Home

Considering both new and used...

Not concerned with non-toxic or steel shot...

Just lead...

What is the most reliable semiauto 10 gauge shotgun ?

Ithaca
Remington
Browning
Other

Browning - Remington would come in a close second.
I can't tell you which is best but I have been shooting an SP10 for more than 15yrs for ducks, geese, and turkeys and have never had a malfunction or needed a repair.

405wcf

You want to shoot it more than once?
Having owned three Browning Gold 12 ga. shotguns, I would vote for the Browning Gold 10 ga.
Rem SP 10 has served me well
Originally Posted by Hammer1

Considering both new and used...

Not concerned with non-toxic or steel shot...

Just lead...

What is the most reliable semiauto 10 gauge shotgun ?

Ithaca
Remington
Browning
Other

Of course, you could also consider a 12 ga. 3.5" semiauto- lots more to choose from, and the 3.5 gives up very little, if anything, to the 10 ga.

Ammo is also a lot easier to find, and is cheaper, in 12 ga.
Remington SP10. I've had mine since mid 90s. Taken a lot of geese with and it has been completely reliable. Also very comfortable gun to shoot. Of four of us hunting together 2 had Remingtons and 2 had Brownings. The SP10s pattern better than the Brownings in our group.
This might just be what you're looking for:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owning_Invector_Gold_10_gaug#Post4426919
If you do consider the 3 1/2" 12ga, do not overlook the Win Super X2. I have one with a 26" barrel and tubes and I am very pleased with it. Mine is blk/syn and butt ugly, but shoots everything from target loads to 3 1/2" mags. Same as a Browning Gold, at a better price. Good luck.

Pardon me for listing a 12 ga, the "new" Beretta A400 XPLOR, that cycles 2 3/4--3 1/2 inchers without adjustments, weighs only 6 1/2 lbs (has recoil buffeting system), and is good to look at unlike most of the big autos.
I never had any issues with the Browning Gold.
I wish that I had a Browning Gold. I just mentioned that the Win X2 is the very same shotgun only at a cheaper price. That is why I own one.
My cousin has had an original Mag-10 Ithaca since their first year of production, and it's still running well. He took a few years off goose hunting, but has used it for turkeys in place of waterfowling. He's had no issues that I'm aware of.

From what I can gather, the Remington is just a revamped Mag-10, so it should run well, also.
I've shot the Ithaca a bit, it doesn't kick so much as push, you just kinda roll back with it. Gawd, it was awkward, though, like trying to swing an I-beam. Huge gun.
My SP10 was good..
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My cousin has had an original Mag-10 Ithaca since their first year of production, and it's still running well. He took a few years off goose hunting, but has used it for turkeys in place of waterfowling. He's had no issues that I'm aware of.

From what I can gather, the Remington is just a revamped Mag-10, so it should run well, also.
I've shot the Ithaca a bit, it doesn't kick so much as push, you just kinda roll back with it. Gawd, it was awkward, though, like trying to swing an I-beam. Huge gun.

I used to have one of those Ithaca Mag-10's, back in my goose pass-shooting days. It did a great job, but it was indeed awkward and heavy. Nearly impossible to handle in a blind, in tight quarters. When I started doing much more blind shooting over decoys, I sold the Mag 10, bought a 12 ga. 3.5", and never looked back.

Still have some old 10 ga. lead ammo left, tho....
The SP10 has been the most unreliable shotgun I have ever used.
I had a ton of problems with shells hanging up in the mag tube, until I pulled out the follower and went to town with a Dremel on it in an effort to widen its clearance with the tube and keep it from hanging up.
My rub with a ten gauge is that fact that it doesnt do much more than a 3.5 12 and it weighs a bunch more,ammo cost more and is less available.
The last few years I have been shooting Black Cloud 3" #3 out of a Benelli SBE and have gotten better performance in most conditions vs. the sp-10.
3.5 inch 10s just flat outkill 3.5 inch 12s. Always have. The 3.5 12 is like a 3 inch 410 IMHO. Works ok, but there is better out there.

The cost difference of shells isn't enough for me to worry about vs how many get shot a year, a couple of cases of shells of 10 ga wouldn't start to even cover my fuel bills for the vehicle, never mind the airboat.....and lodging and food..

I only have a BPS 10 at this time, but I can consistently kill furhter with it than with any 12 I've shot.

I'm in the same boat.. which semi 10 to buy? All the research I've read says SP10 by a hair over the Gold 10. Bottom line both seem like they'll have hiccups but do fine. I have a well beaten 11-87 that everyone says is junk, but its never missed a lick yet and I had a misfeed twice the other weekend with an 870, but never the 11-87. And I've seen a few benellis go down in teh field and or need to be cleaned while hunting with them so I'm not sold that they are the end all either...

Is a 10 big and heavy, yeah, but not so much that it really makes a difference to me.. my BPS has a short barrel and that makes a lot of difference over the 30 inch it came with....

The question to the end of this... do you REALLY need the 10, and if so its by far a better choice thna the long 12s. But in reality most all the hunting most folks do can be covered by a 3 inch 12 of your choice.

As far as ammo availability, I'm not one to be looking for a few boxes, I either load or buy by the case for each year.
Originally Posted by rost495
3.5 inch 10s just flat outkill 3.5 inch 12s

True dat! And I really like the 3.5 inch 12...been shootin' em' in my SBE since they first came out. But they pale in comparison next to the big 10 in killing power. This has been my experience. Triple B's out of my Browning semi-auto 10 gauge just hammer the ducks and geese.
In my opinon throwing 3.5s out of a mossberg 835 or 935 12ga is as good as you can get. Show me a shotgun that will pattern on par with a mossberg 835 or 935.. giving up choke tube selection and shell selection to get to a 10ga. I dont think your gonna hit anything with a 10 ga that a 12 ga throwing 3.5s of hevi or nitro wouldnt of folded. But if your mind is set on a 10, a sp10 or gold 10 is the only way to go
My Ithaca Mag 10 has a pin in the bolt that has been known to slide out a bit to the point that it jams against the inside of the receiver and binds up the action. I have bagged a lot of game with it and plan on using it to blast some turkeys this spring.
Started driving a SP 10 in 93, then went to a M1 Super 90,the M1 was then replaced with an Extrema.

After dabbling with that for awhile I realized that I killed as many ducks/geese with the 12 ga. 3" loaded with appropriate shot/choke combo as I did with with the 10 or 3.5 twelve.

Running a Vinci now and spanked geese and ducks this year like never before. As with everything choke/shot placement/loads trump all.

As for reliability, the SP 10 doesn't even rate being in the conversation with the Benelli/Beretta offerings I've sampled.
3.5 inch 10s just flat outkill 3.5 inch 12s. Always have. The 3.5 12 is like a 3 inch 410 IMHO. Works ok, but there is better out there.

Thats not been my experience and not even close.
Originally Posted by Powerguy
Started driving a SP 10 in 93, then went to a M1 Super 90,the M1 was then replaced with an Extrema.

After dabbling with that for awhile I realized that I killed as many ducks/geese with the 12 ga. 3" loaded with appropriate shot/choke combo as I did with with the 10 or 3.5 twelve.

Running a Vinci now and spanked geese and ducks this year like never before. As with everything choke/shot placement/loads trump all.

As for reliability, the SP 10 doesn't even rate being in the conversation with the Benelli/Beretta offerings I've sampled.

I am of the same opinion on all points. The sp-10 is a boat anchor IMO.
Originally Posted by BWalker

Thats not been my experience and not even close.

Then your mileage and mine are not close. When we have to pass shoot birds, the 10 just flat hammers birds. I"m not sure if its all related to the shot column, but to ignore shot column size vs the patterns is to ignore ballistics. I will say though, that I"ve shot probably only less than 20 cases of 10s, and about 12 cases of 12 /3.5 inch... but its pretty clear the 10, in my hands, has a higher kill percentage than the 12.

Mostly a 3 inch 12 does anything I need it to, but I've found that if I have need for a larger shell, the 10 is it.

I found it the same way when hunting turkeys. I've been able to make better kills furhter out there with the 10 than with the 12.

I even looked at shell prices this morngin.... there was a meaningful 50-60 bucks difference per flat of 10s vs 12s... not enough to sweat at all.

But the bottom line here, we can agree to disagree. And trust me, I'd rather have one good 12 that I shot all the time, but thats just not the way it goes for me.

If memory serves me...

Elmer liked a 10 gauge.

© 24hourcampfire