Home
Thinking about getting a Lightweight 30-06 bolt rifle.
I have a Remington 700 Adl with camo plastic stock and 24 inch barrel and an Interarms Mark X Mauser with Mannlicher stock but just thinking bout something a pound or more lighter. No big deal and I am sure that carrying that extra pound or two for the Mile or so I walk(at the most)on any given day deer hunting wont hurt me at all !(Flatlands of central Arkansas )But I am just an old(50) rifle nut who enjoys talking about and shooting rifles.Always in search of the ultimate ,end all ,be all deer rifle ! LOL
BUT if a man just had to have a lighter weight 30-06 what would you buy or what would you do to get it ?
Thanks for the input.... Craig
Some day I am going to have a nula.

http://www.newultralight.com/
Winchester Featherweight with 2-7 Leupy.

JW
NULA, Rifles Inc, Match Grade Arms, Kimber Montana.
First off, why not get a 308? SHoots 150 to 165 grainers right with or better than a 30-06. The short action will save some weight even w/ all other factors being equal.
I've a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight and a Colt Light Rifle. The Winchester shoots well, the Colt is lousy. If I were buying one today, I'd go with a Kimber Montana.
Can only relate my own experience with Remington 700 FS (fiberglass stock) rifles. This is a standard M700 with 22� sporter contour barrel in a Brown Precision stock. The rifle with a Leupold 4X scope and Talley lightweight mounts comes to 6 lbs 15 oz unloaded. Same standard M700 barreled action in a McMillan Edge would probably be within an ounce of that weight. If you wanted to get fancy and put a mountain rifle contour barrel on it that would take off another few ounces. Of course, those are both $450 to $500 options to add the stock.

But used FS models show up occasionally on gunbroker for about the price of an Edge stock by itself.

Another relatively inexpensive option if you are not wedded to the .30-06 is to get one of the Gander Mountain or Cabelas special runs in .308. These mate a mountain rifle barreled action to an original Ti stock from Bell & Carlson. The GM is a stainless model while the Cabelas is matte blued. I have a Cabelas model and with a Leupold 4X scope in Talley�s (hmm, sensing a pattern here wink ) it weighs 6 lbs 8 ounces unloaded. A bit harder to find but mine was right around $500 brand new.
Another turn key solution is to just get a Tikka T3 Lite, then you could stay with the .30-06. Those weigh something like 6 lbs 3 oz. With 11 ounces of scope and mount you are still looking at under 7 pounds all up.
I would look for a stainless 700, most likely a BDL SS or SPS SS, re-crown at 22", put it in an edge-fill McMillan handle of my choice, and go hunting. That should make a scoped weight of 7.25lbs or so and be as light as I'd want to go in a 30-06. Balance should be there also, due to the sporter-weight barrel. You could also spend a bit more and just re-barrel/re-stock the ADL you already have. Balance and feel are more important to me than overall weight. (within reason)
I just bought a TI take off and a used 30-06 22" adl to do this very thing. Havent put it together yet.

I would think you could do the same thing by cutting down your current rifle to 22" and dropping it in a brown, edge, or ti stock?
The "Faux Ti" approach yields a lot for the money. I like mine just fine, but will likely go to an edge handle one of these days. My hands are on the smallish side and the Ti stock feels a bit chunky in the grip.
Just stick a Basner on that Mauser and you will have dropped more than a pound. I have a Husqvarna 30-06 in a Basner and it is pretty sweet. The barrels on those older Mauser sporters seem to be of a lighter contour than most barrels today (probably because people weren't so concerned with group shooting) and are more like mountain rifle barrels today. Put them in a truly lightweight stock and you have a rifle that seems to be considerably lighter and better balanced than most rifles you pick up today.
I went to the Mcmillan site. OUCH ! dont think I will be going that route !
How much weight does the Ti stock shave off compared to the plastic camo stock I have on the Remington rifle now ? Seems like I saw them offered some time ago on here for a reasonable price.
Can any weight be shaved off the stock I have now?
BTW I will be using either a M8 4x or Fx II 4x or 6x in either Talley lightweights or Weaver bases and some type of Weaver style lightweight rings. Also wanting to get just a simple lightweight carrying sling just a Lightweight, non adjustable simple strap.
Also i am sure the Tikka is a fine rifle but I just dont like Detachable Magazines. I lose enough crap as it is !
A 1st generation Ti style (2950 series) handle should weigh about 26oz. Many of the older "plastic" injection handles weighed 36+ ounces. The Ti has the mountain rifle barrel channel, which would have to be opened up a bit for a standard 700 sporter barrel. Not a big deal.
Ruger Ultra Light in .308 Win
I don't think Kimber offers a "montana" version of the long 84 yet. Last I checked their site only 84 long versions were blued with wood stock in 2 different grades. When they do, that would probably be my first choice if they did.

If Weatherby makes their lightweight in '06, that might be 2nd choice.

NULA is supposed to be good ... twice the price, it better be good.

For the time being, I have an 84M Montana in .308 and since mine is one of the ones that shoots ok (getting better, in fact) I won't probably need an '06.

Tom
Personally, I'd wait for the Kimber 84L Montana if I absolutely had to have a light weight 30-06. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with the 'lil sky 84M Montana in .308
i know its FURRIN", but consider a Sako Finnlight in 30-06, accurate and nice handing an arm you will ever have.
Go look at a stainless 30-06 Sako A-7. It will be as light, as durable, and as accurate in the field as most any high dollar rifle you can buy. It has an outstanding detachable magazine system that you can remove and use, or if you choose, in the 30-06, you can completely load the rifle magazine from the top while leaving the mag in place. Just leave the mag box in place and ignore if you so choose. To add icing to the cake, the ergonomics and handling characteristics are outstanding. The plastics used are hell for stout along the lines of a Glock or SigPro capable of taking a good amount of abuse. Probably the best deal in rifles for the dollar going today.

Best:)
Maybe I should have started a new thread, but my comment is about light rifles. Seems to be the big trend around here (northern Wisc). We have A LOT of guys sitting by big piles of corn all day waiting for a big buck. They get out of their vehicle, walk a ways into the brush and sit on their ass all day. So I guess my question is, why do you need a super light rifle for that? If you're still hunting, or making drives or in the mountains, especially with a little age on you, a nice light rifle is the ticket. But for the average 175=250 pound guy, an 8lb rifle should be no problem. I've got one 6.5x55, 94 Swede that I put together two years ago as my light rifle, (around 6lbs) and the rest are 8lbs or so. I actually like a little weight in a rifle. I guess that's my rant for today.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Winchester Featherweight with 2-7 Leupy.

JW

Yup.

I would not be unappy if the action were a M98 Mauser at similar weight/balance either.

Lightweight 30-06? Unless you are set on a bolt gun there are a couple of very high quality single shots out there like the Merkel Stalking rifle and the Blaser K95 that are light, relatively short, and very handy. And they are nice to look at while you are taking a break, sitting up against an old oak.
I have a Husqvarna marketed by Tradewinds in Tacoma WA as the Tradewinds Husky. Recoil was much reduced when my gunsmith cut off the stock to remove a lot of the pitch and installed a thin pad. It is accurate, light, simple and absolutely reliable.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Personally, I'd wait for the Kimber 84L Montana if I absolutely had to have a light weight 30-06. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content with the 'lil sky 84M Montana in .308

I had the pleasure of purchasing a Kimber 84L rifle in 30-06 from our local Rocky Mountain Elk Chapter Banquet this March.

I may never shoot it, as it is a first run RMEF rifle, and I have a Remington 700 in 280 Rem and Kimber Montana in 300 WSM that I like very much. However, with that being said, I love the feel and balance of the 84L. It is just a great rifle to handle and IMO, about the perfect weight.

I don't know when they will be available on store shelves, but you may want to hold off a bit.

donsm70
"BUT if a man just had to have a lighter weight 30-06 what would you buy or what would you do to get it ?"

I'm seventy now. When I was a mere youth of fifty two I got a Rem Mtn. Rifle in -06 and have never regreted it. Even with it's light weight it's accurate and the attractive stock design is so good it's pleasant to shoot hot 150 gr. loads. Deadly on deer, easy to carry.
For affordable, I'd go a Rem M700 in ADL config, buy a Bell/Carlson Ti stock (Stocky's for ~$200). Sell the original stock for $35-50, put Talleys lightweights on it and a Leupold 2-7 VX II. You'll be ~ 7.5 lbs and out ~ $800-850 if you buy the gun used. You could save a few extra bucks and buy everything except the Talley's used and save a bit more. I'd also bet you get close to 7.5 lbs with an M70 Classic as well but will cost you an extra $1-150 to acquire the M70 and another $200 for a McM Edge.

Or a Kimber LA does have some appeal. My Kimber Montana in 300 WSM weighed 6lb 15 oz with 3-9x40 Leupie. You'll be out ~ $1250-1300.

A lightweight 30-06 do have much appeal. If it was me, I wouldn't chase the last couple of ounces. Anything under 7.5 lbs gets expensive quick - getting to 7.5 isn't all that hard. If you're worried about 3-4 ounces, buy yourself a postal scale and weigh everything you "normally" carry with you. I guarantee you can trim more than 3-4 ounces once you assemble and weigh the pile of stuff you take.

Depending on your recoil tolerance, the 30-06 is rather mild mannered but when you get under 7lbs and shoot full power 180's, recoil is much more noticeable. I have an M70 in stock config but with Talleys and 3-9 Leupie on it. It weighs right at 8lbs. 180's at 2800 to 2850 are noticeable but certainly not objectionable. My 7lb 300 WSM was uncomfortable to me. My current 300 SAUM at 7.5 lbs isn't objectionable but you need to have good shooting form or it will bite you with full power 180's (2950 ft/sec). For me, I've settled on 7.5 to 8.0 as a good compromise between portability and shootability - bench and field.
A new or used Weatherby Mark V ultra light weight 30-06 5 3/4 lbs!!!!

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/ultralight

I have seen these under $800 used here in Alabama
AMRA
I have a original 700 ti in 308 and if I were going to go for a LW 30.06 I would wait to handle one of the new kimber Montanas,

If you haven't shot a light rifle before you might want to borrow one for a range session before you spring for one.

I can shoot my Ti about as good as anything from the bench or prone supported, but its no where close to a 7.5lb rifle offhand. Could I practice myself to the same level of skill, maybe, maybe not

Does this matter? depends on your ability to shoot a 6lb rifle from the field positions you use. Around home I shoot a good number of deer on the ground off hand and while carrying my Ti felt good it just wasn't as effective in my hands as a rifle weighing a pound or so more.

If I hunted in more open terrain where more(most) shots would have a rest than I would be tempted to take the Ti.

Just a thought.
Tikka T3 SS, Tikka T3 Lite, Sako 85 Finnlight, Sako 85 SS or a synthetic A7.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I don't think Kimber offers a "montana" version of the long 84 yet. Last I checked their site only 84 long versions were blued with wood stock in 2 different grades. When they do, that would probably be my first choice if they did.

If Weatherby makes their lightweight in '06, that might be 2nd choice.

NULA is supposed to be good ... twice the price, it better be good.

For the time being, I have an 84M Montana in .308 and since mine is one of the ones that shoots ok (getting better, in fact) I won't probably need an '06.

Tom

Kimber made the long action Montanas several years ago. I handled one in .270. They were getting bad press because they used the same size action for the 06 parrent cartridge as they did for the .375 H&H cartridge. Some felt that this made the rifle unnecessarly too long.

I do not know if Kimber is currently listing the Long Action Montanas.

GB
That was the Model 8400. It is the new Model 84 long action Montana that folks are waiting on now. You probably knew that....
bcraig,

The Ruger M77 MkII is a relatively lightweight rifle of high quality. It's about the lightest 30-06 I would want. I won't trade mine. A 6-pound 30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets slaps a shooter pretty hard. If you want a lightweight rifle, I suggest you get it in a lighter caliber, like 260, 7-08, or 6.5x55.

An excellent lightweight 30-06 is the Weatherby MkV Ultra-Light. Very good rifle that weighs 5-3/4 lbs bare, but the stock design mitigates recoil to a great degree.
I am not really looking to get kicked silly but really dont think it would be a huge issue either as once I sight it in and shoot it at various yardages to see where it actually hits I wont be shooting it much, maybe two or three times a year if I am lucky enough to get a shot at a deer.Plus I dont think it would be any worse than the 12 gauge turkey loads out of a pump 870 shotgun ! In addition by the time I add scope mounts and a 10 ounce scope(either Leupold 4x or 6 x,plus 4 or 5 rounds of ammo(bout an ounce a round) and a sling and swivels(5 to 8 ounces) ,I will have added between 1-1/2 and 2 pounds to the base weight of the rifle.Plus I have a fondness for the little stretch ammo carriers that fit on your buttstock to carry an extra 5 rounds or so of ammo.I like them because the rifle and ammo are all one package and I could just grab the rifle and have ammo to hunt with even if I was dumb enough to forget and leave ammo box at home.I always leave the ammo in the loops of the ammo carrier and then load the gun when I go hunting so that 5 ounces or so is in reality for me an integeral part of the rifle weight.
SO the reality of it (for me and the way I hunt anyway)even if I start with a Rifle that weighs 6 pounds by the time I add everything else to it I am talking about at least 8 pounds and probably a little more.
Originally Posted by bcraig

BUT if a man just had to have a lighter weight 30-06 what would you buy or what would you do to get it ?
Thanks for the input.... Craig

Craig,

If the question is light with rifles, then the answer is New Ultra Light Arms.

My M24 .30-'06 in particular...jim
Tell me about the rifle Jim.

+1 frown
Also, how does it compare to the Steyr Scout?
Will my 50+ years old Husqvarna Fwt with Denver 4X Redfield work?

[Linked Image]

Seven and a half pounds all up, with five in the magazine and leather sling. Still puts a magazine full (5) of 180 Partitions into less than three inches at 200 yd.

Ted

Nice rig there Ted!

Dober
I recently bought a Marlin XL7 with a walnut stock.The rifle sold for $364.00 new,they went up a little since https://www.wholesalehunter.com/searchResult.asp?keywords=marlin+xl7 .I am impressed at the quality for such a low price.The rifle weighs 6.5lbs,trigger is great right out of the box,22" barrel,shoots great groups and what also impressed me was the recoil pad gave me the feel of mild recoil with the 30-06.
I just bought a used Rem 700 FS in 30-06. Jim in Idaho is dead on. Completely factory except for trigger it goes a hair over 6 pounds. So far it has shot 165 bt, 180spbt, and 180sp into an inch with initial test loads. Going to play with the 180SP a bit more. Bought it used for less than $300 and I like the Brown Precision stock a lot.
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Will my 50+ years old Husqvarna Fwt with Denver 4X Redfield work?

[Linked Image]

Seven and a half pounds all up, with five in the magazine and leather sling. Still puts a magazine full (5) of 180 Partitions into less than three inches at 200 yd.

Ted

One of my favs when considering going old school...very nice rifle Ted.
Originally Posted by moosemuncher
I just bought a used Rem 700 FS in 30-06. Jim in Idaho is dead on. Completely factory except for trigger it goes a hair over 6 pounds. So far it has shot 165 bt, 180spbt, and 180sp into an inch with initial test loads. Going to play with the 180SP a bit more. Bought it used for less than $300 and I like the Brown Precision stock a lot.

Nice find 'Muncher. Does that have a 22" sporter contour tube?
Castandblast, It is 22" and muzzle diameter is .655 so thinking standard contour. If you can locate one of these, they are quite nice.

I copied JB's specifications when I ordered my NULA: .30-'06; 24" stainless steel barrel in No. 2 contour; and Melvin's leaf camo on his kevlar-graphite stock.
[Linked Image]
It goes 5.75 pounds from the factory, and I started hunting with a Leup. 1.5-6X scope, but I have a 2.5-8X now. It shoots small groups, and is especially good at one-shot groups on game. wink

jim
jim - I could like that set up - ALOT. Nice rig.
I like mine a lot, too. Basically the same rifle as Jim's except the stock is painted black. It's also been abused more over a somewhat longer life.

Mine changes scopes frequently, since it's accurate enough to use as a test rifle for scopes and ammo. Right now it has a 4.75x Weaver Grand Slam, and weighs 6 pounds 4 ounces with the scope. If you can afford a NULA it's probably the top lightweight .30-06.
I considered a light 30-06, and have owned a few, but keep coming back to a light 308 shooting 165 grain bullets. The kimber Montana, Rem Ti, or a faux Ti (ala Cabelas or Gander Mtn) fits the bill nicely.

That said, a friend has an original Ti in 30-06, and sold all of his other rifles.
I bought my first rifle from Melvin in '93: one of his M90 inline muzzleloaders for a special late Utah mule deer hunt (it has a Timney trigger and a ghost ring rear sight). I sent it back to him after I got the M24, and he checked it over and also painted the stock to match the M24. I was thinking that the barrel would probably show some damage, but only has a bit in what would be the "chamber" in a ML. Melvin takes good care of his children.

The M90 has a 28" Lilja barrel that is .500" with .505" grooves, and shoots conicals sized to .501" very well. I use it in the states that require open ignitions and iron sights.

jim
Hard to beat Yukoner's suggested, or I'll add a JC Higgins 51L which is essentially the same thing. Should be able to get you to about 7 lbs. pretty easy. Then you can upgrade to a McMillan for it later as time allows.

I would recommend a Marlin "X" gun in the caliber of your choice.

I own 2, have a 3rd on lay-a-way, and plan on getting a 4th. They may not be fancy, but they will out shoot most guns costing 2-3x as much money. My 30-06 consistantly shoots .75" groups or less, weighs less than 7.25# field ready, has an adjustable trigger, soft recoil pad, pillar bedding, weaver style base included, floating bolt head, and the largest lock lugs compared to other domestic bolt guns.

For $350 or less, they are hard to beat.
how does your 06' shoot?

woofer
Woofer, Shoots 180 Sierra Pro Hunters at .8", 180 SPBT at 1" and 165 Ballistic Tips at an inch. All with RL17. I've only put about 40 rounds through it. With a 6x Weaver on it, it weighs right at 7 pounds. I really think the 180 PH is what I will run but may try some accubonds also. If you find one, they are very nice for the money.
that's an odd number for the muzzle and contour.. seems best of both worlds..... amazing how some of those $5 barrels shoot if you just leave em' on the gun smile never shoot the donor..

woofer
I can spot you 25 or so years, and a I don't see any advantage to a fwt. rifle..They are hard to hold steady off hand on a running shot for one thing, they bounce all over hell on a snap shot especially if your out of breath..but todays society seems to love the fwts, so I would opt for a small ring Mauser custom or a Mod. 70 win. Fwt..both of which do fairly well.

I never have bought off on "you carry one more than you shoot it", not since I couldn't get on target fast enough after walking my butt off all day and it happened more than a few time early on...I want any rifle to weigh at least 8.5 to 9 lbs. I will opt for a short tube if its a tad barrel heavy and puts the weight out front..That's my idea of handy...

Only my personal opinnion as applied to myself, others may prefer a 4 lb. rifle, and thats Ok if is suits them. I think every true hunter goes through this lighter than a feather stage, I know I did..
Originally Posted by JPro
That was the Model 8400. It is the new Model 84 long action Montana that folks are waiting on now. You probably knew that....

I did not know that. Thanks for the update.
© 24hourcampfire