Home
Posted By: skitish Barrel Bluing - 03/21/11
I had a local gunsmith put together a 25-06 on an old Sako action. I really like the rifle and the accuracy but the gunsmith has tried twice to blue the stainless steel barrel and the bluing is very fragile. Can you suggest a coating that will be durable on a stainless steel barrel?

Mike
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/21/11
If you really want a stainless barrel to be a different color, there are a whole bunch of coatings that will do the job. I've become very fond of Cerakote in recent years--but with a stainless barrel leave it bare most of the time.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/21/11
Have it nitrided. $65.
Posted By: DeskJockey Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/22/11
BarryC, Where do you get the Nitide treatment done?
Posted By: BarryC Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/22/11
Bobby Keegan is the jobber for MMi-Trutec.
229-330-4867.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/23/11
Barry,
I think they have decided to not be interested in the small guy anymore. They are after industry and the military. I was told this last week. I do have 2 barrels that are past due from them.
Butch
Posted By: BarryC Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/23/11
Hmm... Does that mean no more Mr. Keegan?
He was supposed to aggregate orders for MMi so MMi wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of individuals.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/23/11
Barry,
I just talked to Joel Kendrick at MIMI and he said Bobby is Still doing them on a bulk basis. They are just not taking work from individuals anymore.
Butch
Posted By: Bug Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/31/11
So is there another jobber that WILL take in singles from us little guys?
Posted By: BarryC Re: Barrel Bluing - 03/31/11
Originally Posted by Bug
So is there another jobber that WILL take in singles from us little guys?

Yes. Bobby will take your barrel and submit it to MMi along with a bunch of other people's barrels.
© 24hourcampfire