Home
Posted By: Idaho_Elk_Huntr 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
If you had a choice between the 2 which one would you build. Lets here the good and bad of both calibers. It will be a 28 inch tube and used for close to long range shooting of elk and mule deer.
Tween the two I'd go with a 280AI and cut it to 23".

Dober
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
If your gonna pack a 28 inch tube might as well go with the STW. Get the most from it.Now if it was a 24 inch or shorter then the 280 AI makes more sense to me.

The STW just flat out works on big game at most sane ranges.
Posted By: John55 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
I've used to have a 280AI and a friend still has his STW which I've done some range/field time with. No contest for me, STW wins regardless of barrel length. No fireforming for the STW makes it better for me right off, but past that there is just nothing the AI can do the STW can't run past w/o breaking a sweat...especially if you are using the heavier bullets and loading to equal pressures. Neither one will win any popularity contests these days, but if I wanted a fast 7mm the STW is it.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
Even an "unimproved" 280 is a nice round; but a buddy of mine had a 7mm STW built way back when it was still a wildcat. It has always impressed me greatly and I can see why it became a factory round. I'm surprised it hasn't been more successful but that's the way it goes sometimes. I have seen that STW in action on the high plains of Wyoming and it is one fast, flat shooting, hard hitting deal. If I ever decide to get a fast 7mm that's gonna be one of the first ones under consideration.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
Like 7 STW said (pretty predictable really) if you're carrying a 28" tube you should go with the STW.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
Forgot to add, you can always load down the STW to 280 levels but you sure can't go the other way.
Posted By: STA Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
I really like the 280Rem! With that said long range big game hunting with a 28inch tube its all 7mm STW....
Posted By: djs Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
280 AI; the 7mm STW just uses too much powder for what you get.
Posted By: tj3006 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/01/10
I used to have a 7mm STW, And I had a 280 ack.
have nothing bad to say about the STW round. Really one of the best if you are good enough to take advantage of it.
I am a little curious why you pased right by the 7mm remington mag. For my money it,s the best of the bunch.
Both mine were model 70 classics. I hated the 280 ack. My smith had a barrel and dies and it was all set up for the .280 ack. and threaded for the model 70 classic.
He screwd it in for me and I loaded up some loads stair stepped up to the maximum in the nosler manual.
I know this makes no sence at all, but shooting a 160 gr accubond near a max load in the 280 ack was the worst recoil I ever felt ever felt in any rifle.
I shoot max loads in a 338 win and a 4570 and have shot a .375 H&H abit so I know what recoil is. But I hated that thing. I sold it to a smith and bought somthing else.
Right now I am thinking of one of those new synthetic stock thompson center rifles in 7mm Mag. Get about 95% of the Stw with out burning up so much powder. And there was a review of that rifle in a magazine latly and that one was a spectacular shooter.
UGLY but I think I can live with that. And its cheap too !
...tj3006

I already have 2 7mm Rem mags
Posted By: orion03 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Own a Model 70 Super Grade in 7STW but have never shot it. That being said I would think the STW would be all over the AI anyway you look at it.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Then you're all set.

Unless of course you just want to play with another rifle,which is fine.

Posted By: JohnMoses Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
I've been told that 7STW's are pretty hard on throats by a few that own them.

If that is the case, I would get the 280 AI. Plus, I don't care for anything with a bbl. longer than 24" and prefer 22".

I'm also concerned with bullet performance at hyper-velocity on close shots. It may or may not be a problem, but not knowing is enough to make me wary.

just my 2 cents.

JM
Posted By: 340boy Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Just for the sake of argument, I wonder what a 7mm Rem Mag would do with a 26" barrel?
You could get higher velocities yet still have readily available brass.
I have most of the 7mm's in bolt guns. I dont have a STW but have the Ultra. What Im doing now in playing with my single shot Encore and adding a few barrels to my collection. I will probably opt for the AI chambering this time. I figure the STW in the Encore will probably keep you teeth worked loose.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
With the 28" barrel, the STW.

It is one flat shooting cartridge and extremely accurate. Mine with a Lilja barrel on a 700 action is one of the most accurate rifles I own.
Posted By: 340boy Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Idaho,
I forgot you were going off of an Encore.
I have never shot one, but I bet it would kick hard in a 7mm STW!
eek
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
If you had a choice between the 2 which one would you build. Lets here the good and bad of both calibers. It will be a 28 inch tube and used for close to long range shooting of elk and mule deer.

What is your intended purpose for the rifle?
Posted By: 7 STW Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've been told that 7STW's are pretty hard on throats by a few that own them.

If that is the case, I would get the 280 AI. Plus, I don't care for anything with a bbl. longer than 24" and prefer 22".

I'm also concerned with bullet performance at hyper-velocity on close shots. It may or may not be a problem, but not knowing is enough to make me wary.

just my 2 cents.

JM

John's 100 per cent correct.Pretty easy to torch a throat.With todays fine bullets up close doesn't seem to matter.I'm shooting the 62 year old Partition from 50 feet to 500yds it just plain works.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10

I think they're both one and the same 28 caliber...

Go STW and a 28" 1/8.5 twist and shoot 180 Berger VLD's at 3,000 for you stated intended purpose.

Posted By: nsaqam Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Yep the caliber/cartridge nomenclature issue has bothered me for a long time.

I'd recommend the Barnes TTSX rather than the Berger though.
Posted By: CLB Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10

IMO, given you have 2 7mm mags already, it kinda negates the 280AI.

Though I am intrigued by the 28" STW. I think that would be an absolute lazer...

But, you have the longer ranges already covered. Why not build a custom in 7x57 or 7mm-08 if you are looking to stay in .284.

CLB

Posted By: SU35 Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Yep the caliber/cartridge nomenclature issue has bothered me for a long time.

It drives me nuts.

People don't know the difference between a caliber and cartridge.

Posted By: StrayDog Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
If it is going to kick as much as a 300 Win Mag I would just as soon it be a 300.

I would go with the 280 AI and my hunch is the odds are in favor of it being the most accurate of the two.
I have a 28 inch 300 win mag barrel for it. I can handle the recoil from it. I was thinking that the STW would be worse but I dont know as I have never shot one.
I know I dont need either caliber. I have all the 7's except the AI, the Dakota and the STW. Its more of I have the extra cash and want another barrel. I was also thinking the STW may be a bit much for the Encore but MGM does chamber it.
I believe AI in a 28 would come really close exceed the 7mm Rem Mag in a 24in
Posted By: StrayDog Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
Now that Nosler is selling the new 280 AI brass, it makes it more fun skipping the fire forming step.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Now that Nosler is selling the new 280 AI brass, it makes it more fun skipping the fire forming step.

I dont want to even think about fire forming.
Posted By: mathman Re: 280AI versus 7mm STW - 03/02/10
I dont want to even think about fire forming.

Have you examined how new belted mag brass typically fits the chamber?
Posted By: keith Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/02/10
I had one Custom 280 AI, I have had perhaps a dozen 7 Mags, and currintly have two custom 7 STW's.

I shoot the 140g at 3650 with amazing accuracy and the 160's at 3300, with the 120g Tripple shocks at 3850 shooting very tiny holes.

I have the Pac Nor three groove super match barrels, 26" long, #5 taper, fluted with vias brakes.

Brother has two of the exact same 7 STW's, friend has 4, all with Pac Nor barrels with the barrel work done by Pac Nor, with zero freebore.

It took us all less than 30 rounds to work up a load that was shooting the the .325 range or smaller(three shot groups).

A custom 7 Mag done the same way we did the 7 STW's by Pac Nor is nothing to sneeze at.

Good luck!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/03/10
With equal pressure the 280AI, 7RM, and STW are closer than you think. Point blank range difference between all three will be somewhere around 50-75 yards difference at most. The 280 seems to do the the most with more efficiency and in a 28" barrel would get about all the range possible from a 7mm. Same for the 7WSM and SAUM.

In fact to get any more range usable or not the 200-210 VLD 30 caliber bullets or 300 gr 338 caliber bullets would be needed.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/03/10
Don't think that 280 Ackley can hang with the STW at extented range.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/03/10
I know where there is a New Haven M70 in 7STW; I was thinking of getting a .270 WSM this year, but that big case keeps calling me...
Answer it.You won't go wrong..
What is the recoil of the STW comparable to? Do you think its to much for the Encore?
No you should be ok.Recoil is very close to shooting a 300 Winchester Magnum.A sharp fast kick.
Childs play then.. Is brass hard to find?
As it sits Remington and Nosler produce brass.Myself I stocked up on W/W Brass before it became discontinued.Remington has proper headstamp 7 STW brass still.Or one pass through the die with Remington 8mm Rem Magnum brass will get ya there too.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/03/10
7stw i haven't had problem finding ammo or brass yet
It'll come..
I know of 3 factory loads left.When I first started to shoot the STW a fella could run the gammut of Factory loads.Failsafes Power Points TBBC ect.

My advice to STW shooters is if you can find Winchester brass buy it all up.
Posted By: Tip926 Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
280AI for me. The STW will rattle your teeth.
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
Originally Posted by 7 STW
It'll come..

Mike, why Winchester over R-P? I assume we won't have trouble finding 8mm brass for a long time, which we can make work.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
Neither. 7mm Remmag. Popular, ammo available everywhere, will out do the AI and BDLs for peanuts are everywhere and you'll never lose a dime when selling time comes.

Not an Elk living that it wont kill with properly constructed bullets at sane ranges.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159655637
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
Originally Posted by HuntKY
It'll come..

Mike, why Winchester over R-P? I assume we won't have trouble finding 8mm brass for a long time, which we can make work.

I was running into split necks to often with minimal reloads on the cases.That was with Remington headstamp 7 STW.As for 8 mag I've only resized a few.Perfer proper headstamp cases myself.But they seemed better.

In that cartridge I've found the W/W cases more consistant longer lasting tighter primer pockets ect.And most important not one split neck.
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
Originally Posted by HuntKY
It'll come..

I was running into split necks to often with minimal reloads on the cases.That was with Remington headstamp 7 STW.As for 8 mag I've only resized a few.Perfer proper headstamp cases myself.But they seemed better.

In that cartridge I've found the W/W cases more consistant longer lasting tighter primer pockets ect.And most important not one split neck.

Mike--good info, thanks. I've found I can load my R-P brass 3x, no mas. At 3x, some of the cases crack above belt.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Idaho elk hunter....... - 03/04/10
Interesting.

I had always thought maybe I got a batch of hard brass.But seeing yours are splitting in the webbing above the belt maybe we both recieved some.Tough call.
© 24hourcampfire