Home
Posted By: MWC gun cleaning - 11/06/10
Is there a rule of thumb on what type of lubricant to use on different gun parts? When should I use a grease and when do I use oil? This would apply to a Benelli auto shotgun.
Thanks.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: gun cleaning - 11/07/10
MWC-
An informed answer to your question will depend on the type of gun. An M-1 Garand is lubed differently than a Browning Superposed, for example.

Can you give us a hint as to what type of gun you want to lube? Then the pros on the forum can get out their thumbs and provide some rules.

--Bob
Posted By: nighthawk Re: gun cleaning - 11/07/10
I have one, for what it's worth. I use a lubricant designed to function under high contact pressure where it exists in a firearm, say a cocking cam on a bolt action, which usually means a moly loaded synthetic grease. And a lighter oil where there is lighter contact pressure and the lubricant is less likely to get squeezed out. I usually grab Break Free for that though a lot of other oils will work.

Manufacturer's instructions overrule all rules of thumb, of course.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: gun cleaning - 11/07/10
I've always figured that if they slide, grease 'em, and oil if they rotate.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: gun cleaning - 11/08/10
Originally Posted by MWC
This would apply to a Benelli auto shotgun.
Thanks.

MWC-
Ah! The specification of firearm type helps.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions if you have them or can get them.

Alternatively, take your question to the Benelli forum on shotgunworld.com. There are a number of Benelli shooters there who are pretty knowledgeable about the guns, and since each has at least one thumb, you're likely to be able to read multiple rules. I did a quick search and found about 3-4 threads on lubrication.

Benelli forum: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=61

Good luck.
-Bob

Posted By: savage62 Re: gun cleaning - 11/08/10
Use transmission fluid never mine the grease
Posted By: orion03 Re: gun cleaning - 11/08/10
Just a light film of oil, it's a Benelli, just shoot it and forget it.
© 24hourcampfire