Home
Posted By: Oregon45 Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/23/08
I've got a CZ 550 I dearly love, it was an FS model that now sits in a McMillan CZ AHR pattern stock. When I fire this gun from the bench recoil is straight back and very tolerable. Things change off-hand, however, using a tight forehand grip and the usual hard rear-hand grip the gun bucks up and breaks my rear grip, driving my thumb into the scope's objective bell. Back on the bench all is well. I've used a tight sling, and all it did was bruise up my arm where I'd cinched it into the sling grin

So, what about Magnaporting? I've read hundreds of threads here and on other boards and the consensus seems to be that it has three attributes: (1) eliminates or greatly reduces muzzle rise; (2) has little if any effect on rearward recoil and (3) has little, if any, affect on noise, though muzzle blast is increased somewhat.

The reduction is muzzle rise is what I'm after, but because this rifle shoots so well as is I am loathe to permanently alter it. Is Magnaport the solution, or is there another method to reduce muzzle rise? I could use a different stock pattern, but this AHR pattern carries so well I've really become attached to it. The comb is very narrow and when used with iron sights the muzzle rise causes it to punch me in the cheek. I shot five rounds and came home with a black eye crazy Had to make up a funny story for that...

So, distilled, my question is: have you shot magnaported rifles and, if so, what was your experience?
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/23/08
I would not port it. I would most likely find another stock. I have a 9.3x62 on a Model 70 & it is very pleasant to shoot.
Posted By: Tony Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/23/08
I bought a lightweight 375 H&H that was ported. It was loud and those slits just plain bugged me. I had the barrel cut just behind the ports and really did not notice a difference in recoil or rise. It was stocked in a McM Mountian stock which handled the recoil very well.
Posted By: olhippie Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/23/08
....I'd pass on porting the gun too. I'm prejudiced against such muzzle porting since it so increases muzzle blast, not worth it in a caliber as comfortable to shoot as the 9.3X62 (especially with the CZ550's weight). I agree that the problem you're describing is most attributable to stock design, a straighter combed stock would be a better answer in my book..The CZFS models have that Euro butt stock design which is much inferior to a classic American butt stock, in my opinion, so far as felt recoil is concerned. I have a CZ550FS in 7X57 that isn't a problem with the milder Mauser cartridge but still has more felt recoil than were it to feature a straighter combed classic American style stock.
Oregon-first off it seems hinky to me that the 9.3x62 would be giving you issues. I find it to be a very light recoiler...?

But, to the issue at hand it it's uncomfy then something needs to change. First off you could always rebarrel it to .270... grin

Seriously about magnaporting. I am a big fan of it and would do it in a heart beat. I've done it to a few rigs and the reason why was always to reduce the mzl jump. Of which it is very successful at doing so. I really didn't notice any noticeable increase in mzl report either.

I wouldn't have a mzl brake on a gun for all the tea in china but porting is something I'd do in a heartbeat if I were you.

I'd say get after it!

Dobro
Posted By: Thumper358 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08

If it were me, I would port it..It will tame the buckaroo! I agree on the problem with the stock design, but you have it a high end stock already, so, I would spend the few extra bucks for the Magnaport. I ported a M70 300WM and it shoots and handles great. I let a guy use my rifle to shoot a moose in Newfoundland, and the first thing he said after shooting it was he noticed he still saw the moose in the scope. I think it's designed basically for muzzle flip, but I think it reduces recoil a bit IMO..

Art
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08
How are you built? Very often we get little or nor muzzle rise from the bench because we are hunched forward into the stock, which tends to place our shoulder higher on the recoil pad. Thus a straighter recoil push.

But if you have a longer neck and/or sloping shoulders this all changes from offhand. Here only the bottom of the recoil pad (the toe) contacts our shoulder. This causes the muzzle to flip up.

I would suggest that your pain is mostly a result of stock design not matching your build. But if you really, really like the stock, then Magnaporting may be the answer. It is generally more effective, though, on higher-intensity cartridges, with higher muzzle pressure. (The same applies to muzzle brakes in general.) The 9.3x62 is definitely not on the high-intensity end of big game cartridges, so the effect of MP'ing won't be as great as with, say, a .300 magnum.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08
Would changing the length of pull on the stock have any effect? Right now it is the standard 13.5"

As for light recoil, I was getting an average of 2500fps (for ten shots) from Speer 270's this afternoon grin In a 7 3/4 pound rifle laugh

Here's the rifle in question; the stock really has excellent handling qualities, and in a lesser cartridge would likely present no issues at all:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08
Try the original FS stock. My 9.3X62 550FS doesn't do anything like that.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08
I had the original stock, and it was good in terms of controlling muzzle rise. It was less good at resisting moisture. grin
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/24/08
Is that the original stock behind the current one? I assume it is in which case is has significantly more drop at the comb than the current one. That might be a clue to the problem, as suggested by JB.

While the recoil is not insignificant, yet it appears to be about 34 - 35 ft-lbs, which should not wreck your confidence or cause a bleeding nose or thumb in and of itself. grin
Your dealing with a stock that apparantly does not fit you and your a tad recoil shy IMO...The 9.3x62 is a mild recoiling rifle, so a new stock or a reshapeing of the one you have may be the answer...

A muzzle brake is an option and they certainly work, but you do get a bit more blast, but big guns make big bangs with or without a brake and can damage your hearing with or without a brake.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/25/08
Also, the wrist of the stock appears very deep (thick) to me. Depending on the size of your hands, that could make it more difficult to hold onto firmly under recoil. smile
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/25/08
I only ever had one rifle Magnaported. It was a 7-08 in a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle. Reason - I was suffering from a pinched nerve in my neck which in turn affected my right arm.

While receiving treatment for the pinched nerve I was told I might have to give up shooting.

The mountain rifle had significant muzzle rise before the porting which in turn I could feel in my neck during recoil. After porting the problem went away. The recoil came straight back.

Since it worked on the relatively light recoiling 7-08 I am sure it would help even more with a 9.3.

Jim
Posted By: zxc Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/27/08
My 35Whelen is mag-na-ported. Reason I did this is I traded a 338 win mag off on it years ago, the 35 felt harsh when firing from the bench and about the same as the 338 offhand. I wanted a lighter ,shorter, pleasent recoiling rifle when i went to the whelen. After porting that's what i got. It recoils straight back, felt recoil seems about 1/3rd of what it was pre-porting. The whelen now has 30-06 class recoil and the power of a 338 win. in a short , light package. I have not noticed any increase in sound levels when shooting in the field unprotected.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/28/08
I Mag-na-ported my .35 Whelen and I'm glad I did! Recoil comes straight back and the muzzle rise is noticably less. My RSM in 375 H&H isn't Mag-na-ported but handles the same as my .35 because of the stock design. I have to agree with the posters who think it's a stock issue, the new one doesn't seem to fit you correctly.
Posted By: SoTexasH Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/28/08
I have been considering a 9.3 x 62 and they seem to be a fairly mild recoil cartridge in the medium bore catagory. Sounds like a stock thing.. For whatever reason this particular one isn't the best for you.
Posted By: 505ED Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/28/08
If it is stock design I'd change. I have a Blaser R93 tracker that weights about 7lbs with a scope on it. It is very mild in recoil, and one of my faviorte rifles.

9.3x62 is fast becoming my fav, for a do all round. It kill's on one end without doing it on the other

Ed
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/28/08
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to try installing a 1/2" spacer under the recoil pad to lengthen the stock a bit as I shoot off-hand almost exclusively.
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 11/28/08
I have a Weatherby 338-06 in the Ultra Light stock. Muzzle rise was the problem. I had it Mag-na-Ported and it solved the problem entirely! Felt recoil was also reduced to a little less than 30-06 levels. Sound level is not noticeably louder, but I am deaf as a post.

+1 on Mag-na-Porting.
Posted By: hatari Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 12/02/08
I'm another that finds the recoil on the 9.3 X 62 very tolerable, and the muzzle rise minimal. I am also inclined to look at the stock dimensions. By your photo, the comb seems to be pretty much straight line and the barrel is not a pencil, so ???????

Magna-port will help, but I cut it off my 8mm mag. Barnes X bullets fouled the bore around it, and it was just darn loud to be around.
Posted By: Dre Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 05/31/19
I know this is an OLD thread, but my 9.3 kicks too hard for me. I didnt think I was recoil shy. But my sauer 100 makes me hate squeezing the trigger.
If I can't sell my 9.3, Im thinking of adding a muzzle break where I can turn the ports off. When hunting I don't feel jack, but on on the bench. no thanks,
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Dre, I too have same Sauer 100. Amazingly accurate. Due to neck injuries recoil was an issue. The factory recoil pad is too damn hard. Several people at Sauer said it was screwed on. After cutting it off i say yes but you will never find the screws. Also, for me, the length of pull was way too long. I cut it off and installed a limbsaver slip on recoil pad to correct length.Now entirely more comfortable for recoil and handling. I too researched a muzzle brake. If you go that route, choose your gunsmith carefully.
Most place the barreled action in a jig to install a muzzle brake. The Sauer is not a conventional action and most don't don't have the correct one. I may be all wrong but that was my experience. I am sure it's simple but don't let Bubba do it.Hope I was able to help a little.
Good Luck!
Uneducated here, but was hoping the 9.3 was not a huge step over the 06 in recoil. Wrong?
Does it kill proportionally better?
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
I have a CZ550, don't see any need. Yes it does kick, but not as sharp as many others. Kind of a large slow push. At the bench it does tend to overcome the tolerance for recoil but for myself after 15 rounds. I HATE the Magnaported barrels, LOUD and obnoxious to anyone close by. Don't see the need. In the field, I know it went bang but the recoil is irrelevant.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by Dre
I know this is an OLD thread, but my 9.3 kicks too hard for me. I didnt think I was recoil shy. But my sauer 100 makes me hate squeezing the trigger.
If I can't sell my 9.3, Im thinking of adding a muzzle break where I can turn the ports off. When hunting I don't feel jack, but on on the bench. no thanks,

If it doesn't bother you when hunting, only on the bench, you could just use a sandbag full of shot between the rifle and your shoulder when shooting from the bench. The extra weight soaks up the recoil, and spreads it over a wider area. That way you don't need to alter your rifle.

The other, even simpler remedy would be to do your zeroing from a position where you can roll with the recoil. Rather than hunching down over the bench, try kneeling behind it, or setting yourself up to shoot from a standing rest.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Uneducated here, but was hoping the 9.3 was not a huge step over the 06 in recoil. Wrong?

I have shot a couple of 9.3s, and have a 9.3x74R double rifle. With a properly-designed stock, I don't find them to be much of a step up in recoil from a .30/06. In fact I have one .30/06, with a bit too much drop and a narrow comb, which is noticeably more punishing than my 9.3.

On bigger animals, eg water buffalo, the 9.3 seems to perform noticeably better than the .30/06, from what I've observed, all else being more or less equal.
Posted By: Dre Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Thanks. I just ordered the slip on air limb saver. I have been waiting for a direct fit, I even contacted lib saver about year apart and doesn't look like one will be available any time soon.
anyways.
If recoil pad doesn't doo the trick, I might get a clamp on muzzle break for range session. Or sell or safe queen. who knows.

Regarding killing proportionally, I have 0 kills with the 9.3, but few elk with old 06.
i can shoot the 06 just fine and no shoulder pain. I'm getting MOA at 2900fps with 168 TTSX. Not much I can't kill with that.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks. I just ordered the slip on air limb saver. I have been waiting for a direct fit, I even contacted lib saver about year apart and doesn't look like one will be available any time soon.
anyways.
If recoil pad doesn't doo the trick, I might get a clamp on muzzle break for range session. Or sell or safe queen. who knows.

Regarding killing proportionally, I have 0 kills with the 9.3, but few elk with old 06.
i can shoot the 06 just fine and no shoulder pain. I'm getting MOA at 2900fps with 168 TTSX. Not much I can't kill with that.

I don’t think you’re leaving much on the table, going with the old ‘06, IMO.

I’ve had both, still have the ‘06. Like you, I’ve killed plenty of stuff with the ‘06, never bloodied my 9.3.

I don’t feel undergunned. But I do have a .375 H&H, although it’s never drawn blood, either.

DF
I load 232 grain Vulcan s with 15 grains Trail Boss. Recoil is like 22 rimfire. Great for endless practice,especially off the sticks and offhand shooting. Great way to thoroughly learn your rifle, trigger, and muscle memory. Sometimes hunting happens quick and you need to be instinctive when chit happens.Happy Hunting
Posted By: ftbt Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
I have a Tikka 9.3 x 62. (And a CZ 375 H&H). I installed a Ken Rucker "Bump Buster" on both rifles. Works like a charm. See:

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com

Dre
I think the 30-06 is the perfect companion for 9.3x62. 168 gr ttsx@ 2900 or 130gr ttsx@ 3200. What's not to like? KISS
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Dre

If it doesn't bother you when hunting, only on the bench, you could just use a sandbag full of shot between the rifle and your shoulder when shooting from the bench. The extra weight soaks up the recoil, and spreads it over a wider area. That way you don't need to alter your rifle.

The other, even simpler remedy would be to do your zeroing from a position where you can roll with the recoil. Rather than hunching down over the bench, try kneeling behind it, or setting yourself up to shoot from a standing rest.

+1 on using a different position for zero'ing. The guys who regulate the factory big boomers use a stand up arrangement that allows the body to roll with the flow. When I was baling hay on a regular basis, I always left one 5ft diameter round bale at the top of the hill by my rifle range. Would throw a jacket or old blanket on top of it when when I wanted to shoot or zero a .375H&H or .30-378. No issues with recoil. And could shoot MOA groups if I took my time and settled into each shot.
Posted By: Dre Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Thanks everyone.
That bump buster is cool but damn Gina! it is not cheap. $240 and possible gun smith work. I will have to pass on that at this time
Texson2,
my other rifle is 270 with 130 TTSX at 3100+ fps using Hunter ,The 06 uses big game. I almost got the 35Whalen to have the trio.
I go out with my 10/22 for jacks and I get good quick shouldering work out.
Also, is your limb saver slip on a medium? I feel like the M is little loose.
Posted By: hanco Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Sooner or later if you port the rifle, you will forget ear protection. You won’t be happy when you light it off. The same for muzzle brakes.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19

I don't find my FN based 9.3x62 to be any harder to shoot than my 06. Same with my CZ550 FS, Maybe its just me. Mostly shoot 250 accubonds at 2650 fps
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/01/19
Originally Posted by sidepass

I don't find my FN based 9.3x62 to be any harder to shoot than my 06. Same with my CZ550 FS, Maybe its just me. Mostly shoot 250 accubonds at 2650 fps

I'd guess stock fit, gun weight and your shooting technique are important issues.

I didn't find my 9.3 to be that bad, nor my .375 H&H, even my good buds 500 NE Merkel.

They kick differently, for sure. Non as bad as a light weight 300 Win Mag that I subsequently traded.

DF
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/02/19
If you are shooting multiple rounds from a benchrest you might want to consider a Past Recoil Pad. I wear one if I'm going to shoot more than a few rounds from my 9.3x62 or one of my other kickers. I have a 300 WM, 358 Win and 45-70 that all kick worse than my heavier CZ 9.3. When hunting, I never notice the recoil on any of my rifles.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/02/19
Seems I remember a picture of Elmer Keith shooting a big gun off a standing bench.

I got long legs for my bench, just haven’t used it like that yet.

That seems to make a big difference.

DF
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/02/19
Slip on pad on the rifle, Past Recoil Shield and standing bench should cure all your problems. The "right kind" of brake is not that loud nor have I ever found mag Na Porting to be that loud. Of course, I've never found Magnaporting to do more for recoil other than keeping it out of your face. It just keeps the front end down better.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/05/19
My 9.3X62 550FS doesn't kick as bad as a .300WIN and less than a .375H&H. Try a softer recoil pad.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/06/19
Originally Posted by husqvarna
My 9.3X62 550FS doesn't kick as bad as a .300WIN and less than a .375H&H. Try a softer recoil pad.

I would agree , I find mine has minimal recoil personally , but I suspect there’s probably close to 2 lbs difference between the cz and his rifle
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/06/19
I sent my Savage 99 to Magna-Port because even in .308 the muzzle jump was excessive. They formed four slots near the muzzle that eliminated muzzle jump and reduced recoil a bit, too. Money well spent.

Sherwood
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/06/19
Yes the Sauer is a lot lighter than the cz. I shot a friend's cz before buying the Sauer. The cz was very pleasant, to my surprise the Sauer was rather sharp. Sauer lop is too long. I cut the stock, installed limbsaver slip-on. Tamed it right down. Pussycat now.
Posted By: Dre Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by Texson2
Yes the Sauer is a lot lighter than the cz. I shot a friend's cz before buying the Sauer. The cz was very pleasant, to my surprise the Sauer was rather sharp. Sauer lop is too long. I cut the stock, installed limbsaver slip-on. Tamed it right down. Pussycat now.

What size limb saver did you slip on and how much did you cut off? An 1”?
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/07/19
It takes a medium. As stated you'll play hell finding the screws in the Sauer factory pad. When you cut it off you will discover what I'm talking about. I started by cutting the old pad off and then proceeded to cut off more until achieving right lop for me, Probably another 1/2 inch. That Sauer stock is well made and tough, it ain't no tupperware. Very well made rifle. I was skeptical, barrel is heat shrunk on, not threaded. The aluminum bedding block is unique in engineering as well. It shoots bug hole groups. You can't argue with results. Two inch groups@ 400 yards. It's going Brown Bear and Elk hunting this fall. After a lifetime shooting a 375 h&h, I can't believe it's staying home. It took a lot of shooting the 9.3 to change horses. They're all good, just choose the one you want to ride. Happy Hunting!
Posted By: Dre Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/07/19
Thanks Texson. I found the holes. Just have to spread the rubber where the screws usually are and you’ll see the cut slots.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/10/19
I responded to this conversation eleven years ago when I owned neither a Ma-Na-Ported rifle, nor a 9.3 x 62. But I did own a CZ550 in .458 Win Mag.

Eight years ago I bought a TIKKA T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. It weighed 6.7 lbs without scope or ammo. Today, it weighs 7.7 lbs fully loaded with four cartridges and a 3-9x40mm scope.

Recoil isn't merely a matter of what particular cartridge a rifle is chambered for, but there's a great difference in how one may load it, if a handloader. Mild loads can give rather mild recoil effect. But hot loads with a heavy bullet can transform it into the equivalent of a .458 Win Mag with mild factory loads. How do I know that? Just ask me!

I loaded my CZ550 to equivalent Lott loads just by seating the bullets "long". Those bullets were 500s at 2200 fps, and some well beyond that! 350s were leaving at well over 2700 fps!

Today, I have a Ma-Na-Ported Ruger Tropical No.1 in .458 Win Mag. Loads are approximately the same, but recoil isn't. It weighs about 1-lb less than the CZ with one in the chamber and four on the stock, and with a 2-7x32mm scope. But recoil is reduced by about 15%, plus muzzle jump is greatly reduced. And, I don't notice a greater muzzle blast when woods hunting without muffs.

My TIKKA Lite in 9.3x 62 is easily the equivalent of a .375 H&H in ballistics when using RL-17 behind a 286 NP or 320gr Woodleigh at over 2400 fps. At a mere 7.7 lbs it has a healthy 50 to 52 ft-lbs free recoil.

I've shot a lot of heavy stuff over the years, including "hot" .45-70s in a #1 Ruger, and recoil is only a relative thing. It mostly depends on what you habitually shoot -- if a .243 Win, then a 9.3 x 62 might be troublesome no matter the stock.

I've owned and used 8 different .300 Win Mags loaded "hot" and they seemed mild by comparison to some others. Also. a .300 Wby and a .308 Norma Mag, two .338 Win Mags, three .375 H&Hs and three .458 Win Mags, plus a bunch of .45-70s and some other mediums.

Today, I'm closer to 84 than 83 and weigh a mere 162 lbs, just so you know.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: hatari Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have a CZ550, don't see any need. Yes it does kick, but not as sharp as many others. Kind of a large slow push. At the bench it does tend to overcome the tolerance for recoil but for myself after 15 rounds. I HATE the Magnaported barrels, LOUD and obnoxious to anyone close by. Don't see the need. In the field, I know it went bang but the recoil is irrelevant.

I love the 9.3 x 62. Can't add more to the above.
Posted By: ftbt Re: Magnaport a 9.3x62? - 06/10/19
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by smithrjd

I love the 9.3 x 62. Can't add more to the above.

I also have a Tikka 9.3 x 62. I installed a Ken Rucker "Bump Buster" hydraulic recoil damper systemic it. Works great. You can dial in the amount of recoil reduction. I also have Bump Busters on my CZ 550 .375 H&H and H&K SLB 3000 .30-06.
© 24hourcampfire