Home
Posted By: Bill_N Jack O'Connor Question - 03/30/11
What happened to his oldest son Jerry? I was reading a couple of his books this week and noticed he dedicated one to Brad and went on to mention his 2 daughters. In an earlier book there are multiple pics of Jerry & Brad.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/30/11
From what I remember, I believe Jerry died in 1968.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/30/11
IIRC, it was late in 1969 that he died. Tragic loss.
Posted By: dawaba Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/30/11
Suicide comes to mind....but I may be wrong.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
IIRC I've read that there was some disconnect between the two but have no idea to what degree or what it was about. I did read somewhere that Jerry served in the army (Korea?)and that had some effect (depression??) on him. The comment went on to say it was one of the bigger regrets on JOC's life.
Posted By: BRoper Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
It seems like I remember something about drugs and alcohol.
Robert Anderson's book covers what happened to Jerry. A very sad case. If you are an O'Connor fan and don't have this book, you are missing out on a lot of information.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
He then enrolled at the University of Missouri, where he earned a Master's Degree in English/Journalism. While there, he met and married Eleanor Barry who became his lifelong hunting companion and mother of their four children: Jerry O'Connor, Bradford O'Connor, Catherine O�Connor and Caroline O'Connor McCullum. Jerry died in 1968, followed by Catherine in 2007.

http://www.jack-oconnor.org/oldsite/faq/faq.htm
Posted By: model70man Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
O'CONNOR, GERALD BARRY
PVT US ARMY
KOREA
DATE OF BIRTH: 11/22/1930
DATE OF DEATH: 12/23/1969

Jerry is buried in the military cemetery in El Paso Texas. You can find his burial spot online. I think he was maybe the last man left in his squad in Korea. After he came back he was changed and drifted aimlessly. They did not know he had died until Brad sent him a Christmas present and it came back marked deceased. It is a very sad story and hurt the O'Connors deeply. Thanks...Bill.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
sad indeed!
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
Thanks for filling in the blank. I noticed this a few years ago but it just occured to me to post the question here this week. That is indeed very sad. Makes you wonder how many people have been affected by war that way...

Bill
Posted By: djs Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
Robert Anderson's book covers what happened to Jerry. A very sad case. If you are an O'Connor fan and don't have this book, you are missing out on a lot of information.

What is the title of Robert Anderson's book?
Posted By: gmoats Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 03/31/11
Originally Posted by djs
What is the title of Robert Anderson's book?

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-OConnor-Robert-Anderson/dp/1571572546

It's an interesting read if you're a devoted O'Connor fan---not unlike The Sword and the Spirit for Jeff Cooper fans.
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/04/11
Thanks for the link.
Been meaning to purchase one for some time - and now it's on it's way.

I had read about Jerry, in a friends copy of Anderson's book.
Very sad indeed.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/05/11
How ironic; I was on another forum the other day, a fellow calling himself "270bradford" had just started posting.
He was asking about a scale someone had bought that belonged to his father[JOC]. I felt like asking if he was indeed Brad, but felt a little uneasy about. He states he was in the Army also. has since retired and lives in PNW. Interesting.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/05/11
BTW, the forum is "The Firingline.com".
Posted By: GregR Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/05/11
I correspond with Bradford from time to time. He is a newspaper writer in, I believe, the Pacific NW. He's a class act.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/05/11
Brad did serve in Korea with the Army, has been retired from the Seattle Times for a number of years, lives in NW. He is indeed a class act, I'm proud to call him a friend.

He is very active in promoting the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center, in Lewiston, Idaho (the Jack O'Connor family home, after they moved from Arizona). The Center could use all the support it can get. Here is a link:

http://www.jack-oconnor.org/
Posted By: Lou_270 Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/10/11
Bradford O'Connor posted here a couple of times in the past. If I remember correctly, he was commenting on photos or questions about his parents' rifles.

Lou
Posted By: Jericho Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/10/11
Didnt JOC pass away in Hawaii?
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/10/11
I believe on the ship home from Hawaii.
Posted By: djs Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/11/11
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
I believe on the ship home from Hawaii.

on the ship from a heart attack, IIRC.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Jack O'Connor Question - 04/11/11
Originally Posted by Lou_270
Bradford O'Connor posted here a couple of times in the past. If I remember correctly, he was commenting on photos or questions about his parents' rifles.

Lou

He lurks here from time to time...he's known as campfire olgeezer.
© 24hourcampfire