Home
Posted By: jwp475 Hat's Off To JB - 05/05/08

JB has tackled many misconception in the shooting industry and set the record straight. Most writers either ignore them or ad to them. Most but not all take the easy road JB on the other hand takes the correct road.
JB was the first to write (that I am aware off) that the WSM did not set new internal ballistics standards, but reached the expected velocity based on powder capacity, while many other writers were stated ther press release BS, that the faster speeds with less pwder were because of a short fat powder colum.

JB als gave us the 1/4 rule. For every 10% increase in case capacity only a 2 1/2% in crease in velocity at the same pressure is possable.
I have only listed a few of JBs "set the record straight articles"

[i]I just want to say thank you JB[/i]
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/05/08
Me, too. Thanks, JB. E
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/05/08
+1
good to have a straight shooter or two around.
Posted By: djs Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
Excellent writer and the main reason I subscribe to Handloader and Rifle!
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
+1 here too.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
HE is the reason I'm a shooter. I take what he says and use it.
Posted By: remseven Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
I kind of like his style with SH these days too!

A whole lot of substance, with this, that, and the other that all seems to tie together , without the this, that, and the other, that just leaves you confused!

I may be in trouble there though, I almost understood myself there for a minute, smile !!!

Posted By: JBLEDSOE Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08

We need more gun writers who tell it like it is. John is at the top of a very short list.

Charles Petty deserves a pat on the back for the article on case prep in the latest Handloader.

Thanks JB, you a credit and honor to JB's everywhere.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
Thanks, guys. I'll just keep tryin'.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
same here....keep up the good work JB
Posted By: OSOK Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
Yep, been reading John's stuff for many years and he's a big part of why I subscribe to Rifle and Handloader.

I've used a lot of the information that he's provided such as fire lapping. My 95 Winchester is now much more accurate after applying this procedure and turned a nice wall hanger into a classic hunting rifle.

I like his common sense and no BS approach to writting.
Posted By: BMT Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
Originally Posted by JGRaider
same here....keep up the good work JB

Yep! Keep it up. Much appreciated.

BMT
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
I agree. I like the writing and point of views of JB. He start questioning (is this word allright?)all the accepted "dogmas" and trying again by himself. And I am sure he would like someone to challenge his discoverings. Good!
Posted By: Frisco_Pete Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/06/08
One of the great articles of all time is Mule Deer's "ADEQUATE RIFLES - TOUGH GAME"
I am guilty of posting large parts of that article on other internet forums when the merde gets too deep. Thanks JB!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
Thanks to JB, I got the bug for the Bob after reading his "Bob Revisited" article....
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
Having caught Magnumitus at one time, I can say John set me straight on what is really needed to kill game. I still like them all, but of late have enjoyed long skinny bullets traveling alot less than Mach 1, but traveling very accurately....
JB gets it done.
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
Having caught Magnumitus at one time, I can say John set me straight on what is really needed to kill game. I still like them all, but of late have enjoyed long skinny bullets traveling alot less than Mach 1, but traveling very accurately....
JB gets it done.
Posted By: bhemry Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
Count me in the upset camp. shocked In a matter of a few short years, he's destroyed decades of "facts" that I'd learned from reading gun magazines and books. I mean first there was the full length vs. neck sizing, then the minimal length of the barrel required to burn all the powder, the fact that I don't need to spend countless hours "breaking-in" barrels, that I probably clean the barrel too often, the aforementioned 1/4 rules, and I could go on.

I mean at one point I almost developed a flinch when I'd sit down to read his next article thinking, "O.K., what 'fact' am I going to learn today that's going destroy years worth of 'research'?" wink All I can say is, "Keep it up J.B.- it's painful, but worth it." grin
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
He did confirm the 264 myth,a 140 at 3200.His articles become the last word on what ever subject he writes about,what higher praise can you say?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/07/08
Originally Posted by bhemry
Count me in the upset camp. shocked In a matter of a few short years, he's destroyed decades of "facts" that I'd learned from reading gun magazines and books. I mean first there was the full length vs. neck sizing, then the minimal length of the barrel required to burn all the powder, the fact that I don't need to spend countless hours "breaking-in" barrels, that I probably clean the barrel too often, the aforementioned 1/4 rules, and I could go on.

I mean at one point I almost developed a flinch when I'd sit down to read his next article thinking, "O.K., what 'fact' am I going to learn today that's going destroy years worth of 'research'?" wink All I can say is, "Keep it up J.B.- it's painful, but worth it." grin

I'm glad to see that you are in the camp that wants to know the truth and are not content to stay with pre-concieved incorrect beliefs... Many can't handle the truth...
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/08/08
I enjoy a good shot of truth. Which is why I subscribe to all three Wolfe mags. My thanks to John and the rest of the crew. By the way, John; Didn't you get something rebarreled to 6.5x55 a while back? If so, write it up, if it's deemed worthwhile.
Posted By: 1B Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/08/08
JB is indeed the most solid gun writer around in terms of both acuracy of his work, willingness to buck the tide, and communication skills.

I'd like to see a new thread that gathers our favorite itemos of 'common wisdom' about rifles that he has debunked over the years. It would do a service to newbies, old pharts with recividist mindsets, and other writers more prone to just grinding out the SOS (same old stuff) they heard eons ago.

My first candidate would be his experiences with different new rifle barrel break-in approaches.

1B

Posted By: Thumper35 Re: Hat's Off To JB - 05/09/08
All I can say is I really enjoy reading all of John's articles. His down to earth and homespun style sometimes has me literally laughing! He really is a good teacher and explains things in a way that is easy to understand and grasp. Seeing things like they are and telling us the truth as he believes it to be. Very few writers have these qualities.

Art
© 24hourcampfire