Home
I never did get my answer.

I am inquiring if an Improved version of the 25-06 will equate to a 257 Roy?

I think the Ackleys are kinda sexy, and the brass would be easier to obtain. Thinking this way I would be certain to get the 3300 fps the standard version is supposed to get.

Think I pist JB off, so can anyone explain his theory of "4" in terms of fps increase vs case capacity?
Jesse Jaymes,

One of my friends hunts with a guy who has a .25-06 AI. He shoots 100 grain Barnes at 3,600 feet per second. This has infuenced me to abandon my quest for a .257 Roy. If I can't find a used Mark V Ultralight by February, I am going to order a new one. It will then get the .25-06 AI.
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Think I pist JB off, so can anyone explain his theory of "4" in terms of fps increase vs case capacity?

I think what you are asking is the rule of 1/4, meaning that for every percentage gain in case capacity, you get 1/4 of the gain in velocity.

ie. 8% more powder, 2% more speed.

I think. But I could be wrong.
Im running 3500 with a 100gr TSX out of mine. That was with WW brass and 60g of RL22. I dont think you can match the 257roy but you can be right on the heels. With Nosler brass im running 3400fps and 57grs and the 100 b-tip.

Keep in mind thats 8 grs less of powder then the roy for the same speed. When I went to build this gun I looked real hard at the bee but its a lot cheaper to shoot the poor mans version smile
I asked myself the same question (not whether it would equal, but would it get close). Obviously capacity is not there to equal.
I got some good input here about the 6.5/06 AI; according to the fellas here who have done it, it gets scaryclose with less powder than the 257 BEE.

Look in the latest reloading manuals and you will see the std. 6.5/06 not far off, nor the 6.5-284 Norma.
My 25-06 AI runs 3568 fps with 60 grains of RL-22, 100 tsx bullet. But figure that's hot, and perhaps grey. You can get within 100-150fps of a Roy, but the Roy always wins.............even a Vanguard version with a 24 inch barrel.
I guess I should have said mine runs a 24inch barrel.
The standard .25-06 WILL get 3300fps with a 100gr bullet. My 22.5" barreled Tikka averages 3307fps with the 100gr TSX and 2995fps with the Sierra BTSP. 53gr of IMR4350 gets me there...
25-284 will put you at 3400ish with 100gr TSX, in a short action. It's really hard not to like.
Capacity equals velocity. The .257 Weatherby wins.

Steve
Yup, We can chase all we want be we are never going to beat it mad
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes

I am inquiring if an Improved version of the 25-06 will equate to a 257 Roy?

Not quite, but it gets you closer.
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Capacity equals velocity. The .257 Weatherby wins.

Steve

We have a winner!!That's the end of this thread wink
257 STW....

IIRC, there is no replacement for displacement, correct?
25/378..... wink

Dober
Only you Mark, only you....going to run 75's, 85's or 87's (grins)?

Well, Steve Timm has been known to eat barrels too......
;)Me thinks I'd use the new 70 TTSX for about 5K, and yeah DZ and JB and I all went to the same school of light em up...grin

Dober
How about a 257 RUM?

Rob
Originally Posted by BrocksDad
How about a 257 RUM?

Rob

Remington's missed opportunity.

Steve
Steve or anyone, any idea what types of FPS could be squeezed with a 257 RUM 100 TSX grain?

Rob
Yeah, capacity always wins. The .257 Roy has about 80 grains of case capacity, the .25-06 AI about 65.

According to the 1/4 rule (which was stated correctly by somebody on this thread) the .257 Roy will therefore get close to 6% more velocity than the .25-06 Ackley AT THE SAME PRESSURES.

That phrase is capitalized because it is important. Yes, you can get .257 Roy velocities out of the .25-06 AI, but only at much higher pressures. This is generally the trick with making an AI cartridge act like a bigger round: load more powder.

At equal pressures the .257 Roy will beat the .25-06 AI by around 200 fps, depending on the load. Thus if somebody is stoking the .25-06 AI white-hot and getting 3600 out of a 100-grain bullet, then the same "loading technique" would get 3800+ out if a 100 in the .257 Weatherby. And some people do. It's that simple.

It also isn't magic. It's just pushing the cartridge beyond the standard limits. Whether this is smart is debatable.
Like I've long said, we can make em do what we want em to do. And when we get to this point it is normally driven by a round someone wants to champion as well as a good dose of ego.

Dober
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, capacity always wins. The .257 Roy has about 80 grains of case capacity, the .25-06 AI about 65.

According to the 1/4 rule (which was stated correctly by somebody on this thread) the .257 Roy will therefore get close to 6% more velocity than the .25-06 Ackley AT THE SAME PRESSURES.

That phrase is capitalized because it is important. Yes, you can get .257 Roy velocities out of the .25-06 AI, but only at much higher pressures. This is generally the trick with making an AI cartridge act like a bigger round: load more powder.

At equal pressures the .257 Roy will beat the .25-06 AI by around 200 fps, depending on the load. Thus if somebody is stoking the .25-06 AI white-hot and getting 3600 out of a 100-grain bullet, then the same "loading technique" would get 3800+ out if a 100 in the .257 Weatherby. And some people do. It's that simple.

It also isn't magic. It's just pushing the cartridge beyond the standard limits. Whether this is smart is debatable.

Lotsa wisdom here.

The handloader can sometimes make a smaller cartridge give the velocity of a larger one ... but the increased chamber pressures significantly reduce the safety margin of both the brass and the action.

Who needs primer pockets that loosen in a couple of firings and pressure that is "iffy"??? Surely not me. I've survived one rifle blow-up and absolutely do not wish to over-tax my Guardian Angel.

If you need the added muzzle belocity, get a larger cartridge.

That's why I bought my Remington 700 SPS .257 Weatherby. I have a perfectly wonderful gain-twist .25-'06, but the .257 Weatherby will absolutely, positively do it "gooder."

Steve
I have had thoughts of a 25-300RCM go threw my head lately. smile

I think 3400-3500 is about perfect for the 100gr in the 25-06AI. I stopped at 3400 because of the one hole groups it was making. Heck I shot a 1.5 inch group at 430 yards this week. I could have run it faster but didn't find the need. I think its going to be a laser beam on deer in 4 days.

[Linked Image]
No substitute for cubic inches.

Only a 257 Weatherby Magnum would trump a 257 Weatherby Magnum but not by much.
© 24hourcampfire