Home
Posted By: herschel34 Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
I've used bags in the past, but they have to be replaced now.

Do you prefer bags or a rest? Pros/cons?

These will be used for load development and sighting in scopes.
I like bags on rests grin. Pics will explain:

[Linked Image]

I'd stay away from the lead sled.
Posted By: Outcast Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
I've used both. Prefer a rest but, like anything else, it's more about the shooter than his equipment.

O
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
Like others, bags up fron certainly work in a pinch but a front rest helps me keep it consistent. In the rear I generally use a Protecktor (sp) bag. This is a Hart front rest.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noKnees Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
Rest with a bag up front and rear bag for me too.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
That's the set up I have in mind.

Who makes the rear rest?

Thanks
herschel34, the front is a protektor and the rear is a stoney point. The height is perfect for all the rifles I use. I'd get a nice front rest like lawdwaz has or a cheaper one like what I use is sufficient. I'm kind of cheap I guess because I didn't want to spend $72.00 for the rear protektor bag. The stoney point is much cheaper and works very well.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
Didn't pay anywhere near $72 for my rear Protektor (not shown above) when I got it. It is a #13 rear bag that can be had for a decent (YMMV) price...............

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=35216/Product/Protektor_Rabbit_Ear_Rear_Bag

The front rest (Hart) was not cheap but as in many things, you get what you pay for.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

1+ This is the set up I use. Love it. Tried the lead sled. Did not like it.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/20/11
Just looked up the price on a protektor rear bag. I think it's the "rabbit ears" for $37.

What do you all use to fill the bags?
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Didn't pay anywhere near $72 for my rear Protektor (not shown above) when I got it. It is a #13 rear bag that can be had for a decent (YMMV) price...............

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=35216/Product/Protektor_Rabbit_Ear_Rear_Bag

The front rest (Hart) was not cheap but as in many things, you get what you pay for.

Thats an excellent deal on that rear bag. Didn't know what bag you were talking about since your using a bag of lead shot in the pic (damn that is $40.00 worth anyway grin). The one I'd like to have is $72.00 at midway, but the one I use now is working great so I can't see spendind the money. Although the one you show for $29.00 would be worth looking at for sure. Here's the one I'd like to have some day when I'm rich:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=180263
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Hate to burst your bubble but the rear bag in my picture is loaded with sand from my kids last sand box!!

That lead shot is Toooooooo toxic for me!!
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Hate to burst your bubble but the rear bag in my picture is loaded with sand from my kids last sand box!!

That lead shot is Toooooooo toxic for me!!

I hear you. Don't know if I'd rather sniff lead or the sand from the sand box (damn cats anyways grin)
The OP question is a good one anyways. I know we've all been there and done that. We've probably experimented to find the exact height or stability. From the pic I think Lawdawz has grin. In all seriousness though, I like using sand or a mix of sand and corn cob media. Here's what I used to use for bags or bags and rest combos:

[Linked Image]
As you can see with the rifle in the back that combo works pretty good, but you are limited with adjustment.

I used to use this setup too, but I don't like it as much as the original pic:
[Linked Image]

I like the tie on protektor front bag because it is more stable and the rear stoney point works good even though it is meant to be a "front" bag. I may just have to try the rabbit ear rear protektor like lawdawz posted from sinclair.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11

That's the way I do it.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Posted By: herschel34 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Anybody care to elaborate more on the rests? Makes/models?

From what I can tell, elevation and windage adjustments are very helpful, and I assume heavier (eg. cast iron, etc.) would be steadier.

I have my eye on this one
Natchezss Smartreloader Granite
Veddy nice, I think you'd be happy with it. A little heavy, but it would work if you didn't have to carry it too far grin What ever you decide on make sure it doesn't have any plastic parts that will wear out fast. Mine is a cheaper one, but I'm very happy with it. Even one of the cheaper all metal construction models like this are good:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=477308

Just keep an eye on product reviews and you should be pretty safe.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Stick shifts beat bag sqeezing.....
Just sayen.

dave
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
I've always preferred rests and have used the setup in the first pic for a long time. Lately, I've been using a caldwell bag which works just as well for me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
I prefer the bags I make myself. I can't shoot off a rest.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by herschel34
Anybody care to elaborate more on the rests? Makes/models?

From what I can tell, elevation and windage adjustments are very helpful, and I assume heavier (eg. cast iron, etc.) would be steadier.

I have my eye on this one
Natchezss Smartreloader Granite

Here is a nice rest at a decent price...........

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=RWH-N-JB100

Still need to purchase a top rest for it though.

This is the one I have, it comes with a top rest............

http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=RWH-N-H10

Hey this setup even works for wrong handed rifles grin:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Thumper358 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
I think it would be interesting to shoot the same rifle off a combination of different set ups and see if there was much of a difference in group sizes.

The bench rest crowd seems to run off the leather/sand..but these are heavy, flat bottom rigs that basically slide back and bounce very little in free recoil. A 6PPC in a 14LB gun moves very little!

So, soft baggers, do you get itty bitty groups with your light and sporter weight guns? That big Caldwell with the 4 sections looks good to me and supports a lot of the forend.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
I used a variety of sand filled front bags for years, and while they worked ok, they were a pain to lug to the range.

A while ago, I bought a Caldwell Rock front shooting rest.

[Linked Image]

For zeroing and load development, it works well, although it could be a little heavier.

Quality wise, I have no complaints, and while perhaps its too basic for shooting competition, it work works fine for me..

For the rear support, I use a Caldwell rabbits ear bag. Not the quality of some of the leather bags shown earlier in the thread, it still works fine for me and I consider it good value for money..
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Benchmaster.
Posted By: CLB Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Small bag on an adjustable front rest with bags in the rear.

Originally Posted by MCT3
Lately, I've been using a caldwell bag which works just as well for me.
[Linked Image]

I roll the same way as this...but it's from Stoney Point:

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Stoney-Point-Marksmans-Bench-Rest-Shooting-Bag/5258602/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=9C177AAB-B4C3-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA
I tend toward versatility.

None of these will totally eliminate my heart beat from the scope picture, but I am not shooting in competition.

Any of the three will show me where the gun is shooting, and get me inside minute of ground squirrel to a couple hundred yards.

I fail to remember the brand name on the front rest. I picked it up from Sportsman's Whse one day for about $40.00. The rear bag is from Allen and was purchased at Walmart, then filled with sand blasting media.

[Linked Image]

I had rotator cuff surgery to repair a separated tendon 18 months ago. A buddy asked me to work up a load for his 340 Wea last summer. I learned to appreciate the Lead Sled.

[Linked Image]

But for most of my load workups, and scope chores I just shoot over the bags which live on the bench full time. These were sewn by my lovely wife from nylon canvas and filled with sand blasting media. I have about ten bucks into the whole pile. They have endured over ten years exposure to the elements with no ill effects, except they are admittedly ugly.

[Linked Image]

Or in this configuration.

[Linked Image]

Which is good enough for me to shoot groups like this at 132 yds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
The people who use the metal stands above and who shoot off wooden top benches, has anybody considered removing the spiked feet and bolting the stand to the bench top?

It would'nt take a minute or two to bolt it down each shooting session, so that wouldn't be too much hassle..

Any reasons not to do it?
Posted By: catnthehat Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
Front tripod rest with a rear bag is standard for BR work, and what I use for everything when I get serious about accuracy.
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: xphunter Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/21/11
http://sebcoax.com/
http://sebcoax.com/GALLERY/custom%20paint%20rest1.JPG

NEO Rest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zFF4kQrUPc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cMFhsoluU&feature=related

These are expensive, but very nice rests.
Although not a tri-pod front rest, it is amazing what you can do with a good bi-pod and a rear bag.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/22/11
This works well for competition. For testing hunting rigs, I replace the Hoehn windage top with a non-windage Sinclair 3" top and attach a Sinclair 3" fore end adapter to the huntin' stocks.

[Linked Image]

Same rest, different gun, same dirt clod pressin' the trigger. The elevation you can get from a good rest is obvious, here. This is at Painted Post, N.Y. where the 200 yd. targets are 'way uphill.

[Linked Image]
This is the coaxial rest top that I manufacture and sell. 700 are out there at this time. Pays for my shooting habits.
[Linked Image]

www.shadetreeea.com
The rifle belongs to Michael Kavanaugh. I would say he is the premier custom glass stock painter. Kav is now an officer in the Navy and will be going back to Afganistan again soon. He is a very fine young man.
Butch
Originally Posted by Pete E
The people who use the metal stands above and who shoot off wooden top benches, has anybody considered removing the spiked feet and bolting the stand to the bench top?

It would'nt take a minute or two to bolt it down each shooting session, so that wouldn't be too much hassle..

Any reasons not to do it?

Thats a good idea Pet E, but I also use my shooting bench in my garage for a work table too grin. I did however drill some holes in the top of the table to make the rest more secure and it doesn't slide around at all.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is the coaxial rest top that I manufacture and sell. 700 are out there at this time. Pays for my shooting habits.
[Linked Image]

www.shadetreeea.com
The rifle belongs to Michael Kavanaugh. I would say he is the premier custom glass stock painter. Kav is now an officer in the Navy and will be going back to Afganistan again soon. He is a very fine young man.
Butch

That's a thing of beauty butch grin
Posted By: xphunter Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/22/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/22/11
Any body ever use one of these?

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/shooting-rests-sgr.html

Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/22/11
My walnut stocked 375 jumped off of the front rest and hit the sharp edge of the 'fancy' rest. I don't use it any more.

[Linked Image]

Back to the old soft bags.

Posted By: djs Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/24/11
Originally Posted by noKnees
Rest with a bag up front and rear bag for me too.

Same here
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/24/11
In my experience, lightweight rests and hard packed bags cause problems with hunting rifles. The rest moves, and the hard bag causes the rifle to bounce. These setups originated in the benchrest game, which is different in that it involves heavy rifles with light recoil, and stocks designed to ride the bags.

About bolting the rest down, I did that when I had a light rest, and it worked, but it was inconvenient.

Another thing that will cause problems shooting a hunting rifle from a rest is checkering, because it tends to grab the bag. A piece of plastic like a baggie solves that problem.

As any benchrest shooter will confirm, to get optimal accuracy shooting from a rest, the rifle has to move consistently under recoil, and the rest and bag have to stay put.

Paul
Posted By: Outcast Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/25/11
Gave a buddy a large bag to use with his rest. all he had available was the shelled corn he used in his feeders. worked o.k. But he left it at the farm and the next spring we found mice had chewed a hole in the bag and scattered corn everywhere. hellovamess. don't use shelled corn.

O
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/25/11
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Gave a buddy a large bag to use with his rest. all he had available was the shelled corn he used in his feeders. worked o.k. But he left it at the farm and the next spring we found mice had chewed a hole in the bag and scattered corn everywhere. hellovamess. don't use shelled corn.

O

Have had the same thing happen with using seed.

Maybe D-Con is a better choice........ laugh
Posted By: Outcast Re: Shooting bags vs. rest - 02/26/11
Think ya got somethin there whistle
© 24hourcampfire