Home
Greetings! I ask the assembled experts this question: Has anyone ever tried eating wolf meat? I ask this in all seriousness. In my library I have a magazine, Wolfe's Hunting Horizons, which was an annual special publication they put out, similar to the present "Successful Hunter" In the 1992 issue was an article about preparing cougar meat. In the article the cougar backstrap was cut into medallions, marinated in milk, then floured and fried. The author said it was quite good! It got me wondering about other predator's meat, of course I know bear meat can be great.

I am posting this here, hoping Mule Deer will ask Mrs. Mule Deer what she knows about wolf meat. Thanks in advance...
Can't bring myself to eat an animal that I despise, snakes, yotes, wolves, ect.... they lie where they die.

I had the experience of skinning one once in Canada, the smell would defer eating I think.

I have eaten leopard, and it is excellent.

jim
I damn near vomited skinning a salmon eating wolf, I'd sooner lick my ass.
Was hamered up at a Fish and Wildlife dinner and tried some cougar.
Bluedoe,

I asked Eileen about wolf and she has no clue.

We have eaten mountain lion and it is mild-flavored, pale meat. From what we understand most cat meat is like that, even domestic cats and African lions, though we haven't tried either!
Rocky tells me that NOTHING eats coyote. Can't imagine that wolf is any better.
The one I shot smelled so bad there's no way I could have brought myself to try eating it.
However, I do know several people who have eaten dog(most of them didn't know it was dog at the time) and they thought it was okay.
As far as coyote's, I find if I leave them unskinned they don't get eaten,even by magpies, but if I throw out askinned carcass it gets eaten up quite readily.
I have tried it. It had an oily taste to it that wasn't very good. I wouldn't recommend it. Lynx on the other hand is trapline turkey- Hindquarters are especially good.

Sincerely,
Thomas
I don't know about wolf.

I have eaten dog and it was ok. I used to eat chili at this restaurant when I went thru this one town. Never knew the difference.

Found out they were shut down for putting dog into it.
It tastes simular to Beagle.
I haven't, but I imagine those with the taste for kegogi may appreciate it.
Nope, and wouldn't. I don't get queazy easily, but wolf does a good job of getting me going that way.
I'm pretty sure I ate a cat once at a Chinese restaurant in Newark. They claimed it was lamb, but I'm pretty sure I heard some meowing in the back. It did taste like cat piss smells. Kinda like Steelie, ass is better (but only if it is female, insert, ahem, your own joke).

I can't possibly imagine any predator tastes particularly good. I've had coon, possum and bear. I wouldn't go for seconds for any of it, regardless of how it was prepared. I know a few guys that's had crow. Most had taken a half a fifth (a tenth?) of Old Crow before they pronounced it as passible.
I prefer black bear, and even good brown bear, over the last moose I killed. Whew it's gnarly! (But then, he had a big old carrot-sized pus-sy wound in a hind leg.)
Seems like I remember you posting that pic. It was fairly disgusting.

I generally like caribou, except for one that was killed in the rut. It reeked. And, it tasted like an infected wound smells, now that you mention it.
I was lucky enough to take this wolf on an elk (Maral Stag) hunt in Mongolia in 1991. I didn't eat any of it, but the Mongolian men butchered it and scarfed it up in camp. They claimed it was good for treating lung diseases. Since they all smoked like chimneys, I figured they needed all the help they could get.

They blanched at the thought of eating elk meat, however, and claimed it was only good for wolf bait...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I was lucky enough to take this wolf on an elk (Maral Stag) hunt in Mongolia in 1991. I didn't eat any of it, but the Mongolian men butchered it and scarfed it up in camp. They claimed it was good for treating lung diseases. Since they all smoked like chimneys, I figured they needed all the help they could get.

They blanched at the thought of eating elk meat, however, and claimed it was only good for wolf bait...

[Linked Image]

LOL. Good answer.
The real problem has to do with illegal immigrants.
Depending on the area in which the wolf was shot, I would expect there might be a pretty good potential for trichinosis since this originates in rodents. The same would be true of coyotes. BTW, in this area, coyotes are one of the cougar's prey species. GD
Originally Posted by denton

Eagles, buzzards and crows will eat coyotes.
Originally Posted by PepeLp

Hell I have seen Yotes eating Yotes.
Originally Posted by PepeLp

So will coyotes and 'possums. I was very surprised when I happened on a bald eagle eating a coyote that I had shot a few days before.
All this talk about wolves with tapeworms, (cysts), have me a little worried about being near one.
I really have to be starving to bite into one.
Wolf, coyote, lynx, bobcat, wolverine, raven, and a few other wild critters. What I had was OK.
Coyotes will even eat themselves, if they get shot a little too far back with a bullet that opens them up....

Maybe so. Y'all have more experience with dead ki-oties than me. But my son shot a black one during turkey season that came to the call and I didn't want to skin the flea invested varmit. I put him on the side of a loggin road in a fresh clearcut so the buzzards could see him. He laid there till there was nothing but black hair and bone. NOTHING touched him. This was in South Carolina a few years back.
Song dog makes good jerky.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Coyotes will even eat themselves, if they get shot a little too far back with a bullet that opens them up....

I saw this myself in Wyoming once. I hit one in the hip and he rolled over and chewed it.
I saw a limber Mexican girl do a like thing some years ago in Juarez....
hmmm. yeah thats more interesting than coyotes.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You are my hero. . . wink
Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I read up on the tapeworm cysts, kinda spoiled my appetite for considering giving wolf meat a try, if the chance comes up.
I wouldn't eat if out of professional courtesy of one predator to another.
This thread has gone to the dogs...
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Philippines, Subic, girl eats banana from herself or drops pieces into your mouth. Good show.
I tasted a couple dogs...

wink
Originally Posted by greydog
Depending on the area in which the wolf was shot, I would expect there might be a pretty good potential for trichinosis since this originates in rodents. The same would be true of coyotes. BTW, in this area, coyotes are one of the cougar's prey species. GD

I don't know about wolves, but bear and pork are both pretty reliable sources for trichinosis. Hence the recommendation to cook the meat until all pink is gone.

I imagine any trichinosis in dog meat would be killed in the same manner.
Interestingly, here in Montana black bear meat has a pretty low rate of trichinosis. The state will test your bear meat if you send a golfball-sized chunk of meat to a laboratory (if I recall correctly at Montana State U.). In most hunting units the rate is 10% or less, and in some units 3%. Older bears, of course, have a higher rate.

If bears don't have trichinosis, the meat can be cooked rare like deer or elk.
I'm not real sure, but I suspect that the tamales I use to buy in Dulce, NM from an old Jicarilla Apache lady might have been coyote or dog. Didn't matter much because those are still the best and hottest tamales I that I have ever ate. Her burittos were great too, and she had the cutest 18 year old granddaughter you have ever laid eyes on.
Might google the cookbook "101 Ways To Wok Your Dog", might have a game section.................:-)
Yuck!!!!It tastes like sheet..

Jayco
Coyotes can't be that bad, An Edmonton Alberta restaurant was caught with ready to cook coyotes in the freezer a few years back

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2003/11/11/coyote_meat031111.html
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Was hamered up at a Fish and Wildlife dinner and tried some cougar.

How was she? grin
I think Lewis (or Clark?) preferred dog over salmon on his jaunt to the coast and back. Salmon was so rich after nearly starving in the Bitterroots that he couldn't eat it. Indians thought that was funny...
So, MD, that test of the bear meat assumes that the trichinosis cycts are evenly distributed through the meat?
Yes. Apparently that's what happens once they become infected (or infested, however you want to put it).
I ate dog & monkey when helping train ARNV forces. Monkey kind of tastes like chicken, dog was stringy & tough. Wolf would probably taste like an old eagle or maybe tripe. I passed on monkey brains since they were eaten raw. Pork brains & eggs are a real delicacy.
Testing of trich is best done using the tongue of the bear, apparently.

Here is a link to our British Columbia hunting site. One of our braver{dumber?] members shot a yote and tried out a loin...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50711
Riggins Idaho has (or used to) a Big Game feed every year where people from all over come and share there game from all over the world,sometimes..From Rattlesnake to whatever and sometimes it is good and others terrible.A taste of somethings is all a guy needs to forever not want to eat it again,and Wolf is one of those as well as Cougar,atleast for me.

It's pretty bad when Rocky Mountain Oysters are the best thing at a table.

Jayco
I think the number of bears shot around garbage dumps may contribute to the less-than-stellar rep as a table meat, and also the simple reality of meat spoilage from cavalier field dressing. My personal experience with bear hunting/eating is limited to one animal, so I'm no expert, but the bear I shot was a smallish (less than 200lb) sow that had been heavily feeding in an old apple and pear orchard. I got her fully skinned out and hanging within a few hours, so the meat cooled down quickly (this was in early October, and she had an incredible rind of fat that I mostly removed).

The next day I took her to a meat locker. The resulting steaks, chops, roasts and hams (two of them smoked) are among the best meat I've ever eaten--dense and grainy and a deep red in color, with wonderful flavor. I also had several women who were not at all accustomed to eating game (one of whom bordered on an anti-hunter) tell me they thought it was way up there too. Nobody who tried it actually disliked it. So in my experience, a well-fed animal, properly dressed, can go a long way toward table quality.
Although I find hound-hunting for bear to be very interesting, I wonder if the adrenaline/fear factor from the chase might affect the meat--anyone have an opinion or experience with this?
Best,
Malcolm
Originally Posted by logcutter
Riggins Idaho has (or used to) a Big Game feed every year where people from all over come and share there game from all over the world,sometimes..From Rattlesnake to whatever and sometimes it is good and others terrible.A taste of somethings is all a guy needs to forever not want to eat it again,and Wolf is one of those as well as Cougar,atleast for me.

It's pretty bad when Rocky Mountain Oysters are the best thing at a table.

Jayco

The trick with Rocky Mountain Oysters is the right sauce for dipping.
In the late 70's we ate a lot of bear. Several each year. I do not think there was any Crisco brought into the house for about four years as Mom was using rendered bear lard for all of her cooking, including the baking of all the bread consumed by six children.

Each and every one of these bears was killed out of a tree over dogs. But none of them had really exerted himself before climbing the tree. With one exception, every bear had climbed a pine tree within two hundred yards of where the dogs had kicked him out of bed.

Our favorite way to prepare bear meat was as pot roast, including the addition of lots of apples cored and quartered.
© 24hourcampfire