I believe they had Timney triggers in them.
I may be wrong but I believe that was the case.
I stand corrected. I only have older model 70s and they have excellent, yet simple triggers. I am not familiar with the newer triggers.
The MOA trigger feels like cheap pot metal and is inconsistent.
.[/quote]
The MOA trigger feels like cheap pot metal and is inconsistent.[/quote]

Lee (Redneck), did an amazing trigger job on my Win 70 MOA trigger.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The MOA trigger feels like cheap pot metal and is inconsistent.[/quote]

Lee (Redneck), did an amazing trigger job on my Win 70 MOA trigger.[/quote]

Shouldn't have to do anything if they performed in accordance to their advertising hype. Pretty similar design and internal function to X-bolt triggers which are just as inconsistent in my experience.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

That sounds like a great idea even if they didn’t net much. As you said it would improve their standing in the gun community. That would be a good thing after years of Remington being in a race to the bottom and lowest price point budget guns.

It'd be really nice if that CRF, trigger, and safety also came with another 1/2" worth of mag-box latitude in order to keep up with where projectile evolution is going.
Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I wasn't aware of this. I always admired the old model 70 triggers. They felt good yet were very simple, easy to adjust, and shouldn't have been expensive to manufacture. I wonder why they quit using them.
Originally Posted by AU338MAG

I wasn't aware of this. I always admired the old model 70 triggers. They felt good yet were very simple, easy to adjust, and shouldn't have been expensive to manufacture. I wonder why they quit using them.
Bean Counters thought it to be cheaper if Browning and Winchester used the same trigger.
Model 70 triggers are pretty good until you get someone that doesn't know how to adjust them then the bolt gets locked up. They were simple but the only adjustment is pull weight. Timney makes a decent trigger and Shilen does as well for the Remington M700.
I heard the Timneys that were in the new 700s were Non adjustable…… any truth to that or was that a lie?
Anyone have one in a new 700??
I concur with the comments above about the new Winchester MOA triggers; they are garbage. Lowest trigger pull you can adjust them to is 4 lbs. and that is not consistent. I replaced the MOA with Timney trigger and it was an improvement but the ergonomics / geometry is not the same as the factory. The Timney changed the length of pull and the trigger shoe didn’t match the factory. I wish there was a good alternative. I may try the JARD trigger. Otherwise I intend to sell the rifle and move on from ever buying Winchester again.
Nosler had an 3 position safety with their push feed rifle. Remington is just taking short cuts and making "me-too" bro rifles that are like everything else on the crowded market. They need to slow down. Take a look. Put in an outstanding trigger and 3 position control.

You'd think that for what these jokers are charging for robot/machine made rifles they could at least get the safety control right and offer good triggers.
True. The ones in Remington are non adjustable. Set at 3 lbs.
Reply to ND2506.
I have a M70 in 243 with a MOA trigger (BACO model out of the South Carolina plant in 2012 when they first came out) and it is adjusted to 2.8 lb....have a 308 Classic M70 in 308 out of New Haven plant 1993 year with the older trigger and it is 2.3 lbs.....really can't tell the difference in a hunting rifle set up. Both break with no over travel or creep.....guess I got lucky in both.
I have had number of 700's over the years. I will never ever own another. All horrible triggers . Bad enough to garner attention on the news.

The very worst was a 700 Titanium rifle I ordered new at a favorite gun shop. No shop had one to handle as they were too expensive.

I ordered it for a sheep hunt in the Alaskan Range. I should have cut the frizzing thing in half and sent it back !!

7 /08.... safety was as loud as closing my p'up door, Replaced it. 8 lb trigger. I called Rem 9 times , finally same man I had been talking with admitted Rem and been " Lawyered -up" . Right! I replaced it. Horrible key lock, could be put on by fooling around with it in camp....if the key was not available it would not unlock. Did not shoot worth a chit.

Bought a new Weatherby MK V, for my son , same hunt. in .270 WCF. Held 1 more cartridge , longer fluted SS BBL. . Shot much, much better , in a better cartridge than the 7/ 08. AND.. AND weighed within ounces of the crappy Rem.
Plus demanded confidence , something the Rem. could never accomplish.

I went out and got drunk when I sold the SOB.

All that being said the biggest mistake Rem made was letting the Sandy Hook Law Suit get away from them.
Originally Posted by ND2506AI
I heard the Timneys that were in the new 700s were Non adjustable…… any truth to that or was that a lie?

Yes and no. Most models have the Timney Impact 700 which is a non-adjustable, 3 - 4 pound trigger. From a manufacture's standpoint that's probably the best option for $600 - $1000 hunting rifles. The 700 Alpha 1 and the 700 Police models have Timney Elite Hunter triggers that some at 3 pounds but which are adjustable for pull weight and over travel.

My Alpha 1 trigger was beautiful, right out of the box, no discernible creep or over travel and as light as anyone in their right mind would want a trigger on a hunting rifle. I have adjusted it down a bit (mainly just so I could say I did and be like the cool kids) and will use it that way between now and next hunting season for load development/range time. If I find my beat up old fingers are okay with it like that I'll leave it. I suspect, however, that I will be returning it to more like it was originally.
I posted in Long range hunting before seeing this thread.

I just purchased a Mod 700 Long Range 30-06. The stock looks good. The action is 700 smooth but the Timney trigger that came with it is junk. I had to use a screwdriver to get the bolt out to clean the metal shavings left by the factory drilling the rear scope mount. I took the action out of the stock to see if the bolt release was rubbing or just gunked up. I found neither. The channel on the Timney bolt release slide is much wider than the guide pins it's sloppy side to side and doesn't travel far enough in a straight line vertically to fully engage the rifle actions bolt stop release. I can't push the bolt release up far enough to remove the bolt with the stock on or off. I'm not impressed.

It's obvious to me Remington didn't bother to do a function check before boxing it up. It's also obvious Timney isn't putting their best foot forward with this cheaply made trigger. Both outfits missed the mark in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
I concur with the comments above about the new Winchester MOA triggers; they are garbage. Lowest trigger pull you can adjust them to is 4 lbs. and that is not consistent. I replaced the MOA with Timney trigger and it was an improvement but the ergonomics / geometry is not the same as the factory. The Timney changed the length of pull and the trigger shoe didn’t match the factory. I wish there was a good alternative. I may try the JARD trigger. Otherwise I intend to sell the rifle and move on from ever buying Winchester again.
Winchester MOA triggers can be reworked to be consistent & lighter than 4 lbs... the trick is to smooth & polish the contact surfaces, which takes some skill, common sense and the right tools (not a job for everyone!)... that alone will usually lighten the pull by a full lb or more, plus make it consistent... then if you want to lighten the pull further, install an Ernies or M-Carbo trigger spring (i prefer the latter)... Tip: buy several as they vary in pull weight... my 3 Baco Win 70's, 280 Rem breaks @ 2 lbs... the 30-06 @ 2lbs 4oz.. and the 7x57 @ 2lbs 8oz... and all are very consistent...

But not the accuracy of a Rem 700.
Originally Posted by dale06

Based on what? All the M70s I've owned shoot/shot MOA or better with factory ammo.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by dale06

Based on what? All the M70s I've owned shoot/shot MOA or better with factory ammo.
i've only owned 5 Win 70's... 2 USRAC's and 3 BACO's... they all shot .750 or better with handloads... never tried factory ammo...
I have disabled several safeties on early 700 ADL's so that the safety does not lock the bolt down. I think I did one BDL also. I like being able to empty the magazine with the safety on. A three-position safety that block the firing pin is the answer that I can believe in. I do like the safeties on the Winchester 70's, the 03's and the Mausers. Even so, I like Remington's more than any other rifle, though I have had a few 70's that I really liked too.

For me, blocking the firing pin is more important than locking the bolt.
© 24hourcampfire