Home
Posted By: mark shubert Pistol bags - 04/10/24
I didn't want to hijack the other thread re:bags for rifles - so what is the 'fire's opinion on pistol bags that work?
I especially wonder about bags for revolver use (cylinder gap damage, etc).
Any info and explanations in support of your choice are welcomed.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
I use a rag over the bag when I sight in a revolver. But sometimes it gets in the way. ๐Ÿ˜‚ this was a M17 .22lr at 50โ€™. There must be a better way, I hope someone comes along with one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
If there's a better way, I haven't found it. I use a rag or similar to protect the bag. It doesn't take too many top end loads in the big revolvers to shred the rag (or whatever else is in the way of the cylinder gap blast.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
I use a Ransom Rest for load testing. After that I shoot off my hind legs, wobbly sights and all!
Posted By: onehandgunner Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
A square foot piece of leather will work nicely. 2 or 3 oz piece or thicker can be rolled and put in your range bag.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
I have an old Hoppes adjustable front rest and zip tied a folded washcloth over the top to pad it.

To protect the washcloth I use a folded up t-shirt laid over it. The shirt gets the crap blasted out of it while the washcloth stays clean and undamaged. One shirt will last hundreds and hundreds of rounds, just lay it out and refold it when one part gets shredded too much.

Have stored up several years' worth of old t-shirts for general purpose rags, cut up into cleaning patches, etc.

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
When shooting groups with a pistol I sometimes use the front rest I use for rifles. It works fine. But often I'll just use my shooting bag on a table as a rest and brace against that if I'm sighting in a dot or something like that. I don't shoot revolvers much so I'm not including them.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Pistol bags - 04/10/24
Originally Posted by SS336
I use a rag over the bag when I sight in a revolver. But sometimes it gets in the way. ๐Ÿ˜‚ this was a M17 .22lr at 50โ€™. There must be a better way, I hope someone comes along with one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Same here. I also use another bag to support my wrist and barely allow any pressure on the barrel or frame
Posted By: centershot Re: Pistol bags - 04/11/24
I use one of these. The plastic does not get a torn up like cloth bags.
https://mtmcase-gard.com/products/front-rifle-rest-ideal-shooting-rest-for-rifle-shotgun-handgun
Posted By: Mbogo2106 Re: Pistol bags - 04/13/24
Criminy!!, go to hobby lobby and spend 15 bucks on a bag of scrap suede leather. Youโ€™ll find a piece big enough to drape over your bag and you wonโ€™t need to replace it like you would after blowing the crap out of washcloths and t-shirts.
© 24hourcampfire