Home
Posted By: 1234 dogzapper - 12/28/09
i heard steve timm [dogzapper] was no longer posting here ? is that right, what happened ?

Ed
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
I hope that is not true. I enjoyed his observations and writings. Anybody know?
Posted By: SU35 Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
I can't answer for Steve but I suspect he left because of some here who bashed his Church.

Yeah, he's missed big time.
Posted By: Pugs Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Originally Posted by SU35
I can't answer for Steve but I suspect he left because of some here who bashed his Church.

Yeah, he's missed big time.

Indeed, one of the good one's and people felt the need to roll in on his beliefs. A shame and I hope he comes back some time.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
He had a post over on predator masters that he was no longer going to post here because of who ever was bashing his church.....but he still lurks here so you might send him a pm if need something he has a wealth of knowledge on rifles.
Dink
Posted By: MagMarc Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Steve is a good man and this site has lost one of it's most valuable members if he doesn't come back.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Hate to see anyone leave because of others oppinions.....however.

This is a shooting, hunting, guns forum. If everyone would keep their religious views where they belong (personal and not public) and stick to guns and shooting......no one would have any reason to trash them (except of course those who think .22 caliber rifles a great deer guns).

Keep religious veiws to your self.....believe what you want and let others do the same. Once YOU open the discussion, don't be surprised if someone disagrees.
Posted By: Teal Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
I agree but IIRC the transgression happened in the specific area for religious discussion and it wasn't a disagreement about faith but a bigoted attack on his faith.
Posted By: BMT Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Originally Posted by teal
I agree but IIRC the transgression happened in the specific area for religious discussion and it wasn't a disagreement about faith but a bigoted attack on his faith.

There are a few guys on this board who will zealously attack Catholicism given an opening.

Most guys here are great, BTW.

BMT
Posted By: SU35 Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09

Not necessarily or ultimately so, the final nail happened in the "Campfire" section.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Teal and BMT are spot on. A few real narrow minded, uneducated, ill mannered idiots kept piling on my good friend Steve and ran him away from the Campfire.

All of us are missing out on fellowship with one of the FINEST of men because of a handful of Neanderthals.
Posted By: Teal Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Originally Posted by SU35

Not necessarily or ultimately so, the final nail happened in the "Campfire" section.

I only know what Steve told me, I missed most of it. Learned to stay away. I'll discuss what and why I believe what I believe but I am not going to get into a "mine v yours" argument.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Steve, if you are lurking I hope you won't let a couple of small brained individuals deter you from posting going forward. Don't forget the world is full of um'.
Posted By: dubePA Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
No idea what his faith is, not important to me. All this time I thought he worshipped at the altars of the GM diesel pickup and flat-shooting cartridges? ;O)

Come on back, DZ. We can whack the tar out of them what have no respect for their fellow man.
Posted By: ChipM Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
I miss his postings myself and thought I had read he stopped posting here. Hopefully he reads this and reconsiders posting his knowledge and experiences. It really is not right when a few bad apples spoil the bushel.
Posted By: prm Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
He is indeed a very helpful person. Don't like to see the good people leave because of the self-appointed internet heros here.
Posted By: petr Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
The few guys with alternative belief systems pile on Christians every chance they get. Catholics make big targets it would appear.

For a bunch of guys who claim they don't care about religion, they sure enjoy making a big deal about it.

It's not that I mind their belief system, it is that they insist on taking a piss on the belief system of everyone else.

I go to church and struggle the best I can. DZ is a gentleman. The difference between him and I is that if any man said the kind of things to me that have been said to him on this board I would stomp his ass over it.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Only thing that mattered to me was his faith in the 120gr BT ...Steve thanks for the knowledge and experience you brought here
Originally Posted by petr
The few guys with alternative belief systems pile on Christians every chance they get. Catholics make big targets it would appear.

For a bunch of guys who claim they don't care about religion, they sure enjoy making a big deal about it.

It's not that I mind their belief system, it is that they insist on taking a piss on the belief system of everyone else.

I go to church and struggle the best I can. DZ is a gentleman. The difference between him and I is that if any man said the kind of things to me that have been said to him on this board I would stomp his ass over it.

Steve is a class act, no doubt.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
I almost left after he and a few others bashed the Barnes X.......
Posted By: toad Re: dogzapper - 12/28/09
Originally Posted by Steelhead

some things should be sacred.

Laffin' . . . . .

You really are between flippant and glib.

BMT
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
If enough expertise leaves,the site dies.Steve,besides being an upfront Christian gentleman,had a great deal of knowledge to share.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I'm pretty dang certain a whole bunch of 223AI's were spawned by his articles. Lots of folks seem to think it's a 'Fire thing, but a big/early part of it began back when because of said work.
Posted By: Teal Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
He's also been a big guy for the 280AI, which has seemed to come on strong as of late.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I don't believe in bashing anyone's religion unless the religion is being used to justify killing innocent people, the mooslim faith seems to have a bit of proclivity in this direction.
Posted By: DJTex Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I hope Steve will return. I learned from him and enjoyed his input on the 'Fire.

DJ
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Seems as though he knew a thing or two about reticles also. <GRIN>

He was helpful to me on my 223 AI build last year. I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I had a long phone conversation with Steve maybe 2 weeks ago and he was happy and cheerful and full of his same old spirit. I don't recall that we talked about the Campfire much at all, but I would guess he has found other ways to fill up his spare time. Steve isn't one to worry much about water under the bridge, and I suspect that is how he regards the Campfire.

I must admit that sometimes I grow a little weary of some Internet BS, but nobody has attacked me personally all that much.
Posted By: Lonny Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
It's a cryin' shame if Steve isn't around anymore. He has a pile of experience and knowledge to share and is a genuine, top shelf guy. It's our loss, if a few jackoff's made him decide it wasn't worth his time here anymore.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Ya know, the one thing about the internet that irks me is the small minds that cost us the vast knowledge that individuals like Steve bring to this forum, especially when those same small mind's cranial capacity is such that they have little, if nothing, to add to a conversation.
Posted By: 340boy Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Teal and BMT are spot on. A few real narrow minded, uneducated, ill mannered idiots kept piling on my good friend Steve and ran him away from the Campfire.

All of us are missing out on fellowship with one of the FINEST of men because of a handful of Neanderthals.

+1

Steve is a good man, and I miss reading his posts here.
Posted By: FVA Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09

I think very highly of Steve and he has helped me on more than one occasion.
The truth is his lack of participation has as much to do with being hyper sensitive to his views being taken to task, and not just Catholicism, as being bashed by bullies.
Regardless the Campfire is poorer for his leaving.
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
[quote=MagMarc]Steve is a good man and this site has lost one of it's most valuable members if he doesn't come back. [/quote

+1
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by TexasRick
If everyone would keep their religious views where they belong (personal and not public)......don't be surprised if someone disagrees.

Anywhere is the proper forum for the good news of The Gospel. Jesus secured new life for every man. Doesn't matter what your opinion is.

Prayers sent.
I was ganged up on by several CF members due to my choosing a TC Encore to hunt with. Seems that since I didn't pay $20K for a Martini-Hagn there was no way I should be able to hunt with a clear conscience.

I nearly swore off of this site based upon that but I find way too many good guys here that far outweigh idiots such as those.

I miss Dogzapper too. In fact, I clicked on this post to see if I could find his 120 gr 280 load everyone raved about a while back.
I can understand getting bashed for the Encore....

Well, you know, you win some you lose some. grin
Posted By: MagMarc Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Do you hunt on TV with that Encore? wink
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Do you hunt on TV with that Encore? wink

"I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there."

There are a bunch of them for sure. I remember how Bill Jordan of Realtree had hunted for years and years with his Rem 700 BDL in 280 Remington. Then I saw how T/C shoved their package under his door. Still hunting with a 280 though, him & David Blanton both. I was proud.
We are just joshing you, besides my gay cousin Dayton hunts with an Encore.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
laugh
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09

You're cracking me up here.....or killing me.....not yet sure which.......

Casey
Hopefully the former, jail time would cut into hunting season, though I'd have no shortage of lawyers helping me in that case.......
What's wrong with an Encore, aside from the weirdest stock design in the history of sporting rifles? (Well, maybe some French rifles have been weirder....)
Posted By: UncleJesse Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I was ganged up on by several CF members due to my choosing a TC Encore to hunt with. Seems that since I didn't pay $20K for a Martini-Hagn there was no way I should be able to hunt with a clear conscience.

I live in the same town as this dynamic gunsmithing duo and yet my savage 110 still kills critters dead and I hold my head high as I walk through the woods.
Of course, you ain't hunting with an Encore.......
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What's wrong with an Encore, aside from the weirdest stock design in the history of sporting rifles? (Well, maybe some French rifles have been weirder....)

Comparing any US firearm product with anything french could bring a libel suit.
Posted By: Rman Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Comparing any US firearm product with anything french could bring a libel suit.

Libel or Slander? You better ask Lee!

R.
I have to bite my Internet tongue, having sworn not to post on what's-his-name again....

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
Posted By: ingwe Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09

Glad nobody is hatin on the Icon.... whistle

Ingwe
The Campfire is always a source of good cheer. You guys are funny.
I like best when he are joking and kicking one another in the nuts, just like pards would do, along with the occasional passage of information.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I like best when he are joking and kicking one another in the nuts, just like pards would do, along with the occasional passage of information.

Scott:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfnBIUUBd1s

Like that?

Dwayne
Posted By: cole_k Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I'm missing dogzapper to. He is a class act.

Steelhead, what is not to like about an accurate rife? Even if it is an Encore.
My .223 barrel shoots 1/4� groups with most 45-65 gr bullets. And my .308 barrel shoots 1/2� groups with most 150-165 gr bullets. I've also had Savages shoot as well OOTB and my Encore barrels OOTB.
Steelhead, my friend, beauty is as beauty does and an accurate rife is a thing of beauty even if it look like an Encore.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dubePA Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Pretty profound. Next thing ya know, someone will use that in a quote for a sig line.
Lots of ugly women are great cooks, that's why I'm glad for restaurants.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Strange, I have a neighbor named Dayton who just might hunt with an Encore. He also is a greater baker and makes a heck of a pie...
Like that
Posted By: remfak Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
LMAO!

Scott, would love to buy you a beer sometime. You are one funny dude!
That's my plan when I retire in 4 years, drive the country and drink free beers!
You should be in great friggin shape then.
Not after all that beer.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
He should be good for at least one go-round. grin
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
If God wanted us to hunt with Encores, he wouldn't have invented the Sharps. (or the Ruger 1) smile
I think after all that beer Scott will look like the guy in the pic he posted above....
Posted By: ScottM Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Scott probably doesn't realize it but he created a classic for me with his "[bleep] vs. screw" comment on another thread. Ended up coughing myself to death after trying to gut my plug-o-Redman. Caught me unawares. I don't know where you come up with that schit on the fly, but there's a free beer in Idaho if you ever head out this way.

Scott
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09

Scott,

I do not pick on your fishing rods.

Doc
Posted By: ingwe Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

[Linked Image]

OMG! Please don't tell me I'm becoming the Iconic Poster Child for the Icon shocked

I think thats best left up to young Mr. Psoriasis in the picture... wink

grin
Ingwe
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Scott,

I do not pick on your fishing rods.

Doc

Have you seen his UGLY Stick? <G>
Posted By: PPosey Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
To bad DZ left the fire, I stay out of the campfire section for the same reasons though,,, got tired of hearing the same old BS by the same old self-important morons over and over,,,, thanks to DZ for pointing out the 120 7mm BT though,, have killed several deer and a couple hogs with it since.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I have the highest regard for Steve. He lives his religion. He does not push it at anyone, but lives in such a way as to do it great credit. We have never met face-to-face, but I consider him a friend and would be greatly honored if I am considered his.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I have the highest regard for Steve. He lives his religion. He does not push it at anyone, but lives in such a way as to do it great credit. We have never met face-to-face, but I consider him a friend and would be greatly honored if I am considered his.

The guy has a gift for writing and expressing his feelings. On top of that is a man of principle,ethics and everything else that is good in this world.

I will miss his postings big time.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: dogzapper - 12/29/09
I think Steve and Karen are spending more time working at church than before, and he has less time for this.

He is a strong believer in the Church and the Word, and he's living his faith.

Certainly, that is a better use of his time than hanging out here with us.
Posted By: yeselk Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I will miss Steve's wisdom and tales of past exploits. I hope he writes a book. I would love to read it.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I think Steve and Karen are spending more time working at church than before, and he has less time for this.

He is a strong believer in the Church and the Word, and he's living his faith

Yes, he is and I'm in complete agreement.
Posted By: Brad Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I like Steve... a lot. I also respect his faith. I'm a man of faith myself. However, I hope he didn't leave because someone was belittling his faith... a faith that can't stand scrutiny, challenge, or ridicule is no faith at all.
Posted By: 1flier Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by David_Walter

He is a strong believer in the Church and the Word, and he's living his faith

Yes, he is and I'm in complete agreement.

He is my friend and I am his. I got the better end of that deal. You are both spot on. If we see him on here again it will be a gift. I wouldn't hold my breath though. He is much happier doing God's work than hanging with us.

1flier
Posted By: castandblast Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I sure miss DZ's posts....
Posted By: shootinurse Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I miss him, too. Still think he should do a book or six. Donate the proceeds to his church and school, everybody wins. The church, the kids, us, and him for doing good things for a lot of people.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
[Linked Image]

Steve came out to Montana and hunted antelope with me a few years back....here's a buck we put a nice sneak on and he killed at about 230 yards with his .208AI. His wife Karen also shot a real nice buck....we go back a ways....whats up buddy?

Old friend, Pat
Posted By: shootinurse Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
Nice pic.
Posted By: HawkI Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
Am thinking he has found other things to do than be ridiculed for something he truly believes in; Steve seems a pretty sincere fellow and always typed what he meant.

I dunno for certain, but I bet he'd answer a PM from someone who is as sincere as he is (and have no doubt he'd spot a genuine question).
Posted By: ingwe Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
Thats the way he always struck me....he does what he truly believes in...and it is for the betterment of his fellow man.
How can anyone ridicule that?
I miss his sincerity, and his obvious kindness.

Would love to see him back...

Ingwe
Posted By: HawkI Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I dunno who pizzed him off, but I'm betting Steve was typing something salty before he departed....

Prolly didn't want his ire to get the better of him.

His knowledge is sorely missed.

Posted By: FVA Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09

I've never seen Steve ridiculed for anything. I pretty sure he left because his feelers were hurt but he should of toughened up and shrugged it off. Stomping on Dogzapper was sure to bring the wrath of many and rightfully so.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
I was part of many of those heated discussions a few years ago. I started some of the threads in the "Christ at the Campfire" part of this forum.

Dogzapper and I share many of the same beliefs, he being Roman Catholic and I being an Orthodox Christian. I was trying to engage people from other churches in polite discussion and often the conversation got bitter (especially concerning the Virgin Mary). Many of these sometimes disgusting comments would have resulted in a fist fight if they were made about one's own mother. Imagine them being made about the Mother of God. Dogzapper took these disrespectfull comments by some to heart. I ignored them and continued to converse with those that showed a modicum of respect.

Dogzapper was right for defending his and many of my beliefs from outright bigotry. When I think about those old threads, I often feel guilty that I did not join him in his and the Virgin Mary's defence.

I hope Dogzapper can forgive me...and join us again on the Campfire.

Dan
Posted By: CLB Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09
All the arguments that stem from political and religious discussions are ridiculous. With all the varying views on politics and varying religious beliefs, there has never been an effective way to win a debate.

Sorry to see him go over this kind of stuff. I really enjoyed his work and have had several discussions with him regarding cartridges.

A real shame we don't have his experience around here anymore.

CLB
Posted By: SKane Re: dogzapper - 12/30/09

That pretty much sums it up for me too. grin

I'll respect DZ whether he comes back or not.
He's a true gentleman and this place was far richer with him.
© 24hourcampfire