Home
Posted By: miket_81 New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Over the past few months I have had a grown interest in getting a NULA rifle.
I have 3 guns and a couple scopes that I could sell and have the funds to acquire one.

I know these are high quality guns, but what are your thoughts on if they are worth the 3K price tag?

I have looked but can't find, are these push feed or CRF?

I am thinking about selling a 243, 7mmm-08, and 338-06 to acquire one of these and pretty much use it for everything. Right now I am leaning towards a M20 in 7mm-08. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Speaking as a NULA owner not a writer, if you buy one you will hate yourself. Because--you'll want more of them. My latest is a 7-08 and is very nice indeed.
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
My father-in-law has the third NULA every built in 30-06. So, I have been around one a good bit as that is his "do almost anything" gun (which says a lot since he literally has 100s).

Since there seems to be several gun manufacturers offering lightweight rifles in the more common calibers, I think the best value is a NULA of large or wildcat caliber.

Are you buying as a gun collector, hunter, etc.?
Posted By: dogzapper Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Worth every penny and more.

Push feed; flawless push feed.

7-08 would be marvy; shoot 120s or 140s with Varget and you'll be a happy killer.

Steve
Posted By: DCUP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Not a gunwriter, but I have a NULA 300 Win Mag that was built for me in late 2001.

It is a push feed, and has never failed me in feeding.

It is indeed light. Mine is about 7lbs. with scope, ammo, sling. It's awesome to carry!

Mine does kick sharply, but not so much as to compromise my ability to get under 1" at 100 yards.

When sighting in, make sure you let the thin barrel cool thoroughly between shots. I bring 2-3 guns as a matter of course when I sight in so I can let all my barrels cool between shots.

As for customer service, with NULA it's excellent. Whenever I have had questions, I called and got to talk directly to Melvin Forbes, not some clueless desk jockey who has never even shot a gun before. Mr. Forbes stands behind his rifles 100%.

I'm no rifle expert, but I do know that you could do a lot worse than to go with NULA.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
miket 81,

i had one built recently in a lh 7mm-08 im in the st louis metro area and would be happy to let you play with it.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Oh more as a hunter.. I have a decent sized collection of hunting rifles. 243, 7mm-08, 3 30-06's, 7mag's of different sorts, 2-338-06's 358win among 6-10 others others all pretty nice guns.
Think about down sizing a few to get one that I really would and could use a-lot.

I am not set on chambering. I like the 7mm-08 alot, and already have lots of brass and such. But I would also consider a 7X57 or even a 280AI if he does that one...

Since I already have a few 30-06's and a nice 338-06 that I am going to keep I don't see a need for it to be a much bigger caliber.

Elk is probably the biggest game I would go after and I would have no qualms taking the 7mm-08 out as my only rifle.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Have three of them and totaly satisfied. Never any issue with feeding or extraction. I do like the standard calibers better then the mags, but they all shoot really well. No gunwriter just a owner & campfire guy.
LC
Even more impressive than the NULA rifle is the man. Melvin Forbes is perhaps the finest man I have ever met; gunny, down to earth, friend for life and probably the only bonafide firearms genius alive today.

Steve
Posted By: wyoguide Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Let's talk about the .338/06's you may want to sell.
Originally Posted by wyoguide
Let's talk about the .338/06's you may want to sell.

gringringringringringringringringringrin

Steve
A 700ADL Gone through acion with a shilen 24" #3 in a McM KS stock timney trigger, VX-III 2.5-8X36 in talley LW's.
I had plans to send doug to be coated and MCM to have stock repainted.
Just think I like the WBY SBGM 338/06 I have too much to justify having both even though the 700 is probably a nicer gun...
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
miket_81,

My wife told me a few years back "Why don't you sell some of these and buy a couple of really good ones?" -- with a dismissive wave at the gun safe.

I did the what you propose last year, and ordered a M24 .30-'06 from Melvin. I also have one of Melvin's M90 ML rifles that I bought from him in '93. I sent the ML in for inspection, and also had the stock painted with the current maple leaf camo pattern. I paid for the paint job, but the inspection and fix as needed was on the house. Product support is definitely there.

I have paid more for custom rifles, and not been half as satisfied as I am with this NULA. My opinion is what you get in a NULA would cost way more if ordered from another source.

The M20 in 7-'08 would be an excellent hunting rifle, but Melvin has also built no end of .284 Win rifles too.

I can echo the other folks as to Melvin's qualities. He is unique and if we designated people as national treasures as the Japanese do, he would be one.

jim
Originally Posted by rockchucker
miket 81,

i had one built recently in a lh 7mm-08 im in the st louis metro area and would be happy to let you play with it.

Thanks that is very nice of you. I am about 5 hours away being in the other corner of MO. If I am ever up that way I would like to see it.
Posted By: wyoguide Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
miket 81- I like the sounds of your blueprint. I just snagged a 700 ADL .270 synthetic on closeout at Walmart in Sheridan for $300. Last one they had. Planned to build just such a rifle out of it. I had a Wby ultra light in .338/06 myself. Sold it unfired, and wish I still had it. I've still got the dies, and a box of factory ammo, though. Pm me if you decide to move the 700. Thnx- Jim........
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
Steve,

I could not agree with you more concerning Melvin Forbes and his rifles. He is both a creative genius who can put ideas into action, but also an incredibly honorable man.

I have six of his rifles, and also count him as one of my best friends. It has been a special privilege just to know him.

Anyone who buys one of his rifles has two great experiences to anticipate. The first is to get to know Melvin, and the second is a superbly designed, impeccable rifle.

Steve

Posted By: leftycarbon Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/20/08
There is a LH 06 for sale on BR.COM. Looks ok other than a brake.

Lefty
Posted By: vigillinus Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Mine is a ULA, not a NULA, model 24, got it in 1997, .270 WCF asked for a 26" barrel 1.5 lbs heavier than standard, rifle weighs 6 7/8 lbs. with Leupold VariX III 2.5-8 in Weaver QD mounts which I preferred to Melvin's. It is a superlative rifle and you cannot go wrong with a 7'08 although arguably - and this is what Melvin told me years ago - the best power to weight ratio in the model 20 comes with a .284WCF !!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
I will only note that with MOST of the ULA and NULA rifles I have fooled with (and I have been shooting them for just about 20 years now) it doesn't make any difference at all if the barrel is cold, hot or smokin' hot. They still stack them into the same place. I suspect that any that doesn't has a barrel that didn't quitre make it out of heat-treating perfectly.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
MD and DZ I would like to hear more about your thoughts on these rifles and chambering opinions if you have the time.
Open to others as well...

I am about sold, Lol! just need to get a few sold..
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
My first thought is that they are one of the few bargains on the custom rifle market. Melvin has consistently refused to raise his prices any faster than inflation and materials, unlike some other makers, because (and this is a quote) "I want the average guy to be able to afford one."

This is despite the fact that this stance has caused some marketing problems. One question he often gets is, "How can your $3000 rifle be as good as So-And-So's $6000 rifle?" I have shot and owned a bunch of "modern" custom rifles (syn-stock push-feed type) and have yet to find one that would do anything a NULA wouldn't--and many that wouldn't do things a NULA can.

The NULA would not be my first choice as a dedicated dangerous game rifle, though plenty of people have used them that way. For everything else it would be hard to imagine a more practical hunting rifle.

They balance better than any other lightweight I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. This is because the light action allows more weight to be put in the barrel, out where it helps hold the rifle steady. Some people actually prefer a little heavier barrel on NULA's for this reason. I have had no problem with the #1 contour, but often choose a 24" #2 myself, just because it holds a little steadier--and the rifle is still REALLY light. My .30-06 has this barrel, and still weighs 6.5 pounds with a typical 12-ounce 3-9x scope.

I have hunted with NULA's up to .300 Winchester Magnum and never had any problem with the recoil, but I have also never had any problem killing any big game animal with somewhat lighter rounds either. The .30-06 is a really good choice, but so is the .270 or 7x57 or .284 or .280 or whatever.

The big thing is that (as somebody already said) if you buy an all-around NULA you will probably want another one anyway pretty soon, and maybe more than one. Melvin makes a great varmint rifle too! And a NULA in .257 Roberts or whatever deer cartridge you like is pretty addictive as well.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Here is my model 24 .338-06 on the rim of a Colorado canyon. It is a couple ounces shy of seven pounds loaded and ready to go. I always say I will have Melvin rebarrel it standard .30-06 when I use up my supply of .338 bullets. Trouble is, it shoots so well I keep buying more!
[Linked Image]

I think the 7-08 or Melvin's favorite the .284 would be the ideal deer to elk rifle. Especially for us aging boomers who know how to shoot. Ditto to all that Mule Deer just said. Especially about the #2 contour barrel and wanting more!
Posted By: Daveh Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
I can't add anymore positive too what you've already heard but would recommend you consider a 280 or 30-06 if elk is on the menu. Just my .02

My limited experience with Mel and his rifles are GOOD.

Dave
Meant to add, Probably one of BIGGEST errors since finding the campfire was NOT buying Steve's ULA in 30-06 a couple years ago.

Dave
Posted By: pointer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
I Had just about convinced myself to keep saving my pennies for a semi-custom of some sort instead of a NULA, then you guys start this thread.... laugh

BTW, can the M20's in the 284 Win rounds fit three in the magazine?
Posted By: dogzapper Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Originally Posted by Daveh
Meant to add, Probably one of BIGGEST errors since finding the campfire was NOT buying Steve's ULA in 30-06 a couple years ago.

Dave

Friend Dave,

Yup, it was a major brainfart. The rifle was really clean and it shot amazingly well. I don't recall ever shooting a five-shot group as large as one-inch.

Amazing rifle and I sincerely hope that the fella who bought it appreciates the gun.

If I were to pick the perfect rifle for myself right now, it would be a NULA in .257 Weatherby. And a .223 would be awesome-cool, too. It's kinda looking like my hunting days are pretty much over, so even thinking about it, while entertaining and fun, is prolly totally academic.

Anyway, YEAH, I wish you'd stepped up and bought the rifle that Melvin hunted caribou with and that I killed a fair number of elk with. She still had lots of critters left in her and she was clean, clean, clean.

Steve
Hmm 257WBY....

How about a 280AI in a M24?

What really draws me to the 7mm-08 is that this gun will become my companion and will be using on smaller stuff like coyote as a varmint gun. Those 100gr varminteers would be fun.

What would keep me from going to something in a Mag is I will probably put well over 500 a year though this and worry about barrel wear.

So to me the 7mm-08, 7X57, 284, and if available 280AI are probably a the top of the list..

What about optics?
Not a die hard leupold guy but wouldn't a VX-III 2.5-8 with a B&C be pretty king with this gun?
Steve, I did contact a friend of the fellow that bought the 30-06 and tried to buy it but to no avail......

Mike, The scope choice is fine but I would prefer a VXII with LR. 3-9x40 is my vote. I still would recommend a straight 280 but that's me........

Dave
I haven't ever looked at that reticle. I think I just might like better.. What other reasons do you prefer that scope? Wish they offered in the VX-III.
Originally Posted by miket_81
What other reasons do you prefer that scope? Wish they offered in the VX-III.

The price, the power range, the 40mm obj, the LR duplex. The optics are same as the old Vari-XIII that we thought were fine.

Dave
Posted By: DCUP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Originally Posted by dogzapper

It's kinda looking like my hunting days are pretty much over,

Man, that sucks! frown Why is that? If it's too personal, I understand.
Thanks. Called Melvin, what a neat guy.
The 7mm-08 is looking good right now.
What BBL lenght would you guys recommend?
Thinking 20-21"?
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Counting the muzzle break?
Posted By: dogzapper Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Originally Posted by DCUP

Man, that sucks! frown Why is that? If it's too personal, I understand.

Hey, no problem, life is great. Just getting old; slower, weaker, I hurt in places that didn't used to hurt and I just don't have the drive. Absolutely no regrets here; goodness knows I've had a long and wonderful hunting career.

Steve
Originally Posted by jobyjob
Counting the muzzle break?

It would then be 19" from me having it cut-off!
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Lol.
Posted By: DCUP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08

Hey, no problem, life is great. Just getting old; slower, weaker, I hurt in places that didn't used to hurt and I just don't have the drive. Absolutely no regrets here; goodness knows I've had a long and wonderful hunting career.

Steve

Well, that's good news. More game for the rest of us! wink
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Thanks. Called Melvin, what a neat guy.
The 7mm-08 is looking good right now.
What BBL lenght would you guys recommend?
Thinking 20-21"?

I would go for the magic 21.75" length on a short action. I copied JB's 24" No. 2 in my NULA M24 .30-06. I also recommend going for the stainless steel barrel option as well (resists corrosion; longer barrel life; and likely better average accuracy).

jim
I would go 22". It's not going to effect weight or balance much and it's free..... You can always have it bobbed off but hard to reinstall it.......

Dave
Posted By: JB in SC Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I will only note that with MOST of the ULA and NULA rifles I have fooled with (and I have been shooting them for just about 20 years now) it doesn't make any difference at all if the barrel is cold, hot or smokin' hot. They still stack them into the same place. I suspect that any that doesn't has a barrel that didn't quitre make it out of heat-treating perfectly.

+1, my Model 20 rf is the most consistent .22 LR I've ever owned. They are worth every penny.
Posted By: Jaywalker Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/21/08
Daveh,

I'd think the barrel length won't make any difference at all. I suspect Forbes makes them all balance right at the front action screw, if it's at all possible.

I recall him telling me that the rifle was built around that front screw - whatever weight he put in front of it, he also put behind it.
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
Here is my model 24 .338-06 on the rim of a Colorado canyon. It is a couple ounces shy of seven pounds loaded and ready to go. I always say I will have Melvin rebarrel it standard .30-06 when I use up my supply of .338 bullets. Trouble is, it shoots so well I keep buying more!
[Linked Image]

I think the 7-08 or Melvin's favorite the .284 would be the ideal deer to elk rifle. Especially for us aging boomers who know how to shoot. Ditto to all that Mule Deer just said. Especially about the #2 contour barrel and wanting more!

Very nice rifle. I love the 338/06 and that would no doubt be the next NULA I would get! I have a SBGM 338-06 that I just love.
Posted By: utah708 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
Here is a LH 257 Weatherby, with a 24" barrel.

[Linked Image]

I couldn't even tell you what barrel contour it is; I just asked Melvin to put on the one he would choose. With the 4.5x14 Leupold, it weighs 6 # 14 oz. It is a steady 3/4 inch gun. It kinda made everything in my battery below .30 caliber redundant. It accounted for a one-shot kill at 365 yards for my son this fall on a solid mule deer buck.

[Linked Image]

Other companies have jumped on the lightweight gun bandwagon, but I don't know anyone who has mastered it better that Melvin.

Besides who else do you know that answers the phone at the company he founded?
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08

Steve

Geez DZ, if I lived closer I'd take you out for a road hunt. Whack an ole wiley with your truck gun! cool

Take care,

MtnHtr
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
Originally Posted by utah708

Besides who else do you know that answers the phone at the company he founded?

Ya I was kind of suprised when I called. You wouldn't know it though, A very down to earth and great guy.
Nice gun by the way...
Posted By: 221FB Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
It sounds like there are some folks in this thread that admire and have knowledge about ULA firearms. I have been thinking of selling mine but have no idea what to ask for it. It is a ULA (not NULA) Model 20 handgun made in 1995. The original barrel was a .222 Rem that had been punched out to .223 Rem and a brake added. The .223 barrel literally shot one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards, scary accurate. I later had Dan Dowling put on a Lilja in .221FB, utilizing the original brake. It too is scary accurate. What is something like this worth these days? I still have the original .223 barrel as well. Does Melvin still make handguns?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
No, Melvin doesn't make handguns anymore.

Neither the BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES or STANDARD CATALOG OF FIREARMS even lists the handgun. It might have some collector's value, but you'd have to find the right collector!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
Sorry to hear that Steve.
I've never seen or touched a NULA rifle. But, just based on their design features, particularly their light weight and their muzzle heavy design, makes me think they'd be the last word in rifles for me. If/when I get tried of "tweaking" my custom and semi-custom rifles, I might fall victim to the siren call of one. If I do, it's going to be alot more expensive for me than for some. You see, I know me well enough to know that I will not stop at just one. True Rifle Looneys will understand, I'm sure. E
Posted By: kutenay Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
There was a used ULA in new condition at the gunshop that has kept me broke for years, last summer. It was a .223 and I was very impressed by it, had it been a .284W, .280R or .270W, I would have bought it, no question and I already have a LOT of highend light rifles.

For we "geezers" past 60, who still hung the high country, albeit SLOWER than we once did, I doubt that ANY rifle made would be superior to a NULA and I might get one yet, a nice .284W throated for 160NPs.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
I haven't seen a "Reb Hunter" (I think that's what Mel called it) in years. No idea the value, nice "handgun"...
Posted By: dave7mm Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/22/08
Dont do it E.You cant own just one.I bought a used ULA last year and im already planning on building one.That with piles of customs laying around.
dave
Posted By: MColeman Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/23/08

Now, John. Everybody knows Douglas barrels won't shoot (unless you specified another brand that's what Melvin used.) Ready for anothe CARE package???
Posted By: High_Brass Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/23/08
In one of his article's, John Barsness showed a pic of his ULA in 30-06. Black stock with titanium nitride (sp?) coating on a CM barreld action. Looked plain and simple but I dare say it's the plain and simple you'd want for any kind of hunting where the land tilted alot and the weather wanted you off the hill!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/23/08
Originally Posted by MColeman

Now, John. Everybody knows Douglas barrels won't shoot (unless you specified another brand that's what Melvin used.) Ready for anothe CARE package???

Had to be another "gun writer special" built by Melvin. grin
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/24/08
I have noticed that some have mentioned that he will come down a little off of the $3,000. I have talked to him twice and asked if there was any movement on the price. He didn't act like it.
Which I understand with a 6month wait.
Is there a code word? LOL!

Am now thinking I will need a matching 22LR.
Any preditions on if he will make a combo price? Don't want to offend but am always up for saving a few $$
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/24/08
Why does Melvin Forbes favor the .284 so much? The more I think about this the more I think about an all around NULA in 30-06 or 280 AI instead of buying another Kimber. Thanks Mule Deer for that 280 AI article in Handloader. With 6 months to build it does he take a down payment and then the rest on completion?
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/24/08
I asked him about the 280AI and he said to get the most out of it you need a 24"BBL. He said the 284 has a 150FPS advantage on the 7mm-08. I am wanting somewhere around a 21" BBL and have probably 600pcs of brass already so probably will go with it.
I think it is 50% down.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/24/08
A little discourse on why the 24" barrel in the NULA is a good choice follows, but first the why. My wife is a lefty, and she tried all the factory LH guns in the 90s when she was shopping for a bolt gun. She used a M88 Win lever gun in .308 until then. We used to see Craig Boddington at social events, and she and CB would always talk about LH guns and issues. Craig told her the LH Winchester Classic M70 was imminent (IIRC that was in '96), so we went down and ordered one. She had been reading his Safari Rifles, and had decided she wanted a .30-'06. That rifle came with a 24" barrel.

That is the long way around to part of the reason I specified a 24" barrel on my NULA M24 .30-'06 when I ordered it last year. Another part is John B. has been running one for several years, and the combination was obviously working well. The final part is my 6.5-'06 and .280 Rem have 23.6" (600 mm) barrels, so I already knew that length was not a problem for me hunting. So don't worry about the 24" barrel length in the standard action length NULA rifles.

You can print out the order form from the website, and the specified deposit on order is 50% down.

jim
Posted By: jimmyp Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/24/08
I like a 22 inch barrel, they seem to work best for me but 24 is not a problem. Where do you find 284 brass these days???
Posted By: MColeman Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/25/08
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia
I like a 22 inch barrel, they seem to work best for me but 24 is not a problem. Where do you find 284 brass these days???

Jimmy, I may have a box of 100 Winchester .284 brass (new) in the shop. If I can remember to check tomorrow you can have it.
Mickey
Posted By: High_Brass Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 01/25/08
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia

Jimmy, I may have a box of 100 Winchester .284 brass (new) in the shop. If I can remember to check tomorrow you can have it.
Mickey

Mr. Coleman just can't help but be a darned good guy can he? That's top shelf stuff in my opinion. Sorry for the hijack.
Posted By: Brian Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/03/11
wheres the best place to handle a NULA 24 before i buy one?
Posted By: jim62 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by Brian
wheres the best place to handle a NULA 24 before i buy one?

NULAs are almost always built to order..

They are not a semi-custom rifle like a Cooper that is produced in production quantities at wholsale prices for retail dealers.

There are very few if any gunshops that keep and stock of new guns. Such a shop would be rare enough, that I doubt one even exists.

If you wanted to find out the name of any shops that do stock NULAs, the person to ask would be Melvin Forbes at NULA.
Also a chain such as Cabela's that handles higher end customs for resale may have a few as well.

Other than that, you'd have to find someone local who owned one and ask to handle theirs.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/03/11
Melvin attends some shows each year, and you can handle his rifles there. I expect the NRA Convention will be the next opportunity. You could always go to visit. wink

He is also building some rifles now in his choice of caliber to have on hand.

jim
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
Melvin has gone to the NRA Convention for years, and from a recent conversation I had with him, he will be at the Convention in Pittsburgh this year.

There really is no substitute for meeting him in person. He's a great guy, with amazing knowledge and experience. And he is especially patient and helpful in discussing his rifles. And I have six of them.

Please PM me if you want more info.

Steve
Posted By: docdb Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
I want one in .243Win sooooo badly to augment my .30-06. Melvin's been really great to deal with, I agree.
Don
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
I have a LH 280 Ackley IMP on the way. Melvin had it in stock...it actually was the one that Boddington tested and wrote up last summer. It is a .280, but I asked Melvin to "Ackley" it which is in process right now. Should be a good all arounder w/o the recoil and fuss of the magnums.

Lefty C
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
Originally Posted by docdb
I want one in .243Win sooooo badly to augment my .30-06. Melvin's been really great to deal with, I agree.
Don

Do a 257BOB, It's is what I have to compliment my M24 30-06.. The BOB is such a good fit in a M20. 85BT's for Varmint and 100PT's for deer and lope.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
Sounds like a 6mm Remington might make a nice rig too if were talking 85's and 100's for deer, goats, and such!
That's where my M20 7-08 may go if I ever wear out the current barrel! Of course a .260 would be awful sweet too! I think 7X57 Steve has the right idea... I need six or so of these rifles!!!
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Of course a .260 would be awful sweet too!

Ya' think? wink
Posted By: Kaleb Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/04/11
I have some good light rifles so don't "need" a NULA. I also have a 25-06AI so don't need a 257 Roy. That said only thing that makes sense for me is to get a NULA in a Roy....grin.
Posted By: cwh Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Do NULA stocks come in different shapes, etc to help insure a more "custom" fit? Or, only LOP?
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Just call Melvin.

Steve
Posted By: RaceTire Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Steve,
It's nice to only be about 90 minutes away but in one way it's not good to be so close. Every time I walk in that shop it costs money.
One of the guys mentioned a 280 Ackley. I love mine but being as light as they are there is some recoil. He's got a 7x57 Ackley Improved reamer and when I was up there the last time he asked me what caliber.
I was all ready to do a 7x57 and decided at the last second to do a 280 AI. May go back and get the 7x57AI too. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have one or two more after all "this ain't no dress rehearsal"

Dave
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Race Tire,

Yup, so many options,

and so little money.

Fact of the matter is, that there are a whole lotta chamberings that will really work well.

Just a matter of which one rings our bell.

Melvin can accommodate a lot of dreams.

And very accurately.

Steve
Posted By: RickF Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by cwh
Do NULA stocks come in different shapes, etc to help insure a more "custom" fit? Or, only LOP?

I'm curious about this as well. I would like a NULA, but the one M20 284 I have handled had a clubby stock not much slimmer than a Ti takeoff. Does Melvin make a slimmer model? Thanks.
Steve,
I asked him when I picked up the 280AI where he would recommend seating the bullets. He said "it doesn't matter". I looked at him like he was crazy and he told me just stuff em and shoot em. Most any 120 to 160 and let er eat. He was right. It shoots stuff .100" off just like it shoots the same stuff @ .050" or .025" off. Very little difference.
You know anyone that might be interested in a Zeiss Diavari in 2.5x10x44 with Duplex reticle in matte finish? 1st image plane scope. No box. Never hunted $1200.

Dave
Rick,
I aasure you if he builds one for you and it is fit (LOP) to your taste it won't feel anything but good. As far as I know there is one style stock or at least that is all I have seen. He blocks the mold so the stock is the correct LOP when it is made. Very strong composite and bedded full length with your choice of triggers. He will use about any barrel you want too but prefers Douglas. I don't think you can go wrong with one of his rifles especially if you want a well balanced, accurate and light weight rifle.

Dave
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Melvin can also block the grip area off, molding it slimmer in that area.
Posted By: LBP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Ordering another NULA Monday.

Which trigger should I go with Timney or Jewell?

I have three with Timneys so I know about them. I have heard the bolt lock over ride function does not work with the Jewell is this true? If it is true does the safety lock the bolt closed like the old 700's or is it like the new 700'S?

Thanks for the help...
Posted By: RickF Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. As you know, LOP is easy, but if the grip doesn't fit nothing else matters. And I'm fussier than most that way.

I have been dreaming up the next M70 lightweight custom, I may have to go with a NULA.
Posted By: djp Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Don't even think about it! How am I gonna keep on resisting if I know you have one just up the road?
Posted By: utah708 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Rick--
The NULA does have a chunkier grip than many; it is a feature I don't care for (but have learned to look past.) I would pursue JB's lead that you can perhaps get that modified.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by LBP

I have three with Timneys so I know about them. I have heard the bolt lock over ride function does not work with the Jewell is this true? If it is true does the safety lock the bolt closed like the old 700's or is it like the new 700'S?

Thanks for the help...

And the chamber will be cut with what reamer?
Posted By: herschel34 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks for the help...

I have read before that if you use the Jewell trigger that you do forego the 2-position 3-function safety of the Timney. However, I don't know if the safe poistion of the Jewell locks the bolt.

Mr. Forbes is repairing my first gun as we speak. Provided he can repair my gun, I am planning on ordering a second one. I am going to go with a Model 24 in either 270, 280, or 30-06 with 24 in #2 barrell.

Does anybody know how he suggests length of pull by using height/sleeve length?
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
The Jewell trigger does not lock the bolt. If you do decide on a jewell make sure to have Melvin install when he builds the rifle. Jewells have slightly different dimensions than the Timmneys and typically a small amout of metal removal of the cocking piece needs to be done to get everything timmed right.

I have four NULAS and have the Jewell on one, my .308 and well it is superb..but I am pretty picky about keeping it clean. I am very satisfied with the Timmneys though and have all of them set a 2 lbs.
Talk with Melvin re: LOP etc. He will walk you through it.

Lefty C
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by LBP

Thanks for the help...

And the chamber will be cut with what reamer?

I'm going with a plain ol' 223 Rem. I have a 250 Savage and have had a 260 Rem and a 6x45 (6mm-223).

I just find myself using the 223 for most stuff now days, even the small deer we have around here...
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
The Jewell trigger does not lock the bolt. If you do decide on a jewell make sure to have Melvin install when he builds the rifle. Jewells have slightly different dimensions than the Timmneys and typically a small amout of metal removal of the cocking piece needs to be done to get everything timmed right.

I have four NULAS and have the Jewell on one, my .308 and well it is superb..but I am pretty picky about keeping it clean. I am very satisfied with the Timmneys though and have all of them set a 2 lbs.
Talk with Melvin re: LOP etc. He will walk you through it.

Lefty C

Thanks Lefty thats what I was looking for. I'm going to get a Timney again...
My son has a NULA 223 with a 1X9 twist...he has been comitting murder and mayham with 53 gr TSX's on whitetails.
Pretty sweet in NULA 5 or 6 in the magazine.

Lefty C
Thats what I'm looking for in a left hand version to boot. Lefty what are the specs on your son's rifle?
I'm thinking.

Model 20-S Left Hand
#1 barrel cut at 22"
1-8" or 1-9" twist
1" recoil pad because I like the looks better than the 1/2" pad.
Timney trigger set at 2 lbs
Leupold Ultralight 3-9 x 33

Just gotta figure out what paint pattern. All my others have been typical NULA dark green base with brown and black stripes...
Tan, olive, and black spatter...Ask him to duplicate the LH ackley that he is working on on...you wont be dissapointed.

LC
Is it your Ackley he's working on?
Tan base with olive and black spatter?
LBP

Nothing special on the specs: 22" 1x9 # barrel, 13.5 LOP. Olive tan and black on the stock with the standard recoil pad.

I think it's about 6 lbs with a 3.5X10 Leupie.

Lefty C
Yup my Ackley...just spoke with him Friday....We have used the same pattern of paint on the last two we got from him.

LC
Here are a couple of pictures;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.223 on top .300 WSM on the bottom

LC
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/05/11
That paint scheme is awesome!
Posted By: LBP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
Lefty, I like that 223. You could save me a long wait and put it on the market... whistle
Posted By: RaceTire Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
Lefty,
Nice looking rifles. I like the paint scheme. I know everyone of those rifles shoots too. Melvin builds a sweet piece.
In regard to LOP when I showed up at his shop to order a rifle he looked at me and wrote down my LOP on the build sheet. I laughed and asked him how he knew. He simply stated that he had been building rifles long enough to look at a guy and know the LOP. He was right on.
I know it would be tough for some to order one in person but it sure is a treat to hang around his shop and talk with him.

Dave
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Steve,
I asked him when I picked up the 280AI where he would recommend seating the bullets. He said "it doesn't matter". I looked at him like he was crazy and he told me just stuff em and shoot em. Most any 120 to 160 and let er eat. He was right. It shoots stuff .100" off just like it shoots the same stuff @ .050" or .025" off. Very little difference.

Kerry at MGM has told me this same thing, interestingly enough.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
Not my style but here's a cool NULA...............

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214459441

Posted By: RaceTire Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
JJ,
Melvin's rifles make all of my Redding Micrometer seating dies obsolete! Not a bad thing cause working up a load wasn't near as tough. I am thinking a guy still needs a good seating die though as concentricity is key too.

Dave
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
I wonder why they don't do stainless actions...

John
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
$4k and she's yours...even ship it for free grin

LC
Thanks Lefty guess I will have to wait 6 months LOL...
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
I like Melvin's leaf camo pattern, here it is on my M24 with a dark background...jim
[Linked Image]
I like the leaves too Jim.
Posted By: Jericho Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/06/11
I always thought that a NULA in 250-3000 would be cool to
own.
Posted By: gene270 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
I could be wrong but i think Melvin only uses chrome moly because it is stronger then stainless on the actions.

gene
Posted By: LBP Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Originally Posted by Jericho
I always thought that a NULA in 250-3000 would be cool to
own.

Its a great rifle. I love the NULA's. I have also seriously considered a Remington 700 build after seeng some of the blueprints on this website.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Jericho,

If you imagined the NULA 250-3000 to be a great cartridge in a great rifle, you would be right. I've got one, and it is a sweetie.

Now go get one for yourself!!

Steve
Posted By: miket_81 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
My 3 babies.
Top 50calMZ
Middle M20 257BOB VX-II 3-9X40LR
Bottom M24 30-06 FX-3 6X42LR
Still have to decide on paint on the MZ. Will probably end up matching the other 2 with the CL-CAMO.

That photo of Jim's 06 is what sold me on what pattern I was gonna use on mine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cooperfan Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
My 3 babies.
Top 50calMZ
Middle M20 257BOB VX-II 3-9X40LR
Bottom M24 30-06 FX-3 6X42LR
Still have to decide on paint on the MZ. Will probably end up matching the other 2 with the CL-CAMO.

That photo of Jim's 06 is what sold me on what pattern I was gonna use on mine.

[Linked Image]

You need a .22LR next grin
That is def next in line! As soon as a decent deal pops up on one.
Posted By: gene270 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
good luck on finding a decent deal on one of the rimfires after 3 years i gave up and ordered one from melvin

gene
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Here is my ULA .50 ML, this is the M90 plunger action that I ordered from Melvin in '93...jim
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Cal you shoot smokeless powder out of yours, HunterJim?
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Mike T.,

Tell me how much a brand spankin' new NULA .22 LR will set you back, and I just send you that much for your old M20 .257 Bob.

Deal?
Mike T.,

Tell me how much a brand spankin' new NULA .22 LR will set you back, and I just send you that much for your old M20 .257 Bob.

Deal?

LOL! A 22LR in addition to the other 3 is the plan... That 257bob will probably be the last rifle of mine that would ever get sold. About the perfect rifle for where I live and how and what I like to hunt...

I will sell you a SVM or SBGM for the same amount! grin
Posted By: HunterJim Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 02/07/11
Cal you shoot smokeless powder out of yours, HunterJim?

JJ,

No smokeless, it is a plunger action with a #11 cap nipple at the rear of the barrel. It seems to work well shooting, but cleaning is a pain. Melvin told me he made about 300 of these rifles before he got around to designing his M209 (which can shoot smokeless). He was hunting with the M90 when I bought my rifle from him.

My rifle has a Lilja .500" barrel with a 32" twist and shoots conicals well. I mostly use bullets made for the length limited to twice the diameter rules of a couple of three Western states.

jim
Posted By: sawtooth1 Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
Ok so i'm getting ready to order a 7mm-08 or 308 NULA. I prefer a .308 as for the larger bullets in case i do Elk etc down the road. But, are the barrels so thin that Melvin prefers smaller calibers? Also what paint color do you guys recommend. Really can't find where are the different choices are on his website. Trying to get a feel for what i want before i call him.

thanks,
Posted By: Huntz Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
Plum Crazy with red flames!!!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
sawtooth,

The barrels aren't necessarily "thin" on NULA's. The weight is saved elsewhere, in the action and stock, so you can order whatever barrel contour you want and still end up with a light rifle. In .30 caliber I prefer the #2 contour, which is .6" at the muzzle.

Melviun also doesn't "prefer smaller calibers." Order whatever you want. He'll make you a .416 Rigby if that's what you need.

A #2 between 21" and 24" in either of those would be really nice. I prefer the "traditional" stripes regarding paint. Mine have been #2s and have balanced well and consistently put multiple loads to roughly the same impact, regardless of load and whether the barrel is clean, dirty, hot or cold. I shot my .270 yesterday and tried four different loads, four shots each, and am sure the composite of all 16 shots would have gone less than 2".
Posted By: bhemry Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
He'll make you a .416 Rigby if that's what you need.

If someone would like a NULA in .416 Rigby, here you go...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=307675300
grin (It's not mine)
Posted By: bhemry Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
Correction, that's a ULA, not a NULA. grin
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/23/12
I've seen that gun on line for sale, before. I don't know if it's the same guy trying to sell it or someone else. It's probably in perfect shape... smile

It will take more than a muzzle brake to keep a 7 3/4 pound .416R from stomping the stuffings out of a shooter. Maybe they're buying it, shooting it and then listing it... shocked

I'm currious about the history on this one.

DF
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by sawtooth1
Also what paint color do you guys recommend. Really can't find where are the different choices are on his website. Trying to get a feel for what i want before i call him.

thanks,

Melvin will literally paint it any color you want. When I ordered mine and said I wanted grey with black webbing, he said he wanted me to go "Ooh and Ahh" went I got it. He asked me to go to a store that stocked paint and send him one of the sample cards for the color I wanted it so he could match it, giving me exactly what I wanted.
I wouldn't shoot the Rigby ULA on a bet. I also don't intend to buy another NULA in any cartridge that recoils more than .30-06 and I'm a .300 Magnum fan, just in other rifles.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I wouldn't shoot the Rigby ULA on a bet. I also don't intend to buy another NULA in any cartridge that recoils more than .30-06 and I'm a .300 Magnum fan, just in other rifles.

I'm thinking that gun will get passed around a lot more than shot.

The barrel should last a while... cool

DF
The local public range sights in rifles for a fee and charges $20 more for above .300 Mag. I've never used the service, but told the rangemaster I planned to someday. I told him if I ever become wealthy I am going to buy a .505 Gibbs just so he could sight it in, which he thought was funny. This ULA would be even better.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Ultra Light Arms - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
The local public range sights in rifles for a fee and charges $20 more for above .300 Mag. I've never used the service, but told the rangemaster I planned to someday. I told him if I ever become wealthy I am going to buy a .505 Gibbs just so he could sight it in, which he thought was funny. This ULA would be even better.

He may not think it's too funny after he's sighted one in... laugh

He may want to up his big gun premium.

Ole Gunner 500 shoots his big .505 just for grins... cool

But, he's a recoil junkie.

DF
© 24hourcampfire