Home
Posted By: Hammer1 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11

Any update on either the shells or what guns will be available for the 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ?

Any field or range reports ?

From Fiocchi's digital online catalog... "28 gauge 3 inch: an absolute novelty! No ammunition manufacturer has ever produced a 28 gauge in a 3 inch. Case length. The ballistics appear to be extremely interesting and the round promises to be a very good performer. Some of the major shotgun manufacturer are going to introduce this new chambering during 2010."

On page 40 of Fiocchi's 2011 catalog, their ballistics tables show a 3-inch 28 gauge with loads of #4, #5, and #6 size shot.

On page 287 of the 2011 Gun Digest, it reads "Fiocchi is fielding two new cartridges this year: a 28 gauge 3-inch and the..."

Posted By: reelman Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11
OK I have to ask what is the reasoning behind a 3" 28ga? 28 ga is already obscure enough that ammo prices are through the roof I can only imagine what an even more obscure thing like a 3" would cost, plus if you need the power isn't there already a thing called a 20ga out there?
Posted By: Mesabi Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11
This is just Hammer1's "silly question of the week" gambit. Check his posts: He's a pro.
Anyone know when the 5# Unobtanium Hammer will be introduced?

Maybe before the 3" 28?
Posted By: Pugs Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11
Originally Posted by reelman
OK I have to ask what is the reasoning behind a 3" 28ga? 28 ga is already obscure enough that ammo prices are through the roof I can only imagine what an even more obscure thing like a 3" would cost, plus if you need the power isn't there already a thing called a 20ga out there?

Concur. I love the 28 gauge, in fact I'm passing 7x57Steve a check this weekend for his 28 gauge Parker repro, but I can't picture why I would want 3/4 oz of shot for one. It is what it is and what is is damn near perfect for upland hunting over a good pup IMO.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11
OK Pugs, send me the pics once you get it smile did you guys go this weekend?
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/19/11

Take that as a "No" as to whether you have field tested them yet.

As to the #5 Unobtanium Hammer, handled a 28 gauge Benelli Legacy today which comes in at just under five pounds, but alas it has a 2�-inch chamber.

Posted By: reelman Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11
Originally Posted by Mesabi
This is just Hammer1's "silly question of the week" gambit. Check his posts: He's a pro.

So you're saying he's just a troll?
I have seen pics of a Krieghoff (I think) that had three inch chambers. It was on one of the shotgun forums.

I have no idea if it was true or if they had 3 inch engraved on the gun just to be funny.

Dink
Posted By: bhemry Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11
The only real use I've given a shotgun for the last 30 years or so, has been for the 2 dozen or so deer and a turkey I've shot with them.

That being said, I've noticed Hammer 1's shotgun-related questions of late, and while I'll probably never be much of a shotgun kinda' guy, I'm learning a lot and finding the questions & responses both very informative and interesting... you know, just in case I ever decide to delve deeper into shotguns someday. wink

Posted By: Pugs Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Zeke, Suz, Steve and I heading out this afternoon to do a bit.
Originally Posted by Hammer1

Take that as a "No" as to whether you have field tested them yet.

As to the #5 Unobtanium Hammer, handled a 28 gauge Benelli Legacy today which comes in at just under five pounds, but alas it has a 2�-inch chamber.

How the hell would someone have tried them out, when they aren't in production yet?
3" shot shells are a curious twist of math wherein by lengthening the shell one actually degrades the system. Otherwise we might have but one gauge in fractional increments from 2" to 12", the latter suitable for Jurassic Park.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Posted By: Pugs Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11
About the only place I've found 3" helps in 12 gauge with steel shot. Now with all the steel alternatives I think if I was still an avid ducker I'd go back to bismuth or some such 2 3/4"
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11

Originally Posted by "Hammer1"

Any update on either the shells or what guns will be available for the 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ?

Originally Posted by "ratsmacker"

How the hell would someone have tried them out, when they aren't in production yet?

If you know for a fact that the 3-inch 28 gauge shells and guns are not in production then that is an update.

Thank you.

Do your sources at Fiocchi know when they will start production ?

Posted By: Hammer1 Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/20/11

Yes.

Anyone who would ask about a product announced with great fanfare by a 134 year-old fly-by-night company like Fiocchi in their annual catalog, shown in their ballistics table the following year with three loads for it, covered in a ragged old publication like the 65th edition 2011 Gun Digest, discussed in�.

Yes, anyone who would ask about a follow-up to such a new product could be nothing other than a troll.

a 134 year-old fly-by-night company like Fiocchi

Now that the truth is out.....

Yes.

Anyone who would ask about a product announced with great fanfare by a 134 year-old fly-by-night company like Fiocchi in their annual catalog, shown in their ballistics table the following year with three loads for it, covered in a ragged old publication like the 65th edition 2011 Gun Digest, discussed in�.

Yes, anyone who would ask about a follow-up to such a new product could be nothing other than a troll.

And since you're a genuine whiz on the keyboard how about YOU finding guns chambered for the 3" and tell us all about it. We may not give a chitt, but hey...someone else might.
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11

I was only asking nicely for an update from those in the know about a product that had been announced but I hadn't seen on store shelves.

The information I posted is from Fiocchi's company materials and from the Gun Digest which I assume everyone buys and reads every year.

I most definitely am not a whiz on the internet.

I did not expect that those who don't "give a chitt" and did not have any information to share for an update would be so offended and throw a hissy fit.

Just a guess but there's a lot of folks not readin' that one. There's a vast chasm between not givin' a chitt and hissy fittin' and you seem more upset than the rest that posted to your topic.

Question remains however, why would anyone want to screw up a good thing like a 2-3/4" 28?

Maybe Taurus is going to put it in a revolver?

For those who like huge revolvers with dubious ballistics!

There may be some merit to the longer shell for loading non-toxic shot for water fowl or other restricted uses to the same weight as regular lead shot loads.

Lot of folks like the 28 gauge for upland birds like pheasants which seem to be having more restrictions on lead loads these days.

May be...

There's better gauges for water fowl and pheasants than the 28 although it will work in certain circumstances. Regardless of style of shot a 2-3/4" 20 ga. is ahead of the 28, 7 days a week.

Most folks shooting 28s are doing so for artistic merit (quail, timber doodles etc) or busting clays, that being a place where the 3" shells are not allowed. Guessin' the sun will rise in the north before 3" 28s gains notoriety. GD said 2010...it's 2011, hope you aren't holding your breath.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11

From Fiocchi's digital online catalog... "28 gauge 3 inch: an absolute novelty! No ammunition manufacturer has ever produced a 28 gauge in a 3 inch. Case length. The ballistics appear to be extremely interesting and the round promises to be a very good performer. Some of the major shotgun manufacturer are going to introduce this new chambering during 2010."

On page 40 of Fiocchi's 2011 catalog, their ballistics tables show a 3-inch 28 gauge with loads of #4, #5, and #6 size shot.

On page 287 of the 2011 Gun Digest, it reads "Fiocchi is fielding two new cartridges this year: a 28 gauge 3-inch and the..."

Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist

Found another reference to the 3-inch 28 gauge.

Fiocchi Ammunition USA Ammunition
Fiocchi 283HV75 Shooting Dynamics 28 Ga 3" #7.5 7/8oz 1330FPS
Product ID: 187717
UPC: 762344707983
MFG ID: 283HV75

TGSCOM Inc.
Green Bay, Wisconsin

Have no idea whether the TGSCOM Inc. company even exists, if it has ever had the product, or will ever have the product.

Again, have no idea whether this is a bad joke by Fiocchi with too much time on their hands, whether they intend to make such a load, and whether gun makers will build a gun for it.

Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist

With a fair amount of support, that could be said of every new cartridge introduction in the past fifty years.

And of every new model gun introduction in the past fifty years too.

But without new ammunition and new guns to write about...

There is a 3-inch 28 gauge SxS Huglu for sale on the 28 Gauge Society forum.

It is not a misprint as the seller emphasizes more than once the 3-inch chamber.

http://28gasociety.46.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=407

So maybe there are guns and ammo ?

Maybe ?

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11
Why???? Holy mackerel, who needs it? I don't know a single shotgunner who uses a 28 for birds and clays (like me) who doesn't also have 20's, 16's, and 12's in their arsenals too which fill the bill much better when heavier shot payloads are required. If I wanted one gun to do it all I certainly wouldn't pick a 28, even with 3" capability (that coming from someone who shoots more 28s than all the rest combined). Like someone else said. it's the answer to a question that doesn't exist.
Let us know when they show up in every Ed and Fred's gunshops across the country.......................
Posted By: Hammer1 Lesson re-learned - 02/21/11

Lesson Re-learned

Originally Posted by "Hammer1"

Ask a simple direct question in a polite way.

Wonder how people with no information concerning the simple answer respond ?

On Monday morning call FiocchiUSA, who knows the answer.

Wonder how people who know the answer respond ?

Get a very polite person who gives the answer to the original question.

Also emailed the question to Ballistic Products, which is a large retailer of Fiocchi products, and who may know the simple answer to the original simple question.

They did.

Ballistic Products wrote back a nice email with the simple answer.

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/21/11
That's nice.
Posted By: hatari Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by Pugs

I see you're running with Riff Raff wink again.

A well balanced 28g is like a conductors baton in the field. Pure joy to shoot, and deadly on quail.
Posted By: Pugs Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Pugs

I see you're running with Riff Raff wink again.

A well balanced 28g is like a conductors baton in the field. Pure joy to shoot, and deadly on quail.

And Steve is the pusher of the worst kind of drugs! Surely I can find a cheaper habit. grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/21/11
Well I sure as hell can't. Just sent in my check for that Verney 450NE smile
Jorge....you suck. laugh
Posted By: hatari Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/22/11
Beauty!

Should you take The General afield, I'll loan him my Ugartechea. That way he won't feel like a poor relation in your company. I know what fragile egos you guys sport. wink
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/22/11
Oh! you have no Idea! I'd feel totally nekked with my Orion GII! frown

Dan: thanks!
Posted By: Pugs Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/22/11
Originally Posted by hatari
Beauty!

Should you take The General afield, I'll loan him my Ugartechea. That way he won't feel like a poor relation in your company. I know what fragile egos you guys sport. wink

Certainly need to get in the field next year for some birds with you guys. Fragile egos are for the fighter guys. Us Prowler sorts are used to being the fat slow kid in the Airwing that get no respect until they need us. grin
Posted By: hatari Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/22/11
I'm all for it. Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of using a nicely balanced 28g in the field has missed out on fun.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 3-inch 28 gauge Fiocchi ? - 02/22/11
I resemble that remark, although the F-4 virus never left me... smile
Posted By: GunReader Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/22/11

On Monday morning call FiocchiUSA, who knows the answer.

Get a very polite person who gives the answer to the original question.

Also emailed the question to Ballistic Products, which is a large retailer of Fiocchi products, and who may know the simple answer to the original simple question.

They did.

Ballistic Products wrote back a nice email with the simple answer.

Okay. You've got me on the edge of my seat... What's the answer?
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/22/11

Will gladly send you a polite PM with the answer.

But was informed very emphatically by the powers that be that they don't "give a chitt."

So don't want to cross them by supplying a needless, unwanted answer that might interfere somehow with their daily routine.

Posted By: Pugs Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/22/11
So let me see if I get this right. You started with this.

and you finished with this

But was informed very emphatically by the powers that be that they don't "give a chitt."

I didn't think that it was possible to see an actual example of negative knowledge gain on the campfire but you've proven me wrong. crazy
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/22/11

Surprising, ain't it.

Posted By: Pugs Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/23/11

Surprising, ain't it.

My fault really. I should have looked at your other posts and realized what was going to happen and that you really didn't want any inputs.
Posted By: Hammer1 Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/23/11

Just wanted the simple answer to the original question asked.

Not sure why that is so difficult to comprehend.

Other inputs can be helpful and can be appreciated as such.

Don't really believe any of the other inputs were intended to be helpful...

But good fun was had by some so all is well.

I have learned a lot on the 24hourcampfire forum.

A lot by reading the posts of others and never once inserting a thought of my own.

Some by asking a question and actually getting answers from folks who had knowledge and was willing to share it.

Some by contacts made through the forum and then using emails and PMs to learn.

The 24hourcampfire forum is one of the best there is for learning.

Yet you now claim to have information but won't share it with the group.

Why I don't know but apparently you feel good about it.

The answer was posted several hours ago on another thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...63833/No_3_inch_28_gauge_yet#Post4963833

I wanted folks who had a real interest to be able to see the answer quickly without wading through all this.

And this group had already let it be known that they didn't "give a chitt".

The answer was posted several hours ago on another thread.

Ah good. Another thread to help confuse things. That makes sense. crazy

Yes, a simple thread with a straight to the point answer that does not require anyone to wade through this thread.

Yes, a simple thread with a straight to the point answer that does not require anyone to wade through this thread.

Sure - I love posts out of context that float out there and get pushed down out of site like the "reply" to your own post. crazy

I actually learn quite a lot from many of the twists and turns post threads take but I find your posts just plain strange.

Posted By: Mesabi Re: Lesson re-learned - 02/23/11
Me too, Pugs. I don't think the guy who asks why "everyone" dislikes Winchester 101s or why we try to do things "that make no sense" asking about the 3-inch 28 gauge indicates a troll, although he may be a lonely schizophrenic.

Of course, if it was in Gun Digest, it will come to pass. After all, they told me the Ruger XGI will be here shortly.
© 24hourcampfire