Home
Posted By: Popapi Which barrel maker?? - 04/13/07
Guys I have a 22-250 with a 1/14 twist and want it to be 1/12 twist which barrel maker would flute a #2 contour with this application??
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/13/07
I doubt if any knowledable maker or gunsmith would flute a two-contour. The two-contour is generally considered too light to flute.

Reminds me of a Weatherby barrel that I saw get "unwrapped" at the rifle range once. Not a pretty sight.

If you want flutes, think of a 3 1/2 or four-contour.

Steve
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
+1 Give Chris at Pac-nor a call. He'll give you the straight poop.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Ok guys thanks the reason I asked is because a friend said it could be done by a custom barrel maker, but I did fine out that Bansner flute his #2 contour brls on his customs..
Posted By: skippy Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Regarding barrels, just wondering which brand would be most used by shooters after accuracy over there.Im from australia and we find shilen or maddco two of the better ones.but there are others available.

Posted By: Teal Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Kreiger, Broughton, Rock, Hart, Shilen, Bartlein (recent addition) are all generaly considered accuracy barrels here in the states.

Opinions vary on all but a guy couldn't really go wrong with any of them for what most people's abilities really are with a rifle.
If I wanted a new barrel in Australia, I would go to Dennis and Robert Tobler in Robertson, NSW. Tobler is as good as anyone and has considerable bench rest experience to back it up.

AGW
Posted By: taxedtodeath Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
If I wanted a new barrel in Australia, I would go to Dennis and Robert Tobler in Robertson, NSW. Tobler is as good as anyone and has considerable bench rest experience to back it up.

AGW

We're not in Australia! smirk
Originally Posted by 280don

Mebbe so but this gentleman is:

Regarding barrels, just wondering which brand would be most used by shooters after accuracy over there.Im from australia and we find shilen or maddco two of the better ones.but there are others available.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
I would add Lilja to the list of very fine barrels.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Lilja will flute as low as a #4 barrel.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
be still my "Hart"
I did not mean to slight Lilja - simple oversite. I know they make some excellent barrels.
Posted By: skippy Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/14/07
Thanks .Main reason i asked was to compare what is available over there compared to what we can get here.Kreiger,Hart, Shilen and lilja are all available.Tobler barrels are not quite as popular as they once were in the bench rest or F class seen,just thought out of the above 4 there may be a favourite .I realise there is not much between them. Given the same cicumstances with a cartrige that is considered hard on barrels have you found one particular brand holds up better than the others.Maddco make excellent barrels over here but they are known to be reasonably soft.
Bench rest shooters tend to follow what wins so it is a fashionable sport as well as a practical one. You will also notice that if a shooter wins the coveted titles with a certian barrel brand, chambering and bullet brand, guess what....everyone is using them next year.

You can bet that Robert Tobler has not forgotten how to make a bench grade barre;, neither have the others. They are all good and sometimes availability of reamer, button in your favored twist, or experience with a particualr caliber can be an issue.

AGW
Posted By: skippy Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
i once had a gun smith tell me the defect we could both see in my barrel would not affect accuracy he then refused to let me look through his bore scope. Barrel was not screwed or chambered. He told me in his words, 'i have sold plenty of barrels with marks in them' i then told him i would like my money back and went and bought a shilen select match and lived happily ever after.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
Originally Posted by Puddle

Correct I called Lilja on yesterday and that's 2what they said Krieger said #4 as well.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
You might get someone other than a barrel maker to flute something skinnier- but the flutes won't be very deep!!!
Posted By: taxedtodeath Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by 280don

Mebbe so but this gentleman is:

Teal,

It is my understanding from his previous posts that he came here to live and work. My remark that we are not in Australia simply was an indication that I don't think the original poster is going to send to Australia for a barrel or have it fluted there?

So what they use over there is immaterial to the original question! Any of the Aussie dialog is little more than a thread hijack!

Popapi asked the original question, not skippy! And it didn't have a damn thing to do with Ozzyland!
Posted By: skippy Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
Sorry mate.Will aproach the site differently next time i have a question.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
Originally Posted by Popapi
Originally Posted by Puddle

Correct I called Lilja on yesterday and that's 2what they said Krieger said #4 as well.

Yup, that's the way it is. It took a lot of discussion (most of it irrelevent) to get the information I related in the very first answer to this post. Four-contour.

Steve
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
But wasn't it fun getting here?
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/15/07
Originally Posted by shootinurse

To some folks, it's all about the journey and not the destination.

My concern was that the original poster, PopEye or whatever, would get terminally confused or make the wrong decision, based on a bunch of nonsense.

It IS irritating, for an old phart like me, to see a clear question, answer it totally/correctly, and then GREAT discussion about absolutely nothing follows. I guess that's the Internet!!!!!

Steve

Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by shootinurse

To some folks, it's all about the journey and not the destination.

My concern was that the original poster, PopEye or whatever, would get terminally confused or make the wrong decision, based on a bunch of nonsense.

It IS irritating, for an old phart like me, to see a clear question, answer it totally/correctly, and then GREAT discussion about absolutely nothing follows. I guess that's the Internet!!!!!

Steve

DogSnapper take a chill pill it's ok just because you made a post that was probabaly correct it MAYBE or COULD HAVE been a barrel maker out there that would have fluted a 2, Mark Bansner flute 2's on his ultimate 1's and Mickey is fluting me a 2 lilja on my custom I know these Kats aren't barrel makers I was just trying to find a maker that did because I didn't won't to get the barrel then take it to a smith for fluting....chill out it ain't that serious I'm not gonna even mention Krieger Criterion fluting 1's on the UltraLites for Weatherby... O yeah it's not PopEye it's POPAPI......DIG?
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You might get someone other than a barrel maker to flute something skinnier- but the flutes won't be very deep!!!
Yes it's looking like that's what I'll do because I want the same contour on my Weatherby Super Predator Master in a 12 twist 2 contour and not 14 twist with the 2 contour for 22-250 I'm sure I MAY can get Steve Baldwin here in Ok. to do it if not then I'll just settle with what I got..
Posted By: one horn Re: Which barrel maker?? - 04/16/07
The people on this site are so nice and considerate of each other. Nobody gets offended easily and we all welcome new posters with a warm hello.
© 24hourcampfire