Home
Posted By: TheBigJonson primer making machine - 08/22/09
Not long ago there was a CCI press release stating that the company has just put into production two new primer machines. Does anyone know what that machine might be? Who makes them (suspect Chinese)? How they function? Thanks for any help...
Posted By: Huntz Re: primer making machine - 08/22/09
What do they do??????
Posted By: TheBigJonson Re: primer making machine - 08/22/09
a primer making machine manufactures primers...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: primer making machine - 08/22/09
Don't know who makes them, but they clearly are a custom-made proposition as the market for primer making machines is about zero.

If what I read in Ammunition Making by Frost is still true, the machines work on large plates with precisely located holes (like steel pegboard) to punch out hundreds of primer cups at once. Primer composition is hand spread into matching plates and the resulting pellets are then pressed into the cups. Subsequent steps are foil application, lacquering and anvil placement. It's mostly the handwork of making the pellets that sets the production cycle.
Posted By: Huntz Re: primer making machine - 08/23/09
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson

Is this for the private reloader????
Posted By: TheBigJonson Re: primer making machine - 08/23/09
Not long ago there was a CCI press release stating that the company has just put into production two new primer machines. Does anyone know what that machine might be? Who makes them (suspect Chinese)? How they function? Thanks for any help...
Originally Posted by Huntz

Is this for the private reloader????

no
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: primer making machine - 08/23/09
I see the confusion now. No, they are not offering a machine for the hobby reloader to make his own primers.

The CCI news release says that they bought two machines to add to their production line and those machines are now in operation.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Don't know who makes them, but they clearly are a custom-made proposition as the market for primer making machines is about zero.

If what I read in Ammunition Making by Frost is still true, the machines work on large plates with precisely located holes (like steel pegboard) to punch out hundreds of primer cups at once. Primer composition is hand spread into matching plates and the resulting pellets are then pressed into the cups. Subsequent steps are foil application, lacquering and anvil placement. It's mostly the handwork of making the pellets that sets the production cycle.

Frost was heavily influenced by plate technology which was and is quite labor intensive...that's true. 20 years later labor is cost preventative and the safety factor is of much greater concern. I believe there is a much greater demand for a primer machine than is thought...there are lots of third-world militaries that would benefit from a government plant using such a machine...I just thought someone here might know where they come from. I guess China...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: primer making machine - 08/23/09
Not surprised that primer making has advanced.

Could we call it plate tech-tonics?
or Chinese Fortune Crookies...
© 24hourcampfire