Home
Posted By: GoDucks1 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
I'm going to be moving into a new rifle soon, and I'm trying to decide between these two. I've seen conflicting reports at different sites when trying to compare them performance-wise.

So, I was wondering if some of you guys might be able to weigh in with some information on the performance of these two cartridges. I am going to be shooting factory ammo for atleast the foreseeable future, if that makes a difference. Also, I need this gun to be versatile, and based on what I've read there are more bullet options (as far as weight) for the 7mm. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Go Ducks
Posted By: southtexas Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
what do you plan on using the rifle for?
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
Big game here in Oregon. Black bear, blacktail deer, elk, and probably antelope at some point. Also possible cougar.
Basically what one will do the other will do especially out to 500 yds.

Now if you're into micro mgt of ballistic gack and minutia then the 7 is gonna be the top dawg!

Dober
Posted By: AFP Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
I don't even know if I should respond, since my daughter starts OSU this fall. wink

One thing to keep in mind is 270 WSM brass and ammo is easy to find. 7mm WSM stuff isn't always so easy to find. If I were to get a 7mm WSM, I'd by 500 rounds of brass at the same time. then I'd not worry.
Blaine,
Sorry to hear about your daughter (jk, I have a lot of friends up there and they love it.) Thanks for the information.
Posted By: kciH Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
What rifle?
I'm pretty open that right now. Two that have been catching my eye are the 700 and the Savage 16fxp3. I don't have a lot of experience with firearms, but the 700 is legendary and I might be able to get a deal on the savage and I've heard positive things about them.
Posted By: NathanL Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
If you like you say you will be shooting factory ammo I think the .270 is the way to go tho personally I think the 7mm is a better round and am suprised it did not take off like the .270wsm did/or as well. Hit a couple of websites and while they have both in stock there is almost a 2:1 advantage in number of brands/loads in the .270wsm over the 7mmwsm.

I think in the future that gap will widen. The 7mmwsm is down to a handful of factory rifles like Browning/Savage/cooper I believe/Howa while the .270wsm seems to be in nearly every line up that includes a .300wsm.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
GoDucks1,

While the 7mm WSM has an edge over the 270 WSM in terms of bullet weight and downrange ballistics they are not great differences. If your going to be buying factory loads then the 270 WSM is the only way to go. It seems the 7mm WSM is on its way out.

What happened was that Winchester made an error when they first introduced the 7mm WSM and 270 WSM together. They made the headspace on the 7mm WSM the same as the 270 WSM. That is no good from a safety standpoint as then a 7mm WSM could be chambered and fired in a 270 WSM. Thats why the 280 Rem. has a longer headspace than the 270 Win.

Winchester had to recall the 7mm WSM rifles that were made, redesign the 7mm WSM cartridge and rechamber the existing rifles. This much later introduction of the 7mm WSM got it off to a very late start and it never recovered. Too bad as I have both and I prefer the 7mm WSM. It's not going to be that easy to make 7mm WSM brass if its discontinued even though I handload. Not a good thing at all.
Posted By: ACLakey Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
I too would go with the .270 WSM.

If you are looking for 7mm WSM type performance than you would be much better off to look at the old 7mm Remington Mag. Ammo and components are much easier to find and it is available just about anywhere.
Posted By: RockHopper Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
Originally Posted by ACLakey
much better off to look at the old 7mm Remington Mag.

I agree with that. It seems around where I live at least, that the 7mm Rem Mag is the ugly stepchild that nobody wants right now.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
If Winchester chambers the new FW or EW in 7mmWSM,I may be interested in one if they've managed to figure out how to make them feed without rounds jumping the magazine well.

I have only a passing interest in the 270WSM.Actually neither round does anything the 7 RM does not do as well.So,it;s just a question of what shape case you want to do the same things.

Of the two, the 7WSM is the better round IMO.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
I have owned 3 Remington 700s in 270 WSM and like the cartridge. The most significant, but almost meaningless, difference between the 2 cartridges is probably the 0.007" difference in bore diameter, 0.277" vs. 0.284".

Yes, you CAN shoot heavier bullets in the 7mm WSM, but how often are you going to shoot bullets heavier than 140 grains from either of them? If alot, buy the 7mm WSM, if not, its a draw.

Yes, you CAN buy competition grade bullets to reload in the 7mm WSM, but how often are you going to shoot competition with a 7mm WSM? If alot, buy the 7mm WSM, if not, its a draw.

My advise is to forget both of these cartridges and get your dealer to order a Remington 7 in 7mm SAUM from Zanders Sporting Goods at their current $425+/- close-out price. If the 7mm SAUM is a short action 280AI, what more do you need for the game you intend to shoot?

Jeff
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
Either caliber in an accurate rifle could be a great sporter.

The 7mm got a later start, then speculation of it's death created a weak market. But it is just as well, if it had caught on at the beginning, that is the only rifle most folks would ever need. arms sells would probably be off for a lot of general do-all calibers like the 7 RM and 30-06.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
300 WSM.

What was the question again? <grin>

Oh... and... Goooooooo Ducks!
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
No difference in field performance for a handloader. If you use factory ammo go for the 270WSM.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
Not too many rifles chambered in 7 WSM these days, so you'll probably have better luck finding a 270 WSM as they are relatively common anymore.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
I perfer the 7 myself.As most of the posters stated look into the 7 Rem mag.It would give you way more options in terms of rifles with the rem.
Posted By: peepsight3006 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
If elk are involved, I like the 175 Partition, especially on close range, straight away shooting. Bigger is better for all things related to dark stuff hunting.

Wayne
So am I read all of these ballistics charts right that indicate the 7mm mag performs basically indentically to the 270 wsm with a wider selection of bullets, 2 more inches of barrel (assuming the 26" is recommended, but I don't know), and a little more recoil?
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/22/09
Think you should be able to exceed velocity of the WSM with any barrel lenght in the 7 Rem mag.Myself I perfer 26 inch tubes on all belted magnums.As low as I'd go 24.
Posted By: 340boy Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
I had a 270WSM, and I liked it.
If the 7 WSM was readily available in say, the Kimber Montana, or Sako 85, I would probably own one...
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
If I go for another 7 it prolly be the 284.Between the Sock-O and the Kliengunther I'm set up not too bad.
Sounds like fun, Mike.
Since I sold my 7 RUM, I am without any 7s.
I am thinking of maybe a 280 or like I said, a 7 Whizzum if I can find a decent rifle in same.
Should go the same as Randy..Tell me what you want.Gotta guy who'll build it at my price and can ship to a ffl.Happen to know he had or has a Rem 700 mag bolt face action.
I forgot, Mike.
What is Randy building??
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Mike/Tim: You guys don't need anymore rifles!.....knock it off and fuggetaboutit cool grin
Ahem, you have a good point, Bob...
whistle
Tim: I am only kidding....build and buy all you want....besides...you do need a 7mm,and preferably one with some goat glands wink
I know you were kidding, Bob.
I think you are actually right, however, I enjoy engaging in hypotheticals, especially with Mike!
grin
Tim

He wants to build a STW when it permits.

Howdy Bob.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
7STW,
I prefer the 7 myself, so bought two 7 WSM Kimbers so I can have choices...
One S/S one Blued?
Posted By: Scorpion Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
If I didn't reload, it'd be 270 WSM. Otherwise, 7mm WSM hands down.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Yep, one Montana, one Classic. FWIW the Classic action is a heck of a lot smoother than the Montana. Maybe I should cycle more rounds through the Montana... grin
Nice.That would be a sweet combo.
Posted By: AFP Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
If you really want versatility to all big game in Oregon, you cannot beat a 30-06. However, don't be misled by published ballistics. The Springfield was designed with lower pressures in mind, and 30-06 ammo and handload manual data has reflected those lower pressures since.

To give to an idea, you can shoot a 168 grain TTSX at 2900 fps+ from a 24" barrel. That bullet has a BC of .470. It makes for a very flat shooting rig that will handle deer, black bear, and elk very well. Further, recoil is mild evven when you get a rig--like my M-70 Classic--that weights 7 3/4 lbs with the scope.
Posted By: AFP Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
However, if you are still bent on a 7mm WSM, here is a good one:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...lat/Number/2974092/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD
Posted By: kallen Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
IMO, the difference in these cartridges is minimal. If your going for BC then the 7mm, but what are we talking at reasonable range...a couple clicks on the scope? For either cartridge over a certain range your going to be clicking the elevation on the scope so the .277 is going to take a little more.

I have heard that people are plenty happy with the .270 130 gr Barnes TSX for dispatching animals. It seems to me that it starts getting into how much recoil do you want for that added performance?
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
I've got a 30-06 currently, so I want some variety. My 30-06 is a pre-64 (I think featherweight) hand-me-down, and I can't justify taking it out in the elements for every single hunt. Therefore, I'm looking for a stainless/synthetic, struggling on what caliber.
Posted By: Metsamies Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Originally Posted by kallen
IMO, the difference in these cartridges is minimal. If your going for BC then the 7mm, but what are we talking at reasonable range...a couple clicks on the scope? For either cartridge over a certain range your going to be clicking the elevation on the scope so the .277 is going to take a little more.

I have heard that people are plenty happy with the .270 130 gr Barnes TSX for dispatching animals. It seems to me that it starts getting into how much recoil do you want for that added performance?

All I can say is you said what I was thinking.

GODUCKS1: I am a 270 WSM shooter mainly because I like the 270. I also like the 7mm hard to choose between the two. IMO no matter what you pick if you like it and it makes you happy you made the right choice.
Hey,Mike! Tim needs a 7mm and you should help him design and build one....I do not want you boys deprived in any way! grin
Posted By: djs Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Both are pretty much the same with premium bullets, but the 7mm WSM offers slightly heavier bullets. As mentioned previously, the 270 WSM brass is easier to obtain, but Midway and other mail order firms offer the 7mm. To be safe regardless of which you choose, I'd order enough brass (500+ cases) to last a long time.

Basically, either will do the same job, but as a general rule, I prefer a 7mm (it is a widely-known scientific fact that the extra .008" of the .284" bullet vs. a .277" bullet makes the 7mm a REAL game slayer!).
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
groan......... I just knew that the WSM and other short cartridges were going to spark a whole new round of "whats better, 7mm or .270?"

Posted By: medicjim Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Standard (non-mag) loadings should suffice for just about all hunting requirements in North America inside 500 yards. The WSM (or other overbore mag) simply delivers a solution with greater velocity and shorter barrel life. Any accomplished shooter can make lethal hits in wind at 500 yards with a .308

The 7WSM shines when you want to shoot VERY long range with manageable recoil in a hunting weight rifle. The cartridge is very consistant, fits in a short action and the capacity balances well to the premium bullet selection for the caliber. I built my 7WSM around the 175 sierra and 180 gr berger match bullets...with a nice brake, it kicks less than a standard .308 and has very good wind and drop performance out past 1000 yards.

If you don't handload... the 7WSM is an exotic...but then, so is the 270 WSM. Most work is done equally well by a basic .308 or 30-06 with premium factory loads.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hey,Mike! Tim needs a 7mm and you should help him design and build one....I do not want you boys deprived in any way! grin

I've been trying my best.Randy's seen the light now it's Timmys turn.
Posted By: STA Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/23/09
Mike,
I have been thinken about the 7STW a lot....grins. So far here is what I been thinken. Rem 700 action spiral flute bolt, Skeletonize bolt handle, number 3 Hart 1:10 twist 25inch, brown McMillan Edge, and all the metal cerakoted black. The glass VX3 3.5-10x40mm black matte with the new low turrets and Talley L/W's......
Originally Posted by STA
Mike,
I have been thinken about the 7STW a lot....grins. So far here is what I been thinken. Rem 700 action spiral flute bolt, Skeletonize bolt handle, number 3 Hart 1:10 twist 25inch, brown McMillan Edge, and all the metal cerakoted black. The glass VX3 3.5-10x40mm black matte with the new low turrets and Talley L/W's......

Think I'm in love..Be tough to top that.Should be good and light too.Just wondering why 25 over 26?Also those brown edge stocks are SWEET.Would it be the same as your other one on your WBY Randy?
Mike I am thinken 25inch because most people would go 26inch its just me being a little different. laugh The Brown Edge would be the same as my 257Roy. I really like that stock. It just soots the heII out of me...
Nuttin wrong with different..Why not go 27.Then you'd set the trend.Shoot I'd have to rebarrel..grin
With the Edge stock and a #3 barrel at 25inch thinken it will be a little muzzel heavy already the 27inch would be nice for the fps but think this guy can get it done at 25inch..... smile
No doubt.You'll want a STW a tad tip heavy.Fast recoiling sob that round.
Should be a fun project.... :GRIN:
Posted By: AFP Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/24/09
Originally Posted by GoDucks1
I've got a 30-06 currently, so I want some variety. My 30-06 is a pre-64 (I think featherweight) hand-me-down, and I can't justify taking it out in the elements for every single hunt. Therefore, I'm looking for a stainless/synthetic, struggling on what caliber.

You need to get rid of that crappy pre 64. Bring it down to me and I'll gladly take it off your hands............... wink

I too have a FWT, a 1957 Vintage that will only be taken out in good weather. My SS Classic 30-06 Edge will get the foul weather duty for deer.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/24/09
Any Cartridge between 6.5 and 8mm will be redundant with the 06. I like the 270 WSM as it is almost a 270 Weatherby and almost a 270 Winchester. But if I were buying/building a rifle now I would think about a pair of rifles in a more classic chamber. These would be an all weather light weight and a classic wood stocked companion. Since you already have the O6 might think about a .270 Win. 280 Rem or 308 light weight or even another 06. Check the price and availability of ammo for these compared to the WSM's. Less than half the price and five times the options.

Maybe buy used and spend the rest on good glass and reloading tools.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/24/09
For a factory ammo shooter, I'd would go 270 WSM over the 7, as I've yet to see much 7 WSM ammo on any shelf anywhere. However, I personally would avoid both if I were not a handloader.

If I already owned a great round like the 30-06, I'd simply pick up a matching rifle in stainless/syn (either Win 70 or Ruger). That would solve a lot of problems right there.

If I were not wanting another -06, I would clearly go for the 7 Rem Mag when shooting factory ammo.
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/24/09
I think I'm now down to the 270 wsm and the 7mm rem. mag. I would say I'm leaning toward the wsm at the moment, but still contemplating. It seems I can do everything I want with the 270 wsm, with a lighter more compact gun and a little less recoil. Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks
Posted By: ACLakey Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/25/09
It seems for what you described you are on the right track. The largest critter you are going to hunt in Oregon are Rosies and either caliber you stated will be strong medicine for them. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I too am looking heavily at the .270 WSM. I am thinking a 7mm-08 will work just as well on our game so I am going that route for my son. Too many good choices out there.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/25/09
I think I'm now down to the 270 wsm and the 7mm rem. mag. I would say I'm leaning toward the wsm at the moment, but still contemplating. It seems I can do everything I want with the 270 wsm, with a lighter more compact gun and a little less recoil. Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks

I'd still take the 7 Rem over the 270 WSM.Easy pick.And I like all the 277 cal rounds.
Yikes, we have a new younger generation coming up..Don't you guys know thats not a good arguement. The proper arguement is the 30-06 vs. the 270, has been for years...

BTW the 270 WSM vs. the 7mm WSM, is about as valid and arguement but even less so! .07 difference in bore and 15 grs. in bullet weight on the heavy side, and in reality the veloicity is the same all things equel..

How can this possibly be conversational? smile
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/25/09
Is there a difference in performance between 7s with 24" and 26" barrels?
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/26/09
Is there a difference in performance between 7s with 24" and 26" barrels?

Maybe 20-35ish feet more per inch of barrel is a good average.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/26/09
Can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned from 7-08 up. You could have some one hand any of the mentioned rifle/cartridge combos to you blind folded and pick whatever felt right and it wouldn't be a bad choice.

If buying used, especially if you don't intend to hand load, now is an excellent time to buy a 7RM. Just like in the past everyone sold their 270 or O6 for a Magnum, now a lot of long magnums are getting traded for short magnums to the benefit of savvy buyers.

Otherwise its which rifle fits and appeals most. For some reason probably based on amount of familiarity rather than fact the 7RM just feels like more gun than the WSM does. I will probably never shoot as much game with the WSM as I have the 7RM so my bias might remain in tact for a long time. Never let fact and logic interfere with a good biased opinion. It's more fun that way.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/27/09
All of the WSM's seem completely adequate to me, but the higher BC's of the 7mm seem to be a bit of an edge over both the 270 and 300.
Posted By: FVA Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/27/09
The wildcat 281 WSM will kick both their arses. Can't believe it isn't available from the factory yet.
Originally Posted by FVA
The wildcat 281

They could call it the "270 and a half".
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/27/09
Starting to lean 7mm mag. Not finding a ton of them in 26" though. Plenty of options at 24"
I have had a couple of long rifle barrels and now prefer 24". But to each his own, the Win M70 classics came in 26" if my memory is holding up.

If velocity is the reason for looking at 26" barrels, I could recommend looking at Wby. Mark V with 26" barrel in a 270 Wby. or 7mm Wby. mag., then you would have something that is really fast.
Posted By: GoDucks1 Re: 270 wsm vs. 7mm wsm - 04/27/09
Need something cheaper, unless I found one used. There are some economical options out there for something new in 24" though (savage, vanguard, tikka, etc..)
One of the most accurate rifles I ever bought (after rebedding)was a used M700 stainless SPS 7 Rem mag 24" barrel.

If looking for used ones, I think the M70 classic was only 26" in 7 Rem mag., not the WSM's.

If you like Savages, they are generally accurate with several brands of ammo.
© 24hourcampfire